Golden Sun Syndicate Forums: Golden Sun Syndicate Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Golden Sun: Voyage Of The Dusk Rider An oldie but goodie!

#1   Wild Fox 

• Lord
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Interests:The list of things that I think are awesome but other people probably think are lame: <br /><br />Zombies. <br />Pinot Noir. <br />Owls. <br />Cross-stitching. <br />The Ocean. <br />Starting IVs. <br />Starting an IV on you. <br />Cuddling. <br />Eating Guacamole with a Spoon. <br />Mechanical Pencils. <br />My Dancing Skills. <br />Monopoly. <br />Free HBO.

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:33 PM

I wrote this story way back in the day. The original post got deleted. Would you believe it's still in progress? I hate leaving things unfinished so I'm in the process of writing the last few chapters.

The concept has been done again and again, I know. But I have my own little twist on what happens, so please do enjoy. Feel free to comment.

Prologue:

The wind rustled through the tall sun-dried grasses growing on the slopes of Mt.Aleph. No, it couldn't be the wind. There was a distinct pounding on the earth that echoed the rustling. Someone was coming. But who? Who in their right mind would approach the mountain with the reputation of great danger?

A child would. They would come running through the grasses towards the peak, basking in the summer sunshine. Oh how he wished he could taste that sunshine once again. How he wished he could stretch his arms and run through the golden fields like a child once again. The thought crossed his mind as he watched the child collapse in the grass amidst a fit of laughter. He could be free once again.

"Help," he whispered. The boy sat up and looked around. His chocolate-brown hair blew in the wind as he gazed around. "Help me."

"Hello?" he called out as he stood up. "Is someone there?"

It was working. Inwardly, he grinned with delight. "Yes, I am in the earth below you. You must help me," he pleaded.

"How can I help you?" the boy asked, turning his gaze to the dirt under his feet.

"The mountain," he said. "There is a cavern that leads into the mountain; that is where I am. You will find me. But hurry!"

The boy fell for his ruse and quickly headed toward the peak looming ahead of him. As the voice had instructed, there was a small hole wide enough for him to enter. He got down onto his knees and crawled into the gap and into the darkness. "Hello?" he called out. He listened to his voice echo in the cavern around him. Bats screeched and fluttered their wings in the darkness. "I can't see you!"

A beam of light shone through the darkness. "This way," the voice beckoned. "Please hurry!" He nodded and followed the light. It led him to another larger cavern where the pale limp figure of a man extended from the rocky wall. His body had seemed to fuse with the mountain itself and all life had disappeared from it.

The child gasped as he ran towards the man. He placed a hand on his alabaster skin: cold. His long blue hair hung down and framed his white face. "He's dead," he murmured as she stepped back a few paces. "But then whose voice did I hear?"

The man's eyes flew open and stared at the child. He let out a scream as the glazed eyes stared straight through him. Darkness overcame the boy as he fell to the cavern floor, lifeless.

"This is the tenth child that's disappeared this month," the mayor of New Vale sighed as he glanced at a missing child poster. "And just when we thought things had gone back to normal."

Things had returned to normal in New Vale, as normal as they could be. It had had now been four years since Mt. Aleph had collapsed, destroying the town of Vale. Once Isaac and his friends had returned, they helped to rebuild Vale and make it better than it was before; New Vale. Mayor Jerra turned away from the poster and watched the children that were still there play in the warm afternoon sun.

"OK, I can be Isaac. You get to be Garet," one of the boys instructed as he pointed to his friend.

"But I wanted to be Isaac!" the other boy moaned.

"You can be him tomorrow," a girl interjected. "I get to be Mia!" She tapped 'Garet' on the shoulder with a smile. "I cast Ply! Now you're healed!"

The children were lost in a fit of laughter as they played with wooden swords and sticks as they acted out a mock battle. "Look! It's the Doom Dragon!" 'Isaac' exclaimed as a dog padded up to him.

"Flare wall!" 'Garet' shouted as he raised his wooden sword. The dog turned his head as he watched the children's strange displays of behavior.

"The children admire those adepts," Mayor Jerra sighed. "It all stands to good reason though; they saved us and our world."

"Gramps!" a rough voice shouted as a red-haired man ran up.

"Garet! Good to see you! And on such a fine afternoon," he smiled.

"Give me a break," Garet sighed as he wiped the sweat from his brow. "We just finished re-building town hall. Come see it." He dragged his grandfather down the streets toward the newly build town hall. The old man's face lit up with joy at the beautiful sight.

