• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Component #1: Data Entry

#1   Max 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:17 AM

A website is nothing without content. And before the webpages can even be created, the underlying content must be generated and stored in a database.

Historically, GSS has existed as a collection of static HTML pages. This means that they were written by hand (most often using a tool like Adobe Dreamweaver), and that every time it needed to be edited or the design changed, a human would have to slave for hours to change it. However, that will all change now, as the new site will automatically generate pages based on data in the database and small templates created by humans. This topic covers the database aspect of this process.

While most of the content for the current GSS site was derived directly from the GS games, it no longer makes sense to redo that effort. Therefore, we will be using a number of sources to gather information from to expedite the process. Most of the needed information can be gleaned directly from the existing GSS website. Unfortunately, some of the pages are broken or missing certain bits of content. Another source of data is our sister site, Golden Sun Realm. If a required piece of information cannot be found on either of those two sites, then we can search through existing printed materials (such as the Prima or Nintendo Power strategy guides) or other online resources (such as GameFAQs or other GS websites). In all cases, I ask that you please report any sources you use besides GSS or GSR in a PM to me for copyright/liability reasons.

To allow for easy, noob-friendly data entry, I have set up a website administration page dedicated to the task. The URL and logins for this page will only be given out to approved members. I will give each user access only to those pages for which he/she is responsible. Following is a list of the content pages that require data entry at this time:
    • Armors
    • Characters
    • Cities
    • Classes
    • Codes/Cheats
    • Djinn
    • Enemies
    • Items
    • Powerups
    • Psynergies
    • Scenery
    • Summons
    • Weapons
    • Blacksmith Forges
    Please note that these are not the only pages that are on the site, just the ones that need data entry at this point in the project.

If you would like to be responsible for one of these pages, please post a reply to this thread along with an estimation of how much time you would have to work on it in the near-future. I will run this on a mostly first-come, first-served basis, but I reserve the right to remove/revoke people's access based on behavior, inactivity, or any other reason. Approved users will be sent a PM with details and will be given access to the private contributors forum.

#2   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Veterans
      • Interests:.5% per annum.
      • AKA Spam King

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:36 PM

Data entry, eh? I'd be willing to lend a miniscule hand in furthering the site. Does this require more than a basic knowledge of HTML, or some other script?

#3   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

The only knowledge required is the ability to read a webpage and copy necessary bits of information into a web form. I think most fourth graders could handle this job, so I would hope that most of you can.

#4   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
          • AKA Spam King

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:47 PM

But I got held back... :)

Just kidding, I reckon I could field this. I might be able to contribute an hour a day, maybe more on weekends.

#5   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:19 PM

For the sake of future replies: Please post what page you would like to take responsibility for. If you are going to be doing tedious, somewhat-boring work, I want you to at least be doing a page that you want to do.

#6   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
              • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:20 PM

Grade-school-level gruntwork eh? Sign me up!

I'd like to do the Djinn or Blacksmith forges if I have to choose a category. I can't promise consistency, but I do have a lot of free time. I think the shortest incriment I'll get is about an hour a day. Sometime's I'll get as many as Four or Five, but that dosn't mean I can concentrate for that long.

Approved by Max for Djinn page.

#7   kierryuki1212 

• New User
                • Group: Members

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:31 AM

Oi? Fourth graders can do this stuff?

I may be able to do the psynergy page... I may be a newb or a n00b... Whatever you'd like to call me... But I DO have a lot of free time... I spend most of my time either writing or doing stuff on the internet so I should be able to to a job...

Approved by Max for Psynergies

#8   The Wind Seer 

• Slayer
                • PipPipPipPipPip
                  • Interests:My interests are swimming, video games (like age of empires, golden sun series, star wars battlefront, halo 2), reading good books (long exciting types), learning, exercising, taking my dog for a walk, and soccer!

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:45 PM

I'll do the Cities or Djinni.

P.S.
                  http://rpg-home.luna...-web/index.html
                  ^ Good Site of Golden Sun Data.

