• You cannot reply to this topic

Censorship The good? The bad? The ugly?

#1   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderator
    • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:29 PM

I'm a fairly strong opposer to censorship. Not just that of censoring violence or profanity in movies for example, but censorship of the press as well.

I could write up a big long rant about the bad of censorship but also address the good of it, but then there might not be a whole lot of room for discussion. ;) But I guess I'll start off by saying that artists hate censorship. There just isn't as much emotional value of a painting or photo of war if you censor out the red blood, or if you paste bleeps over the profanity of an angry song. (so you don't understand it)

How about leaving a nation in the dark over the information of a war to "protect" them? Leaving us ignorant somehow makes us safe?

Have you ever had any experiences of censorship? What's your opinions?

#2   Ironsight 

• Loose cannon Cop with nothing to lose
      • Group: Veterans
      • AKA Darksword

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:31 PM

Personaly, I dislike how Amerca's Media selectively reports certain things. Usualy to make somebody look bad.

#3   Eugine 

• Master Adept
        • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:42 PM

The government or any public organisation shouldn't be allowed to censor anything, but as long as it's privately owned they can do whatever they want.
        A news cooperation like Fox News, which has a conserative bias, should be able to censor what they want, it's their right... but having the slogan "Fair and Balance" is just wrong.

#4   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
          • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:45 PM

What I don't get about American culture is that violence and shooting people's heads off is totally a-ok, but a naked body and BOOM it's controversial.

Shouldn't it be the other way around? At least according to my morals, the human body is a beautiful thing that should be celebrated as long as it's not totally erotic. Now, I'm not saying that we should go ahead and throw a nude parade through the streets every Saturday or anything, but it should be much more accepted than violence is.

And look at it this way. In American video games, decapitation and murder will get you an M rated game (17+). Full frontal nudity (even if it isn't presented sexually) gets you an AO (stands for Adults Only, 18+) and won't even be sold in pretty much any retailer. That just doesn't sound right, and I think it gives a false message that says the human body is a dirty thing. In a world that's so obsessed with protecting the innocent children, I think that saying that "the human body is a bad thing" will do more harm to kids than good. Nobody was killed by looking at somebody naked. Unless they weren't paying attention and got ran over by a car since they were staring at a girl's rack or something.

#5   Laharl 

• Banned
            • Interests:research it
            • AKA Dullahan

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:59 PM

censoring of violence and like is pointless and irritating; IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT ****ING WATCH IT! Dont like censoring of swears either-no fun at all, its not hard to break Faku Merde Scheißkerl twat

Politicians and the media are a load of crap, if you believe then it's your own fault when they inevitably betray your trust

#6   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:15 PM

You can't shelter people from the realities of the world forever. What's next? A law against telling kids there's no Santa? Everyone is worried that this stuff causes emotional damage or whatever crap. Newsflash: life causes emotional damage, the sooner you figure that out, the less of a shock it will be. Think of adult content in the media as an emotional vaccine. It can't hurt you when it's on the screen, but you'll be ready for when life really comes at you.

#7   Caael 

• Master Adept
                • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:17 AM

Watch the Family Guy episode PTV. It's about real life censorship and all that, and unlike most of the episodes, you actually learn something from it.

Censoring nudity is just stupid. You might as well walk around with a black card over your crotch ( and chest in a girl's case) for the rest of your life if it's so bad. Basically I agree with what WD said about it.

#8   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                  • Group: Admin

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:43 AM

View PostWind Dude, on Oct 25 2007, 07:45 PM, said:

What I don't get about American culture is that violence and shooting people's heads off is totally a-ok, but a naked body and BOOM it's controversial.

Shouldn't it be the other way around? At least according to my morals, the human body is a beautiful thing that should be celebrated as long as it's not totally erotic. Now, I'm not saying that we should go ahead and throw a nude parade through the streets every Saturday or anything, but it should be much more accepted than violence is.

And look at it this way. In American video games, decapitation and murder will get you an M rated game (17+). Full frontal nudity (even if it isn't presented sexually) gets you an AO (stands for Adults Only, 18+) and won't even be sold in pretty much any retailer. That just doesn't sound right, and I think it gives a false message that says the human body is a dirty thing. In a world that's so obsessed with protecting the innocent children, I think that saying that "the human body is a bad thing" will do more harm to kids than good. Nobody was killed by looking at somebody naked. Unless they weren't paying attention and got ran over by a car since they were staring at a girl's rack or something.