"I can't tell you how grateful I am to you kids," he smiled, still staring at the building.

"It's no trouble," Isaac smiled as he, Ivan, Felix, and Picard walked over.

"No trouble?" Felix gasped. "It took us a month to get it rebuilt!" he shouted as he whacked him upside the head.

"Well, it's a good thing we got the town hall rebuilt in time for tomorrow's big day," Picard winked in Isaac's direction. Isaac grew tense as he noticed everyone grinning in his direction.

"Stop it you guys!" he laughed nervously. "It's no big deal!"

"No big deal?" Ivan shouted.

"Tomorrow's your wedding day!" Garet laughed as he shook his friend gruffly by the shoulders. "We can't have New Vale looking like a mess on such a special day!"

"Yea, he's right Isaac," Felix added. "A whole bunch of guests are arriving, if they haven't already."

"Speaking of which, I had better go look for my sister," Ivan said as he ran off. "Catch you guys later!"

"I'm pooped," Garet sighed as he let his shoulders slump. "I'm going to go get cleaned up." He grabbed Isaac by the shirt collar and dragged him along with him. "Come on you."

"Here, we'll help get your things moved in," Felix and Picard offered. With that, the three followed the mayor back to his house, leaving the street somewhat empty. Except for two cloaked men who stepped out of the shadows.

"Looks like everyone's got their guard down," one of the men said. "Especially Isaac."

"Of course. Now that my body is back to its full strength I can take my revenge on Isaac," the other laughed.

"You mean that ALL of us can take our revenge," the other added. "That punk's got what's coming to him."

The other man lifted his hand and stared at it for a moment. He could see the intricate patterns his veins traced in his palm, just as they should. It felt good to be alive again. "It's only a matter of time now Isaac," he sneered as he lowered his hand

#2   Ironsight 

• Loose cannon Cop with nothing to lose
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Veterans
      • AKA Darksword

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:49 PM

Looks awsome so far, I really regret missing the first version.

#3   Folcon 

• Master Adept
        • Interests:video games, RPGs in particular, reading, mostly sci-fi and Graphic Novels, Kenshin is the best.<br />
        • AKA escout

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:08 PM

I agree with Ds, please post chapter one as soon as you can.

#4   Wild Fox 

• Lord
        • PipPipPipPip
          • Interests:The list of things that I think are awesome but other people probably think are lame: <br /><br />Zombies. <br />Pinot Noir. <br />Owls. <br />Cross-stitching. <br />The Ocean. <br />Starting IVs. <br />Starting an IV on you. <br />Cuddling. <br />Eating Guacamole with a Spoon. <br />Mechanical Pencils. <br />My Dancing Skills. <br />Monopoly. <br />Free HBO.

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:30 PM

Well, since you asked so nicely :silence:

(PS I mudship and flameship. If you don't like, don't read.)

Chapter One: A Wedding Interrupted

The moment Jenna had laid eyes on Mia, she knew what would soon be perfectly obvious: Isaac and Mia were in love. Bitter hatred welled up within her, yet Jenna learned to suppress the green-eyed beast. Instead of doing all that was in her power to tear the lovers apart, she clung to Mia.

During the last leg of their journey to the Mars lighthouse, Mia and Jenna became the best of friends. They would stay up late at night and whisper conversations to one another. Each would watch the other's back during battles. In fact, it was their teamwork that helped to summon the mighty Iris during the final battle with the Doom Dragon. Fire and water; never would anyone imagine them becoming the greatest of friends.

During the building of New Vale, the two friends would drift apart and then find each other again. Perhaps it was because of their difference in personalities, but maybe it was Jenna's resentment rearing its ugly head again. Jenna would help her brother and the men with the construction. Mia would remain indoors and tend to the people who had been wounded in the dawn of the Golden Sun. As a result, Jenna had grown muscular and tan from working in the sun. Freckles were sprinkled across her face like cinnamon which accented her deep amber eyes. Her auburn hair became brighter and more vivid from the long exposure to the sun. Even her personality changed. She became even more of a tomboy, spending almost all her time with Isaac, Garet, and the other boys.

Yet she still found time to spend with Mia. However, it became more apparent at how different the two had become. Mia had grown taller, and more slender. Jenna envied Mia with her cat-like beauty and simple charm. "It amazes me how you two have managed to stay such good friends," Jenna recalled Felix smirking one day. "But I think it's good for you to have someone like Mia as your best friend."

