#1   Mallick 

• Captain Cannabis
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • AKA Mallick/PDM/GDUB3000/Sir

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:33 PM

More Americans say Obama is Muslim
    By Olivier Knox, AFP August 19, 2010 1:02 PM

WASHINGTON - Roughly one in five Americans wrongly says President Barack Obama is a Muslim, according to two new U.S. opinion polls out Thursday amid a furor over a planned mosque near New York's "Ground Zero."

And roughly 30 per cent of Americans say followers of Islam should be barred from running for president or serving on the U.S. Supreme Court, according to one of the surveys, published in Time magazine and available on Time.com.

The Time poll found 24 per cent of respondents said they believed Obama — who attends a Christian church and has repeatedly spoken out about his faith — is a Muslim, while 18 per cent said the same in a study from the non-partisan Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life.

The polls amounted to another headache for Obama and his Democratic allies, who worry they face a rout in November elections to decide control of the U.S. Congress and key governorships because of the sour economy.

Pew took its poll before Obama waded last week into a bitter dispute over plans for a mosque and community center roughly two blocks from the New York site of the September 11, 2001 attacks. Time conducted its survey afterwards.

Obama on Friday affirmed the right to build on religious freedom grounds, and on Saturday clarified that he was not taking a stand on the "wisdom" of doing so.

Republicans, including some possible 2012 White House hopefuls, have vowed to make Obama's support for the right to build the project, which is broadly opposed by a majority of the U.S. public, an issue in the upcoming elections.

Pew noted the overall number of those saying Obama is a Muslim had spiked from 11 per cent in March 2009 but that the view "is more widespread among his political opponents than among his backers."

Still, "even among many of his supporters and allies, less than half now say Obama is a Christian. Among Democrats, for instance, 46 per cent say Obama is a Christian, down from 55 per cent in March 2009," said Pew.

Just 34 per cent of Pew's respondents overall correctly identified him as a Christian, down from 48 per cent from March 2009, and 43 per cent said they did not know his religion, up from 34 per cent.

Time found 47 per cent of its sample labeled Obama a Christian, while 24 per cent said they did not know his religion.

Pew's assessment had an error margin of plus or minus 2.5 percentage points, while it was roughly three percentage points for the Time study, which found sizeable hostility to Islam nine years after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks by Osama bin Laden's extremist al-Qaida Islamist network.

Forty-six per cent said Islam was more likely than other religions to encourage violence against non-believers, against 39 per cent who said "about the same" and six per cent who said it was less likely to do so, said Time.

And 32 per cent said Muslims should be barred from running for U.S. president, while 28 per cent said they should be prohibited from serving on the U.S. Supreme Court, and 25 per cent said most U.S. Muslims do not believe in U.S. values.

Asked about the controversial mosque project in New York, 23 per cent said it would serve as a symbol of religious tolerance, 44 per cent said it would be "an insult" to the victims of 9-11 and 27 per cent said it would be both.

Overall, just 26 per cent supported the project, while 61 per cent said it should not be built, according to Time.

The poll also found 34 per cent of respondents would oppose the construction two blocks from their home of a Muslim community center and place of worship for major religions in the United States.

But 24 per cent said they would oppose such a project by Mormons; 18 per cent would oppose one for Jews; and 14 per cent would oppose one for Catholics.

© Copyright © AFP

American people REALLY don't want to admit they accidentally elected a black president.

#2   Moonear 

• Disciple
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:18 PM

I'm proud to be an American, but retards like this make me fear for the future of this country.

#3   ThankMeLater 

• Berserker
      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Members
        • AKA skidzors, Drizzy Drake, Dipset, etc.

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:55 PM

View Postihatekraden, on Aug 22 2010, 09:18 PM, said:

I'm proud to be an American, but retards like this make me fear for the future of this country.

Oh really.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=BhTZ_tgMUdo

"Hi, I'm governor Mike Huckabee of Arkansas, wanting to say congratulations Canada on preserving your national Igloo."

#4   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
          • Group: Admin

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:27 PM

View Postihatekraden, on Aug 22 2010, 11:18 PM, said:

#5   Zeypher 

• Disciple

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:17 AM

Stupid rednecks.

#6   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
              • Group: Moderator
              • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:23 AM

People in general aren't too smart, can't let yourself get too upset about stupid people.

Also, Obama isn't black, he's mixed race. Half black half white. Get it right, people...