#9   Mars Djinni 

• Master Adept
                    • Interests:Martial Arts:<br />- Weapons (Bo staff :D)<br />- Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino styles<br /><br />Video Games: <br />Fire Emblem, Zelda, Megaman, Super Smash Bros., Age of Empires/Mythology, Final Fantasy, etc.<br /><br />Movies, Web Design, Foruming-ing-ing, Sprites and Digital Art, Drawing, Writing, Anime, etc.

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:28 PM

I'll take the summons. I think I can do this pretty quickly and efficiently considering my weeks are gonna be stress free from here on out. I've been doing a healthy portion of the data entry last time, but I think the Summons are more appealing to me this time.

Approved by Max for Summons

#10   Nyktos 

• Berserker
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • AKA Felix of Vale

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:37 AM

I'd be willing to do the blacksmith guide.

#11   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                        • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                        • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:24 PM

View PostMax, on May 20 2007, 10:17 AM, said:

In all cases, I ask that you please report any sources you use besides GSS or GSR in a PM to me for copyright/liability reasons.

View PostThe Wind Seer, on May 21 2007, 09:45 PM, said:

P.S.
                        http://rpg-home.luna...-web/index.html
                        ^ Good Site of Golden Sun Data.

Just remember to PM any other sources you have to Max, like he asked. But on a side note, I suggested a very similar site to him already.

As far as data entry goes, I've never been to fond of work that was repetitive, but I'll take on the Codes/Cheats section. After all, I've got a lot of experience in that area. :unsure:

#12   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:30 AM

Nyktos, the Blacksmith Guide cannot be done until after the Armor, Items, and Weapons pages have been completed (since it refers to those). Would you like to volunteer for another page instead?

#13   Nyktos 

• Berserker
                          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                            • AKA Felix of Vale

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:03 AM

I'll do characters then.

Approved by Max for Characters pages.

#14   The Wind Seer 

• Slayer
                            • PipPipPipPipPip
                              • Interests:My interests are swimming, video games (like age of empires, golden sun series, star wars battlefront, halo 2), reading good books (long exciting types), learning, exercising, taking my dog for a walk, and soccer!

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:20 AM

View PostMr.T, on May 22 2007, 04:24 PM, said:

Just remember to PM any other sources you have to Max, like he asked. But on a side note, I suggested a very similar site to him already.

Yep. I know.

#15   Toasty 

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:43 PM

Actually, I changed my mind. I'll do the monster's page. I've already done some research on some of them, and have found out that many monsters actually have an affiliation with more than one element. I'd really like to contribute that to the site.

#16   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                  • AKA Spam King

Posted 24 May 2007 - 02:07 PM

Not fair, they took all the good stuff! Whatever happened to first come, first served?

Just set me up with anything, I'm used to being an auxillary sort of person.

#17   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 24 May 2007 - 03:09 PM

Mr. T: What exactly do you mean by "many monsters actually have an affiliation with more than one element"? And where did you see/learn this?

Spam King: We really need the armor, items, and weapons pages done to get working on other things. Which would you prefer?

I am going to be leaving tomorrow afternoon for the holiday weekend, which means I won't be able to add people to the admin site after tonight until Monday night. So please post before about 11pm EST today if you want to do any work over the weekend.

#18   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                      • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 24 May 2007 - 03:14 PM

I'll take the items page =)
                                      Everything seems to be on GSS already ^^

Approved by Max for Items Page

#19   Toasty 

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:57 AM

View PostMax, on May 24 2007, 02:09 PM, said:

Mr. T: What exactly do you mean by "many monsters actually have an affiliation with more than one element"? And where did you see/learn this?

What I mean is, is that some monsters are strong against (for example) both earth and water attacks (i.e. those type of attacks do little damage to them).

I learned this by battleing some monsters outside of Bilibin cave in GoldenSun (the cave that leads to the frozen lands in the north, where Imil is). I attacked those monsters with djinn to ensure that they took elemental damage, and by watching the text at the bottom of the screen during the battle, I was able to tell which attacks were most effective.

