• You cannot reply to this topic

Sega leaks Sony plans of PS2 and Dreamcast emulation on PS3

#1   Drizzy Drake 

• God
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:28 PM

EGA has let a pretty fat cat out of the bag by releasing confidential notes from a meeting with Sony Computer Entertainment America.

Sony wants to release all PS2 games on the PlayStation 3, according to a meeting between SEGA America and SCEA.

The meeting was held on August 5th, with comments regarding SEGA's PS3 and PSP releases, as well as Sony's plans for the console in the near future.

There's mention of a big announcement at the back half of this year, which we now know is the PS3 Slim and price cut. However, there's finally confirmation that Sony is interested in emulating all PlayStation 2 games.

The notes reveal that "SCEA wants to sell all PS2 titles on PSN." Whether this will come as a case by case basis, like the God of War remastering, or that Sony is creating a universal emulator for all PS3 models is unknown. We'd personally expect the former, since Grand Theft Auto Vice City is a specific title mentioned.

Since this meeting was held in August of this year, the PS3 Slim and its hardware would have been in the company's mind - so there must be plans to overcome the difficulties of the missing PS2 GPU.

There's also mention of how these games would be marketed, with PS3 controllers shown in PS2 TV ads.

The link to this confidential information, which was on SEGA's personal FTP, is now broken.

Read the full SEGA and SCEA Meeting Notes right here.

[UPDATE] - Another exciting titbit is that SEGA could provide Sony with Dreamcast titles for the PS3.

The publisher has been tasked with providing SCEA a list of titles so that they can choose which games they're interested in having exclusively. It is further added that "if we give them a long period of exclusivity they’ll give us more marketing support."

And Kotaku for you skeptical fucks.

#2   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
      • Group: Moderator
      • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:33 PM

So this is kinda obvious, but just want to clarify. When we say PS2 emulation, we mean downloadable PS2 games on the PSN correct?

The opportunity would be too much for Sony to pass up, there's a LOT of money to be made doing that. Trust me, I would be a regular customer.

#3   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
        • Group: Admin

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:37 PM

PS2 games on PSN would be nothing short of heavenly.

I wonder if they would be upconverted?

#4   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
          • Interests:.5% per annum.
          • AKA Spam King

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:24 PM

DC emulation, huh? I've always wanted to try out Rez.

#5   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
            • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
            • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:37 PM

View PostGolden Legacy, on Sep 22 2009, 07:37 PM, said:

PS2 games on PSN would be nothing short of heavenly.

I wonder if they would be upconverted?

I sure hope so. The only reason I emulate PS2 games on my PC is so that I can play any PS2 game I want in high-res.

Though they if they were playable in 1080p, it wouldn't be upconversion. It'd be way better. They'd actually be able to render the games in 1080p, just like what I do now with PCSX2.

So it'd be 100% legit high-def gaming.

#6   AutumnKitsune 

• Squire
            • Pip
              • Group: Members
              • Interests:I like anime, Dante is my lover, Horror movies make me uber happy and I like to leave my musical tastes open as much as possible (which means I'm in love with Rob Zombie). That and I can't stand Retards Attempting Poetry, or RAP for short <3 Get to know me, you may be surprised ;-)

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:27 PM

Mmmmmm I dunno how the high res would work with some of the PS2 games..they may have to rethink the whole schematics of it.

Then again tho, I think it would be like watching a VHS on a blueray player. But at the same time, some of the PS2 released on PSN would be quite the uproar with customers, a lot of moolah to be made..

#7   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:50 AM

If they're emulating the games on the PS3, then it's relatively easy to bosst the res as I stated above. Increasing the resolution doesn't effect the geometry or physics in the game in any way whatsoever.

The only reason games on the PS2 were ever limited to certain resolutions, was to make sure they would always run at least 60FPS. Since the PS3 is more than capable of rendering those PS2 games at 60FPS, there's no reason why they couldn't increase the resolution.

Page 1 of 1
                • You cannot start a new topic
                • You cannot reply to this topic