"And why is that?" Jenna snapped. She narrowed her eyes at her brother, who remained unflinching in his opinion.

"You need to hold on to your feminine side, squirt," he explained.

"Oh, so now you want me to be some helpless female? You want me to sit at home to cook and clean and answer to man's every little whim?" she shouted as she stood up.

"Jenna," Felix said. Calling his sister by her real name symbolized seriousness. "Forget what I said. You're a Mars adept. By nature you're going to have a fiery, passionate personality," he continued.

"You can't take something like that back, Felix," she growled as she walked away. Felix watched the retreating form of his sister as she stormed into her house, where Mia was busily cooking away.

"Jenna!" Mia gasped. "You're just the person I wanted to talk to!"

"And I you," Jenna replied less enthusiastically. But she could see the look of anticipation on Mia's face. "What's the big news?"

Mia replied as she thrust her hand towards Jenna. A dazzling diamond ring adorned her fourth finger as it rested on its golden band. "I'm engaged!" she laughed. Jenna felt her stomach drop.

"To who?" She regretted uttering those two senseless words, for she knew she could answer her own question.

"To Isaac!" Mia said, trying to stifle an excited squeal. Jenna wanted to slap Mia across the face at those words. She admitted to the obvious months ago, that Isaac's heart would never be hers. Yet she still didn't want to accept the fact that he had replaced her with someone else. Instead, Jenna did what she never imagined doing.

"I'm so happy for you!" she exclaimed as she threw her arms around Mia.

"I knew you would be," Mia smiled. "That's why I want you to be the maid of honor in my wedding!"

"Oh Mia," Jenna smiled. "I'd be happy to."

Now Jenna sat in her bedroom, brushing out her long auburn hair. She stared at herself in the mirror, wondering if this really was a good idea. A light knock was heard at the door, causing Jenna to set her brush down and hurry over to open it.

"Mia needs some help with her dress," Sheba explained. Jenna eyed the tiny eighteen year old. She had grown so much since they had first met. A smile grew over Jenna's face as she remembered her fighting bravely atop the Mars lighthouse. Now, before her stood a calm bridesmaid dressed in her burgundy gown.

Jenna followed Sheba into her parent's bedroom where Feizhi and Hama were fixing Mia's hair. "Jenna!" Mia smiled. "You look great!" She glanced herself over and realized the color of the dress did in fact go along with her hair and eye color.

"You're right, Jenna matches," Feizhi giggled.

"I chose the colors because of that," Mia said as she walked over to her friend. "Thank you for being here for me today." Mia drew Jenna into a hug, a hug that made Jenna feel awful inside.

'Mia's so happy to have a friend like me; a friend who curses the ground she walks on,' she thought to herself.

The door was suddenly thrust open as Garet popped his head inside. He quickly pulled his head out and slammed the door. A muffled "sorry" was heard.

"What do you want now?" Jenna laughed as she walked over to the door. She opened it wide enough to thrust her head through.

"Wow, you look different with your hair down," Garet remarked.

"Get to the point," Jenna sighed.

"You guys had better hurry up. It's almost noon! The ceremony's gonna start any minute now! The guests aren't willing to wait much longer!" Garet babbled.

"Well, you are working with women here," she snickered. "And we demand perfection," she continued as she reached out a finger and playfully tapped the best man on the nose. "Give us a few more minutes and we'll be right out." She winked and slammed the door on Garet's face.

"You always flirt with him like that, don't you?" Sheba laughed.

"Oh come on," Jenna moaned. "I've told you once and I'll tell you again," she said.

"He's like the easy-going brother you never had," everyone droned in unison before breaking out in laughter.

"I bet it's going to be you're wedding that we'll be attending soon," Mia laughed.

'Me? Like Garet?' she thought. 'Never in a million years would I have feelings for that pathetic excuse for a Mars adept.'

"OK, let's get moving," Hama instructed as she handed everyone their bouquets. With giggles, they all rushed out the door and headed down the street towards the sanctum.

______________________________________________________________________

"I can't take this anymore," Isaac sighed as he paced back and forth.

"What? Are you nervous about the ceremony?" Garet asked.

"No, it's hot today!" Isaac replied as he loosened his shirt collar. "Of course I'm not nervous about the ceremony. It's Mia! I can't help but feel comfortable around her. Why should today be any different?"