View Postlaharl the slayer, on Oct 25 2007, 07:59 PM, said:

censoring of violence and like is pointless and irritating; IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT ****ING WATCH IT! Dont like censoring of swears either-no fun at all, its not hard to break Faku Merde Scheißkerl twat

Politicians and the media are a load of crap, if you believe then it's your own fault when they inevitably betray your trust

View PostPlatinum Sun, on Oct 25 2007, 08:15 PM, said:

You can't shelter people from the realities of the world forever. What's next? A law against telling kids there's no Santa? Everyone is worried that this stuff causes emotional damage or whatever crap. Newsflash: life causes emotional damage, the sooner you figure that out, the less of a shock it will be. Think of adult content in the media as an emotional vaccine. It can't hurt you when it's on the screen, but you'll be ready for when life really comes at you.

View PostCaael, on Oct 26 2007, 12:17 PM, said:

Watch the Family Guy episode PTV. It's about real life censorship and all that, and unlike most of the episodes, you actually learn something from it.

Censoring nudity is just stupid. You might as well walk around with a black card over your crotch ( and chest in a girl's case) for the rest of your life if it's so bad. Basically I agree with what WD said about it.

From these posts, I'm getting the implication that you guys favor pushing "as much as you can" in not censoring anything and letting it be available to whomever. The reason why these things are censored in the first place is, at least in part, not to encourage them. If there weren't any restrictions, you lead people, especially young children, to believe that sex, violence, even swear words are all right and acceptable (or if not that, then these things are something that society finds acceptable and ok). You need to have some discipline and a tight hand around these issues. I'm not favoring ignorance, I'm favoring teaching and educating people that there are limits to what is and isn't acceptable.

#9   Folcon 

• Master Adept
                    • Interests:video games, RPGs in particular, reading, mostly sci-fi and Graphic Novels, Kenshin is the best.<br />
                    • AKA escout

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:57 AM

I agree with GL here. There are some things that should be censored and some things that shouldn't. TV movies are an example. The theatrical version will have swearing, but when shown on TV, the censor or dub in new words for the swears, and yet, the very words that are blanked or dubbed over, are said in the normal programming of the station in question. It makes no sense to me. The same goes with anime when it gets "Americanized" and has violence, blood, language, and/or partial nudity removed or hidden. Some times it just makes no sense.

#10   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 26 October 2007 - 03:49 PM

Come to Britain, GL. You see four year old kids in the street swearing at their parents. What's the point in censorship if the parent's dont control what the kids watch?

#11   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                        • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:40 PM

Pretty much. There is absolutely no point to censorship if parents don't monitor what their kids watch, play, listen to, etc. How come I always hear 6 year olds shout their new favorite swear? I don't think MORE censorship will solve anything if parents aren't going to put restrictions on what their kids can do for free time.

#12   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                          • AKA watch

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:28 PM

View PostGolden Legacy, on Oct 27 2007, 03:43 AM, said:

From these posts, I'm getting the implication that you guys favor pushing "as much as you can" in not censoring anything and letting it be available to whomever. The reason why these things are censored in the first place is, at least in part, not to encourage them. If there weren't any restrictions, you lead people, especially young children, to believe that sex, violence, even swear words are all right and acceptable (or if not that, then these things are something that society finds acceptable and ok). You need to have some discipline and a tight hand around these issues. I'm not favoring ignorance, I'm favoring teaching and educating people that there are limits to what is and isn't acceptable.

I'm with GL.
                          Censorship is a good thing, except the Media selecting what should and shouldn't get told/shown.

You guys are ranting how little kids love sex and swearing. Maybe I'm still a cynic but really guys. Grow the **** up. The world is a ****y place where people get raped and little boys get touched. People experiment new weapons on civilians and corperations only exist to make a profit. Sportstars and famous people are no longer interested in being role models, only the money in their pocket.
                          But the world also has some awsome things. I love my music, I love playing soccer and Ulty. I love succeding, and I love hanging out with my friends. And I love being in Love.

