• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Contact

#1   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
    • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 25 December 2007 - 07:41 AM

This game is pretty awesome. It's been out for a while, and it's an RPG, but it doesn't have any of the cliche's (so far) that any typical RPG has. I.E. a guy with spikey hair or amnesia. The battleing is sorta like the gameboy DBZ games. You see a baddie, go up to it, fight it, and either kill it, die, or run away. It's not turn based.
    The graphics in it are amazing. They're on par with FFIII for the DS, if not better.

You increase your stats individually based on the usage of that stat. For instance, the more you get hit, the more experience you get for you defense. The more damage you take, the more you get for your health. The more you attack, the more you get for your strength, etc. Heck, you even move around faster from just walking araound. There's also four different elemental attacks, Earth Wind Fire and Water, which can only be used when their corresponding outfit is worn by the character.

The NPC's in the game don't treat you as the main character, they treat you as a guy in a far off distant galaxy watching over the main character through a screen on this newfangled thing called a "DS". This is seen mostly in the professor.

Anyway, the goal of the game is to find all the energy cores that got knocked out of the professor's space ship. I don't know anything past that. But there's bosses involved.

Even if you don't like RPG's much ( but truthfully, you probably wouldn't be on these forums if you didn't), you'll probably enjoy this. If you do like RPG's, you love this game.

[EDIT] Forgot to mention. This game was designed by Goichi Suda (aka Suda 51) who also made Killer 7, and is currently makeing No More Heroes.

#2   R-dog 

• Lord
    • PipPipPipPip
      • Group: Members
      • Interests:Gah, I'm too lazy/busy to put something here right now. I'll come up with something eventually.

Posted 25 December 2007 - 08:07 AM

I've played it. Let me tell you the ending is freaky.
      Anyways, I haven't played it in a while mostly because the side-quests at the end are a pain in the neck to complete. I hate fishing.

#3   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
        • Interests:Video Games & Hentai
        • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:51 AM

I kept track of this game prior to release for ages, yet when it finally came out the reviews weren't very favourable and I had better things to buy at the time so I totally ignored this. Matter of fact, I still have betters things to play even now so too bad Contact.

#4   Folcon 

• Master Adept
          • Interests:video games, RPGs in particular, reading, mostly sci-fi and Graphic Novels, Kenshin is the best.<br />
          • AKA escout

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:50 PM

For thouse that have played this game, can someone tell me where I find the wind element clothes, I need it to advance through the area I'm currently at.

#5   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:18 PM

escout:
            Spoiler

And R-Dog, I love the ending :P

#6   Folcon 

• Master Adept
              • Interests:video games, RPGs in particular, reading, mostly sci-fi and Graphic Novels, Kenshin is the best.<br />
              • AKA escout

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:22 PM

View PostFlamingDuck, on Jan 5 2008, 04:18 PM, said:

escout:
              Spoiler

And R-Dog, I love the ending :P

Spoiler
              I'm only up to Aegis right now.

#7   R-dog 

• Lord
              • PipPipPipPip
                • Interests:Gah, I'm too lazy/busy to put something here right now. I'll come up with something eventually.

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:05 PM

@ escout- Fort Eagle.
                Spoiler

@ FD- It is an awesome ending, but it raises several questions, such as
                Spoiler

#8   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
                  • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:31 PM

View Postescout, on Jan 5 2008, 04:22 PM, said:

Spoiler
                  I'm only up to Aegis right now.

My bad, I forgot they were all islands XD.

View PostR-dog, on Jan 5 2008, 08:05 PM, said:

@ FD- It is an awesome ending, but it raises several questions, such as
                  Spoiler

Spoiler
                  I guess I'll have to finish it again and rewatch the ending.

I'm also trying for 100% item completion. It's pretty hard.

#9   Folcon 

• Master Adept
                    • AKA escout

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:13 PM

Thanks R-dog, now to just find the fishing and theaving suits, but I may not be that far yet.

#10   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:32 AM

You're around halfway through, I'd say. The game is too short :(

But there is a sequel!

#11   R-dog 

• Lord
                      • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:55 AM

@ escout- Once you finish up Aegis, you'll be able to get both. The thief suit is pretty hard to get though.

@ FD- I didn't know that there was a sequel. Has it already come out?

#12   Caael 

• Master Adept
                          • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:32 PM

I downloaded this on supercard ages ago, and got bored in 10 minutes. I might pick it up again, but I still have better games to play and more work to do.

#13   Toasty 

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:26 PM

View PostNemphtis, on Jan 5 2008, 06:51 AM, said:

I kept track of this game prior to release for ages, yet when it finally came out the reviews weren't very favourable and I had better things to buy at the time so I totally ignored this. Matter of fact, I still have betters things to play even now so too bad Contact.

It probably got bad reviews becuase it's MUCH different than any other RPG. So, the people who reviewed it, which were probably more used to normal RPG's, gave it a bad score.

I can't really say if you'll like it or not, but at $18 USD, it wouldn't have been a big waste of money even if I ended up not likeing it. So you'll really only be wasteing time if you don't like it.

And FD, what's the name of the sequel?

#14   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:26 PM

I dunno, Contact 2, probably. It's been announced, but it's not out yet.

#15   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
                                • Interests:Video Games &amp; Hentai
                                • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:44 AM

View PostDude of Wind, on Jan 7 2008, 02:26 AM, said:

It probably got bad reviews becuase it's MUCH different than any other RPG. So, the people who reviewed it, which were probably more used to normal RPG's, gave it a bad score.

I can't really say if you'll like it or not, but at $18 USD, it wouldn't have been a big waste of money even if I ended up not likeing it. So you'll really only be wasteing time if you don't like it.

And FD, what's the name of the sequel?

You talk as if I read reviews written by biased nine year old. Nothing wrong with a game being different, but many were complaining about the very lame combat system, plus exploration was apparently highly repetitive.

#16   Toasty 

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:55 PM

Both are true. For combat, you pretty much just stand and watch your character attack the enemy, save for you determining whether to use special attacks or not, and to heal when his health gets low. And the dungeons (so far) are pretty linear with a few hidden passages that lead to special items.

But, I still think the game makes up for it with origionality. It's nice to play something that's finally different than all the other RPG's.

Page 1 of 1
                                  • You cannot start a new topic
                                  • You cannot reply to this topic