Garet grinned as he glanced down the aisle. Guests were seated in the chairs on either side, laughing and conversing amongst each other. Ivan, Felix, and Picard were gathered at the back, waiting for the bridesmaids to arrive.

"What's taking so long?" Isaac asked.

"They're women and they demand perfection," Garet said, quoting Jenna. He thought for a moment before turning to Isaac. "Can I ask you something?"

"Ask away," Isaac laughed, clapping him on the back.

"Do you think I should start seeing Jenna?" he asked meekly.

"Go for it!" Isaac grinned.

Just then, the crowd grew silent as Ivan and Sheba began down the aisle. "It's starting," Garet stated, admitting the obvious.

Over the past four years, Ivan had a growth spurt. No longer was he the short adorable little boy everyone had grown to love. Now he was taller and had not only matured physically, but emotionally. He gave Isaac an encouraging smile as he and Sheba parted and went to their separate sides of the sanctum.

Felix and Feizhi came down next. Now that all was peaceful again, Felix had opened up to everyone. He was however, reluctant to be in Isaac's wedding. Even though he was more friendly, he still preferred to keep to himself. He shot a teasing smile towards Isaac before walking over to Ivan.

A feeling of tension hung in the air as Picard and Hama walked down the aisle. The two adepts seemed rather uncomfortable arm and arm with each other. Isaac couldn't exactly put his finger on it though.

A rather embarrassed Jenna came down next. All eyes were on her as she approached Isaac and Garet. 'This is my last chance,' she thought. 'I know people will think I'm insane for doing this on THEIR wedding day, but I have to. I'll never be able to go on with my life if I don't.' Garet held his arm out for her and she reluctantly took it. Her eyes still remained fixed on Isaac.

"Isaac," she quickly blurted. He turned to look at her with a quizzical expression. His sapphire eyes stared at her, waiting for a reply. 'No, I can't.' "Good luck," she found herself saying.

"Thanks Jenna," he quickly replied.

The crowd stood up as Mia began to walk down the aisle. "What was that all about," Garet whispered beside her.

"Nothing, it's nothing," she replied. Garet shrugged his shoulders as they watched Isaac and Mia join hands and approach the Great Healer.

"Please declare your intentions before the loved ones gathered before you," the man said. Before they could begin, a man from the crowd cleared his throat, interrupting them.

"If you'll excuse me," he said casually as he stood up and lowered his cloak. The crowd let out a loud gasp as they laid eyes on the man.

"A-Alex?" Mia stammered as she tightened her grip on Isaac's hand. "It can't be; you're supposed to be dead!"

"Ah, I was supposed to be dead," he repeated. "Meaning that it was merely an expectation."

"Sir, if you would please save this for later," the healer growled.

"But I wish to say something to the lovely bride," he sneered.

"Spit it out Alex," Jenna snapped.

"I don't think you would want that my dear," he laughed. "But as I was saying. I am hurt that you have found another so quickly Mia. I thought that it was arranged for us, the last remaining full-blooded members of the Mercury clan, to continue on that legacy."

"No Alex. The days of the Mercury clan have come to an end. I have come to accept that and so must you. So if you'll excuse me," Mia shouted.

"I'm sorry Mia, but I'm not taking 'no' for an answer. You see my friends and I are going to make you an offer you can't refuse."

A red sphere was cast into the aisle and it exploded in a fiery blast. Smoke filled the area, clouding everyone's vision. "Isaac!" Mia shrieked. Isaac stumbled around in confusion, looking for her.

"Mia! Where are you?" he shouted. He felt a sharp blow to the head as he fell to the ground unconscious.

"I'll be taking what is rightfully mine now," Alex growled as he stood over Isaac's limp body.

"Stop!" Garet shouted as he unsheathed and thrust the Fire Brand into Alex's side. Alex turned calmly to Garet as if he felt no pain at all.

"And you defeated the Doom Dragon? How pathetic," Alex sighed as he raised a hand and repelled Garet with an invisible force. Garet flew back and slammed into a wall. "Fool, I am immortal."

"Alex, we should leave here," a raspy voice suggested. The other cloaked figure stepped out of the smoke, Mia clutched in his withered hands. She struggled to break free of his grasp, but it was to no avail.

"You're right. Finishing things now would be far too boring. Let's play with them a bit, shall we?"

The cloaked man nodded and raised his free hand. "Mystic call! Return to me, Anger ball!" The red sphere returned to its master and disappeared, along with the smoke.

