Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Red Steel exclusively Nintendo Revolution

#1   Blink 

• Disciple
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Interests:Video games, RPGs, Flight Sims, Art, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Golden Sun...<br /><br />omg this used to be mah sig.<br />[url=http://www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/OTHER/blinkstale.jpg[/img]<br />[/url][url=http://www.get--a--life.com/POLKA/polkaindex.html]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/IMG/polkabanner8.gif[/img]<br />[/url]&lt;&lt;--Click!

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:01 PM

A first person shooter exclusive for the Revolution by Ubisoft, Red Steel practically confirms( through its title) that the Nintendo Revolution will be named the Nintendo RS( much like Dawn of Sorrows or Dual Strike). As for the gameplay, you can actually tilt and twist your gun/sword any way you can the controller, that's right, your primary weapon is actually a specific sword. Kickass.

For the gun(s), you can tilt it back suddenly to reload, and tilt either sword or gun forwards towards a wall or overturned table to take cover. It's extremely intuitive, and after a little bit of gameplay, you can play at the level of keyboard and mouse's instantaniousness.

Online and local play are both free, no confirmation on number of players, but there are a "variety of guns" along with your sword. You can also choose to merely disarm opponents instead of killing them, which can prove to be an advantage since they're such brainless brutes that they're willing to help you out. If you can take down a head figure, but keep him alive, you can force him to make all his men surrender, and to get the most powerful weapon he has.

The storyline isn't set from the sounds of it, as in, you don't know what's coming, and it could change midgame. Your fiance is kidnapped by a big kahuna( her dad was in the mafia or something), the kahuna tries to steal your fiance's father's sword, but when unsuccessful, he kidnaps your fiance, and offers to trade. Since it would throw him into a position of great power( this is the only choice the game makes for you) you decide to use the weapon to take him out and get your fiance back instead of trading it. Crazy good. And Nintendo is deeply rooted in the project, they want it to be a launch title, but they don't want their "image" to show that kind of game, plus they don't have FPS experience, so it's Ubisoft's to keep, with Nintendo doing half the work.

To top it all off, the graphics look incredible. Remember guys, this is Ubisoft: Prince of Persia, Ghost Recon, Far Cry Instincts, and Splinter Cell, they know what they're doing when it comes to action games. This game will be awesome, just awesome. I refuse by all means to post any scans, because it's worth the money to go out and buy Game Informer, or to wait until April 20th when it's all posted on their website. I will however, show you what they've shown everyone, and even it looks good...

http://gameinformer.com/NR/rdonlyres/9FAD79D7-0F73-46E1-A54C-5FD4B13FD943/8998/coverforstory.jpg

#2   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Veterans

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:04 PM

That does look good!

Hopefully this will be a good game because Nintendo's long overdue for a solid first-person shooter.

#3   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
        • Group: Admin

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:20 PM

I was just about to post this out myself. Good call, Blink.

The capabilities for the free-hand controller are just phenomenal, and Red Steel is the perfect display. Utilizing it as guns and knives, with far greater control than before...

Nintendo has done well to usher in this exclusive from Ubisoft. This is the potential of the Revolution realized. I can't wait for other projects for the system!

On a side note, the Nintendo RS? Perhaps... but it somehow seems unlikely.

#4   Blink 

• Disciple
          • Interests:Video games, RPGs, Flight Sims, Art, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Golden Sun...<br /><br />omg this used to be mah sig.<br />[url=http://www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/OTHER/blinkstale.jpg[/img]<br />[/url][url=http://www.get--a--life.com/POLKA/polkaindex.html]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/IMG/polkabanner8.gif[/img]<br />[/url]&lt;&lt;--Click!

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:29 PM

Almost forgot, a link to the official article I did on NESsense( which I basically posted on here in full form), can be found here.

#5   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
            • Group: Moderator
            • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:47 PM

I have screens. :P

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/07/red-stee...reens-revealed/

This post has been edited by Wind Dude: 07 April 2006 - 10:17 PM

#6   Lemontime 

• Disciple
              • AKA sibsag, Lemontime

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:13 PM

I find it hard to see how you can base the title of one game towards the title of the entire system. Infact, I highly doubt they would even call it that, mainly because that sounds like a REALLY crappy name for a console..

#7   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:18 PM

Fixed the broken link.

Nintendo spoke of a new "Nintendo-exclusive" game (like Zelda and Mario exclusive) that was going to be more mature than the others. Is this it?

#8   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                  • AKA Me111

Posted 08 April 2006 - 01:22 AM

Well it looks interesting. I'm just glad they've finally shown some screenshots.

#9   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                    • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:18 AM

I just read about this on the net like 10 minutes ago. As Golden Legacy says, good call Blink.

