• You cannot reply to this topic

Independant Games

#1   Caael 

• Master Adept
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:11 PM

Call me overly ambitious/stupid, but me and my friend have decided to create a game. Not just a crappy little flash addictinggames.com one, but a proper PC game coded and written in C++. He's doing all the coding, i'm designing everything, and we both work on everything in between. We have a story, a setting but these are all basic ideas. I'm not going to go into it too much. We're going to publish this and hopefully make some money out of this.

Once that's done, we could turn into a full-scale developer which would be awesome.

Of course it's in the basic stages right now; he's started coding the foundations of everything, and just preparing code for later usage but this could be an amazing oppertunity if we choose to put the effort into it.

Posting this for the hell of it, and if we make any money out of it, to gloat :P

#2   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
      • Group: Moderator
      • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:16 PM

Tried making something in Bioware's Aurora Engine/NWN2 toolset. Gave up on it, not enough motivation.... zzzzz

#3   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:18 PM

No, we dont have enough knowledge or experience to make a 3D game, because the rendering, the interactions and all that are too greater task for 2 people. It will have 3D graphics most likely, but strictly on a 2D axis.

#4   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
          • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:19 PM

What engine or tools are you using?

#5   Drizzy Drake 

• God
            • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:26 PM

Story? Characters? Genre? Details nigga.

#6   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:33 PM

C+ to start with, to draft thigns out
              dev to make .h's and cpps

Graphics come later on so we haven't decided that yet.

#7   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:35 PM

Story? Characters? Genre? Details nigga.

#8   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:52 PM

Bloody hell, i'll let Thomas explain it because he's getting invovled with design and development.

#9   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                    • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:54 PM

Is he online? No. Yes. So tell me nigga. Tell him to come here and explain it all.

edit-Fix'd.

#10   Legolastom 

• Disciple
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • Group: Members

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:08 PM

Me and Caael are talkin bout some complicated **** right now.

#11   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                        • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:10 PM

Make it a 2d rpg, ala Tales Of...

#12   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                          • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:12 PM

View PostWind Dude, on Jul 14 2008, 01:19 PM, said:

What engine or tools are you using?

Surely you could answer me this.

#13   Kuchiyose 

• Berserker
                          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                            • Interests:I enjoy watching anime (Naruto, FMA, One Piece, Elfin Lied etc). I also enjoy flash animating. If you want to know me more just send me a message and if you want to add me onto msn just ask (prefer it that way). <br /><br />Of course I'm a gamer, I like mainly Nintendo games but I also like Microsoft and Sony's. My faves are: Golden Sun 1 and 2, Jump Ultimate Star, Naruto class of Ninja, Metroid prime 1, 2 and 3, Legend of Zelda, Bioshock, Medal of Honour etc and so on.

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:30 PM

Hmmmm using C ++ will make better games, depending on the skills of the programmer, just by any chance why C ++? Because normally if you want to make cash wouldn't Flash be quicker (hence I can make money through Newgrounds) Well if you want a lot of cash i don't think Flash would be best bet XD

#14   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:38 PM

We're planning to properly launch this game with disk format and that.

If you want to know about the ending, I have the raw text from mine and tom's discussion about it, so if you want to read it, it's all here.

At the beggining of the story the protagonist gets a strange message somehow (Weather its a gust of wind distracting him or a weird message)
                              well this message somehow saves his life (Stops him getting hit by a bus or something more interesting)
                              later on in the story a which women or somit leik that tells him that he is everything, and everything in the universe branches out from and ends with him
                              skip later on and the main villain is somehow gonna destroy the entire universe. **** happens and the hero (Dont interrupt talk after)
                              somehow absorbs part of the universe and become a god
                              (He does this so whatever he absorbs doesnt destroy the universe)
                              he uses up all his energy and all his divine will (Thus killing himself) to save his life in the past, so that he can save the universe later on (Remember the message or gust of wind?).
                              He gets a message, it saves his life. (Skip to final boss). He absorbs part of the universe to become a god and stop the villain from destroying all of existence. After he has become a god he remembers the message and realizes that it was himself who sent it. So he uses all his energy to send that message backwards through time and save his life. Because if he didnt then all of existance would be destroyed.
                              Yes. But it is variable, all we need is a message that saves his life in the past and something that allows himself the send a message to the past. (Which kills him).
                              instead of the message being sent by the character [22:58:06] << it could be sent by a friend or somebody of high importance