"Not so fast!" Jenna shouted once the smoke was clear. "Dragon Fume!" she screamed at the quickly dissipating figures. By the time the stream of flames reached them, Alex and the cloaked man had teleported away, along with Mia.

'There you go you selfish brat. Mia's gone, and now you got what you wanted,' a voice in the back of her mind taunted. With tear-filled eyes, Jenna surveyed the surroundings. Isaac lay motionless on the ground, blood trickling from his head. Garet lay slumped over against the wall, his fire brand still tightly gripped in his hand. What was supposed to be a joyful day, only thought of in dreams had become a nightmare.

'Are you happy now?'

Don't worry, action's on the way. I like to work on character development before I really get into things.

#5   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
            • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:02 PM

That's a ****ing long chapter, but a really good one too. I remember this fic from before though. I remember some things about Mia later on and who the other cloaked person is. I won't spoil it for anyone though.

#6   Wild Fox 

• Lord
            • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:12 PM

Might as well post chapter two. I only have a few loyal readers though. :P

Chapter Two: The Apprentice

Mia woke to the sounds of a familiar voice. "Do you think he'll play along? You know how I hate to waste my time." Slowly she opened her eyes and found herself lying on the cold damp floor of a cavern. 'Where am I?' she asked herself. 'I'm supposed to be with Isaac.' But she found herself utterly alone without the strength to move and find him. She searched for the strength to roll over and address her captors, but a nagging voice in the back of her head cautioned her to continue playing dead.

"I am certain of it. You know how he'll do anything for a sack of gold, which is exactly what I'll give him," another voice snickered. His was raspier and had a sinister note to it.

"Yes, but what does he have to offer us? A few rickety ships and a few hundred weak and lazy men?" Mia instantly recognized this voice. She found the strength left within her to hate.

"I'm not suggesting that he provide us with power," the other explained. "We can use them as a weapon–a weapon of fear."

There was a slight pause. Mia could envision a sinister grin growing across Alex's face. "Do go on," he replied, his voice dripping with curiosity.

"We can use their small pathetic excuse of an army to attack smaller villages across the Eastern Sea and bring them in under our control. We can amass them, form an army, and train them. You know just as well as I do that they would never be able to fight innocents. Especially their former allies." He slurred the word 'allies' and it gave Mia the impression of a serpent hissing.

"Oh I do like the way you think!" Alex replied cheerfully. His cheerful mood ended abruptly. Alex stepped around, tossing his head this way and that. "Someone has been listening in on our conversation," he growled. Mia suddenly realized he was glaring right at her. His stare was icy cold and felt as if two icy daggers pierced her back. She heard him step towards her and felt an icy hand on her shoulder. He pulled her over onto her back so that she was now looking up at him. "Well it looks as if Sleeping Beauty is finally awake."

"What do you want, Alex?" she snapped.

"Only to see you again," he cooed as he crouched down to her level. He placed a hand on her cheek and gently caressed it. Mia bit his hand, causing him to draw back with a smile. "My, you've grown feisty!"

"Cut the crap and tell me the truth: why did you bring me here?"

"And where did you learn such crude language?" he gasped. Mia knew it was sarcastic. But another cold stare from Mia placed him back on topic. "Would you really like to know? Because what I am about to tell you may cause you to think ill of me."

"Well, I don't think my opinion of you will change." She watched as Alex stepped back and outstretched his hand. Rings of psyenergy pulsated around him. Except this time, the rings were not blue: they were golden. Mia was so absorbed in the difference in Alex's psyenergy, that she did not realize that she was floating. She soon realized this and pushed her skirts down as they floated up around her. "What is this? What are you doing to me?"

"This is the power of Alchemy. I can do anything I please," he said as he lowered her gently to the floor. "And to answer your second question: I was just helping you up."

"Well, I'm not impressed. You're a little late to start trying to be a gentleman," she spat. "If you brought me here to win my affections, it won't work."

"Mia, you wound me. I am surprised that you think me to be so shallow!" he said in mock surprise. "Although your love would have been a perk."

"Oh get over yourself," she mumbled as she crossed her arms. She heard someone clear their throat behind Alex.

"Forgive my rudeness and allow me to introduce my ally and good friend, the Star Magician," Alex smiled as he gestured towards the cloaked figure.

"Alex, you haven't answered the lovely girl's question: why did you bring her here? You still haven't told me yourself," he began. "I thought we were going to kill Isaac there on the spot!"