Anyway, looks good. I too am really glad to see some real screens of the Rev and a "mature" game for a Nintendo console. :P

But... Why would the Rev be called Nintendo RS? What does the RS stand for?

#10   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                      • AKA Me111

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:00 AM

RS stands for Red Steel, the name of the game. It's very unlikely though.

#11   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                        • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:15 AM

RS stands for Red Steel, the name of the game. It's very unlikely though.

Oh... I don't see why a console would be named after one game. And if it WAS named after a game that game would be Mario or Zelda. Not some third-party game.

#12   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                          • AKA Me111

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:20 AM

I think that's why he said it was unlikely Aqua.
                          I hope this means that some other games get shown off soon. E3 isn't too far away...

#13   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                            • Location:Sitting on a fence and drinking root beer
                            • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:34 AM

I think Blink made a typo or a brain fart when he typed that.

EDIT: Huh... I Googled "Nintendo RS" and I found this, some might find it interesting:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3...8813&q=nintendo

It looks a bit too much like the PSP's menu; I think it's fake. Cool, though.

This post has been edited by Wind Dude: 08 April 2006 - 09:37 AM

#14   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:45 AM

Probably fake. At the very least, we'll find out at E3, which is just a month away.

Now, let's get back to Red Steel, shall we?

#15   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                • AKA Me111

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:59 AM

I hope this game ends up being successful. Apart from Metroid Prime, and some not quite-as-good shooters, there aren't many games like this for Nintendo. Hopefully this will change the tide.

#16   Blink 

• Disciple

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:06 AM

...*facepalm*

"I refuse by all means to post any scans, because it's worth the money to go out and buy Game Informer, or to wait until April 20th when it's all posted on their website."

If you guys would just read... :P

Also, "Red Steel practically confirms( through its title) that the Nintendo Revolution will be named the Nintendo RS( much like Dawn of Sorrows or Dual Strike)"

Since none of you seem to understand what I said, Nintendo DS has led to many titles having names that use the letters D and S for their acronyms, like Advance Wars: Dual Strike(AW:DS) or Castlevania:Dawn of Sorrows(C:DS) or Resident Evil: Deadly Silence(RE:DS). As you can see, it clearly shows what console it's for. I think that Ubisoft already knows that it's going to be called the Nintendo RS, and so they're naming their game after that, just like everyone else did for the DS, with an acronym that has the system's name in it. Does that make sense?

#17   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                    • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:20 AM

Well I don't refuse Blink, the people deserve to know! :P *chaotic*

I don't think it would be named RS, what would the RS stand for? The Nintendo DS already had the name going for it with Dual Screens.

#18   Blink 

• Disciple

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:26 AM

And game informer deserves the $6.

Anyways, what else would RS stand for other than Revolution System? DS originally stood for Developer's System, but the people kept confusing it with Dual Screens, until Nintendo officially revealed the name. And then I'm not sure which was chosen as the finalized name, but it was one of those two.

#19   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                        • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:35 AM

Nintendo Revolution System, huh? I actually like it better than the name Nintendo Revolution. It feels a bit more complete. (plus the letters NRS look better than the letters NR)

#20   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.

Posted 08 April 2006 - 12:37 PM

Hmm... now that, I can actually see happening. NRS... Nintendo Revolution System, or even perhaps, Nintendo Revolution Entertainment System (just like the NES and SNES, no?)

The question is then raised, however, that why would Ubisoft know about this before E3, which is typically when Nintendo reveals these things?

#21   Lemontime 

• Disciple
                                            • AKA sibsag, Lemontime

Posted 08 April 2006 - 01:45 PM

View PostBlink, on Apr 8 2006, 11:06 AM, said:

Since none of you seem to understand what I said, Nintendo DS has led to many titles having names that use the letters D and S for their acronyms, like Advance Wars: Dual Strike(AW:DS) or Castlevania:Dawn of Sorrows(C:DS) or Resident Evil: Deadly Silence(RE:DS). As you can see, it clearly shows what console it's for. I think that Ubisoft already knows that it's going to be called the Nintendo RS, and so they're naming their game after that, just like everyone else did for the DS, with an acronym that has the system's name in it. Does that make sense?

Just an idea, but all those mentioned titles have DS as a.. Sub-title.. They all come AFTER the :, the 'DS' is never in the main title, The said game of this topic has Red Steel as it's title.. That's it, no :'s or anything.
                                            Well. That's my idea.. ;D

#22   Blink 

• Disciple

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:03 PM

Golden Legacy, if you'll notice, I say that Nintendo was deeply rooted in this project from the begining. They're probably the first third party to know any and everything about the Revolution.

#23   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:48 PM

sibsaq has a good point though.

#24   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                                                  • Location:New York City, Boston

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:14 PM

A fair point, yes. My apologies for not acknowledging that.

