• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HDMI Cable for PS3?

#1   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:57 PM

So my brother recently got a PS3, and we've been breaking it in a little, great console. We've been meaning to take advantage of our high definition TV (insert obligatory *graphics don't matter response* here).

Now, as I understand, you won't achieve high definition output with just the ordinary composite cables (i.e. red/yellow/white), and you need a specific HDMI cable that allows for it.

Is there any particular model or type that matters? Any recommended HDMI cables that work well (and aren't too expensive)? I'm hoping someone (that's you Toasty) can help me figure this out. Thanks ahead of time.

#2   Nosferatu 

• Master Adept
      • Group: Veterans
      • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 17 January 2010 - 02:34 PM

View PostGolden Legacy, on Jan 17 2010, 10:57 AM, said:

So my brother recently got a PS3, and we've been breaking it in a little, great console. We've been meaning to take advantage of our high definition TV (insert obligatory *graphics don't matter response* here).

Now, as I understand, you won't achieve high definition output with just the ordinary composite cables (i.e. red/yellow/white), and you need a specific HDMI cable that allows for it.

Is there any particular model or type that matters? Any recommended HDMI cables that work well (and aren't too expensive)? I'm hoping someone (that's you Toasty) can help me figure this out. Thanks ahead of time.

I'm using one. You can just buy one at really any store that sells 'em and it'll work.

#3   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
        • Group: Moderator
        • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:05 PM

I think Sony has official PS3 branded HDMI cables at electronics stores if you want to be sure, but any HDMI cable should work. Do go for cheap ones, expensive ones aren't worth it.

You guys need some games recommended?

#4   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
          • Group: Admin

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:01 PM

Oh, so any one will do? I was reading on all this stuff about it needing to be made of the best coaxial materia and whatnot, and it did seem a little too much.

Thanks for the help. And WD, that would actually be cool, I'll post a list of our tentative titles to get in the PS3 discussion thread. Any recommendations from you or anyone would be appreciated.

#5   Mallick 

• Captain Cannabis
            • AKA Mallick/PDM/GDUB3000/Sir

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:00 AM

There are diff qualities of HDMI cables, but I bought one for $25 at blockbuster and it works just fine.

#6   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
              • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
              • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:12 PM

View PostGolden Legacy, on Jan 17 2010, 11:57 AM, said:

Because HDMI uses digital signals, the brand and quality of the cable doesn't really matter. At least not until you go passed, say, 15 feet or something. The fact that Monster tries to sell "High Performance" or whatever HDMI cables for 75-120+ dollars appalls me.

Now if you were using component cables, that would be different.

Generally speaking, if an item has a good rating on Newegg, you can expect it to be of adequate or better quality.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....9&name=HDMI

This one ought to do you just fine:
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16812189053

Page 1 of 1
              • You cannot start a new topic
              • You cannot reply to this topic