"Really? But wasn't it you who insisted upon our departure?" Alex quizzed him while raising an eyebrow.

The Star Magician hesitated. "I thought that they were going to attack. After I saw that man stab you…"

"I apologize for not making myself clear," he sighed. "But I shall kill two birds with one stone and clarify things for the both of you all at once. You see, I thought that it would be brilliant to kidnap Isaac's darling bride."

"And why is that?" the Star Magician asked.

"Why, to play the bait of course!" he laughed as he watched Mia draw in a gasp. "Killing Isaac right off the bat would have been interesting, but too dull at the same time. I want to lure him into my deadly trap and make him pay for those four years. And Mia is the perfect bait. I'll wager that at this very moment, he is already scouring the countryside for us. He would never surrender his beloved to me so easily."

"What do you mean 'so easily'? Isaac will never surrender to you or anyone else!" Mia shouted. "And why do you want revenge on Isaac? He's not the one who killed you!"

"Yes he is," he said calmly. He began to pace around the cramped enclosure of the cavern. "I'm sure you remember that day atop the Mars Lighthouse when the Wise One spoke to you. I do believe his words were something like 'as we speak, there is one climbing to Mt. Aleph's peak seeking this power.'"

"Yes, and that was you."

"Well I did reach that peak and there I bathed in the light of the Golden Sun. Now, I posses the power of Alchemy. But the Wise One appeared and tried to kill me. We fought atop the mountain until the coward commanded for the mountain to swallow me. I remained prisoner to the mountain for four years. Until one day, a boy came passing by. He was such a kind and gentle soul…"

Mia's eyes grew wide with fear and disgust. "You monster!" she shrieked. "It was you! You were the one who killed all those children!"

"Yes, I confess that it was I. Their souls gave me the power to release myself from my rocky prison."

"But if you really had the power of Alchemy, then why didn't you just free yourself?"

"Don't be rude Mia," he scolded. "I'm not finished with my story. The truth is I do not possess all of the powers of Alchemy. Before the Wise One cast me into the mountain, he stole away some of my powers and bestowed them upon your lover."

"Isaac? Isaac was blessed with some of the power?"

"Yes, but it was just enough for the Wise One to paralyze me. Temporarily of course."

"And what do you expect to achieve by killing Isaac?"

"I plan to take back what power is rightfully mine. He is not immortal like I am." A sadistic smile grew across his face and sent shivers up Mia's spine. "And I will give you the honor of watching me kill your dearest love."

Mia clenched her fists and focused her psyenergy. "I won't let you kill him!" she screamed. The blue rings pulsated around her as she cast Ice Missile. Alex countered with his golden psyenergy and stopped the ice shards inches from his face and vaporized them. He outstretched his arms and cast a binding spell on Mia. It seized her body and sent her to her hands and knees. An invisible force crushed Mia. She felt as if all of her psyenergy was being squeezed out of her and tears welled up in her eyes. "Please…stop…" she whimpered. Alex grinned and the pain subsided. He crouched down to her level and grabbed her chin, forcing her to look up at him.

"That is what happens when you defy me, love," he sneered. Tears rolled down her pale cheeks as he stared at her. "Do you remember back when we were younger? Your mother was on her deathbed. You were sixteen and I was four years your senior. Do you remember?" She nodded as another tear ran down. Alex wiped it away using his thumb, his hand still holding her chin. "You were excelling in your studies while I lagged behind. Your mother, rest her soul, insisted that I become your apprentice." He leaned in closer, a fraction of an inch separating their noses. "The roles are reversed, love. You will be my apprentice now."

She shuddered as his cold lips brushed against hers.

#7   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:21 PM

Yeah, I remember that chapter surprisingly well. Keep it up, it's good.

#8   Wild Fox 

• Lord
                • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 October 2007 - 04:37 PM

Chapter Three: A Shattered Life

It was a calm and beautiful day aboard Picard's Lemurian ship. Jenna stood leaning against the rail taking in the warm glow of the sun and the fresh salty air. The sea was calm and seemed to stretch on for miles. She longed to dive into the ocean and go for a swim. Nothing could go wrong.

But things did go wrong. There was a violent splashing sound below her. She gripped the rail and peered down into the blue water. She felt her stomach drop when she saw who was struggling in the waters below.

"Isaac!" she screamed. She watched helplessly as he struggled to keep his head above the water. His head would disappear beneath the water for a few moments, air bubbles clinging to the surface of the water. Then he would emerge and gasp for breath. She wanted to jump in and save him, but she couldn't. Her legs wouldn't move.

