Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Metal

#1   Mycarayne 

• Disciple
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • Interests:Gaming, Driving, Water sports, Karate, Magic the Gathering, Reading fantasy novels, My job (Holy crap im so glad I can say that), Lots of Music, Photography and so on.
    • AKA Memories Remain

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:24 PM

A topic dedicated only to the "Metal" genre of music, yes. That should do nicely.

So;
    Who's a fan? What kinds are you into? Or on the other hand, why do you dislike it?

#2   Caael 

• Master Adept
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:14 PM

Cradle of Filth and Slipknot. That's about as broad as i'll go. Cradle because Dani's Vocals are amazing compared to the "GRAAAAAW" of most other bands, and while for Slipknot, Corey does a lot of GRAW he can actually sing as well.

Thats about all the metal I listen to though :\

#3   Laharl 

• Banned
        • Interests:research it
        • AKA Dullahan

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:31 PM

Nu-metal (and therefore Slipknot) isnt metal....

And Cradle of Filth are just appaulingly bad.

mostly listen to Death metal here, the melodic stuff in particular, also like my Power, Progressive, Folk, Symphonic and a bit of Black

and because i cant be arsed listing all the bands, i'll point you in the direction of my Last.fm

http://www.last.fm/u...LaharltheSlayer

#4   Moonear 

• Disciple

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:32 PM

Only listen to stuff like Norther and Ensiferum thanks to Laharl. :P

#5   Blue 

• Master Adept
            • Interests:Video Games and Drift Racing

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:52 AM

I don't really listen to anything thats "metal"
            Doesn't mean I don't like it though, just can't ever think of the name of the band whenever I listen to the music.

#6   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:50 AM

View PostLaharl, on Jan 7 2009, 12:31 AM, said:

Nu-metal (and therefore Slipknot) isnt metal....

And Cradle of Filth are just appaulingly bad.

mostly listen to Death metal here, the melodic stuff in particular, also like my Power, Progressive, Folk, Symphonic and a bit of Black

and because i cant be arsed listing all the bands, i'll point you in the direction of my Last.fm

http://www.last.fm/u...LaharltheSlayer

I dont see why not, I sounds very metal-ish. I really dont give a **** about the sub-genres of metal because people get way too defensive over their favourite sub-genre. If it sounds like metal, it's metal. End of. You can argue this if you really wish.

And I only listen to a few of COF's songs. Anything not from Nymphetamine is probably bad, and there's only about 5-6 songs I like on Nymphetamine anyway.

#7   Laharl 

• Banned
                • AKA Dullahan

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:04 AM

the vast majority of nu-metal bands (Slipknot included) use a hard rock song structure with aggressive vocals and a lot of distortion, there is more influence from Hip Hop and Electronica than from Metal

#8   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:06 PM

View PostLaharl, on Jan 8 2009, 01:04 PM, said:

the vast majority of nu-metal bands (Slipknot included) use a hard rock song structure with aggressive vocals and a lot of distortion, there is more influence from Hip Hop and Electronica than from Metal

Fair enough.

#9   Mycarayne 

• Disciple
                    • Interests:Gaming, Driving, Water sports, Karate, Magic the Gathering, Reading fantasy novels, My job (Holy crap im so glad I can say that), Lots of Music, Photography and so on.
                    • AKA Memories Remain

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:07 AM

Slipknot is just that: Nu-Metal. They employ alot of metal in there music, such as heavy distortion, speed and the volcals. But, they will never be "Metal" like Slayer or equivelant.

I like the crunching guitars personally, and thats about it. I'm ot a massive slipknot fan.

Amon Amarth, Eluveitie, Sonic Syndicate, Insomnium, Killswitch Engage, Nightwish, Opeth, Trivium, All That Remains, Arch Enemy, Breaking Benjamin, Metallica, Sonata Arctica, After Forever and recently Kivimetsän Druidi are more my thing.

#10   Laharl 

• Banned
                      • AKA Dullahan

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:00 AM

distortion and vocals never determine a bands genre.

that better be old Nightwish or we wont be seeing a happy Laharl

laziness strikes again, the stuff i usually listen to most:

http://metalad.knorf.de/cache/353092550439a7d8f8e8ecc236e5bff0.png

and some other stuff; X JAPAN, Soilwork, Nightrage, DevilDriver, Sonata Arctica, Kataklysm, Catamenia, Adagio, Noumena, Thallion, THerion etc.

