• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No More N00b Topics! my rant <_<

#1   Neon 

• Disciple
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members

Posted 07 April 2005 - 03:36 AM

Ok everyone, i've been close to tearing down several topics several times now. The same attitude has been popping up all over the GSW forum.

Anyway, the problem seems to be that everyone from the forum is flaming other people for not posting to their standards.

Let me just focus on a few things:
    GSW is a CHATROOM. THere is no such thing as a live discussion in which people continually post constructive ideas and have focussed discussions all the time. ANyone who uses MSN or IRC or anything similar shouldnt be shocked by any of this, it seems to only be a few people who expect discussion on par witht he forum. Think of GSW as one big interactive spam forum.

Why do you all insist on flaming other people. i've noticed that hardly anyone off the forum is listed in these n00b lists. People from outside the forum don't always know what many of you expect in the weay of discussion or appropriate actions and language. That's no need to go and ***** about them behind their back. You seriously need to remember that GSW is a place toi just have fun. Yes, singing and joking is all part of this. it isnt somewhere to sit aorund and discuss world politics. If that's what peoiple want to discuss at the time, then sure! But it's wrong to demand certain discussion or whatever pof people in a chatroom.

I blame the n00b arguments for this. The forum is a great place, but it seems to have created the expectation that everyone should post perfectly all the time. We all get the idea into our heads that we are the perfect posters. And when someone fails to post to 'our' standards, we take it upon ourselves to degrade them as much as we can untill they either leave or 'apollogise' just to get a break from our endless harrassment. DOn't deny it! Several people have taken on this attitude since the server test. I have no idea what jai did to deserve the judgement of everyone here, but the way you all harassed him because one of your fellow members complained about his actions is apalling :).

Don't get me wrong, I like the forum and practically everyone in it, but the high expectations of forum memembers (which has annoyed me for a while now), seems to have gotten the better of everyone. I hardly find it necessary to gang up on other people who are innocent. Sure, you may not agree with something they did, but talk it over with them on GSW instead of coming back here and mass flaming them.
    I'm sure that since most of us expect some decent behaviour, we could explain to them briefly that we don't want them stalking or continually spamming and then just leave it at that.

#2   Enoch 

• Disciple
      • Interests:Serving my fellow man. What greater joy is there than this?

Posted 07 April 2005 - 06:09 AM

N00b has become such a harsh word. Just because someone dousn't know any better, people jump all over their case. And then those that feel that things have changed or "things aren't the same with all these n00bs", they end up leaving. Nobody seems to understand that everyone here is around the same age and most likely the same IQ. N00bs aren't lesser life forms.

Though this topic probobly shouldn't have been posted in GSW section.

#3   Ravenblade 

• Disciple
        • Group: Veterans

Posted 07 April 2005 - 06:22 AM

I agree Neon, i closed one of them yesterday and any more that are set up that involve making negative comments about other members will go instantly.

The n00b thing has also gotten out of hand all thats a harder one to stop. If any of the members being complained about ever joined the forums and saw these threads then we who would flame wars and hurt feelings all over the place so as Neon said it needs to stop.

#4   Blink 

• Disciple
          • Interests:Video games, RPGs, Flight Sims, Art, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Golden Sun...<br /><br />omg this used to be mah sig.<br />[url=http://www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/OTHER/blinkstale.jpg[/img]<br />[/url][url=http://www.get--a--life.com/POLKA/polkaindex.html]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/IMG/polkabanner8.gif[/img]<br />[/url]&lt;&lt;--Click!

Posted 07 April 2005 - 12:31 PM

Zxor said:

I was standing there, Jai goes up to ShadowSage, behind her, and, then jai says, *squezes butt*.

That's the kind of stuff people get offended about, and really, it's the only real reason I talked to Jai about being better behaved on the forums. Goofing off is one thing, but going around acting like that, or insulting people which some people were doing, is just wrong.