"Isaac!" she screamed again. There was the sound of a rustle of wings above her head. She looked up and saw a large flock of seagulls flying above and around her. They landed on the ship, using everything they could find as a perch. With their beady eyes, they watched her as if waiting to pass judgment on her. She turned back to Isaac. But he was gone.

Jenna bolted up in bed drenched in a sweat that made it seem as if it was she who had been drowning and not Isaac. She heard Felix's distinct stomp coming down the hall and the doorknob turning. He poked his head in. Even though the darkness concealed his face, she could tell he was looking at her.

"Are you alright? I heard you screaming," he whispered.

"I'm fine. I just had a dream," she replied as she wiped the hair that was plastered to her forehead by the sweat.

"You were calling out Isaac's name," he continued. Jenna felt her face grow even hotter, the sensation traveling down her neck and arms. She was glad that it was dark, for she was certain that her whole face and arms were beet red.

"I was?" she asked, pretending as if she didn't know.

"I'm sure you woke him up with all your screaming," he snickered as he stepped inside her room. She felt his weight at the end of her bed as he sat down next to her. "I'm no wind adept, but I know what's on your mind. You love him, don't you?"

Jenna turned away from him. "Is it that obvious?" she whispered in her tiniest voice.

"Yes." He watched Jenna's silhouette crane her neck back and stare at the ceiling. As long as he had known her, she always did this when she was embarrassed. He did the first thing that came to mind and pulled her into a hug. "Listen, I know you can't help what you feel but you have to use good judgment in times like these. You've got to just let things go."

Felix hadn't come into her room and held her like this for who knows how long. They must have been much younger, maybe eight or nine, she thought. 'He's right. I should use good judgment…' She found herself saying "I know." 'But he's also right about not being able to help what I feel.'
                  ______________________________________________________________

"I feel completely responsible," the Wise One sighed. The Valeans were still cleaning up after the mess that Alex left behind. Along with the rubble, they cleared away Isaac's joy that was supposed to be had. Garet was staying with him, trying to get him to eat and go about his life. It had been two days. Garet knew that Isaac wanted to go look for Mia, but lacked the motivation to do so. He didn't blame him. Not one bit.

"Why? You weren't the one who caused all of this to happen," Garet said in an attempt to reassure the guardian.

"No, in a way I am responsible." He cast his eye down in shame.

"I don't quite understand how, though," Ivan said as he stood up next to Garet. The Wise One had called all the adepts to a meeting. Apparently there was some 'explaining that needed to be done.' The Wise One felt like a guilty child and the adepts were his parents, ready to sentence him to a just punishment. The original party was there, save a certain Mercury adept, along with Hama and Fehzhi.

"Well, as you all know, the Golden Sun did in fact rise. You saw its light from Prox," the Wise One explained. If he could pace, then that's exactly what he would be doing. "Unfortunately, Alex did reach the peak in time and he received the powers of Alchemy.

"However, I did stop him in time and we got into a fight. I didn't want to admit it, but for a few moments, his power surpassed even my own. I did the only thing I could do: I took away just a bit of his power, enough to paralyze him and command the mountain to swallow him. And that was that."

"What about that power you stole? Where is it now?" Felix asked.

"There is one man who possesses this power. And he alone is the only one who can stand up to Alex," he replied. "Do you know of whom I speak?" Silence. "He is sitting right next to you, Garet."

All eyes were fixed on Isaac. "Isaac?" Jenna gasped.

"He may not have known or felt it, but I bestowed some power upon him. It's not much though, but it is enough to stop Alex," he continued as he bobbed in the air above them. He gazed up at the ceiling as blue rings of psyenergy pulsated around him.

"Is something wrong?" Ivan asked, a nervous tone in his voice.

"You must hurry," he stated as the rings disappeared. "As we speak, Alex is gaining allies, and powerful ones at that."

"Where are they?" Garet demanded as his hand went to the hilt of the sword.

"I cannot pinpoint their exact location. Alex has the ability to warp you know. Because of that, he does not remain in once place for long."

"What about Mia?" Isaac asked. Everyone was shocked at hearing the Venus adept speak. He hadn't said much since the wedding was crashed so this was a pleasant surprise for the party.

"She is safe, don't worry," he said reassuringly. "But listen to me, it is important that you act quickly and find yourself as many allies as you possibly can. I know you have many scattered across the Eastern and Western Sea."