I keep hearing this whole point about nudity and adult themes. Did anyone here see Wedding Crashers? It got an M rating down here. M has no restrctions on who can see it, MA you MUST be 15 to see it. So many little kids where in there watching a arseload of nudity and sex talk. I'd be more comfortable watching American Pie or Harold and Kumar with my family then Wedding Crashers. And both those got an MA. Sure, the world is losing its values and morals but for you guys to be condemning censorship, I just really don't know what to say.

#13   Laharl 

• Banned
                            • AKA Dullahan

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:23 PM

View PostCaael, on Oct 26 2007, 10:49 PM, said:

Come to Britain, GL. You see four year old kids in the street swearing at their parents. What's the point in censorship if the parent's dont control what the kids watch?

spot on, you just missed how a lot of parents actually encourage their children to develop into vermin.

One nice man i overheard was quite proud that his 13 year old son was a "smack head"

censorship really has no effect at all on the leser race.

#14   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                              • AKA watch

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:39 PM

And that right there is a defining arguement.

#15   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                • Location:Sitting on a fence and drinking root beer
                                • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:49 PM

It seems like I'm being interpreted as I'm saying that EVERY show/book/song/video game needs to have a barrel-load of violence, nudity, and swearing. I'm NOT saying that. On the contrary, I think there needs to be less violence in the media.

But there's also a point where it seems like covering up some things seems like an ignorant bliss. Oh my god, there's actually POVERTY in the world? People bleed and die and women are raped? You can't just sit back and cover things up, and tell kids that we live in a candy-coated world.

#16   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                                  • AKA watch

Posted 27 October 2007 - 12:22 AM

View PostWind Dude, on Oct 27 2007, 02:49 PM, said:

It seems like I'm being interpreted as I'm saying that EVERY show/book/song/video game needs to have a barrel-load of violence, nudity, and swearing. I'm NOT saying that. On the contrary, I think there needs to be less violence in the media.

But there's also a point where it seems like covering up some things seems like an ignorant bliss. Oh my god, there's actually POVERTY in the world? People bleed and die and women are raped? You can't just sit back and cover things up, and tell kids that we live in a candy-coated world.

So you picking on how nudity and sex are depicted as opposed to violence?

#17   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                    • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 27 October 2007 - 12:26 AM

Sure. People are naked under their clothes. Live with it. Sex is part of life. Live with it. The German culture have no problem with sex and nudity unlike America, and they're good people.

However, the world could certainly do with less violence. ;)

#18   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                                      • AKA watch

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:37 AM

Agreed, and you have all valid points but the value of censorship is to, hopefully, increase the age most kids will come into contact with adult themes. There will always be exceptions.

#19   I'm Always BROKE 

• Master Adept
                                        • AKA Fire Dude, Diddy Kong

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:41 PM

I hate censorship aswell... And it's especially horrible in the USA. They're even censoring BRAND NAMES! O_O; Not only names as Coca Cola which I can somehow understand, but also clothing which I think is terrible. If I was on American TV, I'd probably be all censored except for my face. .__.; Yes I'm THAT much of a brand whore.

That, and remove the cencorship of porn and swear words! D:<

#20   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                                          • AKA watch

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:06 AM

Remove the censorship of porn... I can understand the swear words because it is useless trying to prevent kids from coming into contact with swearing but the porn? What is every kid the day they hit Highschool (Year 7) going to encounter porn and be unprepared? What will be the next flavour of the week if all movies consist of just porn and language?

#21   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                            • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:42 PM

I do believe Britain has a thing in public newspaper called "Zooweekly" or such which is softcore porn. (topless chicks) British people clarify this please?

Hardcore porn (sex), on the other hand... I wouldn't want that to be in an easily accessible place on television.

#22   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:47 PM

...Zooweekly? Topless chicks?

* subscribes*

#23   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:18 PM

Nevermind then. I heard that it was a part of British newspaper, maybe not.

#24   Laharl 

• Banned
                                                  • Location:where horses with broken legs go =D
                                                  • AKA Dullahan

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:48 PM

View PostWind Dude, on Oct 30 2007, 03:42 AM, said:

I do believe Britain has a thing in public newspaper called "Zooweekly" or such which is softcore porn. (topless chicks) British people clarify this please?

sortof, it's a "lad's mag", there's rival one too called ' Nuts' or something, they were pretty crap, and seemed proud that could shove pictures of the same three topless girls in your face every week whilst talking about 'lad' things like cars and sports. pretty **** really.