#5   Enoch 

• Disciple

Posted 07 April 2005 - 12:37 PM

Then probobly the best solution would be to PM an admin about his actions, then to embarres them on the forums. I know I did it to, but I don't plan on ever doing it again.

#6   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Moderator
              • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 07 April 2005 - 03:43 PM

Enoch, on Apr 7 2005, 11:37 AM, said:

Then probobly the best solution would be to PM an admin about his actions, then to embarres them on the forums. I know I did it to, but I don't plan on ever doing it again.

That's precisely what I said in the Report n00bs topic. I myself had reported a few... uh... n00bs via PM to Max. What's the point of putting up a topic for it? It should have been closed instanty.

#7   Neon 

• Disciple

Posted 08 April 2005 - 02:39 AM

an even beter solution is to simply tell him (just after) that we don't allow that sort of stuff in GSW. And this doesn't include demanding an appology or anything :o.

I'm surprised you all find something so trivial to be so offencive. Especially if it's a once off thing.
                I hope that if i ever say anything 'offencive' that I don't get treated the same way.

#8   Enoch 

• Disciple

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:54 AM

That's sorta what I ment. Tell a mod, then the mod will tell the member. Because it always sounds better from a person in power, rather then a person who is a member. At least I wouldn't take it as seriously.

#9   Omega 

• Berserker
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:43 AM

Isn't there a report button on GSW... if not then there should be one.

#10   Blink 

• Disciple
                      • Interests:Video games, RPGs, Flight Sims, Art, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Golden Sun...<br /><br />omg this used to be mah sig.<br />[url=http://www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/OTHER/blinkstale.jpg[/img]<br />[/url][url=http://www.get--a--life.com/POLKA/polkaindex.html]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/IMG/polkabanner8.gif[/img]<br />[/url]&lt;&lt;--Click!

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:57 AM

Honestly, let's forget about this. By the time the Beta comes out, there WILL be a reporting/mod system because of this server test's errors. It's certainly not going to happen again on GSW, because it was a real flop this time around.

#11   Angelic_Raine 

• Squire
                      • Pip
                        • Interests:I enjoy the odd RP, reading, writing, ANIME and of course Golden Sun: The Lost Age. Oh and cheerleading!! Hopefully this spring at my first tryouts at University cheerleading I'll make at least the JV team, wish me luck ^-^. I also love Angel Sanctuary, Rurouni Kenshin, Final Fantasy and The Tales Of Symphonia video game and my newest video game addiction... Baten Kaitos!! Oh and don't rub me the wrong way as I am quick to anger :P!... No really I am XD!

Posted 08 April 2005 - 05:19 PM

I think it is immature to get so offended at something as simple as swearing or being offensive that you need to make a post about it and whine. If it bothers you ignore them, the more attention that is given to them the more they do it but don't go flamming and spamming the message boards with it, like others have said, take it to an admin. I think some people need to be a little more laid back, some of you are too quick to get offended... it's just a chatroom...

#12   Nobody 

• Chaos Lord
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2005 - 05:22 PM

A_R, I agree for the most part about that. It would probably be against the rules to swear eccessively (not sure it that's spelled right). But otherwise, I 100% agree.

#13   Eothain 

• Berserker
                          • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:13 PM

Angelic_Raine, on Apr 8 2005, 06:19 PM, said:

I think it is immature to get so offended at something as simple as swearing or being offensive that you need to make a post about it and whine.  If it bothers you ignore them, the more attention that is given to them the more they do it but don't go flamming and spamming the message boards with it, like others have said, take it to an admin.  I think some people need to be a little more laid back, some of you are too quick to get offended... it's just a chatroom...

...thank you!...you saved me the job of having to type that myself

#14   Izar 

• Master Adept
                              • Interests:Gaming, History, Christian Music, Comedy

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:17 PM

Enoch, on Apr 7 2005, 06:09 AM, said:

N00b has become such a harsh word. Just because someone dousn't know any better, people jump all over their case. And then those that feel that things have changed or "things aren't the same with all these n00bs", they end up leaving. Nobody seems to understand that everyone here is around the same age and most likely the same IQ. N00bs aren't lesser life forms.