there is an extremely unstable pseudo-time machine that has so far only been able to slightly change things in the past (Like a leaf falling 0.01 second slower).
                              It is being devoloped by one of the political powers (Likely the bad ones). And the main hero and his sidekick or whatever (The second player) both go inside the machine and hatch some plan to send a message to the past to save thier lives. While they are inside it they plan to create an explosion inside of it so that there would be enough energy to send it.
                              [23:02:12] >> But they both have to be inside it to do it. [23:02:21] << and the final chapter would involve infiltrating the place [23:02:24] << and using it [23:02:31] >> so they end up dieing (At the shock of the onlookers, if there are any).
                              [23:04:22] >> But the plan isnt revealed to the player until the end when the screen goes back to the scene at the beggining of the game where the player receives the message (You couldnt see it before). [23:04:22] >> And it zooms in on the message or something and it contains a familiar phrase from near the end of the game (Like bad wolf in Dr.Who). [23:04:32] >> Because the message is only used as a distraction.
                              Lets say only one of them receives the message (The sidekick didnt need to be distracted).
                              And the main character tells the sidekick that they are gonna do something else (Like kill the villain before he was born or somit) while he is actually planning to save himself so he can defeat the villain (Because the machine doesnt have to power to stop the villain). [23:08:48] >> Remember? [23:08:48] >> the main hero was gonna die and the message somehow stops him going to the place where the accident was going to happen. [23:08:48] >> So he could be going on his way to the shops and he sees the word in the message on graffiti down an allyway, so instead of going on the bus (That would get blown up in ana ccident) he would go down an alleyway. [23:08:48] >> *Accident, and that was an example of wat I mean. that there is this little thing at the begging which is mysterious and saves your life (And you most probably forget about it)
                              [23:10:57] << i have an idea [23:11:09] << because the character wouldn't know that he send the message [23:11:17] >> And it really gives you a feeling of... "Woah"... [23:11:21] << the game would start [23:11:22] >> Ya [23:11:23] << with a dream [23:11:29] << where he ignores the message [23:11:32] << and ends up dying [23:11:35] << and he wakes up [23:11:38] << and is like **** [23:11:43] << or [23:11:55] >> No. A dream where the message doesnt appear would be better. [23:12:19] >> or? [23:12:30] << i dont know [23:12:33] << somehow [23:12:52] << he gets into a situation where he goes back in the past, after saving the world and finds out there is no message there [23:12:58] << and then the world ends [23:13:10] << so hethen realises that he makes the message [23:13:23] << oooh
                              [23:14:50] << not really related to this stuff [23:14:55] << but the political factions [23:14:57] << you find out [23:15:03] << aren't at war due to politics [23:15:16] << wait wait wait [23:15:22] << there will be 2 different endings [23:15:26] << 1 for the good faction [23:15:28] << and one for the bad [23:15:33] << the good ending is the loop one [23:15:36] << but anyway [23:15:39] << let me expand on this [23:15:57] << basically the bad faction is at war with the good one [23:16:10] >> Ya [23:16:10] << because the bad faction is trying to ressurect some bad guy [23:16:16] >> ya [23:16:24] << but propaganda just indicates it's due to politics [23:16:25] << anyway [23:16:28] << in the good ending [23:16:30] << they revive him [23:16:33] << despite your attempts [23:16:40] << and so you have to do the thingy thing with the loop [23:16:42] << in the bad ending [23:16:48] << you help them revive it [23:16:57] << but because you never placed the message [23:16:58] << you die [23:17:07] << because of a paradox
                              I was thinking [23:17:40] >> that instead of making two seperate storylines [23:17:52] >> make a decision in the final battle decide which ending you get. [23:18:06] >> And the endings are exactly the same. [23:18:06] >> Except [23:18:34] >> in the good one at the end the screen fades into the message you receive and a possibly an epilouge. [23:18:46] >> In the bad ending after the machine explodes it just fades to black. [23:18:47] << nah i think my idea works well [23:18:55] << because we decided on the factions on a while back [23:19:00] << and its a key element [23:19:09] >> this still relies on the factions. [23:19:16] << ah right [23:19:22] << so you progess as normal through the factions [23:19:30] >> Yep. [23:19:30] << but at the end [23:19:36] << you decide to either carry on reviving [23:19:40] << or join the other faction [23:19:42] << i likes
                              [23:20:04] >> If you decide the revive the guy [23:20:39] >> yopu still somehow get into a battle with him (Which ends with your sidekick dieing). [23:20:44] >> So you go to the time machine in a desperate attempt to try and kill the bad guy before he was born [23:20:55] << but because you never placed the message [23:20:58] << you die just before killing him
                              (You know it doesnt work but your best mate got killed infront of you and half the city got destroyed or somit)
                              >> (You know it doesnt work but your best mate got killed infront of you and half the city got destroyed or somit) [23:21:17] << yeah so you dont care anymore [23:21:41] >> So in the bad ending. [23:21:46] >> You die. [23:21:48] >> Your sidekick dies. [23:21:48] << yeah [23:21:52] << city dies [23:21:55] << everything ruins [23:21:58] << but AWESOME [23:22:06] << and good ending [23:22:11] << you end up with the loop [23:23:12] >> And the universe gets destroyed in a paradox because when you die there is no possibility of you saving yourself and the universe would get destroyed by the villain. [23:23:24] >> Because you were not alive to defeat him. [23:23:24] >> But in the good ending. [23:23:29] << yeah i know [23:23:32] >> You and your sidekick defeat the villain before he has a chane you destroy anything
                              then you run to the time machine telling your sidekick that you can destroy the villain before he is revived and destroy the evil faction.
                              [23:25:25] >> However after you both have set everything up in the time machine you push him out. The thing explodes and the message is sent to the past. [23:25:33] << why do you push him out? [23:25:39] << to save him or to kill him? [23:25:42] >> To save his life. [23:25:45] << ah right [23:25:50] << so he goes back in time [23:25:55] >> No. [23:26:06] << wait which ending is this? [23:26:13] >> Good. [23:26:17] << right [23:26:25] << so why's he go in the time machine anyway? [23:26:26] >> You cant travel through time. [23:26:36] >> Only influence things from the past. [23:26:38] >> with the machine [23:26:40] << ah right [23:26:43] << so he creates the message [23:26:51] << and in the process destroying himself [23:27:00] << this is after defeating the boss right? [23:27:05] >> Yes because he needed to be inside the machine the activate it. [23:27:09] >> Yep. [23:27:12] << right [23:27:13] << like it [23:27:23] >> And using the much enegry destroyed the machine with himself inside it. 23:27:52] >> Because it was a prototype and was very unstable. [23:27:52] << yeah [23:27:55] << yeah [23:28:02] << but it made it so he could save the world