#25   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                                                    • Location:Sydney, Australia
                                                    • AKA watch

Posted 01 November 2007 - 12:41 AM

Australia also has Zoo, as well as several other magizines. It's not akward at all when you have the remote and one of those ad's come up in the same room with your parents...

#26   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                                                      • Location:The toaster in your kitchen.
                                                      • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                                                      • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:55 AM

On one hand, keeping the country in the dark about say, a nuclear threat, would be a good thing. It'd just cause a panic, and things could get out of hand. On the other hand, sometimes the citiczens actually do have enough sense to not go crazy. It depends on the situation.

As for profanity censoring, I have to say that I'm in between this as well. On one hand, I find it pretty sad that there's 5th graders now who know all the swear words and things that a highschool senior would've only known back in 2000. Tha's due to all of the things they've seen and heard. Censorship would help keep that from happening. On the other hand, it's also up to the parents. You could censor just about everything on the news and tv, and if the parents don't care and just shoot off curses left and right, the kid is still going to end up like he would without all that censoring. On top of that, good tv shows, and songs, and even movies have been ruined due to censoring.

Basically, some censoring should be allowed. But too much is a bad thing.

#27   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:06 AM

The internet is a prime example of bad censorship. Gametrailers. ' Put your age. We're not going to hunt you down if you're lying, so there's not much we can do to stop you. Lie all you want'. Amazon ' You must be over 18 to purchase this game. Well not really, we're not going to check your DNA. Infact, we cant really stop you from buying it, as long as we get our money.

#28   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
                                                          • Group: Members
                                                          • Location:Your local pharmacist
                                                          • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:12 PM

^ I'm pretty sure that they put those in there just so they won't get sued. They are basically passing on responsibility from themselves to the user/parents/whatever.
                                                          "Little Johnny shot someone after playing the halo demo!"
                                                          "Well, he had to be 18 to get on, so he lied. It's not our fault."
                                                          It's pretty sad that everyone is trying to avoid responsibility, and that people will seize the opportunity to sue when they don't. But that's a different topic, I guess.

As for censorship, very public things should be censored, like billboard or something, but things that you can choose to see/hear should have a much lesser degree of censorship. What I'm saying is that you shouldn't be unexpectedly surprised by a swear or nudity.

#29   Caael 

• Master Adept
                                                            • Joined: 09-June 06

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:40 PM

There's this TV show on whatever bbc called diary of a london call girl, and I think it was on at 8. It's about a prostitute, and you see tits and all that. At 8 o'clock. Or 9, I dont know, but with lots of parent's being young here, kids will of course be up to see these things.

#30   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                                                              • Joined: 04-April 06
                                                              • Location:The toaster in your kitchen.
                                                              • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                                                              • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:45 PM

View PostFlamingDuck, on Nov 9 2007, 01:12 PM, said:

As for censorship, very public things should be censored, like billboard or something, but things that you can choose to see/hear should have a much lesser degree of censorship. What I'm saying is that you shouldn't be unexpectedly surprised by a swear or nudity.

Yeah, you said that a lot better than I could. But I agree with that.

#31   Wiflewood 

• Disciple
                                                                • Joined: 07-January 05
                                                                • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:47 AM

Zoo is cool ;)

I prefer Nuts though.

Anyway, in our last ethics lesson we were discussing censorship. our teacher played us this song by Eminem, called 'Kim': it was really horrible, the whole song was kind of like the soundtrack to a movie, and it was just him screaming at his wife, swearing at her, abusing her. and her terrified screams and at the end this horrible choking sound as he strangled her.

We were discussing whether this should be acceptable to broadcast to young kids? I mean, fair enough if its some obscure underground band that no ones heard of who put this music up on myspace, but when Eminem puts this song on his best selling album thats in the shops, knowing full well that young people are going to listen to it, should he be allowed to do that? should that song be banned or taken off the album?

Albeit a 'clean' version of the album was released in which the song was taken off the album, but lets be honest, all the chavs who like eminem aren't gonna buy that version. So should it have been banned in the first place? for the good of society?

