• You cannot reply to this topic

Internet Trouble

#1   Caael 

• Master Adept
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 27 July 2008 - 08:32 AM

My computer usually has no problems with the internet. It's a little slow, but thats because i'm 2 floors above my router. Just recently, my computer is not connecting to the internet at all, or if it does, for a very short period of time before disconnecting. It's only started doing it over the past few days, and sods law, when my 360 wasn't connecting, as soon as I fixed that, my computer starts whacking up.

Anybody know what the problem might be and/or how to fix it, because I use the internet a lot and it would be a great help.

#2   Max 

• Administrator
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:55 PM

You don't say explicitly, but I assume you are using wireless connectivity to get the internet on this computer? Can you post what model your router is?

What did you do to fix connectivity for your 360? Whatever you did might be having side effects for your computer. Is the 360 also connecting wirelessly using some kind of adapter, or is it connected via an ethernet cable? Also, where is the 360 in relation to the router and computer? If you unplug/turn off the 360 and its wireless, does your internet connectivity on your computer return?

If the 360 is between the computer and the router, or even if it is just significantly closer to the router than the computer is to the router, you could be running into some interference or competition issues. I've seen instances where wireless adapters do not share wireless bandwidth fairly with other devices, either constantly flooding the network or otherwise behaving inappropriately.

#3   Caael 

• Master Adept
        • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:15 PM

Yes, I am indeed using wireless. However I fixed the 360 by connecting to a different network, one which my computer does not conect to (my 360 connects to an Apple airport router). So it cant be the problem you suggested, as it's a different router so it cant be interfering.

Though currently, my PC is working fine with the AirPort router.

#4   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
          • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
          • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:20 AM

Then there's something wrong with the other router.

Has it recently been turned off or reset or something? If a router doesn't have power for a few seconds (for my Linksys, I believe it's about 15), it'll reset to factory settings. I've got a copy of the configuration file backed up though, so I can just upload it to the router and it'll be fine.

Page 1 of 1
          • You cannot start a new topic
          • You cannot reply to this topic