View PostCaael, on Jul 14 2008, 09:33 PM, said:

C+ to start with, to draft thigns out
                              dev to make .h's and cpps

Graphics come later on so we haven't decided that yet.

View PostWind Dude, on Jul 14 2008, 11:12 PM, said:

Surely you could answer me this.

Done

We're tempted to actually create anime-style cut scenes with drawings, and shiz because we dont have any time constraints for the game, so we can take our time to polish it up to as best as possible.

#15   Kuchiyose 

• Berserker
                              • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                                • Interests:I enjoy watching anime (Naruto, FMA, One Piece, Elfin Lied etc). I also enjoy flash animating. If you want to know me more just send me a message and if you want to add me onto msn just ask (prefer it that way). <br /><br />Of course I'm a gamer, I like mainly Nintendo games but I also like Microsoft and Sony's. My faves are: Golden Sun 1 and 2, Jump Ultimate Star, Naruto class of Ninja, Metroid prime 1, 2 and 3, Legend of Zelda, Bioshock, Medal of Honour etc and so on.

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:47 PM

How long do think this game will take to build, it actually sounds interesting:)

#16   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:54 PM

We're going to work on it quite a lot over the summer holiday. Hopefully by the time our coder (steve) gets back from Florida on his holiday, me and Tom can present him with our ideas (which will hopefully be the whole story, the gameplay mechanics, designs for the interface; basically all the basics) and he can begin coding.

Once he's started coding, we can add in the smaller bits such as individual items etc. Once we've done everything we can, we'll go into testing between us 3. We'll fix up any problems we have with that, and then send it out to select people who have taken an interest to play-test the single player. We'll repeat that a few times to make sure it's as solid as possible with little to no flaws.

Once the single player is done and out of the way, we can build on the multiplayer which is at it's most very basic form at the moment; simply a few ideas.

We might also do questionnaires at the end of the testing for obvious reasons.

For the moment, we're just working on the core elements; nothing fancy quite yet. That comes after the basic coding.

#17   Legolastom 

• Disciple

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:56 PM

So yeah it will take quite a while to complete once Steve starts the testing and then we got a load of **** after that.

#18   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:59 PM

Steve leaves in about a week and he's there for 3 weeks, so with wishful thinking, we'll have done all designing and worked everything out in about a month. Of course, we'll have to allow contingencey time incase somebody dies or something but i'd say a reasonable estimate for the first public playtest would be early autumn? September-Octoberish hopefully.

#19   Legolastom 

• Disciple

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:19 PM

He can code that quick? Nice.

#20   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:31 AM

I'll have to talk to him today about it, because it literally took him about 2 weeks to make the private maple story server.

#21   Legolastom 

• Disciple

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:02 AM

This is an entire game Caael.

#22   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                                              • Location:The toaster in your kitchen.
                                              • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                                              • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:44 AM

View PostCaael, on Jul 14 2008, 01:11 PM, said:

Call me overly ambitious/stupid, but me and my friend have decided to create a game. Not just a crappy little flash addictinggames.com one, but a proper PC game coded and written in C++. He's doing all the coding, i'm designing everything, and we both work on everything in between. We have a story, a setting but these are all basic ideas. I'm not going to go into it too much. We're going to publish this and hopefully make some money out of this.

Once that's done, we could turn into a full-scale developer which would be awesome.

Of course it's in the basic stages right now; he's started coding the foundations of everything, and just preparing code for later usage but this could be an amazing oppertunity if we choose to put the effort into it.

Posting this for the hell of it, and if we make any money out of it, to gloat :P

C++ is outdated. C# is newer. C++ will work fine though, but all the software developers are migrating.

