• You cannot reply to this topic

Spring Open Server Test?

#1   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderator
    • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:43 PM

So, Spring Break is coming up in the beginning of March and I was wondering if it would be possible to have another Server "Test" for GSW during that time.

Max, you said in the last update that you could use "March to August" to work on GSW, as well as your second post in the "February Draws Near" topic. I don't know if you can work on an online game while it's... online, so if you'd rather work on the game than have it on the server I don't mind.

#2   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
      • Group: Veterans
      • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
      • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:16 PM

Like I've said before, I'd rather wait myself. Besides, it'll give me some extra time to learn Java, and hopefully make a minigame for GSW, should Max accept it.

#3   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
        • Interests:.5% per annum.
        • AKA Spam King

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:55 AM

You're such a suck up. :D Not to mention a boaster.

I really don't give a damn about GSW any more. It seems obvious to me that it will never be completed, and if it is, I doubt it will live up to expectations. Not that Max will benefit from my discouragement, since neither he or Nick ever come online, and seem to ignore anyone who contacts them on MSN. In summary, GSSF is going nowhere.

#4   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
          • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:38 AM

For now I'll keep beleiving that GSW will be completed.
          Anyhow, I would rather wait for July or August to get a more complete version than play a server test if that means creating the completed GSW might be hindered.

#5   Toasty 

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:06 PM

View PostSplit Infinity, on Mar 20 2007, 04:55 AM, said:

You're such a suck up. :D Not to mention a boaster.

And you're any better? Mister spelling error bot.

And Split, GSW will be completed. I don't think anyone would give up on something like that after putting so much time into it.

#6   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
              • AKA Spam King

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:55 PM

He won't give up, he'll just keep delaying it until it eventually becomes forgotten.

#7   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                • Group: Moderator
                • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:57 PM

Split, you're going too far. I don't want this closed, so stop trolling.

#8   Blink 

• Disciple
                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • Group: Members
                  • Interests:Video games, RPGs, Flight Sims, Art, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Golden Sun...<br /><br />omg this used to be mah sig.<br />[url=http://www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/OTHER/blinkstale.jpg[/img]<br />[/url][url=http://www.get--a--life.com/POLKA/polkaindex.html]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/IMG/polkabanner8.gif[/img]<br />[/url]&lt;&lt;--Click!

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:44 PM

Actually, I kinda think a lot of the discouraged mindset around here is because we've been taking the wrong approach to this. I feel like a hypocrite for saying this too...

I think we, honestly, even though I tried to make a motivational topic for Max, need to "get off his ass" about GSW (pardon the term). I've been thrown into a whole new realm of game design recently, something I intend to reveal shortly in full, but I've found that the best motivation is really, for me at least, inspiration. We kinda saw that with the CTF topic, Max commenting on it without telling anyone how he felt bummed about people nagging him about GSW (a first for these boards in quite a while. :D ) and I've felt some of it myself in what I've done as well, seen it in others in other cases, and now feel, er, somewhat bad about bringing up the actual development of it, even in this post.

I hope I am making the right connection though, because if I'm right, the best thing we can do is brainstorm all the cool stuff that could actually happen, the stuff that would happen, and the stuff that would inspire the dedication needed to continue the project. You all remember when we had huge, three page discussions in the suggestions board, talking about all the possibilities and perfecting the ideas. There are some stages of game development where you know exactly what you need to do, and some where you might not really be sure "what next?" if you don't have an official plan laid out. I've run into that, a year after starting my current project, the engine is finally done, along with the first level, and we're at a bit of a standstill as to what level 2 should be like. But at the same time, all I really needed up until now was motivation to actually get everything done for level 1.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm just on a rant about something I really don't understand yet. But I think the best thing we can do, just from what I've seen, and through my own faults, is to think of the best and most reasonable things we can implement in GSW, rather than just sit around hoping for the next GSW server test. I know that's hypocritical, I recently made a topic doing just that, and I'm not sure any more if it was right or wrong. But, I want, above all, for everyone to feel good about this project, and I'm going to probably try in every way I can to help it succeed. Max is certainly doing (or has done) his part so far. Now we just need to be there for support, I just want to make sure it's the right kind.

EDIT: Alright, so I have no doubt I went a little (if not a lot) over the top there. Sorry, I've been feeling the GS drought pretty hard recently I guess. Hence my sudden return, probably. Er, just take this post lightly, if that's even possible.

#9   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                    • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:27 AM

What you said is great Blink, to be honest I haven't looked at it that way, but it makes sence now that you bring it up. You're right.
                    I've been thinking about going through all the suggestion topics and making one big one with all of my favorite ideas I found in those topics. That way it would be easy for Max to see some of the better ideas(though he has probably seen most of them), and also we would have much to discuss in that topic. I just thought I should ask first whether or not I should make it, would it possibly be considered nothing more than spam if I just state the same brainwaves that were said in other topics?

#10   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                      • AKA Spam King

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:56 PM

No, it would be a much better idea to compile everything into a clearly-written form.

#11   Max 

• Administrator
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • Group: Admin

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:40 PM

I'll probably post some of this response into an official news post sometime in the next couple weeks, but let me respond right now.

I fully understand why people are skeptical, and I'm sure I would be too if I were in your shoes. However, I explained why it was going to take me some time to get to it, and so I was frustrated that people kept asking when I had clearly explained my timeframe for work.

On that note, almost exactly as I predicted, things are starting to pick up on my end. The new version of Flash is due to come out in the next two months, and I'm working with a beta version already. Also, Adobe just announced "Apollo" (http://labs.adobe.co...ndex.php/Apollo), which will allow me to deploy GSW on Windows, Mac, and Linux. I've been waiting for Apollo for almost a year now, and the first alpha release was just released to developers. By the time GSW is ready for public consumption this summer, a more final version of Apollo should be available.

Also, our server software has finally caught up to the times, and is primed and ready for this project. It's taken me longer than expected, but this time spent on the backend software will hugely help my work on the actual game.

I don't have anything ready for Spring Break (which starts on Friday for me), but I should have something by summer time. My school workload has dropped off and I'm now done with robotics, so my free time is greatly increased. Once I get back from my Spring Break vacation I will be getting right to work.

As I said at the beginning, I'll be posting a news post on GSS or GSW sites before I leave for my vacation, and it'll contain a more detailed timeframe.

#12   Toasty 

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:21 PM

View PostMax, on Mar 21 2007, 02:40 PM, said:

Also, Adobe just announced "Apollo" (http://labs.adobe.co...ndex.php/Apollo), which will allow me to deploy GSW on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
                          I'm glad you gave a link to that. It might be useful somehow in the AW site. :D

Spring Break starts next friday for us. I'm looking foreward to the next server test, even if it's more than a month from now. Once this whole thing is finished, we might even find ourselves with an increase in new members around here.

Page 1 of 1
                          • You cannot start a new topic
                          • You cannot reply to this topic