You can listen to it here:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-sNeTCdleg4
                                                                *Contains swearing*

#32 Guest_Eve of Destiny_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:28 AM

#33   I'm Always BROKE 

• Master Adept
                                                                  • Posts: 3,190
                                                                  • Joined: 24-October 04
                                                                  • Location:the Netherlands
                                                                  • AKA Fire Dude, Diddy Kong

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:47 AM

Eminem should be slapped in the face... and hard. By a woman!

#34   Folcon 

• Master Adept
                                                                    • Posts: 4,114
                                                                    • Joined: 29-April 07
                                                                    • Gender:Male
                                                                    • Location:Sky Haven, the island in the sky
                                                                    • Interests:video games, RPGs in particular, reading, mostly sci-fi and Graphic Novels, Kenshin is the best.<br />
                                                                    • AKA escout

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:02 PM

View PostFire Dude, on Nov 13 2007, 11:47 AM, said:

Eminem should be slapped in the face... and hard. By a woman!

I got his mom on speed dial, should I give her a call to do the honers?

*note-escout does not really have Eminem's mother's phone number*

#35   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                                                      • Posts: 8,895
                                                                      • Joined: 28-January 04
                                                                      • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:40 PM

Well, this is why albums have "Parent Advisory" on them.

#36   Laharl 

• Banned
                                                                        • Posts: 4,301
                                                                        • Joined: 05-September 05
                                                                        • Location:where horses with broken legs go =D
                                                                        • AKA Dullahan

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:58 PM

View Post.eugine, on Nov 13 2007, 09:40 PM, said:

Well, this is why albums have "Parent Advisory" on them.

not necessarily the case, such labels are too inconsistant.

you get poppy albums that might say sh!tonce in the entire album, yet i've got albums by Chilren of Bodom and Norther that have swears in the song names on the case nevermind the actual lyrics that get no such warning.

#37   Caael 

• Master Adept
                                                                          • Posts: 8,730
                                                                          • Location:England

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:17 PM

Oh crap! A sticker! My plan is ruined!

#38   Wiflewood 

• Disciple
                                                                            • Posts: 1,000
                                                                            • Joined: 07-January 05
                                                                            • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:42 PM

Thats not the point Eug, how many 17 year old kids (especially chavs/gangstas/scallys w/e) are gonna go shopping for eminem cds with their mom? that little sticker isn't going to do anything, the point is he released a frankly disgusting track on his best selling album, knowing full well that its gonna be bought by thousands of impresionable teenagers.

#39   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:17 PM

If they're chavs, it's not going to make a difference. They're already stoned out of their minds most of the time, there's no point in trying to teach them morals.

#40 Guest_Eve of Destiny_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:30 PM

#41   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 18 November 2007 - 05:33 AM

But are angry complaints really going to stop him? Of course, they could always complain to the record company.

I bought Bioshock on wednesday, and 18 rated game on amazon. Nobody stopped me, there was no message to tell me to verify my age, I logged in and logged out a happy person.

#42   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                                                                  • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:38 PM

um, how exactly were you able to shop on Amazon? Paypal?

#43   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 20 November 2007 - 02:14 PM

No, with my debit card

#44   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                                                                      • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:06 PM

Well, you can't say it's Amazon's fault. Well, maybe it doesn't apply in England, but when issuing a debit card to an underage here you need your parents signature, which are overage. Amazon automatically thinks everything you buy has your parents consent.
                                                                                      Can't believe your parents allow you to shop all you want on the internet though >>. Lucky you.
                                                                                      If was paypal, then I would have said the system at Amazon was broken...

#45   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:25 AM

They would probably cancel my card if they knew all the crazy crap I was buying. But I worked for this money, I deserve to buy stuff.

#46   Quacnar 

• Chaos Lord
                                                                                        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                                                          • Posts: 793
                                                                                          • Joined: 30-October 07
                                                                                          • Location:Coztopia
                                                                                          • Interests:Video games, Computer, Card games, Theatre
                                                                                          • AKA killercoz

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:46 PM

I would like to know why the word *** is censored. Although this statement as been said before, I hav enot read a definitive answer from any moderator on why this is. The reason I feel that it shouldn't be censored is for two main reasons.

1. The word *** is rarely used condensendally or as an insult. When people on GSSF use the word *** they are referring to its slang meaning which is homosexual. If it isn't causing harmed, why should it be censored?