#7   Zeypher 

• Disciple

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:03 AM

At least he isn't Mexican.

#8   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                  • Group: Moderator
                  • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:39 AM

Mexicans aren't all bad, some of my best friends were mexicans.

#9   Zeypher 

• Disciple

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:04 AM

Were Mexicans?

#10   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                      • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:48 AM

Friends hardly are static, you know.

The problem with Obama is that
                      1) He has a Muslim name. Barack Obama
                      2) He was born a Muslim, sorta. I was looking to verify this, but I saw a video which said Islam is passed down from father to son involuntarily. Thing is, Obama Sr. was an Atheist before Obama was born, so I don't think this point is really valid.

Regardless, the same 20% of Americans who believe Obama is a Muslim are the same persons who complained that Obama attended the wrong church for twenty years I bet. So to them he was a Muslim attending a Christian place of worship, lol.

#11   Moonear 

• Disciple

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:22 AM

People are allowed to convert out of Islam, so it really doesn't matter what he was born as. As long as he attended church and was raised as a Christian, believing in Christianity, he's a Christian.

#12   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                          • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:56 PM

I'm not saying he's not a Christian... I just gave the reasons why the uninformed or the haters believe he is Muslim.

#13   Moonear 

• Disciple

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

View PostEugine, on Aug 23 2010, 02:56 PM, said:

I'm not saying he's not a Christian... I just gave the reasons why the uninformed or the haters believe he is Muslim.

I wasn't accusing you or anything, I was just further stating why the uninformed are wrong, haha. I'm really preaching to the choir here.

#14   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                              • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                              • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:06 PM

He is a muslim.

He's a muslim because he's black.

#15   Mallick 

• Captain Cannabis
                                • AKA Mallick/PDM/GDUB3000/Sir

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:44 AM

View PostSomeone Else, on Aug 23 2010, 12:23 AM, said:

People in general aren't too smart, can't let yourself get too upset about stupid people.

Also, Obama isn't black, he's mixed race. Half black half white. Get it right, people...

No shit.

#16   Toasty 

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:49 PM

GOSH DANGIT TROLL UNSUCCESSFUL.

So far, the only things that I can see to suggest he isn't Muslim, is that he went to a "christian church" (which wasn't christian by any means, but not islamic either), and the assumption that there's apparently no way in hell a muslim could have become president at this point in time.

Other than that, many assume that he's having the terrorists we've captured tried in civil court instead of military, because then he wouldn't have to sign their death warrant (it's against the Islamic religion to sentence a fellow muslim to death for ommitting a religious jiihad).

Obama has also exempted Muslims, Scientologists, Chritian Scientists, and some other obscure religions from being forced to buy a healthcare plan (either private or public), because (at least for the muslims) it's considered gambling to buy insurance, and gambling is against the Islamic religion's code of ethics.

There's also the whole ordeal about him bowing to that one arab leader, and the fact that his middle name is Hussein.

Oh yeah, and his parents were muslim too.

Personally, I'm still leaning towards him not being a Muslim, but there's plenty of reasons to believe he is.

#17   Moonear 

• Disciple

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:55 PM

^ Whose words are those?

#18   Toasty 

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:09 PM

Information from all over the news.

cba to name all the sources, though obvsiously the majority are conservative. It'd be a cold day in hell if a liberal news source ever even hinted that their precious messiah might be a muslim.

#19   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:36 PM

View PostToasty, on Aug 24 2010, 11:49 PM, said:

So far, the only things that I can see to suggest he isn't Muslim, is that he went to a "christian church" (which wasn't christian by any means, but not islamic either)

There you have it ladies and gentleman. Attending a church has no association with being a Christian, and we now have the revelation that attending a church is also not associated with Islam. Brilliant.

Other than that, many assume that he's having the terrorists we've captured tried in civil court instead of military, because then he wouldn't have to sign their death warrant (it's against the Islamic religion to sentence a fellow muslim to death for ommitting a religious jiihad).

False. Military tribunals have been used instead. There have even been targeted assassinations of Muslim US citizens associated with Al Qaeda abroad, a step that exceeds even what his predecessor did.

Obama has also exempted Muslims, Scientologists, Chritian Scientists, and some other obscure religions from being forced to buy a healthcare plan (either private or public), because (at least for the muslims) it's considered gambling to buy insurance, and gambling is against the Islamic religion's code of ethics.