Though this topic probobly shouldn't have been posted in GSW section.

The "n00bs" or"newbs" or whatever should carefully realize exactly what they post, instead of just posting.

I think it is immature to get so offended at something as simple as swearing or being offensive that you need to make a post about it and whine.

I don't think that is a problem, or immaute, to be wary of cussing. There are many different ethnic groups, which some take cussing as offensive, such as I. I wont go flaming though, or posting about it.

#15   Neon 

• Disciple

Posted 09 April 2005 - 04:37 AM

I don't think a mod is necessary. Usually there will be a few people aorund to support you anyway. People usually get the idea when several people maturely tell them not to and then turn their backs.

Making a big deal over it just makes the person retaliate.
                                Ignoring the problem can actually make it go away :o.

#16   Eothain 

• Berserker
                                • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2005 - 03:18 PM

Neon, on Apr 9 2005, 05:37 AM, said:

Making a big deal over it just makes the person retaliate.
                                  Ignoring the problem can actually make it go away :P.

^exactly

please be more constructive with posts- Kik

#17   Angelic_Raine 

• Squire
                                  • Pip
                                    • Interests:I enjoy the odd RP, reading, writing, ANIME and of course Golden Sun: The Lost Age. Oh and cheerleading!! Hopefully this spring at my first tryouts at University cheerleading I'll make at least the JV team, wish me luck ^-^. I also love Angel Sanctuary, Rurouni Kenshin, Final Fantasy and The Tales Of Symphonia video game and my newest video game addiction... Baten Kaitos!! Oh and don't rub me the wrong way as I am quick to anger :P!... No really I am XD!

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:30 AM

Izar, on Apr 8 2005, 09:17 PM, said:

The "n00bs" or"newbs" or whatever should carefully realize exactly what they post, instead of just posting.
                                    I don't think that is a problem, or immaute, to be wary of cussing. There are many different ethnic groups, which some take cussing as offensive, such as I. I wont go flaming though, or posting about it.

Izar, I think you may have misunderstood me a bit. I don't mean that getting offended by swears or rude comments is immature, but when people make a topic about it to flame those that have on the other hand it is.

In my opinion it is quite contradictory to flame a flamer... Therefore I rule the action as immature.

#18   Enoch 

• Disciple

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:34 AM

And then there will be people that will advertantly go aggainst the rules, and thus you will need someone with the power to remove him/her. as for swearing, it offends me personaly. And I would get very annoyed if someone sweared at me or just sweared around me.
                                      There is no need for it and it is one of the less inteligent ways of speech. And thus you will need some mod to take care of it.

#19   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:04 PM

I totally agree with neon. It's a chatsite and we should treat it that way. It's supposed to be a break from the constructive writing that GSSF gives you.

#20   Nobody 

• Chaos Lord
                                        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:08 PM

I totally agree with everyone who said that "ignoring it is better than yelling and telling" (or something like that). If it's not serious, ignore it. If it's bad, act like you're ignoring it, but also report it.

#21   Eothain 

• Berserker
                                          • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 April 2005 - 04:09 PM

Nobody, on Apr 11 2005, 04:08 PM, said:

If it's bad, act like you're ignoring it, but also report it.

I completely agree with you. If you even try to tell them (them, meaning, people who stalk, swear,etc) that they're doing wrong, they'll keep doing it(which has already been mentioned). What that also does, is lead them to commit certain other violations of the code...for example...once there was this guy, "fulldark" i believe his name was annoying the snot out of everyone, we told him to stop, and then he started swearing his lungs off...so, yeah, ignoring, and then reporting, IMO, is the best thing to do...i know most of you guys have heard "don't feed the trolls"...well, that's the way it works...