2. In being ***, I am a bit personally angered that it is censored. Censorship usually is done on words that or immoral or wrong which are categories that *** does not fall under. Now I am sure that you do not mean this by censoring ***, so what is the point?

Please explain to me the importance of its censorship, for I see its censorship as one of the more negative things in this forum.

#47   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                                                            • Posts: 11,279
                                                                                            • Joined: 16-December 05
                                                                                            • Location:37°48′S, 144°57′E.
                                                                                            • Interests:.5% per annum.
                                                                                            • AKA Spam King

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:49 PM

It's not that much of a big deal. Just use tags to get around it, or a different word.

#48   Quacnar 

• Chaos Lord
                                                                                            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                                                              • AKA killercoz

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:51 PM

Its not that, its that there is a certain implication that the word *** is insulting or wrong. In my eyes that seems so ludicris, that censoring it seems ridiculous.

#49   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                                                                • AKA Spam King

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:53 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you yourself have said on numerous occasions that a person your age is incapable of feeling love for another person. So how could you possibly know that you are gay?

#50   Quacnar 

• Chaos Lord
                                                                                                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                                                                  • AKA killercoz

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:58 PM

View PostSplit Infinity, on Jan 30 2008, 12:53 AM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you yourself have said on numerous occasions that a person your age is incapable of feeling love for another person. So how could you possibly know that you are ***?

You are correct, but love and attraction are two completely different things. I mean you can be attracted to a girl without being in love with her, right Split?

#51   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                                                                    • AKA Spam King

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:59 PM

Sure, I'm attracted to my male friends, but that doesn't make me gay.

#52   Quacnar 

• Chaos Lord
                                                                                                    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                                                                      • AKA killercoz

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:01 AM

ummm...what?

#53   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                                                                        • AKA Spam King

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:05 AM

Sorry, got my words mixed up there. Uh...

My point is, how do you know that your 'attraction' isn't just 'too young to know'?

#54   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                          • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:47 AM

Yup. I think it's insulting to censor ghey. Coz, PM Max about it. He is surely to uncensor it ^^.

#55   Quacnar 

• Chaos Lord
                                                                                                          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                                                                            • AKA killercoz

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:17 PM

View PostSplit Infinity, on Jan 30 2008, 01:05 AM, said:

Sorry, got my words mixed up there. Uh...

My point is, how do you know that your 'attraction' isn't just 'too young to know'?

Because attraction is obvious, while their is grey area in "falling in love".

View Post.eugine, on Jan 30 2008, 06:47 AM, said:

Yup. I think it's insulting to censor ghey. Coz, PM Max about it. He is surely to uncensor it ^^.

Sounds like a plan, .eugine.

#56   Ironsight 

• Posts: 4,998
                                                                                                              • Joined: 22-March 07
                                                                                                              • Location:Segmentum Obscurus
                                                                                                              • AKA Darksword

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:24 PM

View Postkillercoz, on Jan 29 2008, 09:46 PM, said:

I would like to know why the word *** is censored. Although this statement as been said before, I hav enot read a definitive answer from any moderator on why this is. The reason I feel that it shouldn't be censored is for two main reasons.

1. The word *** is rarely used condensendally or as an insult. When people on GSSF use the word *** they are referring to its slang meaning which is homosexual. If it isn't causing harmed, why should it be censored?

I use *** as an insult all the time. I just don't use it on here. Like when my WoW account got hacked I said to my brothers: "Well thats ***..." and my brothers call me *** all the time because It ticks me off.
                                                                                                              I don't really care if its censored(sp) or not. Doesn't make much difference to me.

EDIT: Before you all start calling me insensitive and stuff, I DO have 1 Bisexual freind :/

#57   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                                                                                • AKA Spam King

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:29 AM

Nobody has ever had a problem with it except you... >.>

#58   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                                                                                  • Posts: 11,988
                                                                                                                  • Joined: 21-July 04
                                                                                                                  • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:32 AM

I think *** is a weak 5th grade-level insult. When I insult people I usually do it towards their intelligence rather than their orientation, the people who annoy me most are stupid anyway. ^_^

#59   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:00 PM

View PostDarkSword, on Jan 31 2008, 04:24 AM, said:

I use *** as an insult all the time. I just don't use it on here. Like when my WoW account got hacked I said to my brothers: "Well thats ***..." and my brothers call me *** all the time because It ticks me off.
                                                                                                                    I don't really care if its censored(sp) or not. Doesn't make much difference to me.