Anyway, how much does your friend know about C++? I tried learning it once, but I got bored way to quickly. Plus, I couldn't find a half decent free compiler.

[EDIT] If you want to make money off this game, expect to put a year's worth of effort into it. Especially if it's 3-D. If it's not 3-D, then you'll be lucky if it turns out to be a really great freeware game. Like Knytt Stories, or IWBTG.

#23   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                • Interests:.5% per annum.
                                                • AKA Spam King

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:08 AM

Shotgun beta tester.

#24   Toasty 

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:44 AM

I call second.

#25   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                    • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:05 AM

I call tré

#26   Legolastom 

• Disciple

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:33 AM

First of all we must meet. I will arrange a place, it will most probably be dark, and you must wear nothing but very tight speedos. Also wax your entire body.

#27   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                        • Joined: 21-December 07
                                                        • Location:Fuck you stalker
                                                        • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:41 AM

Nope. I don't wear speedos. It ain't my thang, you know?

#28   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:46 AM

Done and done.

And I mean done.

But seriously, drew up some concepts today for some of the characters. We're developing them a bit more in order to get them to perfection, and then we'll put them away for a while during the coding.

And Tom, have you done the ending synopsis yet?

Yeah, you guys can all beta test it if you like. However that will be a long way off.

This is an entire game Caael.

I know that, I never said this game will take 2 weeks. Talk to him on Hamachi later about when he'll finish. He said he should hopefully have most of the raw coding out of the way by the end of the summer holidays, but there's no promises. However Steve is lending me a book on C++ for dummies so I can maybe help him out a bit. He's been coding for 4 years now and he's pretty proficient with it. However it is only one guy doing it.

And Kuchi, if you're interested in helping out with certain aspects of the game, PM me and we can assign you a role. I vaguely remember you talking about coding a while back, and we could do with another coder on board.

Concepts will take roughly 2-3 weeks, me and Steve will both be working on them whenever possible, and Tom and me will be working on gameplay ideas and story in that time as well.

If you want to make money off this game, expect to put a year's worth of effort into it. Especially if it's 3-D. If it's not 3-D, then you'll be lucky if it turns out to be a really great freeware game. Like Knytt Stories, or IWBTG.

Look at maplestory and how rich Nexon is. That's 2D.

As i've said, we've just started working on it in the last month, and it will take a long time to complete. With steve coding, that bit will be pretty easy. If we all work together and instead of waiting around for somebody to finish a task and feedback to each other, we should have a testable (by us) version in late september at an estimate.

And to answer Tom's earlier question on Hamachi last night; Steve is going to polish each bit of the game off as he goes along, because if you do it all and then make changes, he'll have forgotten which parts are which etc so he's going to complete every bit to perfection so it stays fresh in his mind.

In the far future, when the game (single player and multiplayer are completed, tested and perfected), we'll need to pitch our idea to a publisher and get our game printed onto disks and onto shop shelves.

And even further in the future, if the game is popular enough, we might consider making a sequel.

#29   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                            • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:20 AM

Not trying to be rude, or burst your bubble, but that seems a little ambitious. WiiWare, PSN, or XBLA sounds resonable, but I doubt you will get it out in stores. Not saying it wont happen, but I'll believe it when I see it.

#30   Legolastom 

• Disciple
                                                              • Joined: 13-April 08

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:47 AM

I dont think he literally means shop shelves.

#31   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:50 AM

I don't know man. He seems hellbent on making money off this game.

#32   Caael 

• Master Adept
                                                                  • Posts: 8,730
                                                                  • Joined: 09-June 06
                                                                  • Location:England

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:39 PM

Tales of Vesperia...

Holy **** that looks amazing.

#33   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                    • Posts: 8,290
                                                                    • Gender:Male
                                                                    • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:53 PM

So you're going to make the battle system like the 2D Tales Of games then...?

#34   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:14 PM

No, posted that in the wrong thread :P

Meant to put it in E3

#35   Legolastom 

• Disciple
                                                                        • Posts: 1,298

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:32 PM

Dont post the stroy I gave you Caael, if they care enough they will get it from that text dump. And we dont want to ruin the entire game Caael.

#36   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:34 PM

I know I know.

Right, now we need to work on the intro and the middle part. Both of them will be much easier than the ending.

#37   Toasty 

• Posts: 12,421
                                                                            • Joined: 04-April 06

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:53 PM

View PostCaael, on Jul 15 2008, 07:46 AM, said:

Done and done.

And I mean done.

But seriously, drew up some concepts today for some of the characters. We're developing them a bit more in order to get them to perfection, and then we'll put them away for a while during the coding.

And Tom, have you done the ending synopsis yet?

Yeah, you guys can all beta test it if you like. However that will be a long way off.