It's important that Nintendo is assisting other companies in producing games for the Revolution, which will inevitably result in very well designed projects, rather than just ports from other systems. Also interesting is that Nintendo would choose a third-party game to demonstrate the first concrete example of the Revolution's potential. Nintendo understands how significant third-party support is, and this is a very promising sign.

#25   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                    • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:19 PM

Quite right. If Nintendo continues to be interested in third-party projects such as this, it could encourage other third-party companies to look into producing exclusive Rev games.

#26   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                                                      • Location:The toaster in your kitchen.
                                                      • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                                                      • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:41 PM

View PostGolden Legacy, on Apr 8 2006, 07:14 PM, said:

Also interesting is that Nintendo would choose a third-party game to demonstrate the first concrete example of the Revolution's potential.

My guess is that Nintendo wanted to have at least one FPS in their opening linup since they're so popular nowadays. And since Nintendo hasn't had very much success in that section, they decided to turn to a well known 3rd Party company. It's just an assumption, but I think that that's why Nintendo did that.

I found a link to a video off of a previous link http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=27...intendo&pl=true Pay close attention to the end. Pause if possible. It shows examples of how the port at the bottom of the Rev controller can be used for so much more than a nun-chuck. There are different guns, and Steering wheels, and who knows what that could be plugged into this thing!! I like the guns myself :P

#27   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                                                        • Joined: 12-September 05
                                                        • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:04 AM

I found a link to a video off of a previous link http://video.google....intendo&pl=true Pay close attention to the end. Pause if possible. It shows examples of how the port at the bottom of the Rev controller can be used for so much more than a nun-chuck. There are different guns, and Steering wheels, and who knows what that could be plugged into this thing!! I like the guns myself

Yeah, Nintendo said that they'll be making a lot of other adds for the controler.

Anyway, it may just be possible that Nintendo gave ALL the information on the Rev to big third party companys, so that they could use it's full potential and get the games out as soon as they can.

#28   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James
                                                          • Joined: 04-October 04
                                                          • Location:Winnipeg, MB

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:37 PM

The video is probably fake. Made by someone with good guessing ability.

As for the third parties, I will be glad to see other companies jumping onto the Nintendo ship. I'm sick and tired of having to settle for EA titles, while PS2 and XBox owners are playing much better third party games. I'm not saying that the GC was a bad system, just saying that Nintendo may make good games, but they can't hold up a system on their own.

sibsaq's point is well taken as well. Perhaps this game will be called Red Steel RS if the system was called RS. Or perhaps the DS was a special case because continuing franchises were adding the subtitle DS.
                                                          ex. Mario Kart DS
                                                          Red Steel, being a completely new game, may not use this subtitle.

#29   Toasty 

• Joined: 04-April 06

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:41 PM

I dunno. The guns & steering wheel seem to authentic, the design was just like what I woulda thought for something like that, and frankly, why not have a gun hookup for the controller? It would be perfect for FPS's like, for example, Red Steel. Nintendo said that they were going to make more add-ons for the controller besides the 'nun-chuck'. A gun or steering wheel would be perfect.

#30   Blink 

• Disciple
                                                              • Joined: 23-January 05

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:26 PM

That video is ALL unnofficial, it's fanmade, and none of those peripherals are real.

#31   Toasty 

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:29 PM

What? The pictures? Well, the clip of the rev controller coming out of the liquid is authentic. I know that much at least. I've seen it before. It's official. But the guns and wheel, they may be fake, but you can't ever tell with ABSOLUTE certainty. Though I still wouldn't be surprised if they were real.

#32   Blink 

• Disciple
                                                                  • Posts: 1,087

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:26 PM

I would. lol not spam ne more lol!

#33   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James
                                                                    • Posts: 10,366
                                                                    • Gender:Male

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:41 PM

The font that says Nintendo RS is totally fake. I'd be disappointed if this was the starting screen for the Revolution, frankly.

#34   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 13 May 2006 - 08:30 AM

[BUMP]

I must admit, after E3, not Twilight Princess, not Mario Galaxy, not MP3 is my most anticipated title, but Red Steel is. The presentation and gameplay look marvellous and the controls are going to be amazing. I just can't wait now for this game to be released.

#35   Blink 

• Disciple

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:01 PM

Wrong. Overly sensetive and cruddy combo controls for sword. Ubisoft needs to get working!

#36   Toasty 

• Posts: 12,421

Posted 13 May 2006 - 06:04 PM

Oh, and blink, remember the little movie I posted? Yeah, the gun at the end WAS real. :P I told you so.