EDIT: Before you all start calling me insensitive and stuff, I DO have 1 Bisexual freind :/

Kids your age always say they're bi because they just want attention. They're not, they just feel left out.

#60   Quacnar 

• Chaos Lord
                                                                                                                    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                                                                                      • AKA killercoz

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:36 PM

There is no such thing as bisexuality, only unsurity.

#61   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                                                        • Posts: 8,290
                                                                                                                        • Joined: 21-December 07
                                                                                                                        • Location:Fuck you stalker
                                                                                                                        • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:42 PM

Um, no. People can truely be attracted to both sexes. Now, Tila Tequila is DEFINETLY not Bi, she jsut did the show for money, and publicity, but there ARE people out there that are bi-sexual.

#62   Quacnar 

• Chaos Lord
                                                                                                                        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                                                                                          • AKA killercoz

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:01 PM

View PostSkidzorz, on Jan 31 2008, 08:42 PM, said:

Um, no. People can truely be attracted to both sexes. Now, Tila Tequila is DEFINETLY not Bi, she jsut did the show for money, and publicity, but there ARE people out there that are bi-sexual.

No there aren't. There are people who are *** and won't fully admit it, have a disorted reality of what attraction is, or are unsure, harmonal teenagers. Skidzorz, please stop talking about topics you have no knowledge on. Is a pretty well agreed upon theory by psychologists everywhere.

#63   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                                                            • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:24 PM

What othet topics have I talked on that I know nothing about? Love? **** you. You can't say what I do or don't know. There ARE people attracted to both sexes. You CAN be attracted to both sexes. I know atleast 1 TRUE bi-sexual person, so don't tell me what I know or don't know.

And don't even try to say they are psychologists so they know mroe than me. There is ALWAYS exceptions to every rule.

#64   Mallick 

• Captain Cannabis
                                                                                                                              • Posts: 4,901
                                                                                                                              • Joined: 08-July 04
                                                                                                                              • Location:Manitouwadge, Ontario
                                                                                                                              • AKA Mallick/PDM/GDUB3000/Sir

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:19 PM

what if I love a hermaphrodite..

#65   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                                                                • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:01 AM

I'd say that's bi-sexual. You jsut pwnd Killer with that sentence.

#66   Quacnar 

• Chaos Lord
                                                                                                                                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                                                                                                  • AKA killercoz

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:27 PM

View PostSkidzorz, on Jan 31 2008, 09:24 PM, said:

What othet topics have I talked on that I know nothing about? Love? **** you. You can't say what I do or don't know. There ARE people attracted to both sexes. You CAN be attracted to both sexes. I know atleast 1 TRUE bi-sexual person, so don't tell me what I know or don't know.

And don't even try to say they are psychologists so they know mroe than me. There is ALWAYS exceptions to every rule.

I could go through all of your posts and point it out to you, but I don't feel like reading 1100 posts of spam. I can say you don't know something when you don't know it. There are people who are in the DILLUSION of being attracted to both sexes. I am sure you know one person who is a false bisexual person, and I still don't see why I shouldn't tell you when youre absollutely wrong. On a note that has relevance to censorship, Max said that the word "gay" will no longer be censored. i am extremely happy over this decision. GAY gay gay gay gay gay gay gay and of course, gay.

#67   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                                                                    • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:18 PM

I know alot of false bi-sexuals, but I do know a true bi-sexual. And how cna you be 100% sure that you are right. Ya, scientists psychologists may BELEIVE that bi-sexuality does not exist, but it is not 100% proven, so before you even start calling me wrong, make sure you know what you are talknig about. It is not PROVEN, and therefore, is possible.

Gay. And no that wasn't an insult.

#68   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                                                                                                      • AKA Spam King

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:35 PM

Coz, grow up. You are one of the most arrogant people I have ever met. Maybe you should start respecting the opinions of others before you flame us for bashing yours.

#69   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                                                                        • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:40 PM

Thank you Split. Maybe he'll lsiten to you.

But technically, you haven't actuall met Killer before.