I know that, I never said this game will take 2 weeks. Talk to him on Hamachi later about when he'll finish. He said he should hopefully have most of the raw coding out of the way by the end of the summer holidays, but there's no promises. However Steve is lending me a book on C++ for dummies so I can maybe help him out a bit. He's been coding for 4 years now and he's pretty proficient with it. However it is only one guy doing it.

And Kuchi, if you're interested in helping out with certain aspects of the game, PM me and we can assign you a role. I vaguely remember you talking about coding a while back, and we could do with another coder on board.

Concepts will take roughly 2-3 weeks, me and Steve will both be working on them whenever possible, and Tom and me will be working on gameplay ideas and story in that time as well.

Look at maplestory and how rich Nexon is. That's 2D.

As i've said, we've just started working on it in the last month, and it will take a long time to complete. With steve coding, that bit will be pretty easy. If we all work together and instead of waiting around for somebody to finish a task and feedback to each other, we should have a testable (by us) version in late september at an estimate.

And to answer Tom's earlier question on Hamachi last night; Steve is going to polish each bit of the game off as he goes along, because if you do it all and then make changes, he'll have forgotten which parts are which etc so he's going to complete every bit to perfection so it stays fresh in his mind.

In the far future, when the game (single player and multiplayer are completed, tested and perfected), we'll need to pitch our idea to a publisher and get our game printed onto disks and onto shop shelves.

And even further in the future, if the game is popular enough, we might consider making a sequel.

If you're going to learn from a book, then get "C++ Programing for the Absolute Beginner" Authors are Dirk Henkemans and Mark Lee.

Far better than the C++ for dummies book I have. Shouldn't be that hard to find a PDF on pirate bay or ISOHunt or whatever.

And Maple Story is an MMORPG. There's a lot of coding that went into it despite it being 2-D. But if it's going to be some online game that people have to pay to play (like Maple or even WoW), and not a regular PC game that you intend to sell on the internet, then you might have a chance.

But if it's online, you have to either pey for firewalls to prevent hacking, or code them yourself.

#38   Ironsight 

• Loose cannon Cop with nothing to lose
                                                                              • Posts: 4,998
                                                                              • Joined: 22-March 07
                                                                              • Location:Segmentum Obscurus
                                                                              • AKA Darksword

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:26 PM

View PostDipset, on Jul 15 2008, 06:05 AM, said:

I call tré

Fourth, if it's still relevant.

#39   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:45 AM

View PostToasty, on Jul 16 2008, 02:53 AM, said:

If you're going to learn from a book, then get "C++ Programing for the Absolute Beginner" Authors are Dirk Henkemans and Mark Lee.

Far better than the C++ for dummies book I have. Shouldn't be that hard to find a PDF on pirate bay or ISOHunt or whatever.

And Maple Story is an MMORPG. There's a lot of coding that went into it despite it being 2-D. But if it's going to be some online game that people have to pay to play (like Maple or even WoW), and not a regular PC game that you intend to sell on the internet, then you might have a chance.

But if it's online, you have to either pey for firewalls to prevent hacking, or code them yourself.

It's only neccessary for me to learn the basics so I can help Steve out with the coding if he gets stuck or something. I'm not planning on writing the whole game.

We haven't really decided on how we're going to sell it yet; either available for download over the internet or to have to physically buy it from a shop or a website. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it; first of all comes the making.

And Steve is gonna use gameguard to prevent hacking. Ironic, considering that it's gameguard he used to bypass in Maple :P But yeah, he was always talking about how much better it is than any other security system and how much harder to hack it was.

And DS, we're always looking for playtesters, but you just need to wait a while because it probably wont be ready for a long time.

#40   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                  • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:31 AM

We get free copies. If not, we kill you.

#41   Legolastom 

• Disciple

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:47 AM

I am 7% Jewish. So no. No free copies for anyone.

#42   Toasty 

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:20 AM

View PostCaael, on Jul 15 2008, 11:45 PM, said:

It's only neccessary for me to learn the basics so I can help Steve out with the coding if he gets stuck or something. I'm not planning on writing the whole game.

We haven't really decided on how we're going to sell it yet; either available for download over the internet or to have to physically buy it from a shop or a website. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it; first of all comes the making.

And Steve is gonna use gameguard to prevent hacking. Ironic, considering that it's gameguard he used to bypass in Maple :P But yeah, he was always talking about how much better it is than any other security system and how much harder to hack it was.

And DS, we're always looking for playtesters, but you just need to wait a while because it probably wont be ready for a long time.

Exactly why you should drop C++ for dummies and get the book I requested. It's far easier to learn and understand.

And you should have Steve teach me how to hack. I want to change my friend's desktop background wihout actually going over to his house. :)

#43   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:07 AM

We'll see about that Skidz...

#44   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                          • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:30 AM

View PostLegolastom, on Jul 16 2008, 07:47 AM, said:

I am 7% Jewish. So no. No free copies for anyone.

whacking kike.

#45   Legolastom 

• Disciple

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:05 AM

Anything new Caael?

#46   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:28 AM

If there was anything new that was important, I would have updated the thread.

