• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gss Revamp Project Begins

#1   Max 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:05 PM

After the feedback from my last announcement, I feel confident that this is the correct direction for the site and community at this point in time. So without further ado, I'd like to announce the commencement of the GSS site revamp project.

This will be a full-community project, and I really need help from as many of you as possible. I have created a new sub-forum in the "Site-Related" category exclusively for this project. New topics will be moderated before appearing to make sure that the proper tone is maintained. I have created a set of pinned topics which outline the project and explain the individual components. Please read through the Project Overview topic and then the topic relating to the specific component you are interested in.

Once this project is completed (when the new site is launched), I will resume my work on the GSW project. I will be putting all of my energies into this GSS revamp project to make sure it gets completed in a timely manner so I can then put energy into GSW. The more help I get with the current project, the sooner we can move on to GSW and other projects.

#2   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Veterans
      • Interests:.5% per annum.
      • AKA Spam King

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:01 PM

Okay, that's great and all, just stop making so many topics! :)

I can't tell an Admin what to do...

#3   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
        • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
        • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:24 PM

Sorry about that Max. Heheh....
        BTW, I've applied for a job in the web designing section of the revamp.

#4   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:24 PM

I made so many topics so that the responses are more focused on a particular topic, and also so that information is easier to search for and look up. No point having a million page post for which each reply is targeted at a different part of the post.

#5   Neon 

• Disciple
            • Group: Members

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:50 AM

You made the right decision Max :).

And good work on getting it all into motion before you had the opportunity to escape, haha.

#6   Neo 

• Disciple
              • AKA Neo_Genesis

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:48 AM

All in all it looks good, Max. There is only one thing that I do not like in the current design.

In my opinion, the header is, harshly said, plain ugly. Text is o.k, but there is way too much solar, some images are pixelated or unsharp, and the overal compilation of pictures doesn't attract me that much. I'd go for a more "from scratch" related header, in the same way signatures are made. A background, filtered or brushed, and then the insert the render(s) and text.

just my opinion.

#7   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:04 PM

I don't really have a problem with it, and I think it's too late to change... but I see where you come from. =) After looking at it carefully i.e.

#8   Nick Presta 

• Master Adept

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:11 PM

View PostNeo_Genesis, on May 25 2007, 01:48 PM, said:

All in all it looks good, Max. There is only one thing that I do not like in the current design.

In my opinion, the header is, harshly said, plain ugly. Text is o.k, but there is way too much solar, some images are pixelated or unsharp, and the overal compilation of pictures doesn't attract me that much. I'd go for a more "from scratch" related header, in the same way signatures are made. A background, filtered or brushed, and then the insert the render(s) and text.

just my opinion.

While you may be correct, I feel, and I think Max agrees, that if you have the time to create something better or something equal to what we have now, by all means, go for it.

Max and Andy are only two people so trying to please a large userbase is often difficult as _someone_ will find a problem with _something_. (Trust me, on the current Forum I am Admin at, we've gone through many, many style changes and none please everyone).

Personally, I like the design - it's clean and colorful and is pleasing to the eye.

The way Max is going with the new GSSF, it appears, is that the community has a lot of involvement so if you want to create a new style sheet, Max will consider it, I'm sure.

#9   Neo 

• Disciple
                    • AKA Neo_Genesis

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:58 PM

Of course, Nick, I understand that. The header is only a minor subject when it comes to a complete revamp of the forums. I also understand that you may like it, as we both look at it from another point of view. If I ever have time I'll try and see whether I can create something I have in mind myself, and I will either email or PM it to Max. Whether he looks at it or not, doesn't really matter.

Don't take my post before as offensive, but it was just my point of view, and maybe I was a bit harsh when it's in comparisment with the rest of the changes.

Because, although I did not mention it in the above post, I really like the revamp. The lay-out itself is crystal clear and looks very professional.!

#10   Nick Presta 

• Master Adept

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:18 PM

I know you didn't mean to be offensive or rude - I wasn't trying to be either. :D

#11   Julian 

• Chaos Lord
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2007 - 02:07 PM

In certain aspects, i do agree with Neo's arguments about the unsatifaction towards the newly made header. Though i have nothing against the header's design itself (rather professionally done, i think), i do have to argue that the stocks used are rather... uh how you say... stale? Honestly though, these stocks have been used pretty much over and over again for every single revamp of every single GS site that has ever existed. For me atleast, its getting to a point where i cant help but feel immune to the actual sensation of a true revamp (if you know what i mean... <__< ... it's kinda like "oh yeah, that's been done before").

What im trying to get at is... perhaps a rather good alternative for these overused official stocks could be our own fan-made stocks (fanart)? I've realized that this topic has never actually been brought up yet :P so maybe i'm the only one that actually feels this way >__>;. Nevertheless, i thought this was something that should be voiced.

#12   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 27 May 2007 - 02:20 PM

Julian! I can't believe you're posting, it's been far too long. You been ok? :P

That said, I've always felt that the overall "feel" of the forums is too generic. Namely, the font, etc. I think it's the default IPB style. It works, it's functional, but compared to the banner on top of the page (which I agree is very well done), the rest of the forums seems somewhat bare.

I think a bit more customization is in order to really give it that extra polish, but it's fine as it is.

#13   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:38 AM

As Nick suggested, I am always open to suggestions and improvements. And yes, the images are a bit stale, but Camelot only made so much official artwork. If a community member wants to submit and give rights to high-quality fanart for use in banners, then that would be great. And if someone with some Photoshop skill wants to make a new banner, that would be great. I'm always open to suggestions.

And if someone wants to work on making a new skin which is unique and a bit different, then please get in touch with me over MSN and I can set up a private forum install where you can try things out.

#14   Julian 

• Chaos Lord
                            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 May 2007 - 05:34 PM

Hey! that's awesome!
                              I'd totally be willing to draw some GS fanart as long as i get general consensus on this notion . It's just that i'm not too convinced that this is in everyone's best interest.

#15   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:26 PM

Julian, I know for a fact people will love what you draw. About a year ago I was convinced you were too talented for your age when viewing your art, and graphics especially your layouts, didn't saying it though.

Weirdly, I can still picture the layout you made for Kemo's Rustboro City (so awesome, I can still picture the Wabafet IIRC!) and the GSAR layouts, so I can't even imagine how much you've improved now.

Page 1 of 1
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic