• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Warning Reminder

#1   Max 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 02 April 2005 - 08:07 AM

As I mentioned in the last news post, if users decide to misbehave and abuse each other, then the server test would be closed early. I have had reports of several people abusing other users, so I am just a hair short of shutting this thing down. The only thing stopping me right now is that I know many people only have time to play on the weekend, and so I want them to be able to experience GSW if they have not in the previous tests.

Nevertheless, if I hear even more reports of abuse, then the GSW project will be cancelled. I do not have the energy to deal with people abusing the system, and if people think it is fun to take advantage of AveneR's and my work, then we are not interested in continuing this project to this community's advantage. So this is my final warning.

EDIT/UPDATE: I realize that these problems could be minimized given a better moderation system. However, we won't have that ready until the beta, so if people can't behave on their own then I don't have much empathy for them. Therefore, if I continue to get reports of abuse, I'll end the test after Sunday night and the beta release will have to be delayed slightly so AveneR and I can create a ban/meta-moderation system.

This post has been edited by Max: 02 April 2005 - 09:46 AM

#2   Crimson Barrel Knight 

• Chaos Lord
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Members
      • Interests:Anime, manga, translating romanji, drawing, playing video games, etc.

Posted 02 April 2005 - 08:27 AM

It's not like they'll listen, Max. Maybe they just want GSW down, so they go on abusing and insulting people for no apparent reason. In any case, it's like they'll even come on GSSF and read this. It is inevitable.

#3 Guest_liquidfire_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 02 April 2005 - 09:25 AM

i personaly think the only way to deal with this issue is to create admin charcters. and a messeging system to contact the admin but the user who reports the infraction should also take a screen shot to send to the admin as proof...... just a though

#4   Nobody 

• Chaos Lord
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2005 - 09:42 AM

I agree with CBK. If that is the case, all they'll do is do it more if they even bother to read it. Isn't there a way to make a GSW user a moderator though? It possibly help to have some of the non-abusive, active GSW users as mods.

#5   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Moderator
          • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 02 April 2005 - 09:51 AM

Crimson Barrel Knight, on Apr 2 2005, 07:27 AM, said:

It's not like they'll listen, Max. Maybe they just want GSW down, so they go on abusing and insulting people for no apparent reason. In any case, it's like they'll even come on GSSF and read this. It is inevitable.

I agree. I was going to say that when I read your post, Max. :D

The abusers are usually random internet wierdos not even from GSSF, so we can't really control them in anyway. IMO the best thing to do is get a few moderators or a cursing filter or something in.

#6   Zxor 

• Disciple

Posted 02 April 2005 - 09:58 AM

Ya, they do something bad, everyone gets mad at them, so they do it more. They don't care if it gets downed because, well, that is why they do it. They get people really mad at them. Then they can just leave because they are not on GSSF.

#7   gsninja 

• Master Adept
              • Interests:Inside your pants.

Posted 02 April 2005 - 10:02 AM

I have no idea why these abuser and all want to try to bring down GSW. I agree with Nobody for the fact that reading this post will prompt these people to keep cursing and abusing other players. An admin/mod system would be a really good idea for GSW.

#8   Nobody 

• Chaos Lord
              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2005 - 10:03 AM

Like I said, we needs some mods and a way to kick/ban users. A cuss filter would be no good because there'd be many ways to get around that. One thing we could do before the test is over is to report and ignore them, unless it's something like stalking, which can't exactly be ignored because they'd keep following. Also, I think it would be good if only Max and the promoted person knew when someone became a mod; the offenders would be more easily caught.

#9   Crimson Barrel Knight 

• Chaos Lord
                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • Interests:Anime, manga, translating romanji, drawing, playing video games, etc.

Posted 02 April 2005 - 10:58 AM

Well, remember, guys. This is an alpha of the GSW game to come; the beta's much better. But in case you guys don't know or can't remember, this is not the real GSW. So, asking for moderators and admins now seems really not-so practical. Whenever the real GSW does come out, I can only hope that a moderating system will be implemented.

#10   gsninja 

• Master Adept
                    • Interests:Inside your pants.

Posted 02 April 2005 - 11:26 AM

Of course this isn't the real version of GSW, it's just the server test that's been going on. However, I agree that adding a moderating system to GSW now wouldn't seem like a good idea, since this is the server test and the beta will pretty much be the real thing. The beta will be a good idea to have a moderating system implemented in it.

#11   Blink 

• Disciple
                      • Interests:Video games, RPGs, Flight Sims, Art, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Golden Sun...<br /><br />omg this used to be mah sig.<br />[url=http://www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/OTHER/blinkstale.jpg[/img]<br />[/url][url=http://www.get--a--life.com/POLKA/polkaindex.html]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/IMG/polkabanner8.gif[/img]<br />[/url]&lt;&lt;--Click!

Posted 02 April 2005 - 11:53 AM

Wow. This is really too bad, I was hoping all that stuff would be able to not affect the use of GSW, but I guess it makes sense its come to this. For now, all we can do is remind people of this on GSW, and to ask them to keep clean and calm.

#12   Nobody 

• Chaos Lord
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2005 - 12:52 PM

Well, this is just an alpha-release public server test. For the real version, we will need the system, but this is simply a public test. For the most part, we can just tryo to ignore the bad people, and hopefully they'll stop because of lack of attention. Stalkers don't bother me as much as most other people; as I know some tricks to get stalkers off my tail.

#13   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                          • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 02 April 2005 - 05:27 PM

Again about the cursing filter. I KNOW there are ways around it but really, a cursing filter CAN help. It makes it harder to cuss. Even if there are ways around it, that doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Didn't AveneR put in an ignore user option?

Yes, this is it, type /mute <username>

EDIT: It doesn't work. I get a message saying I can't use commands. =(

#14   Zxor 

• Disciple

Posted 02 April 2005 - 06:08 PM

When I do /mute <username> nothing comes up when I press enter.

Well, it is a server test, so the flaming and other stuff isn't that big a deal, but for the beta it will be. So the beta is what really matters. But all you have to do is ignore them, unless they come after you with the annoyingness.

#15   TobiasMar 

• Disciple
                              • Interests:Computers and anything science-related
                              • AKA Gimli the Great

Posted 02 April 2005 - 11:42 PM

Crimson Barrel Knight, on Apr 2 2005, 08:27 AM, said:

Well, yeah, and its sad that some people always have to ruin for everyone...:D

Well Max, at least you acknowledged my "Report Annoying N00bs On Gsw Here" thingy in GSW General discussion, anyway, I really hope you get that advanced mod system up :P

#16   Neon 

• Disciple

Posted 03 April 2005 - 06:57 AM

ok, lets clear up a few things :D.

People who misbehave on GSW aren;'t internet weirdoes who want GSW cancelled. Chances are they want it as much as you do. THe only thing is they don;t behave as well. The only problem is that people can't be forced into stopping until there's a moderation system in place.

and like many others have said. The people who misbehave probably won't even see this.

it might be an idea to have a box on the GSW login screen with the latest announcments. Then the randoms won't miss important messages or updates or anything.

#17   Blink 

• Disciple
                                  • Interests:Video games, RPGs, Flight Sims, Art, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Golden Sun...<br /><br />omg this used to be mah sig.<br />[url=http://www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/OTHER/blinkstale.jpg[/img]<br />[/url][url=http://www.get--a--life.com/POLKA/polkaindex.html]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/IMG/polkabanner8.gif[/img]<br />[/url]&lt;&lt;--Click!

Posted 03 April 2005 - 12:39 PM

MARQUEE! MARQUEE! MARQUEE! MARQUEE! MARQUEE! MARQUEE! MARQUEE! MARQUEE! MARQUEE! MARQUEE! MARQUEE! MARQUEE! We need a marquee! It can be like the one in SMS where it scrolls across the bottom of the screen! You can have a little box above or beneath the sun with it.

#18   Neon 

• Disciple

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:08 AM

no. it's too hard to read that way. It's better to make have it on the very first screen, with the last 5 announcements. And then maybe add a button on the right for announcements.

and if you need it on the actual game, just have a pm sent to everybody online. A marquee is just... annoying.

#19   Blink 

• Disciple

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:08 PM

I disagree completely. Marquees catch your attention, and annoying or not, they are very noticable. You could have the option to click on the marquee to hide it, but it would pop up again every time it was updated OR you logged back on. Here's my idea of what it would look like, it would be very small too, so it wouldn't pester those who left it on too much.

Click here to see it, else it will stretch the screen...

Edit: Also, as for clicking on it to get rid of it, you could click on the sun to pull it up, which would be nifty.

#20   Nobody 

• Chaos Lord
                                      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:22 PM

Now that I know what you mean by a marquee, I think that it's an excellent idea.

#21   Blink 

• Disciple

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:43 PM

marquees scroll across the screen actually...

kind of like the world "Polkamooma" in my sig image.

#22   Neon 

• Disciple

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:13 AM

erm, it would have to be longer and along the very bottom of the window.
                                            Hiding it and then having it pop up for new messages etc is a good idea. I don't mind the marquee idea now ;).

#23   Omega 

• Berserker
                                            • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2005 - 06:03 AM

About the cussing thing. Has anyone here played a game called TerraWorld Online? If you have, there is an automatic catcher for people who cuss. They are muted later on.

#24   Blink 

• Disciple

Posted 05 April 2005 - 09:47 PM

Hmm...muting is an interesting idea, but then again, cussing isn't the problem really, it's who annoys you. There's even some cussing on these forums, which is ok with a few words like damn, but if someone takes it too far then yes, muting should be added.

Also, great age Omega!

and Neon, I think it would work better poping up on the top like that, and it should be fine with it's current length, it just has to move slowly. Heck, we could add in a marquee speed bar for convenience.

#25   Eothain 

• Berserker
                                                • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2005 - 04:06 PM

well...i agree with most of the ideas posted so far...the curse/swearing filter is a really good idea...but if they want,say,stalking to cease, then they should assign moderators to log in and check every now and then...that can't really be "filtered" or anything like that...

#26   Omega 

• Berserker
                                                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2005 - 04:14 PM

there are also shout filters avaliable... We should have a built in report system!

#27   Nobody 

• Chaos Lord
                                                    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:25 PM

I completely agree. By the time you copy+paste what a 'reported' person said onto a forum topic, the offender could be gone already. A quick way to report directly from GSW would be handy, as Omega said above.

#28   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
                                                        • Group: Veterans
                                                        • Interests:Video Games &amp; Hentai
                                                        • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 16 April 2005 - 03:02 AM

Who's been abusing eachother then? I never saw any arguement when I was on. ;) Probably because I was only on it for a lil' while. <_<

Anyhow about the stalking crap, why do people even find it such a big deal? How sad are you to get worried over a sprite following you in a little application? You think that sprite is waiting for you to pick up some soap so it can do something do you? Or you think it's going to find out where you live by stalking you to one of the houses in GSW? Man if someone stalked me I'd be flattered personally. :P

#29   Ravenblade 

• Disciple
                                                          • Joined: 08-November 04

Posted 16 April 2005 - 04:04 PM

Its more annoying than harrassive in my opinion. I hated people following me around everywhere. Its the principle of the thing though, sad people who have nothing better to dowith their lives than follow around female sprites -.-

#30   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
                                                            • Joined: 28-January 04
                                                            • Location:London, UK
                                                            • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 16 April 2005 - 07:45 PM

About these 1timer abusers. Why not just have a "feedback" system for each user, so if someone is being annoying, you leave feedback on what they're doing that you find wrong. With enough feedback the persons IP can get suspended. :P

#31   Eothain 

• Berserker
                                                            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                              • Joined: 06-April 05

Posted 17 April 2005 - 07:28 AM

that sounds good. And i agree that stalking isn't such a big deal. Heck, even some real swearing wasn't such a big deal to me, as sometimes you kinda nees those words to make a joke funny...the thing is..as i've stated in many topics before, is that, in my opinion, people aretaking GSW way too seriously...not that it's not meant to...but i log on to have fun,i don't go in GSW to appear as a fully mature person, or to hone my english typing skills... my point is, if GSW does implement all those moderation systems, then GSW won't be fun anymore. If you see, al the "abusive" people who "don't care", don't post in these forums...but they were the people who made it fun...how much fun do you guys think GSW would be if you could only go aorund saying "tidings, friend, how do you do?"...

#32   Ravenblade 

• Disciple
                                                                • Joined: 08-November 04

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:57 AM

Its possible to be funny and interesting without swearing and perving at people. Thats how the spam forum around here survived.

#33   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
                                                                  • Posts: 2,770
                                                                  • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:34 PM

Yeah but most of the best jokes involve some sort of swearing or abuse to make a funny joke, a hillarious joke. I agree with what he's saying. He means if we keep putting on too many rules and limits for people, sooner or later there's going to be no room left for fun. If there's no room left for fun and enjoyment, then I think GSW no longer has a purpose.

#34   Neon 

• Disciple
                                                                    • Posts: 1,422
                                                                    • Joined: 28-February 04
                                                                    • Gender:Male
                                                                    • Location:Aussieland

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:42 PM

you have just summarised how exactly how I feel :\.

#35   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
                                                                      • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:48 PM

That's 'cause I can read minds dawg!

Hey, I've seen it all in GSW. Straight couples, *** couples, stalkers, clowns, hoe's and spooners. ;D I missed most of this server test though, I wasn't aware it re-opened lol.