#22   Neon 

• Disciple

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:16 PM

if it's bad, tell them that 'we don't allow that sort of behaviour on GSW'. If it's something small, i'm sure you can just ignore it :\.

I think it's better to sort it out with the person yourself, and only report them if it gets serious.

#23   Enoch 

• Disciple

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:33 AM

If it's bad then tell them, and also tell a mod, but ignore them, and act like your ignoring them. Ignore them, but tell them when they have done something wrong, huh? While all of you are agreeing with each other, you don't seem to be agreeing at all.

And what about those who will not listen to reason. Those that intentionaly break the rules. I feel that moderation is probobly the only way to get rid of menacing members.

#24   Neon 

• Disciple

Posted 12 April 2005 - 08:58 AM

ok, you don't understand -_-'

What i'm saying is that it's best to ignore small/one time things. If it's serious, tell them to stop. If they refuse to stop, alert a moderator (assuming GSW will have mods).
                                                  Always sort it out with the person before taking it to a mod. I don't know about you, but I would feel offended if someone chose to get me kicked off by a mod instead of simply telling me to stop (which i'd be happy to do. albeit, along with a few mutterings :P).

Really, if they don't listen to you the first time, you probably should push your case a bit more.
                                                  I guess i don't really like the idea of people running to mods when they can easily handle it themselves and save the 'offender' a lot of trouble.
                                                  And on the other hand, i don't like it when people blow small things out of proportion (especially if they refused to deal wih that small thing themselves).

I'm going around in circles here, lol.

#25   Enoch 

• Disciple

Posted 12 April 2005 - 09:07 AM

Though someone in power would hold greater effect. If I were to be corrected by someone,(like you for example) then I probobly wouldn't take it to heart. I'de think that you would be trying to be a knowitall.

#26   Neon 

• Disciple

Posted 12 April 2005 - 09:16 AM

well then after you refuse to listen to me, i'd take it to a mod and get him to drill it into you :P.

Trust me, if several people tell you to stop but don't blow it out of proportion, you usually stop but don't give too much thought to it. if a mod comes and crushes you for it, you feel insulted. And if one or more people start abusing you for it, you get angry, and start abusing them back :).
                                                      EDIT: and for those annoying people who get angry anyway, you go off and get the mod to deal with them. Clearly they aren't going to listen, so GSW is better off without them :lol:

Look, wouldn't you prefer it for me to maturely tell you to stop cause people find it offencive, instead of going straight to a mod (where you will actually be punnished) or flaming you behind your back?

#27   Enoch 

• Disciple
                                                        • Location:Never the same

Posted 12 April 2005 - 09:23 AM

Fair enough. All I know is that I probobly won't ever have to deal wit it. I'll let Neon correct the n00b. :P

#28   Neon 

• Disciple
                                                          • Joined: 28-February 04

Posted 12 April 2005 - 09:28 AM

I'l probably ignore them or just join in on the fun :).
                                                          Then jump to their defence when Blink and Omega tell them to stop, lol :P.

#29   Enoch 

• Disciple
                                                            • Joined: 26-April 04

Posted 12 April 2005 - 09:38 AM

Sounds like a plan to me! :P
                                                            Gives the kids something to do.

#30   Eothain 

• Berserker
                                                            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                              • Joined: 06-April 05

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:32 PM

Enoch, on Apr 12 2005, 10:07 AM, said:

Though someone in power would hold greater effect. If I were to be corrected by someone,(like you for example) then I probobly wouldn't take it to heart. I'de think that you would be trying to be a knowitall.

exactly, that's why many people agree that it is a great idea to have an online mod or admin in GSW

#31   Enoch 

• Disciple

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:09 AM

But seriously, who would be online, all the time? someone with absolutely no life, whatsoever.