We have a new guy on the team called Jacob, who i've known for 8 years now. He's an incredible artist and so we've tasked him with some of the concepts. However he's a bit OCD so he's hijacked our story and changed it loads, so we're ignoring his version as of now. He's contributed to the story, but he's used too many outside influences (warhammer and warcraft mainly) and taken a lot of key ideas from them (mainly the chaos from warhammer; he's basically turned the "bad" political faction into the chaos from warhammer)

He's building a portfolio of sketches, steve is still experimenting with coding and making some odd programmes as practise, and i'm directing them along

#47   Legolastom 

• Disciple

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:59 AM

Ok good, if we can get a forum somewhere (Heck even here possibly) were us four can just discuss stuff together that would be great, hamachi is good but ith this we would be able to give our ideas at any time, and I can contribute >_>

#48   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:21 AM

Yeah, i'll talk to steve about that. Shouldn't take him long to get one up, he can make very basic HTML ones in seconds.

#49   Legolastom 

• Disciple

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:04 PM

Good good, that should streamline everything.

#50   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:07 PM

http://scourgegame.f...n.com/index.htm

thats the forum for the site. if you're interested in helping out, sign up, and if you make a big enough contribution, we might accept you as a permanant position, depending on what field your skills are in.

#51   Joek2 

• Gallant
                                                                                                      • PipPipPip
                                                                                                        • Group: Banned
                                                                                                        • Posts: 186
                                                                                                        • Joined: 23-July 08
                                                                                                        • Gender:Female
                                                                                                        • Location:Wherever you aren't.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:28 PM

I was speaking with Caael, and he said that since the game should take a few years to finish, that I could posibly do the sound production for the game.

Currently I only have (and have the knowledge on how to use) Pro Tools for mixing, but I'm hoping to go to Ryerson next year, and when I do I'll know exactly how to use the synthisizer and Nexus2 to make any track you guys want.

But ya, the only thing I could do at the moment would be sound mixing, but give me two years and I'll be able to actually make any track you want.

#52   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:29 PM

Post it on the forum for the game, and we can discuss it in more detail.

#53   Ironsight 

• AKA Darksword

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:46 PM

I wish I could contribute, but I don't have any softwear for stuff like that. I could suppose probably do some stuff with the plot if you like, but it sounds like your artist friend has that all figured out.

#54   Toasty 

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:11 AM

View PostLegolastom, on Oct 6 2008, 08:59 AM, said:

Ok good, if we can get a forum somewhere (Heck even here possibly) were us four can just discuss stuff together that would be great, hamachi is good but ith this we would be able to give our ideas at any time, and I can contribute >_>

HAMACHI IS VPN FOR N00BZ.

But you guys aren't using it for true VPN purpouses, so it's all good. It's great for sending files over a secure connection though.

I've got PC Drummer Pro 5 which can be used for a number of things (besides making drum beats). Plus, I'm pretty experienced with Audacity.

#55   Joek2 

• Gallant
                                                                                                              • PipPipPip

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:29 AM

To make full-blown quality tracks, don't even think about thinking about starting untill you know Pro Tools ($1000) like the back of your hand.

#56   Toasty 

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:33 AM

Or I could use freeware.

And $1000 is nothing. I can get it for free. :( (temporary piracy ftw)

Besides that, there's other programs out there that are used to make professional tracks.

#57   Joek2 

• Gallant
                                                                                                                  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:38 AM

Pro Tools, for the final mixing is the number 1 used in the world [Metallica, Lil Wayne, Beyonce etc]. Trust me, you want Pro Tools, ReFX Nexus2, and ReFX Vanguard. And a synthesizer of course.

#58   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:41 AM

****, this sound business is going to be mroe difficult than I first thought.

However sound comes last in development, and we've held off actually putting it into development for at least another 2 years. We're just gathering ideas at the moment, not creating anything.

#59   Ironsight 

• AKA Darksword

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:53 AM

You're in charge then?

#60   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:04 PM

Apparantly so.

#61   Ironsight 

• AKA Darksword

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:09 PM

EDIT: Ach, nevermind.

#62   Joek2 

• Gallant
                                                                                                                            • PipPipPip

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:32 PM

Oh and you'll need Cubase.

#63   Toasty 

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:00 PM

Exactly how many songs have you made using these softwares?

#64   Ironsight 

• AKA Darksword

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:15 PM

I'm sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, but is you Plot topic still up to date?

#65   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                                                                    • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:16 PM

I haven't used Nexus or Vanguard except for breif periods at a time, but I know people who use it [and I've seen them use it] to make perfect tracks. I do however own Pro Tools, and have used it countless times for mixes and school projects.

Trust me, you want Cubase and Pro Tools for the mixing and structuring of the tracks, Nexus2 and Vanguard for samples, and a synthesizer to actually make the noises.

You can download them all illegally of course, and you can get download keyboard based synthesizers, but then you'll have to figure out which letters/numbers/symbols are what on the snyth.

