Golden Sun Syndicate Forums: Golden Sun Syndicate Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Affirmative Action Thoughts?

Poll: Affirmative Action

Which side are you on?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:42 PM

Wiki Article

To summarize, Affirmative Action refers to giving preference to historically or racially disadvantaged groups in society, and giving them certain priority in things like admissions to college, job offers, etc.

(the Wiki article above has the justification of it, as well as the dissenting opinions)

What's your take on it?

#2   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Veterans
      • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:15 PM

I think that its stupid. It's reverse discrimination and it's unfair to employers, colleges and anyone else affected by it. Businesses and colleges are being forced to accept underqualified applicants over exemplary ones just to satisfy racial quotas. I agree that race is not a legitimate reason to deny someone a postition, but lack of education, inexperience, and poor past performance are. If they really wanted to make a fair system, they would mandate that race not enter into the selection process at all.

#3   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Members
        • Interests:Go Away...

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:25 PM

I'm not out right against it, but I do favor it to a degree. I'd say that it helps races that have had a history of hardship and discrimination in the country, but at the same time, the government can help out in other ways. Its a very split issue.

All in all though, I vote for it.

#4   Nyktos 

• Berserker
        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
          • AKA Felix of Vale

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:34 PM

Ever heard of two wrongs don't make a right? People need to get it through their heads that racism against white people is still racism.

#5   Shikonaurum 

• Lord
          • PipPipPipPip
            • Interests:Slacking, the intarweb, gaming, sleeping. The likes.

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:44 PM

Affirmative action is technically defined as giving people equal opportunity, and the current affirmative action spree is to pretty much say "Sorry for not treating you equally before."

The main problem with this definition of affirmative action is that there is no way to enforce it. That's where the quotas come in.

But I'd like to maintain this: Affirmative action does not automatically mean quotas.

I'm against quotas, but I'm all for equality. It's a pity that affirmative action equates quotas too often these days.

#6   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
              • Group: Veterans
              • Interests:.5% per annum.
              • AKA Spam King

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:08 PM

This is basically saying 'People like you used to be discriminated, so enjoy your revenge!'

#7   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                • Group: Admin

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:15 PM

To give the other side of the argument some defense, is it fair to NOT do anything then?

Is it fair for the disadvantaged minority groups (i.e. African Americans, Hispanics, etc.) to lose out simply because of their economic and social status? The reality is (I know this might come off as too broad and even stereotypical, but...) that whites are generally brought up in better neighborhoods, have a more solid financial status, etc.

It wouldn't seem fair to have entire groups of people lose out just because they couldn't "match" up to the white lifestyle, so to speak.

Page 1 of 1
                • You cannot start a new topic
                • You cannot reply to this topic