• You cannot reply to this topic

Emotion in Videogames

#1   Caael 

• Master Adept
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

So I was reading an article about Majoras Mask ( Here for those interested ) and one point in particular really struck me:

"With that in mind, where does the Deku mask come from? If the Goron and Zora mask came from a deceased Goron and Zora, then what Deku Scrub was the Deku Mask taken from? Well. There’s a lonely tree stump at the start of the game. Not to mention the Deku Butler’s missing son (who isn’t a side quest), who, according to him, bears a resemblance to Deku Link. and of course the butler visiting said lonely sad dead tree at the game’s end."

This got me thinking; you go around as a deku for a large part of the game, and then at the end to see the Butler crying by the twisted remains of your son gives you the horrible realisation that you've been effectively wearing a corpse the whole time, giving the butler false hope for his lost son. Very deep.

Majoras Mask is a perfect example of inspiring genuine emotion into the player throughout as every character is shown to be absolutely terrified about the impending end of the world and when the moon utters the most terrifying, chilling lines in the game "I will...consume...everything" it really hits home this sense of desparation and hidden exterior emotions, especially with certain characters;

"The owner of the Swordsman School claims he will chop the moon in half. Go back in on the final evening, the dojo is empty. He leaves a note saying he’s gone on vacation, however he’s hiding in a secret room, curled up, rocking back and forth and is scared witless saying “I don’t want to die”."

Makes you think about how some games can make you genuinely care about certain aspects and you actually feel an emotional connection with the characters, though not many games do this nowadays. Half Life 2 is the only other example I can think of, where you feel part of the uprising, especially towards the end.

Anybody else had similar experiences?

#2   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
      • AKA Me111

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:17 PM

To be honest, I've never really felt much emotional connection with games, more in books or movies. I think to me there's always the awareness that it's a game and I never really feel like it's anything more. There is the occasional moment when it feels 'more than a game' like when I first played Medal of Honour: Frontline and you do the D-Day landings. It's a certain 'this really did happen' sort of shock when you play it for the very first time. Still that feeling has been pretty rare for me.

The Majora's Mask idea is pretty interesting. I always felt the game had good connections with its characters, more so than any other Zelda game. It's fantasy, but there's still some emotion in it. If nothing else, it's always nice to see MM getting attention.

#3   Eugine 

• Master Adept
        • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:46 PM

I have the same sentiments as Me111. I would even add music to the list before gaming. You'll be surprised how connected you can get to a song when the lyrics describe exactly how you feel!

Though, I have to admit Final Fantasy X had me going sometimes. Probably the best example I can find.

#4   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
          • AKA Me111

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:07 PM

I dunno, I liked FFX but I wouldn't say I felt much of an emotional connection to it.

#5   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:17 PM

You feel somewhat emotionally connected in FFXIII but because the story and gameplay are so segregated you're never going to be as involved as in other games.

#6   Zeypher 

• Disciple
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Members

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:56 PM

I don't think I've ever cried in a game. I have been attached to some characters, and in Oblivion I was hesitant to join the Dark Brotherhood.

I always get the shivers when Ganondorf pops up from the ruins of Hyrule Castle and transforms into Ganon, though.

#7   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:23 PM

View PostTheEnglishman, on Jun 18 2010, 06:07 PM, said:

I dunno, I liked FFX but I wouldn't say I felt much of an emotional connection to it.

It was the best example I could find lol.

#8   Moonear 

• Disciple

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:26 PM

I felt pretty sad when Saturos and Menardi died in Golden Sun, no joke.

#9   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:39 AM

View Postihatekraden, on Jun 19 2010, 01:26 AM, said:

I felt pretty sad when Saturos and Menardi died in Golden Sun, no joke.

However you dont really realise until the second game why they were doing it, and it hits you that they were doing it to save their village; not to gain the power themselves.

#10   Moonear 

• Disciple

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:58 AM

View PostCaael, on Jun 19 2010, 04:39 AM, said:

However you dont really realise until the second game why they were doing it, and it hits you that they were doing it to save their village; not to gain the power themselves.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. That cutscene in Prox is pretty upsetting.

#11   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                        • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:47 AM

Yes, MM is indeed an emotional game. The story of Anju and Kafei, how they want nothing more than to just be together, side by side, but cannot because of a single evil man. And how in the end, only hours before the destruction of the world, they finally meet up. And they are completely happy, even though they know they'll die soon enough. But everything is ok for them, because they will die together.

But possibly the most emotional game I've ever played: Mother 3. Amazing stuff. Lucas's life is truly fucked up. And the things that happen to the inhabitants of the Nowhere Islands, and to the islands themselves. I must admit I let loose a tear a couple of times.

Page 1 of 1
                        • You cannot start a new topic
                        • You cannot reply to this topic