#11   Mycarayne 

• Disciple
                        • AKA Memories Remain

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:48 AM

Are you ever happy? lol. Ofcourse the Old Nightwish (Tarja version) *slaps*. Dark Passion had some awesome keyboard work though (namely poet & the pendulum) But the rest of it was nowhere near as good as Once or Century Child.

distortion and vocals never determine a bands genre.

Ofcourse they do? You can't sing a country & western song screaming from the deepest, darkest pits of your stomach, for example. It just doesn't work.

#12   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:08 PM

You guys really define quality by what genre it is?

#13   Laharl 

• Banned
                            • AKA Dullahan

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:57 PM

View PostMycarayne, on Jan 9 2009, 01:48 PM, said:

Ofcourse they do? You can't sing a country & western song screaming from the deepest, darkest pits of your stomach, for example. It just doesn't work.

should have been 'distortion and vocals alone' sorry. Song structure and instruments are the giveways for genre

@Caael: well, some genres are clearly better than others, os it does help if you know your stuff

#14   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                              • AKA watch

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:23 PM

View PostMycarayne, on Jan 9 2009, 09:07 PM, said:

Slipknot is just that: Nu-Metal. They employ alot of metal in there music, such as heavy distortion, speed and the volcals. But, they will never be "Metal" like Slayer or equivelant.

I like the crunching guitars personally, and thats about it. I'm ot a massive slipknot fan.

Amon Amarth, Eluveitie, Sonic Syndicate, Insomnium, Killswitch Engage, Nightwish, Opeth, Trivium, All That Remains, Arch Enemy, Breaking Benjamin, Metallica, Sonata Arctica, After Forever and recently Kivimetsän Druidi are more my thing.

Breaking Benjamin is not Metal, it's Hard Rock like Disturbed (BB is great though)

What's the difference between my kind of metal and all the stuff that people like Laharl listen to?
                              Bullet for my Valentine (new album is more metalish), Killswitch Engage, Parkway Drive, I Killed the Prom Queen, Sonic Syndicate (Denied is fantastic) and yea a bit of Slipknot/Stonesour in there somewhere.

Is Underoath metal?

#15   Mycarayne 

• Disciple
                                • AKA Memories Remain

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:46 AM

lols a I forgot Breaking Benjamin was in that list (I just Copy & Pasted it from Facebook haha) Yeah, not a metal band. But good. Very Good.

The new BFMV album (Scream. Aim. Fire) was nowhere near as good as The Poison. And all of Only Inhuman (by Sonic Syndicate) is fantastic. Eden Fire was better though, and I haven't got their latest album yet. (Love and other Tragedies)

should have been 'distortion and vocals alone' sorry. Song structure and instruments are the giveways for genre

Affirmative on that bro.

@Caeel: No, I define quality of music by vocal talent and technicality of instruments.

Take Disturbed for instance. Someone once told me that the drums follow the guitars, and the guitars follow the vocals. And if you pay close attention, they do. The whole lot is the same thing, played on different instruments. I'll admit that it can sound good, but it's just fabricated crap that (for me) once listened too more than once or twice, begins to sound like sh*t. I do have all their albums, but to me, they were more of a gateway band than anything I really "got into".

#16   Laharl 

• Banned
                                  • Location:where horses with broken legs go =D
                                  • AKA Dullahan

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:12 AM

View Postwatch, on Jan 10 2009, 03:23 AM, said:

What's the difference between my kind of metal and all the stuff that people like Laharl listen to?
                                  Bullet for my Valentine (new album is more metalish), Killswitch Engage, Parkway Drive, I Killed the Prom Queen, Sonic Syndicate (Denied is fantastic) and yea a bit of Slipknot/Stonesour in there somewhere.

Is Underoath metal?

All those bands with the exception of Slipknot and Sonic Syndicate's Eden Fire album are metalcore. Metalcore is a fusion of harcore punk with heavy metal, usually consisting of an emphasis on breakdowns, fast riffs, dual lead guitars, basslines that tend to follow the guitar work and the use of double kick or double bass drums. Vocals are usually shouted, though recent metalcore bands tend to throw some clear vox in.