This almost made me vomit from the stupidity. Please, dear God, do not tell me you agree with us. Please, show us all codified actual written law and its provisions that dictate this in any manner. And please, what are "Christian Scientists" and why is this an "obscure religion"?

There's also the whole ordeal about him bowing to that one arab leader, and the fact that his middle name is Hussein.

Presidents before Obama have held hands with the Saudi royal family, if that is the instance you are referring to.

Oh yeah, and his parents were muslim too.

False. His mother was a Kansan woman born into a Christian family. His father may have at one point been Muslim, but he later became an Athiest.

Personally, I'm still leaning towards him not being a Muslim, but there's plenty of reasons to believe he is.

No. There's plenty of reasons when you post conspiracies, blatantly false claims, and countless logical fallacies and assumptions that you make, then expect everyone else to follow them. There is no case that can be made outside of the most outrageous stretches of truth and believing in false notions that have been repeatedly debunked.

#20   Toasty 

• Location:The toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:41 PM

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l240/PHANTOM_014/successful-troll-is-successful1.jpg

#21   Caael 

• Master Adept
                                            • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:53 PM

Except that he's not.

#22   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:59 PM

http://www.goldensun-syndicate.net/forum/public/style_images/gssv3/snapback.png' alt='View Post' />Toasty, on Aug 25 2010, 12:41 AM, said:

#23   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                • AKA Me111

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:51 AM

I think the question I'd ask is 'So what if he was?'

#24   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                                  • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:32 AM

Well, his approval rating will plummet even further. Not that I am anti-Muslim or anything, but America isn't ready, neither should it elect a Muslim President.

#25   Caael 

• Master Adept
                                                    • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:47 AM

But...he's not.

Plus, he's already been elected.

#26   Toasty 

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:39 PM

Just because you made a statement doesn't mean it's true. :(

#27   Saturos S. 

• Master Adept
                                                        • Location:Somewhere in Europe
                                                        • Interests:Nom nom nom. Cookies.

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:04 AM

To be honest I'd find a devout christian president just as worrying as a muslim president. Just let the man make his decisions based on common sense and without any random god inspiring it.

That said, the sheer stupidity of these theories never fail to amaze me.

#28   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                                                          • Location:New York City, Boston

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

View PostSaturos S., on Aug 27 2010, 12:04 PM, said:

Too be honest I'd find a devout christian president just as worrying as a muslim president. Just let the man make his decisions based on common sense and without any random god inspiring it.

That's almost unthinkable here. Being a Christian is a necessity and nobody could be elected President without believing in God. A white atheist would have a harder time being elected than a black Christian.

#29   Toasty 

• Joined: 04-April 06

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:45 PM

And that's what we call a gross misconception, folks!

#30   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                                                              • Joined: 28-March 04
                                                              • Location:New York City, Boston

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:13 PM

You're the king of them, so I'm sure you'd be well aware.

#31   Moonear 

• Disciple
                                                                • Joined: 06-October 07
                                                                • Location:LongGuy Land

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:45 PM

Zing!

Also, somewhat relevant: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=yw4GsjcsP24

#32   Toasty 

• Posts: 12,421

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:38 AM

I lol'd

View PostGolden Legacy, on Aug 27 2010, 09:13 PM, said:

You're the king of them, so I'm sure you'd be well aware.

I like to think that my vast experience in this area has greatly benefited my intellectual ability to detect shenanigans.

#33   Saturos S. 

• Master Adept
                                                                    • Posts: 4,002
                                                                    • Joined: 23-June 05
                                                                    • Gender:Male
                                                                    • Location:Somewhere in Europe
                                                                    • Interests:Nom nom nom. Cookies.

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:56 AM

View PostToasty, on Aug 28 2010, 11:38 AM, said:

I lol'd
                                                                    I like to think that my vast experience in this area has greatly benefited my intellectual ability to detect shenanigans.

Major Hubris there.

[edit]
                                                                    Religious affilations of presidents and although there are few presidents that don't seem to believe in a god, they were never outspoken about it.

The poll itself and it does indicate what GL stated.

#34   Toasty 

• Posts: 12,421
                                                                      • Gender:Male

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:21 PM

Well to be honest, that makes me feel much safer. ;)

Page 1 of 1
                                                                      • You cannot start a new topic
                                                                      • You cannot reply to this topic