#32   Ravenblade 

• Disciple
                                                                  • Posts: 2,489
                                                                  • Joined: 08-November 04

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:11 AM

Thats a good point, i certainly wouldnt be. Which is why you need a few people for varying time zones.

#33   Enoch 

• Disciple
                                                                    • Posts: 1,233

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:46 AM

Even a few people wouldn't be up to going on at a certain set time. I would expect that they would want to be on when they want to. I know I wouldn't want to be one of those people.

#34   Eothain 

• Berserker
                                                                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                                      • Posts: 568

Posted 15 April 2005 - 09:34 PM

well, it doesn't have to be a single person with no life... it can easily be an assigned GROUP of people, as ravenblade said, each "taking turns", or something of the sort...

#35   gsninja 

• Master Adept
                                                                        • Posts: 4,875
                                                                        • Joined: 19-August 04
                                                                        • Gender:Male
                                                                        • Location:Calabasas, California
                                                                        • Interests:Inside your pants.

Posted 15 April 2005 - 09:46 PM

Well, you certainly don't have a life if all you do is sit around the computer all day. That's why, even if I'm looged on all day, it doesn't mean I'm using the computer. I may be doing other things, like reading or something like that.

#36   Eothain 

• Berserker
                                                                        • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2005 - 07:35 AM

gsninja, on Apr 15 2005, 10:46 PM, said:

Well, you certainly don't have a life if all you do is sit around the computer all day. That's why, even if I'm looged on all day, it doesn't mean I'm using the computer. I may be doing other things, like reading or something like that.

well, if that was an answer to my previous post, then read again...

"well, it doesn't have to be a SINGLE person with no life... it can easily be an assigned GROUP of people, as ravenblade said, each "TAKING TURNS", or something of the sort..."

of course, if you sit in fron of a computer the whole day you have no life, it's NOT something i do myself either...but if it's SEVERAL people who are doing their job as modders for GSW, and only have to be on an hour to two a day, then they are more of a "responsible" group, instead of a group of people who have no life...

#37   Ravenblade 

• Disciple
                                                                            • Posts: 2,489
                                                                            • Joined: 08-November 04

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:40 AM

Yes thats right, if we can get people for various time zones then there should always be a group that would be able to be online.

This would mean a lot of moderators but even so.

#38   Neon 

• Disciple
                                                                              • Posts: 1,422
                                                                              • Location:Aussieland

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:39 PM

no, not really. You wuld need a small group of people who are able to moderate over most timezones. You wouldn't pick people who are only on for a short time.

#39   gsninja 

• Master Adept
                                                                                • Posts: 4,875
                                                                                • Joined: 19-August 04
                                                                                • Location:Calabasas, California
                                                                                • Interests:Inside your pants.

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:42 PM

Eothain, on Apr 17 2005, 08:35 AM, said:

well, if that was an answer to my previous post, then read again...

That wasn't an answer, I was just trying to point something out.

#40   Nobody 

• Chaos Lord
                                                                                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                                                  • Posts: 653
                                                                                  • Joined: 11-March 05

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:09 PM

I agree with Neon! I think that the mods shouldn"t be overly strict (that would take the fun out of GSW) or under reactive so that they dont take action

#41   Warbird 

• Squire
                                                                                  • Pip
                                                                                    • Posts: 52
                                                                                    • Joined: 05-April 05
                                                                                    • Location:Buffalo, New York

Posted 19 April 2005 - 10:22 PM

Ravenblade, on Apr 17 2005, 10:40 AM, said:

Yes thats right, if we can get people for various time zones then there should always be a group that would be able to be online.

This would mean a lot of moderators but even so.

Or you can take a survey or something to that effect about what timezone people are in, and assign 1 or 2 people from each timezone represented.

#42   Eothain 

• Berserker
                                                                                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2005 - 04:10 PM

Warbird, on Apr 19 2005, 11:22 PM, said:

Or you can take a survey or something to that effect about what timezone people are in, and assign 1 or 2 people from each timezone represented.

and along with that survey the requirements to become a GSW mod... but that's unlinkely to happen...i think max would rather pick the mods himself, in some other way...