Whereas i usually listen to Melodic Death Metal; a fusion of the melody of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal with the intensity of death metal. It contains a lot of melodic guitar and keyboard riffs, a lot of melodic guitar and keyboard solos, the occasional bit of acoustic work and traditional death growl vocals that usually more audible than those of regular death metal. Somewhat amusingly, Sonic Syndicate's first album 'Eden Fire' is melodic death metal XD

and yes Underoath are metal, metalcore in particular.

#17   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:12 AM

View PostLaharl, on Jan 10 2009, 12:57 AM, said:

@Caael: well, some genres are clearly better than others, os it does help if you know your stuff

Does genre really matter though? I'll listen to anything as long as it sounds good, regardless of genre.

#18   Laharl 

• Banned
                                      • AKA Dullahan

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:16 AM

well yeah, im a lot less likely to check out a band if they're metalcore than if they're a genre i actually like

#19   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                                        • AKA watch

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:13 AM

View PostMycarayne, on Jan 10 2009, 05:46 PM, said:

lols a I forgot Breaking Benjamin was in that list (I just Copy & Pasted it from Facebook haha) Yeah, not a metal band. But good. Very Good.

The new BFMV album (Scream. Aim. Fire) was nowhere near as good as The Poison. And all of Only Inhuman (by Sonic Syndicate) is fantastic. Eden Fire was better though, and I haven't got their latest album yet. (Love and other Tragedies)
                                        Affirmative on that bro.

Benjamin are great but I can't seem to get into anything other then Phobia, I tried Saturate on the way to and from work last week and the only song that caught my attention was 'Home'. Hmmm I love both Bullet albums now, I loved Poison but it was kind of all over the place style wise, whereas Scream Aim Fire is more refined, and they really amped up the guitar rifts, although it is a lot less screamo then Poison was, but they claim to be metal so I guess it fits.
                                        And I've only listened to Only Inhuman by Sonic.

View PostLaharl, on Jan 10 2009, 11:12 PM, said:

All those bands with the exception of Slipknot and Sonic Syndicate's Eden Fire album are metalcore. Metalcore is a fusion of harcore punk with heavy metal, usually consisting of an emphasis on breakdowns, fast riffs, dual lead guitars, basslines that tend to follow the guitar work and the use of double kick or double bass drums. Vocals are usually shouted, though recent metalcore bands tend to throw some clear vox in.

Whereas i usually listen to Melodic Death Metal; a fusion of the melody of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal with the intensity of death metal. It contains a lot of melodic guitar and keyboard riffs, a lot of melodic guitar and keyboard solos, the occasional bit of acoustic work and traditional death growl vocals that usually more audible than those of regular death metal. Somewhat amusingly, Sonic Syndicate's first album 'Eden Fire' is melodic death metal XD

and yes Underoath are metal, metalcore in particular.

I think metalcore is more my style, I've listened to some other stuff like Lamb of God, Childern of Bodom and some stuff I've seen you list but I'm still more a punk kinda kid I guess, I like being able to understand vocals for the most part.

#20   Mycarayne 

• Disciple
                                          • AKA Memories Remain

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:27 AM

Yeah, theres a massive difference between Saturate -> We Are not Alone -> Phobia. Personally, I reckon "We Are Not Alone" was their best effort.

Children Of Bodom are a favourite of mine, again. And Alexi is one of the most epic guitars in the scene of... what ever sub-genre there are. I just had a look at Wiki, and even they don't know.

Children of Bodom's genre classification is debated amongst fans and critics. The band could be part of several musical genres, among them power metal, neo-classical metal, speed metal, and melodic death metal. Their first two albums had elements of melodic black metal while their more recent material, such as Blooddrunk, has been said to have thrash metal elements.[17][18] The term "Tuonela Metal", recently introduced by Finnish press, albeit rare should be taken into some consideration, due to its expressiveness (i.e., its reference to the Ade, the Reign of Shadows) and to its implicit tribute to Jean Sibelius, the most representative Finnish composer. Laiho, however, says that he prefers to just be called a metal group and nothing other.[19] However, in a recent interview for the Finnish newspaper Helsingin Sanomat, Laiho states that the band's genre is extreme metal, since he feels that all other alternatives are too restrictive[citation needed]. Recently, the term "Extreme Power Metal" has been used more and more frequently to describe Children of Bodom's sound. This subgenre is also attributed to other Finnish bands like Kalmah and Wintersun.