#36   Blink 

• Disciple
                                                                        • Posts: 1,087
                                                                        • Joined: 23-January 05

Posted 18 April 2005 - 12:58 AM

so long as its not a total spam place but more of a fun place...

#37   Eothain 

• Berserker
                                                                        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                                          • Posts: 568

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:06 PM

ok...what i think, is that the makers of GSW are trying to create a harassment free chat room...and i understand that...they don't want anything wrong done to anyone... the problem is...you'll find that some people, and i don't intend to offend anyone, get offended rather easily, by really stupid stuff...and i think those people are ruining GSW more than "abusers"...cause some people, like i meantioned countless times, are just having fun...but say, that the "non-abusers-who-get-easily-offended" have their way and GSW is heavily modded...then it's going to be no fun, even for them...cause you can chat nicely with someone, but only for so long...after that it's "messin' around" time... and when that time comes, if you're restricted to do NOTHING that may, in any way, offend someone, then you're stuck in "talking nice" time... you guys get my point

#38   Blink 

• Disciple

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:38 PM

*looks at "Report annoying N00bs" topic*

you mean about half of those people?

#39   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
                                                                              • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:09 PM

End of the day, the moderating depends on the members, not the Mods. You need to know when to not take something to far. I can freely admit I've sworn quite a few times on GSW. But I don't do it in public when I think it may offend some people, I swear amongst my friends when strangers aren't around. For me, swearing isn't that offensive unless you're directing it at someone, I grew up in areas where legit businessmen even swear all the time lol.

Again though, I agree with you, some people here are as I call it, very "tight". I don't know why so many of us here are rule-whores. Maybe some people think they can make a name for themselves by saying "omg! you swore! I'm telling Max!". Or maybe they just grew up different which I can respect, but either way, too much chains around members isn't good.

In my clan forums I don't have any Mods or anything, I let my members swear freely as long as they're not trying to offend eachother. So far no problems because my members have the maturity to behave without me having to kick their ass to remind them. I think many people here at GSSF have that level of maturity too, so we should take advantage of this rare thing we have.

Also, undercover Mods would be cool. :P

#40   Nobody 

• Chaos Lord
                                                                              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                                                • Posts: 653
                                                                                • Joined: 11-March 05

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:23 PM

Eothain, on Apr 18 2005, 06:06 PM, said:

ok...what i think, is that the makers of GSW are trying to create a harassment free chat room...and i understand that...they don't want anything wrong done to anyone... the problem is...you'll find that some people, and i don't intend to offend anyone, get offended rather easily, by really stupid stuff...and i think those people are ruining GSW more than "abusers"...cause some people, like i meantioned countless times, are just having fun...but say, that the "non-abusers-who-get-easily-offended" have their way and GSW is heavily modded...then it's going to be no fun, even for them...cause you can chat nicely with someone, but only for so long...after that it's "messin' around" time... and when that time comes, if you're restricted to do NOTHING that may, in any way, offend someone, then you're stuck in "talking nice" time... you guys get my point

Well said. I agree with that post 100%. People should not take these things so seriously! The people who repeatetively complain so much because of "abusers" are ruining it more than the abusers (reminds me EXACTLY of my brother).

#41   Blink 

• Disciple

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:51 PM

Ought to be like the forums I think. Small swearing is ok, but sexual talk isn't? How's that sound?

#42   Warbird 

• Squire
                                                                                  • Pip
                                                                                    • Posts: 52
                                                                                    • Joined: 05-April 05
                                                                                    • Location:Buffalo, New York

Posted 19 April 2005 - 10:09 PM

But peoples opinion of what "small swearing" is and what it isnt varies, doesnt it? so unless someone sets some specific guidlines im not sure about the small swearing.

#43   Angelic_Raine 

• Squire
                                                                                    • Pip
                                                                                      • Posts: 53
                                                                                      • Joined: 20-January 05
                                                                                      • Location:Regina, SK, Canada
                                                                                      • Interests:I enjoy the odd RP, reading, writing, ANIME and of course Golden Sun: The Lost Age. Oh and cheerleading!! Hopefully this spring at my first tryouts at University cheerleading I'll make at least the JV team, wish me luck ^-^. I also love Angel Sanctuary, Rurouni Kenshin, Final Fantasy and The Tales Of Symphonia video game and my newest video game addiction... Baten Kaitos!! Oh and don't rub me the wrong way as I am quick to anger :P!... No really I am XD!