I know what I'm talking about.

Well, I mean, there is another option. LEARN how ot play all the orchestral instruments, and record THAT for the tracks, instead of using the artificial (but equally as good and 1 million times easier) sounds.

#66   Toasty 

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:32 PM

Or you could use an electric keyboard and download insturment packs for it. ;)

I'll just look for a PC based keyboard synth. I've been wanting to find one anyway.

#67   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                                                                        • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:37 PM

What do you mix the sounds in?

How do you layer it?

How do you press it?

Sure, you CAN make songs with ONLY a keyboard synth, and samples, but it will be the shittyist thing ever. QUALITY songs take time. It takes replaying the same thing over a billion times. Mixing something just right. Changing the BPM to match the other channels if it's too fast/slow.

You don't just go on, tap a few keys, and mix it together on the keyboard itself and use it. People will take one listen, and tell you that the 80's wants their video game music back.

#68   Toasty 

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:46 PM

I was talking about using the keyboard as a synth, numbnuts. It'd be way easier from my perspective. More keys on the board means more sounds (litterally) at your fingertips, not to mention that it's easy to hit 10 keys at a time on a board. I'm sure there's synths out there which have ten keys easily accesible, but I'm personally much better aquianted with a piano.

A PC keyboard would be even better though, as there's four rows of keys which in essence gives you twice as manny keys in the general vicinity of your fingertips when compared to an electric piano.

And as for how much time it takes, that depends on how many takes the band (or the guy running the synth) needs to play the piece perfectly (or good enough), and how long it takes for the editors to finish. A good song may take time, but that time is relative to the skill of the people making it.

#69   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                                                                            • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:51 PM

The synths pros use have 4-6 rows, sometimes even like 3 synth keyboards worth of keys for each sample.

Not your crappy keyboard synth.

And this isn't a discussion about the synth. You know you need it. What you don't seem to get, is you're GONNA need Pro Tools, and Cubase to actually strutue and make your songs.

#70   Toasty 

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:30 PM

Pro Tools may be what most pros use, but just how most pros use photoshop, there's perfectly good, useable, and almost even better alternatives out there. Like Paint.NET, which also just so happens to be free. And if you know how to code, you can also make your own filters, renderers, and effects.

I'm not sying you don't need something like Pro Tools, I'm just saying that Pro Tools isn't the only option.

#71   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:43 AM

View PostMiley Cyrus, on Oct 9 2008, 02:15 AM, said:

I'm sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, but is you Plot topic still up to date?

what, on the forum i made or on here?

It's not finalised its just a lot of ideas that worked well together that we've built up around. They're needed to be summarised.

View PostNeophyte, on Oct 9 2008, 02:16 AM, said:

I haven't used Nexus or Vanguard except for breif periods at a time, but I know people who use it [and I've seen them use it] to make perfect tracks. I do however own Pro Tools, and have used it countless times for mixes and school projects.

Trust me, you want Cubase and Pro Tools for the mixing and structuring of the tracks, Nexus2 and Vanguard for samples, and a synthesizer to actually make the noises.

You can download them all illegally of course, and you can get download keyboard based synthesizers, but then you'll have to figure out which letters/numbers/symbols are what on the snyth.

I know what I'm talking about.

Well, I mean, there is another option. LEARN how ot play all the orchestral instruments, and record THAT for the tracks, instead of using the artificial (but equally as good and 1 million times easier) sounds.

I hope you were joking.

#72   Toasty 

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:12 AM

I just read your outline for the plot. It's not bad, really. If this thing is completed and polished up, it could be pretty good. You just have to make it look and feel as awesome as it sounds.

#73   Legolastom 

• Disciple

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:24 AM

I come up with most of the plot *cough*

But I gotta get off my lazy ass and summarise it >_>

#74   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                                                                                      • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:38 PM

View PostToasty, on Oct 8 2008, 11:30 PM, said:

Pro Tools may be what most pros use, but just how most pros use photoshop, there's perfectly good, useable, and almost even better alternatives out there. Like Paint.NET, which also just so happens to be free. And if you know how to code, you can also make your own filters, renderers, and effects.

I'm not sying you don't need something like Pro Tools, I'm just saying that Pro Tools isn't the only option.

No, it's not the ONLY option, but it's the best one, to make the highest quality tracks. Which you will want for a video game.

View PostCaael, on Oct 9 2008, 02:43 AM, said:

I hope you were joking.

*facepalm* of course I was joknig you dumbass. But that IS an option. Just a very long and boring one. You know, with the learning of instruments and such.

#75   Toasty 

Posted 09 October 2008 - 05:56 PM

Unless you already know some (drum/piano solo).

For most video game music, you'd only need maybe one or two trumpets (three or four would be best though), three percussionists (one that's realy good on set, another for auxillary, and a third for mallet insturments and piano), a base player (preferably one that can play both electric and classic), one or two guitarists, maybe a flute or two, one or two clarinettes, two saxaphones (tennor and base), 3 or 4 violins, and maybe a trombone or two and a tuba.