#21   Laharl 

• Banned
                                            • AKA Dullahan

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:55 AM

lolwat...

and that's why you dont pay attention to Wikipedia

fair point in regards to Bodom (although how they are 'neo-classical metal' i'll never know), but to label Kalmah and Wintersun 'extreme power metal' is just ignorant stupidity.

Only Bodom worth listenening to really is 'Something Wild' and 'Hatebreeder', which are both MDM with a heavy power metal influence

#22   Mycarayne 

• Disciple
                                              • AKA Memories Remain

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:22 PM

lol, I didn't even notice the references to Kalmah and Wintersun in there. I just skim read it and C&P'ed it to help with a point. Tried looking for a Kalmah album today - No success >_>. Gotta love Small towns.

#23   Laharl 

• Banned
                                                • AKA Dullahan

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:19 AM

yeah...goood luck with that. I had to import 'The Black Waltz' from Finland

#24   Mycarayne 

• Disciple
                                                  • Location:Karratha, Australia
                                                  • AKA Memories Remain

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:01 AM

Mmmm, Im heading down to Perth in a month or so, they have a few good imported CD shops down there that I must visit while im down there.

Or, I'll just order it online. Much easier. Got any good sites where ya can buy CD's from?

#25   Laharl 

• Banned
                                                    • AKA Dullahan

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:28 AM

i just use Amazon, they're reliable enough

#26   Mycarayne 

• Disciple
                                                      • AKA Memories Remain

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:39 AM

Cool will do.

Hey, what did you think of "Metal: A headbangers journey"?

#27   King Progdor 

• Squire
                                                      • Pip
                                                        • Group: Members
                                                        • Joined: 11-December 08

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:54 PM

View PostMycarayne, on Jan 22 2009, 03:39 AM, said:

Cool will do.

Hey, what did you think of "Metal: A headbangers journey"?

Horrible documentary is horrible. The genre tree is all wrong.

Lol@Cradle of Filth being Norwegian Black Metal, when they're not even Norwegian. :P

And lol@Opeth being 'Goth Metal' when they're Progressive Metal.

And yeah, Nu-Metal isn't even a genre. It's a subculture. Just like 'Alternative Metal.'

Anyways, just so I won't seem totally like an opinionated ass, I'll post my own last.fm for peoples' viewing enjoyment.

Some of my favourite Metal bands are:

Axel Rudi Pell (Traditional Heavy Metal)
                                                        Vanden Plas (Progressive Metal)
                                                        Mindflow (Progressive Metal)
                                                        Dream Theater (Progressive Metal)
                                                        Fates Warning (Progressive Metal)
                                                        Grave Digger (Heavy/Power/Speed Metal)
                                                        Anacrusis (Progressive/Thrash Metal)
                                                        Communic (Progressive Heavy/Power Metal)

And just in case you guys aren't familiar with it:

http://www.metal-archives.com/

#28   Mycarayne 

• Disciple
                                                          • AKA Memories Remain

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:41 AM

"And lol@Opeth being 'Goth Metal' when they're Progressive Metal."

They were in "Stoner Metal", which I've never heard of anyway... And Yes, the genre tree thing was way off. Besides that though, I thought it was pretty good.

#29   Mallick 

• Captain Cannabis
                                                            • Joined: 08-July 04
                                                            • Location:Manitouwadge, Ontario
                                                            • AKA Mallick/PDM/GDUB3000/Sir

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:15 AM

View PostLaharl, on Jan 9 2009, 04:00 AM, said:

that better be old Nightwish or we wont be seeing a happy Laharl

FLY TO A DREEAAM

Not gonna lie, the only new Nightwish song I like is that acoustic one written by the bassist or whatever he is.

#30   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                                                              • Joined: 21-December 07
                                                              • Location:Fuck you stalker
                                                              • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:15 PM

View PostMycarayne, on Feb 12 2009, 07:41 AM, said:

"And lol@Opeth being 'Goth Metal' when they're Progressive Metal."