#70   Quacnar 

• Chaos Lord
                                                                                                                                        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                                                                                                          • AKA killercoz

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:08 PM

View PostSplit Infinity, on Feb 1 2008, 07:35 PM, said:

Coz, grow up. You are one of the most arrogant people I have ever met. Maybe you should start respecting the opinions of others before you flame us for bashing yours.

I respect others opinions, whether it seems that way or not and I am an arrogant person. Although I really don't see my actions as childish, as arrogance isn't really a infantile trait.

#71   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                                                                            • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:10 PM

But you won't accpet people's opinions. Your's is right, and that's all their is to it. You even siad that scientists haven't PROVEN it, it's just a theory, yet you can't accept that you may be wrong. You don't know everything, and neither do said scientists.

#72   Quacnar 

• Chaos Lord
                                                                                                                                            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                                                                                                              • AKA killercoz

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:50 PM

View PostSkidzorz, on Feb 4 2008, 07:10 PM, said:

But you won't accpet people's opinions. Your's is right, and that's all their is to it. You even siad that scientists haven't PROVEN it, it's just a theory, yet you can't accept that you may be wrong. You don't know everything, and neither do said scientists.

Exactly

#73   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                                                • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:53 PM

lmao coz. Nice one x3!
                                                                                                                                                Still, stay in the five word limit alright? (omg, I should really stop moderating, but it's just ingrained in me!)

Anyway, why is b**ch censored on most internet forums, but not on television?

#74   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                                                                                  • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:01 PM

I don't beleive you are childish, just stubborn.

#75   Quacnar 

• Chaos Lord
                                                                                                                                                  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                                                                                                                    • AKA killercoz

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:32 PM

View Post.eugine, on Feb 4 2008, 07:53 PM, said:

lmao coz. Nice one x3!
                                                                                                                                                    Still, stay in the five word limit alright? (omg, I should really stop moderating, but it's just ingrained in me!)

Anyway, why is b**ch censored on most internet forums, but not on television?

Thanks .eugine, bit*hing was said in the kids movie antz foir some reason.

View PostSkidzorz, on Feb 4 2008, 08:01 PM, said:

I don't beleive you are childish, just stubborn.

Split told me to "grow up", so I was telling him thta I am not childish, not you. I am pretty stubborn as well though.

#76   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                                                                                                                      • AKA Spam King

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:13 AM

A b*tch is a female dog. Its censorship greatly impairs my discussion of dog ownership.

#77   Moonear 

• Disciple
                                                                                                                                                        • Posts: 1,769
                                                                                                                                                        • Joined: 06-October 07
                                                                                                                                                        • Location:LongGuy Land

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:39 PM

Yeah, that's just like how D!ck greatly impairs my discussions on vice presidents.
                                                                                                                                                        >__>

#78   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                                                                                          • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:41 PM

Ya, that is one that maybe shouldn't be censored, seein as quiet a few people have the name. In the New Years topic I made, whenever I typed D!ck Clark, it would be **** Clark.

Maxxx, help us out. We need to be able to say d!ck.

#79   Ironsight 

• Posts: 4,998
                                                                                                                                                            • Joined: 22-March 07
                                                                                                                                                            • Location:Segmentum Obscurus
                                                                                                                                                            • AKA Darksword

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:12 AM

View Postkillercoz, on Feb 1 2008, 12:27 PM, said:

I could go through all of your posts and point it out to you, but I don't feel like reading 1100 posts of spam. I can say you don't know something when you don't know it. There are people who are in the DILLUSION of being attracted to both sexes. I am sure you know one person who is a false bisexual person, and I still don't see why I shouldn't tell you when youre absollutely wrong. On a note that has relevance to censorship, Max said that the word "gay" will no longer be censored. i am extremely happy over this decision. GAY gay gay gay gay gay gay gay and of course, gay.

Coz, how can you claim to know more about Bisexuality than others by saying that they don't know anything about it when you yourself are only attracted to one gender.

#80   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                                                                                              • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:02 AM

Pwnd. Pwnd, and oh ya, pwnd.

Oh ya, on all the new South Park's, f**k, c**t, and every other word is now uncensored.

Page 1 of 1
                                                                                                                                                              • You cannot start a new topic
                                                                                                                                                              • You cannot reply to this topic