All of which can be easily found in a highschool band (save for the violinists and guitarists). Most highschool bands also have people who are good enough to play some fairly complicated and elaborate pieces, and they're usually not quite as busy as other people (that's not to say they don't have lives though).

Having a small orchestra at your disposal like that would allow for a lot of freedom, but it would definately make things harder if you didn't already have pieces picked out (or god forbid, made yourself. That'd take a long-ass time) for the band to play, and especially so if you don't have a conductor, or someone who knows something about all of the insturments and how they should sound.

But it'd probably be hard to get that many people in a band to help you in the first place. Not to mention that an average band room isn't exactly fit for a recording studio/hall, and it'd likely be the easiest and best choice available for recording.

#76   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                                                                                          • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:12 PM

Toasty, if you can find me a working torrent or download of Cubase 4, I will finally acknowledge you as my spam king.

I've been looking for it for 2 days, and NOTHING!!!

#77   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                                                                                            • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:14 AM

Never mind, I torrent'd Cubase SX3. Now I just need Vanguard and Nexus. The two Vanguard torrents I have running in BitTorrent are both at 0%. They have 21 seeds. I have no idea how torrents work, so I dunno if that's good or not.

#78   Toasty 

Posted 11 October 2008 - 04:23 PM

21 seeds means that there's only 21 people you can download from. That may seem like a lot, but when it comes to torrents, that's pretty small. Try to find torrents with at least 100 seeders, and as few leachers as possible.

[EDIT] Just found a torrent for Cubase VSTi collection. Includes Vanguard, but I don't see Nexus. It's got 13 programs in it though.

#79   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                                                                                                • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:31 PM

I got Vanguard, and another random VSTi, but I can't seem to find a Nexus that doesn't take 6 days.

#80   Toasty 

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:59 PM

Well I found a Nexus VSTi Plugin. 8 seeders, 10 leechers, but it's better than nothing.

Anyway, sometimes you have to wait for these things. I've spent three days on one app before, while my friend has even spent a whole week.

But anyway, what bittorrent client are you using, and do you connect to the internet though a router (wi-fi or lan)?

#81   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                                                                                                    • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:58 PM

I am using the bittorrent client...BitTorrent.

A WHOLE WEEK!! damn I'd be pissed if it ended up not working after that.

#82   Toasty 

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:06 AM

I uTorrent works pretty good for me. If you have a router, you'll need to foreward some ports on it. Otherwise, your download speeds will be severely reduced.

I'm not sure if BitTorrent has one, but in uTorrent, if you're not getting a good connection, there'll be a yellow triangle at the bottom of the window instead of a green circle. If so, you don't have your ports forewarded properly. Also, pick a port above 57000 for your connection.

This is a good article on how to optimize your connection.

#83   Legolastom 

• Disciple

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:19 AM

Jesus christ you people always turn this into a boring discussion about computer stuff don’t you?

Also Caael: http://scourgegame.forumotion.com/plot-f3/...here-t10.htm#71

#84   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                                                                                                          • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:31 AM

Computer stuff is used to make the game, and music, therefore shouldn't we talk about it?

I don't get all the coding stuff, so I don't talk about it. Music production I do know, and since Toasty is interested in discussing it, I'd gladly discuss along. Seeing as nobody else even has a clue what I'm even talking about.

#85   Toasty 

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:19 PM

So how's your download speed?

I've figured out what I believe to be the method for tweaking sounds and adding dynamics (as well as incorporating drums and percussion), but I have yet to figure out how to get any sound besides the metronome that's there automatically.

As for the plot, it reminds me of the movie "Deja Vu." If anyone's seen it, you know what I'm talking about. It stars some famous black actor who's name eludes me.

#86   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                                                                                                              • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:13 PM

Do you have any VSTi's downloaded?

And do you just not know how to change it from the default sample to another sample? If I read that correctly.

BTW, it's Denzel Washington.

#87   Ironsight 

• AKA Darksword

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:00 PM

I hope you don't mind I signed up onto your forum. Pretty intersting ideas for the plot you guys have.

#88   Toasty 

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:09 AM

View PostNeophyte, on Oct 12 2008, 07:13 PM, said:

Do you have any VSTi's downloaded?

And do you just not know how to change it from the default sample to another sample? If I read that correctly.

BTW, it's Denzel Washington.

13. Haven't installed any though.

#89   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                                                                                                                                                    • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:16 AM

That's your problem. Cubase comes with like 4 presets, but they all suck major donkey cock. And half of the keys for their drum sample do nothing.

EDIT-Wait, so cock isn't censored even though it has two meanings, penis and poultry, but yet **** is censored, and it's a ****ing name?

What the **** is this ****?

Page 1 of 1
                                                                                                                                                                                    • You cannot start a new topic
                                                                                                                                                                                    • You cannot reply to this topic