#37   Blink 

• Disciple

Posted 13 May 2006 - 11:34 PM

It wasn't, actually. The gun at the end of that video was a fan concept, or rather, a fan at a news site, IGN. They said "this is what we'd want to see" and amazingly enough, Nintendo made one.

So thar, I'm still right, lil intarweb Ninty newbie. :P

#38   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:49 AM

I'm expecting this game to be the second-top selling launch title behind TP, it is the one launch title directed at an older market.

#39   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                                                • Posts: 9,159
                                                                                • Joined: 06-April 05
                                                                                • AKA Me111

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:04 AM

There's that, and it was one of the first games to be named for the Wii.

#40   Toasty 

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:09 PM

And because of that, I'm surprised that they havn't released as much info as SSBB or any other Wii games.

#41   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                                                                                    • Posts: 4,671
                                                                                    • Location:...
                                                                                    • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:20 AM

I hope this game will be a launch title. I think they said it will, but who knows... If it was released on the Wii launch it would help show mature gamers that there are some games for them and it would also help the overall image of the console. Am I right or am I right?

#42   Toasty 

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:15 PM

The definate launch titles are found here. They could be added too within the next few months, it's very likely that it will happen. But then again, it's also possible that it won't be.

#43   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                                                        • AKA Me111

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:37 AM

I'm sure the list will get larger. Having a game released as a launch title will always mean good sales.

#44   Toasty 

Posted 20 May 2006 - 06:15 PM

Yeah. But they also have to be careful of which titles they will put at launch. Disregarding the quality if SSBB was released on launch, even though it is a great franchise, it won't sell as much, 'cause people are thinking "OMG! THE Wii IS COMING OUT TODAY!!" instead of "OMG!! SSBB IS COMING OUT TODAY!!" You see, if SSBB is released seperate from the Wii and other games, the focus is more on it, so it is more noticed. But some launch titles would do better to be sold at launch like MP3: Corruption, since it isn't as big a franchise as SSBB. Don't get me wrong, the Metroid series is a very large franchise, but SSB is a much larger franchise than any other Ninty game. Basically, the larger the franchise, the more seperated it should be, because the more attention it will get.

#45   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                                                            • AKA Me111

Posted 20 May 2006 - 10:53 PM

I see what you mean. Basically, leave the larger franchises until afterwards, so people are more excited for when they come out.

#46   Toasty 

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:04 PM

Exactly. You could also do this with smaller franchises, but since not many people would know what it was, it would be better to launch it with the next gen consol since people would mostlikely think "Well, it was at launch, so it must be good". Though there are certain rules to go by, there could be a smaller franchise that would be launched later and seperate, but if it is a kind of game that a majority of people would be interested in, then it is likely to sell well.

#47   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                • Posts: 4,671
                                                                                                • Location:...
                                                                                                • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 21 May 2006 - 03:44 AM

Toasty, I think you're too much of an SSB fanatic. How can you even say SSB is a more important franchise than Zelda and Mario!?!? It ISN'T and it can't be!! I mean, Melee may actually be THE best and most fun game I've ever played, and I love the franchise a lot, but both Zelda and Mario(maybe even Metroid) are bigger franchises.

#48   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 21 May 2006 - 10:23 AM

I think Metroid is getting lost in the shuffle. Metroid will be an amazing game, and so will all the other franchises.

The big question is, will third parties be able to make great games as well? (Red Steel, Rayman, etc.)

#49   Golden Sun Master 

• Knight
                                                                                                  • PipPip
                                                                                                    • Posts: 141
                                                                                                    • Joined: 05-May 06
                                                                                                    • Location:MI
                                                                                                    • Interests:Guitar, Golden Sun

Posted 21 May 2006 - 12:04 PM

Maybe we should stick to only talking about Red Steel guys... I mean, this is the topic for it after all. :D

Anyway, I think that I will buy this game just so I can try out the sweet looking sword fighting. Adam Sessler tried it out, and it looked fluid and really fun. I hope it's as good as it looks.

#50   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 21 May 2006 - 01:55 PM

Of course, Sessler looked like an idiot doing it. Like Blink said, the controls could use some finishing, but it has a lot of potential.

#51   Toasty 

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:26 PM

I'd most likely get this game for the same reason as GSM. And Aqua, I was mearly giving examples of how the system works. Mario is by far the biggest franchise, but all I said was that SSB was bigger than Metroid. But Nintendo could also launch their biggest franchises with the consol to get more people into it. There are almost limitless possibilties for marketing techniques. You just have to know which ones to use. If your system doesn't go over very well with people, put bigger franchises wiht it at launch to help it out. If your system is doing great, add smaller franchises to get people interested in it, but still keep a few larger ones to kepp everybody interested in buying your system.

Page 1 of 1
                                                                                                        • You cannot start a new topic
                                                                                                        • You cannot reply to this topic