• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reset The Letter That Represents Any Drive

#1   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
    • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:16 PM

I AM SO FREAKING AWESOME. [/ego]

Anyway, I started up daemon tools for the first time in like, forever, so I could have a vritual DVD drive to mount an .iso file to. Well, I didn;t have my flashdrives plugged in, so the two virtual drives I mounted became drives F and G, which I need for my flashdrives (I have files that are set up to work correctly only if the file path is correct).
    So now I'm running around in the C:\WINDOWS directory looking for some file to edit that would fix this for me. As usual, I got distracted looking at all the neat files whose functions I didn't know. So I found this neat program called "Registry Editor" or "regedit". I started rummaging through there, found a few color files which I changed for the fun of, and then got bored and exited out.

Then I facepalmed realising that tha's where I could fix my problem at. Ao I started flipping through the folders and found one labeled "Mounted Devices" which was under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM". In there, I found a few files at the bottom labeled "\DosDevices\A:", "\DosDevices\C:" etc.

So, to fix the problem, I right clicked on the drive letter that my flashdrive was set as, clicked "Modify", copied the binary data, right clicked on "\DosDevices\F:", clicked "Modify", highlighted everything, and pasted. And that fixed my problem.

So if you ever want to change the letter that your drive is set as (i.e. you're harddrive is E:\ and you want it to be F:\), this is how you do it. But I wouldn't suggest doing this to your hard drives, and no, you can't name them anything you want. I tried makeing one of my other flash drives TOAST:\ and it didn't work. =\

So, that's my story. Have fun screwing up your computers kiddies. ^_^

#2   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Veterans
      • Interests:.5% per annum.
      • AKA Spam King

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:14 AM

Brilliant work, Toasty. This makes my life so much easier. ^_^

Page 1 of 1
      • You cannot start a new topic
      • You cannot reply to this topic