#43   Roumaru 

• New User
                                                                                        • Posts: 18
                                                                                        • Joined: 18-April 05
                                                                                        • Location:Norway
                                                                                        • Interests:Socialization, music, bass-guitar, reading, computer-stuff and rpg-games.

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:47 AM

I just thought of something.

If there is a problem with people that go around swearing and annoying other players, then it could simply be put in a ingnore command. An ignore-command that does not make only the persons chat messages disapear, but also the sprite itself.
                                                                                        That way the person will be completely out of your sight.

Of course people can change and decide to behave better. So maybe the person could be 'un-ingored' automaticly after 24 hours or something.

(Don't know if a command such as this is possible to make in GSW though)

Edit: Ops, maybe I should have put this in the 'Warning reminder' topic. Seeing thats mainly where the discussion about certain GSW players behaviour is set.

This post has been edited by Roumaru: 22 April 2005 - 06:03 AM

#44   Eothain 

• Berserker
                                                                                        • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2005 - 05:09 PM

yeah, it's been mentioned, but it hink it'd be a rather hard task to code... if possible at all...

#45   Elliott 

• Cool
                                                                                            • Posts: 6,678
                                                                                            • Joined: 07-February 04
                                                                                            • Location:Room 101
                                                                                            • Interests:Metal, philosophy, percussion, literature, writing, theology, personal fitness, live music, tattoos.
                                                                                            • AKA Agatio

Posted 22 April 2005 - 07:00 PM

I think the timzone idea is the best.
                                                                                            Or assign shifts, where 1 person logs into GSW for a certain period of time, and has to mod it for that time.
                                                                                            Though with all the houses, that will still prove difficult.

#46   Zxor 

• Disciple
                                                                                              • Posts: 1,588
                                                                                              • Joined: 10-November 04

Posted 22 April 2005 - 07:37 PM

It would be difficult, but the people who do do n00bish stuff, will be caught, sooner or later, and, people wouldn' know who are the moderators, if there color doesn't changes, because people act different around higher positions.

#47   Eothain 

• Berserker
                                                                                              • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2005 - 10:38 AM

yeah, you make a good point...somehow, if there are online mods at all, and they are "different" than the other sprites, or "recognizable" as mods, then it's going to be a much better behaved ambiance...

#48   Neon 

• Disciple
                                                                                                  • Posts: 1,422
                                                                                                  • Location:Aussieland

Posted 23 April 2005 - 11:28 AM

That's why we have a relatively small group of active people that spans most timezones, then rely on the member kick for when nobody is around.

We cannot have enough mods to be active all the time.

#49   Elliott 

• Cool
                                                                                                    • Posts: 6,678
                                                                                                    • Joined: 07-February 04
                                                                                                    • Location:Room 101
                                                                                                    • Interests:Metal, philosophy, percussion, literature, writing, theology, personal fitness, live music, tattoos.
                                                                                                    • AKA Agatio

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:28 AM

Of course, most the mod team, and playes in general are from the northern hemisphere, only a select few GSWers come from the south (Me, Neon, MR off the top of my head).

#50   Jai 

• Knight
                                                                                                    • PipPip
                                                                                                      • Posts: 83
                                                                                                      • Joined: 05-April 05
                                                                                                      • Location:Need to know basis only
                                                                                                      • Interests:E mail me and I'll telll you (if your a female) Im also African American

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:11 PM

Nobody, on Apr 18 2005, 10:09 PM, said:

I agree with Neon! I think that the mods shouldn"t be overly strict (that would take the fun out of GSW) or under reactive so that they dont take action

Finally someone I can relate to about this topic 100pts to Nobody :)

Page 1 of 1
                                                                                                      • You cannot start a new topic
                                                                                                      • You cannot reply to this topic