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:56 PM

I would have to agree with you Anubis. Plus, are some of these members doing it for the simple fact they are worried their parents might find out that there is swearing in a chat room they are in and cut off their internet? I don't mean to point fingers but I've noticed that a lot of these users that find it offensive are the younger users. Is there not a rule for most chats that anyone under 13 shouldn't be allowed in without parental supervision for that simple fact that there could be stuff on there that offends them? I'm not trying to "ban" the younger users from GSW because a lot of them are great to hang out with, I'm just saying that every other chat room I've been to has had that rule set in place so that things such as those that are happening at this present time, what with the complaining of offensive material, do not happen... All in all my suggestion is to warn people that it is PG13 and once they step above that line they are out, therefore no one can complain either way. I do believe PG13 allows swearing, although not at one another... That's my bit...

#44   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
                                                                                        • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 20 April 2005 - 08:06 AM

He has a point, upon registering you agree you are either 13 years or older, or your parents allow you to use the forums with supervision.

#45   Blink 

• Disciple

Posted 20 April 2005 - 10:40 AM

We'd have to have a way to confirm they were 13 though. Maybe we could just have a "Yes I agree" disclaimer or something simple, but only at registration...

#46   Neon 

• Disciple
                                                                                            • Posts: 1,422
                                                                                            • Joined: 28-February 04
                                                                                            • Location:Aussieland

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:51 AM

It's with a parents permission, not necessarily wioth supervision :\.

Anyway, this is whee the member moderation system comes in. If people find it offencive they can kick the person out. If not then there's no need to kick them off is there?

I guess if you need mods to enforce the rules, you can give there votes a bigger weighting. i explained this somewhere else. You make it so the vote of a moderator is worth 2 or 3 regular votes, so that their judgement (which is more important) has a bigger influence. You can't have the opinions of a few n00bs having more influence than moderators.

I don't know really. If we need moderators than it may be best to have a system to alert moderators. And the have the vote kick as a backup for when a mod isn't online.

I think max should test a variety of ways when the beta is realeased and work out which is best from there. Our ideas may sound good in theory, but probably won't work too good in paractice

#47   Eothain 

• Berserker
                                                                                            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                                                              • Posts: 568

Posted 20 April 2005 - 04:19 PM

i agree with anubis' idea of having some type of "agreement" before downloading GSW. That way the need for mods isn't so necessary anymore...you go in, you know you are subject to be, under some circumstance, offended in some way...and the age thing too... if you're 13, be aware that you'll find stuff in GSW that your parents might not want you to watch...in other words, ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK lolZ!...only it should be put in a linguistically nicer way...

#48   Blink 

• Disciple

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:28 PM

Indeed, I'm sure there are many ways we can moderate GSW, and voting could be one of the best, but for now, I'm tempted to say put up a police box that you make calls of people in, and if those people are called for 5 times or something, then they get kicked for 5 min. Then if they do it again the same day, 10 min, and so on.

#49   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                  • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:50 PM

Neon, your idea is okay but Mods should have the power to instantly kick. Also, voting system can get a abused since a group of morons may sign on who are "friends" and send feedback about someone totally innocent just to get them kicked for fun. I've seen it happen on Xbox Live since that also has a Feedback system to report and take care of cheaters/anusers.

#50   Mysterious Adept 

• Lord
                                                                                                  • PipPipPipPip
                                                                                                    • Posts: 275
                                                                                                    • Joined: 03-September 04
                                                                                                    • Location:USA
                                                                                                    • Interests:Hello. How are you? I'm good. Am i talking to myself? well if i am DO NOT BE ALARMED! I'm like that lol

Posted 02 May 2005 - 04:03 PM

Anubis, on Apr 21 2005, 12:50 AM, said:

Neon, your idea is okay but Mods should have the power to instantly kick. Also, voting system can get a abused since a group of morons may sign on who are "friends" and send feedback about someone totally innocent just to get them kicked for fun. I've seen it happen on Xbox Live since that also has a Feedback system to report and take care of cheaters/anusers.

thats a good point, i've known people who have done that sadly, if there is a feedback system somehow they will have to present proof, but how you do that, i dunno

#51   Jai 

• Knight
                                                                                                    • PipPip
                                                                                                      • Posts: 83
                                                                                                      • Joined: 05-April 05
                                                                                                      • Location:Need to know basis only
                                                                                                      • Interests:E mail me and I'll telll you (if your a female) Im also African American

Posted 10 May 2005 - 09:33 AM

I dont know if anyone has noticed or not but it seems to get harder and harder to find golden sun world through google search engine and usally its the first site to show up on the search list many of you probably dont have this problem because you probably have this website on your favorites list or bookmark any way i thought i this means something so this is just a reminder

Page 1 of 1
                                                                                                      • You cannot start a new topic
                                                                                                      • You cannot reply to this topic