Isaac stood up and faced his friends. The usual glimmer had vanished from his sapphire eyes, leaving hollow and empty pools of pale blue. "Give me the teleport lapis. I'll get Mia back and stop Alex. I don't want to drag you guys into another mess." Ivan felt his empty stare focused on him. The stone began to feel heavy in his pocket. In an effort to please his friend, he began to reach for it.

"Ivan, don't give it to him!" Garet yelled as he grabbed the Jupiter adept's arm. He turned to Isaac. "Are you nuts? Alex will kill you if his cronies don't get to you first!"

"Garet, this is none of your business! I can take care of myself!" he shouted back. Vibrancy returned to his eyes as he stared his childhood companion down. His eyes remained fixed on Garet's as he extended an open palm towards Ivan. "Ivan! The teleport lapis, please!"

Ivan glanced back and forth between his two friends. Despite the fact that Isaac and Garet were best friends, there were times when conflicts between the two arose. Ivan would always feel like he was caught in the middle; wanting to please both Isaac and Garet. How did we ever manage to get through these scuffles? he wondered. Then it dawned on him: Mia. Mia was always there with calm and reassuring words that would always end the argument. But she wasn't there.

"Don't bring Ivan into this!" Garet snapped. "I can understand you being depressed; I would be too. But this isn't an excuse for you to throw all common sense out the window!"

"Oh you're the one to talk! You never had any common sense!"

It was more than he could bear. "Stop it both of you!" Ivan shouted as he stood between them. "Isaac, listen to Garet. You'll get yourself killed if you go alone. If you're going to be bold and unreasonable, then I'll be bold and unreasonable with you."

Isaac's scowl softened to a smile as he placed a hand on Ivan's shoulder. "You've got your own life to lead now. I can't ask you to come."

"You didn't ask him to come," Jenna chimed in. "And you didn't ask me, so I'm coming too." She looked over at her brother for approval, but was met with a scowl.

"You're not going anywhere, Jenna," he said coldly.

"Felix, I'm old enough to make up my own mind as to where I want to go. If it makes you feel better, then you come along as well," she snapped back, placing her hands on her hips.

"Good, that's just what I'll do."

"We'll spare you the trouble and melodrama by telling you that we'll come along as well," Sheba added, representing the Jupiter adepts.

Isaac turned back to Garet, his stare turning cold once again. "What?" Garet asked. "I thought I didn't have enough common sense."

"Come on Garet," Picard said as he placed a hand on his shoulder. "We'll all take my ship, the Dusk Rider. It'll be just like old times."

Both Garet and Isaac opened their mouths to speak, but the Wise One interrupted. "Good. Now I would recommend leaving first thing tomorrow morning. As I said before: do not waste time in gathering allies. You will need them. I wish you luck." The Wise One floated up towards the ceiling and disappeared.

Tension hung in the air between the two friends as they stared each other down. They had wounded each other's egos greatly, wounds that could be easily seen. "Well, I guess we should start packing," Felix said in an attempt to break the uneasy silence.

"But we don't have any idea where to start looking," Garet sighed. "Remember what the Wise One said: Alex can warp and he…"

Isaac cut him off. "We know what he said," he said coldly. "I guess you weren't paying attention. He said that we should be more concerned with gathering allies."

"I was paying attention!" he shouted. "Stop making me out to be so stupid!"

"STOP!" Jenna shouted. "How old are you two? Twenty-two! But maybe you two forgot, so I suggest you both remember to act your age!" Her face turned a bright red as she stormed out of the sanctum.
                  ____________________________________________________________________

'That sound? What is it?' She opened her eyes and found her self floating deeper and deeper into the sea. Her lungs burned for oxygen as she began to struggle in an attempt to swim to the surface. She gradually began to make her way towards the surface, the light getting brighter and brighter.

She needed air, now. Her hands reached for the glistening surface, but it was out of reach. 'I'm…I'm going to die!'

A hand plunged into the water. She didn't know who's hand it was, nor did she care. She took it. It was warm and she suddenly felt unafraid and safe.

Jenna opened her eyes and took a large gulp of air. She sat up as she panted to catch her breath again. Her heart fluttered in her chest as she placed a hand to it. "What was that all about?" she whispered to herself as she flopped back down on her pillow. "Just a nightmare."

Page 1 of 1
                  • You cannot start a new topic
                  • You cannot reply to this topic