• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Falling-down Professions

#1   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:34 PM

I read this very thought-provoking article on the NY Times website. It raises some interesting points about social trends surrounding professions; the basic gist of the article is that becoming a lawyer or doctor, formerly seen as the "elite" and most prestigious of occupations, is starting to lose its appeal. Especially among young college graduates, there is no longer the seemingly antiquated societal belief that working and going to school for years to attain the lawyer/doctor position is worthwhile; instead, more and more people are hoping for more dynamic jobs where "the sky's the limit", not bound by years of study that can amount to less than what the average associate at a young firm can earn.

The article is a good read, I strongly recommend it. What are your thoughts?

#2   Lightning Star 

• Master Adept
      • Group: Veterans
      • Interests:I've got hobby A.D.D.
      • AKA lightningstar/Icy

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:56 PM

I completely agree. They are starting to lose their fame.

But even still, I want to be a doctor because I want the challenge. If ever America goes through another depression, I want to have a career that will still hold up; people will still need doctors to cure them, even if the economy is low, whereas they can go without buying music or art. It's a stable career, if anything.

I believe these professions should be falling down, just as they are. Now it's a loaded statement, but if you consider the risk involved when you go to a doctor or a lawyer, you want someone who was dedicated enough to go through the torture it took to get them to where they are. Law school and Medical school can make you want to give up-- I know the many times my mom has thought about just dropping out of medical school and be satisfied with being a Physician Assistant. But a person that would persevere no matter how hard it is to continue is very likely to produce a person with character and integrity; those are the kind of people I would trust with my health or legal matters.

Like they say fire purifies gold, the "fire" of harsh education and training is necessary to weed out the lazy and unfit, and produce only the top notch and quality people fit for these positions.

#3   Moonear 

• Disciple
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:33 PM

This article obviously does not apply to Indian people, such as me. Because 75% of Indian people will go on to become doctors. No kidding. I plan to be a doctor when I grow up, and I've wanted to since I was a small child. I guess it just comes from me looking up to my dad, mom, and brother, a lot, who all happen to be doctors. I also like the prospect of helping people. It seems like a good career choice, both financially and mentally, and I will probably make a difference in the world, even if it is minuscule.

Nevertheless, that was an interesting article, GL.

#4   Eugine 

• Master Adept
          • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:10 PM

NYT said:

"There used to be this idea of having a separate work self and home self,” he said. “Now they just want to be themselves. It’s almost as if they’re interviewing places to see if they fit them".
          Exactly.

I'm not going into a profession that someone wants me to, I'm going into a profession that I believe I love doing. If you question successful people, including Bill Gates most say they are rich and successful not because they wanted to, but somehow it was a consequence of doing something they love.

I stand by the policy never get into a profession that the market dictates, but one that you passionately love. I have heard so many people who wanted to become lawyers because their father was, and suddenly they realised "This isn't want I want to do". Thank God they realised it before it was too late.

#5   Drizzy Drake 

• God
            • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:15 PM

I want to be a lawyer, but not because I was todl to be, or my father was, or anything. I want to be a lawyer because I find law interesting, plus I really can't think of anythnig else.

#6   Lightning Star 

• Master Adept
              • AKA lightningstar/Icy

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:43 PM

I'm just so fascinated with the human anatomy. It's so complex, and even though I come off sarcastic, I always have a soft spot for people in need.

Doing what you love is good, but if you do what you love, and it makes you good money, then that's even better <_<

Watch me fall flat on my face during med school x.x

#7   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:09 PM

I think all the schooling and hard work stops people that wouldn't make good doctors or lawyers from even trying. It's a very effective filter. I want my doctor to be dedicted and have a good work ethic. I guess there are just less of those people nowadays. At least in America...

#8   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                  • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                  • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:32 PM

^ That's unfortunately true.

I want to be an inventor. It's a pretty risky career, especially since you not only have to come up with new ideas all the time, but you have to make them feasible as well. Unless you're lucky enough to hit a multi-million dollar contract. Fortunately for me, I've already got a handful of very useful and feasible ideas. I only lack the ability to make some of them real due to the cost of building prototypes, or the time it would take to code any one of the programs I've thought up.

#9   Lightning Star 

• Master Adept
                    • AKA lightningstar/Icy

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:59 AM

View PostPlatinum Sun, on Jan 8 2008, 08:09 PM, said:

I think all the schooling and hard work stops people that wouldn't make good doctors or lawyers from even trying. It's a very effective filter. I want my doctor to be dedicted and have a good work ethic. I guess there are just less of those people nowadays. At least in America...

True, but it also produces doctors and lawyers who are dedicated and perseverant. You don't want a lawyer that would give up on your case, or a surgeon that would give up in the middle of a surgery because it's "too hard".

Today at the practice where my mom works, a woman was complaining that she went to Mexico and she thinks she got sick from something she ate [[Well DUH. It's friggen Mexico!]]. Instead of being a normal patient, she decided she would bring in her stools in a plastic baggie that she's been keeping in her refridgerator! >.< Like, what is my mom supposed to do with a bag of crap? They say that doctors are overpaid, but at times like this, I think there is nothing you could pay me to handle someone elses sh!t.

#10   Caael 

• Master Adept
                      • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:41 PM

Its like this in Britain; there's a severe lack of scientists here because its not something many people really want to do in this day and age. People now want to do something entertaining and have immediate benefits, and with all the new age stuff like game consoles, PCs etc, people are more interested in themselves than future benefits. Science is considered 'boring' and 'hard work' by most people, but I think if I worked at it, I would really see my efforts pay off. Scientists are criminally underrated, and because there's so few, there's more money to go around -_-

I'm not setting my career in stone; I dont neccessarily want to be a scientist, but it could be a possibility, I want to leave my options open.

#11   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                        • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                        • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:15 PM

I'd only be interested in mechanical and electronics based sciences. And Quantum Physics.

#12   Kuchiyose 

• Berserker
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                          • Group: Members
                          • Interests:I enjoy watching anime (Naruto, FMA, One Piece, Elfin Lied etc). I also enjoy flash animating. If you want to know me more just send me a message and if you want to add me onto msn just ask (prefer it that way). <br /><br />Of course I'm a gamer, I like mainly Nintendo games but I also like Microsoft and Sony's. My faves are: Golden Sun 1 and 2, Jump Ultimate Star, Naruto class of Ninja, Metroid prime 1, 2 and 3, Legend of Zelda, Bioshock, Medal of Honour etc and so on.

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:27 PM

I'm going towards the law area (mainly criminal but medical ethics is also looking interesting) but Immunology looks also very interesting, i usually like reading about how our body immune system works. i usually read wikipedia sections of it XD But relating to the article, maybe another reason why people are not going to become lawyers, barristers GP, surgeons and other medicine and law areas is maybe because of the price and time it takes to become these, there aren't exactly easy (maybe the thought of falling could put a lot of pressure on) but if you determined people can make it (hence what Icy said). Hey I got C's in my GCSE's and my teachers say it would be too hard to become solicitor. Now i really want to prove them wrong and I'm getting B's and A's in my A levels, since im so determined to prove them wrong and become a solicitor.

Its so annoying when people say what you can't achieve!

Page 1 of 1
                          • You cannot start a new topic
                          • You cannot reply to this topic