They were in "Stoner Metal", which I've never heard of anyway... And Yes, the genre tree thing was way off. Besides that though, I thought it was pretty good.

I`ll have to third that; the genre tree was ****ed.

#31   King Progdor 

• Squire
                                                              • Pip

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:45 PM

View PostMycarayne, on Feb 12 2009, 07:41 AM, said:

"And lol@Opeth being 'Goth Metal' when they're Progressive Metal."They were in "Stoner Metal", which I've never heard of anyway... And Yes, the genre tree thing was way off. Besides that though, I thought it was pretty good.
                                                                I saw a genre tree on Gaia's Metal Forum that had Opeth under 'Goth Metal' so I assumed it came from the documentary.

View PostG-DUB 3000, on Feb 12 2009, 08:15 AM, said:

FLY TO A DREEAAMNot gonna lie, the only new Nightwish song I like is that acoustic one written by the bassist or whatever he is.
                                                                I personally think old Nightwish is dull and uninteresting. Dark Passion Play is a genuinely good album, Anette's a lot less annoying than Tarja and her generic, pretentious opera crap. Power Metal vocalists are supposed to be straightforward and melodic anyways. Look at Alexandra Liambos from Thalion. That's what female PM vocals should sound like.

#32   Laharl 

• Banned
                                                                  • Posts: 4,301
                                                                  • Joined: 05-September 05
                                                                  • AKA Dullahan

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:56 PM

symphonic metal with operatic vocals; who'd of thought they go together >_>

you know coz Nightwish were just as symphonic as they were power

#33   King Progdor 

• Squire
                                                                  • Pip

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:04 AM

View PostLaharl, on Feb 13 2009, 06:56 PM, said:

symphonic metal with operatic vocals; who'd of thought they go together >_>

you know coz Nightwish were just as symphonic as they were power

Still boring, no matter how you slice it.

#34   Mycarayne 

• Disciple
                                                                      • Posts: 1,657
                                                                      • Joined: 08-June 04
                                                                      • Gender:Male
                                                                      • AKA Memories Remain

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:55 AM

Boring? How so? Toumas' Keys and Emppu's Guitars are pretty unboring if you ask me. And I personally think Tarjas voice is better than Annettes so I have a bit of a biased opinion on that. Annette does have a good voice however, and if Nightwish debuted with her, then maybe I wouldnt be used to the operaticness of Tarja.

#35   Laharl 

• Banned
                                                                        • Posts: 4,301
                                                                        • Joined: 05-September 05
                                                                        • Gender:Male
                                                                        • AKA Dullahan

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:29 AM

Annette Nightwish is pop shyte and a complete embarassment to their previous work. Of course there are plenty of better female fronted bands than the old stuff, Thalion for example

#36   King Progdor 

• Squire
                                                                        • Pip
                                                                          • Posts: 48

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:19 PM

Thalion is a prime example on how female-fronted Power Metal should sound.

@Mycarayne: Tarja ruined it.

I mean, I really just cannot listen to Tarja-era Nightwish without wanting to shut it off. It's really bland most of the time. But I can listen to DPP and find it interesting no problem. Iunno, I'm somewhat picky with Power Metal these days.

#37   Draghon 

• Squire
                                                                          • Pip
                                                                            • Posts: 26
                                                                            • Joined: 03-April 04
                                                                            • Gender:Female
                                                                            • Location:Kalmar, Sweden
                                                                            • Interests:I love music, food, games and my love.

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:21 AM

http://www.last.fm/user/Pukeit

Does anyone here listen to Pain of Salvation (progressive metal)? They are the only band that makes my body tingle. O.O

#38   King Progdor 

• Squire
                                                                            • Pip
                                                                              • Posts: 48

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:47 PM

View PostDraghon, on Jun 3 2009, 09:21 AM, said:

http://www.last.fm/user/Pukeit

Does anyone here listen to Pain of Salvation (progressive metal)? They are the only band that makes my body tingle. O.O

Your musical compatibility with Pukeit is Very High

Music you have in common includes Pain of Salvation, Hypocrisy, Opeth, At the Gates and Dream Theater.

Nice. :lol:

Page 1 of 1
                                                                              • You cannot start a new topic
                                                                              • You cannot reply to this topic