Platinum Sun figured out that if an attack is super effective, there will be three exclamation points after the amount of damage, for neutral effectivness, there will be one, and for weak effectiveness, there will be a period. I used that method to distinguish which attacks were effective against which monsters.

At first, I thought that the origional belief that (or example) earth was strong against wind and vise versa was wrong. Then after a while, I noticed that some monsters were strong against both wind and earth.

I origionally came across this when I was trying to see what affiliation some monsters had, along with going in deoth for myself, how the elemental affiliation worked.

I didn't use any cheat codes while testing this, and if you want to test it for yourself, I was battling monsters in this area of Weyard (particularly right below the arrow). It should, however, apply to any place in weyard. Though not all monsters have more than one affiliation.
                                        http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/74/untitledmn8.png
                                        Hope you enjoyed my little "documentary." :P

#20   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
                                          • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:03 PM

I could do Classes. Schools about over, so I have quite a bit of time to do this.

#21   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 28 May 2007 - 01:20 PM

Mr. T.: Yes, monsters have stats (elemental power and resistances) just like the characters do, and thus can have multiple strengths/weaknesses. But they still have a single main elemental weakness (the one that makes them flash when killed with a djinni of that element). You have two options at this point: (a) start data entry for monsters now, and go back and add item drop information later when all the armor/item/weapon data entry is complete, or (:P wait to do data entry for monsters until the armor/item/weapon data entry is complete. In case (:), would you want to do armor or weapons? In case (a), let me know and I'll set you up immediately.

FlamingDuck: Due to the very complicated nature of classes, I'm going to handle them myself. To make the database flexible, I've had to make the data entry a multi-multi-step process, which can seem a bit confusing. At a later stage I will need someone to associate psynergies with each class, but that can't be done until both psynergy and class data entry has been completed. Both of those groups have been started but are not yet complete.

For everyone else: The two topics I need the most right now are armor and weapons. If you are interested, please post.

#22   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
                                              • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:44 PM

OK then, I'll do Weapons.

Approved by Max for Weapons Page

#23   Toasty 

• Location:The toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 29 May 2007 - 06:43 PM

View PostMax, on May 28 2007, 12:20 PM, said:

Mr. T.: Yes, monsters have stats (elemental power and resistances) just like the characters do, and thus can have multiple strengths/weaknesses. But they still have a single main elemental weakness (the one that makes them flash when killed with a djinni of that element). You have two options at this point: (a) start data entry for monsters now, and go back and add item drop information later when all the armor/item/weapon data entry is complete, or ( ;) wait to do data entry for monsters until the armor/item/weapon data entry is complete. In case ( :) , would you want to do armor or weapons? In case (a), let me know and I'll set you up immediately.

I'll go with option A since it'll stretch out the workload, and I might as well start sooner than later.

Approved by Max for Enemies pages

#24   l3lueMage 

• Disciple

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:38 PM

I would like to do powerups if possible :)

Approved by Max for Powerups Page

#25   l3lueMage 

• Disciple

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:08 PM

Does anyone know how to access the page? DX He didn't leave me with the link to it :S

#26   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                                      • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:25 PM

Read the pinned topic in the sub-form called 'Development Site'.

#27   l3lueMage 

• Disciple

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:39 PM

i dont see a sub forum o.o

#28   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                                          • Joined: 28-January 04
                                                          • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:41 PM

Oh. I guess he forgot to give you permission. I'm PM you his post.

#29   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                            • Joined: 16-December 05
                                                            • Location:37°48′S, 144°57′E.
                                                            • AKA Spam King

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:44 PM

Oh dear, I forgot all about this thread...

Max, if you're active enough to read this, I'd be happy doing the Armor section. But like I said before, I don't really mind, as long as its something.

#30   Max 

• Administrator
                                                              • Joined: 26-January 04
                                                              • Location:Philadelphia

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:39 PM

I am closing this thread and creating a new one for the sake of clarity.

Page 1 of 1
                                                              • You cannot start a new topic
                                                              • This topic is locked