• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ramping Up

#1   Max 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:41 PM

After a few months off due to school work, I'm happy to announce that work on GSW will be ramping up again. I've done alot of planning and practice, and this new version should be great. I'm hoping it will take about 3-4 weeks, but that could be optimistic.

However, I won't be keeping you guys in the dark concerning the development process as we have in the past. I am going to try my best to run an "almost daily" development blog, recording the process and posting images/video so you all can see how exactly such a game is made. This page will remain solely news-related, and I will add another page for this development blog.

Switching focus a bit, some users asked me to post the results of the user survey, so here are some of the breakdowns (I rounded all the percentages, so they don't add up to 100%. I also left out the computer specs, as they were wildly erratic and probably inaccurate. I will have a better solution for that soon):

Responses: 204
    Average Age: 15
    • Female - 11%
    • USA - 49%
    • Canada - 13%
    • UK - 8%
    • Other - 30%
    Primary Language:
    • English - 86%
    • Dutch - 4%
    • Spanish - 2%
    • Other - 8%
    Internet Speed:
    • Cable/DSL - 80%
    • Dial-up - 7.5%
    • T1 and above - 4%
    • Other - 8%
    Operating System:
    • Windows - 90%
    • Mac - 5%
    • Other (non-Linux) - 3.5%

There you go, that covers pretty much everything. If you have any questions, please just post in the comments. And please stay tuned for more news in the coming days.

#2   Mars Djinni 

• Master Adept
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Members
      • Interests:Martial Arts:<br />- Weapons (Bo staff :D)<br />- Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino styles<br /><br />Video Games: <br />Fire Emblem, Zelda, Megaman, Super Smash Bros., Age of Empires/Mythology, Final Fantasy, etc.<br /><br />Movies, Web Design, Foruming-ing-ing, Sprites and Digital Art, Drawing, Writing, Anime, etc.

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:03 PM

That blog sounds interesting. Now it feels like Super Smash Bros. Brawl's production blog. Professional indeed. Can't wait to see how this really works.

#3   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
        • Group: Veterans
        • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:09 PM

We wait with baited breath, as is our way...

#4   Blink 

• Disciple
          • Interests:Video games, RPGs, Flight Sims, Art, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Golden Sun...<br /><br />omg this used to be mah sig.<br />[url=http://www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/OTHER/blinkstale.jpg[/img]<br />[/url][url=http://www.get--a--life.com/POLKA/polkaindex.html]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/IMG/polkabanner8.gif[/img]<br />[/url]&lt;&lt;--Click!

Posted 25 June 2006 - 11:03 PM

Wouldn't it be interesting if Camelot went the way of Rareware with Goldeneye, and released the source code?

EDIT: ...and this relates because I was thinking about how much it would help Max progress with recreating the collision engine for GSW. xD

Sorry, kind of left that half of the post out. Anyways, can't wait!

#5   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
            • Interests:.5% per annum.
            • AKA Spam King

Posted 26 June 2006 - 01:52 AM

I don't get some of the catagories. Age? Gender? Country? Language? You know we're all teenagers, you know we all speak English, and gender and country don't really matter at all.

#6   Max 

• Administrator
              • Group: Admin

Posted 26 June 2006 - 05:24 AM

Actually Split, it does matter. Age matters because of things like COPPA, and it means I have to implement word filters and content filters. Country is important because it determines how much lag there will be for those users, and combined with language, tells me if I should make sure that we can make localized versions as well (GSW in another language).

The whole point of the survey was so that I could identify who exactly the target audience was, so that I can tailor it to their needs. So it's always best to get as much information as possible.

#7   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 26 June 2006 - 05:37 AM

This is great, I've been waiting for this kind of news post for a long time. Keep it up Max!

Also, I said in the user survey that I've got dial-up internet speed, but I'll be getting DSL in a few weeks(maybe a month).

#8   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                  • Interests:.5% per annum.
                  • AKA Spam King

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:14 AM

Anyway, this blog sounds like a great idea. It should really help to keep the spirit of GSW alive.

#9   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:07 AM

The blog is indeed a great idea, and the results of the user survey are helpful but not surprising. I might have expected more females though.

#10   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
                      • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:56 AM

Yay, lots of updates coming soon!

#11   Neon 

• Disciple

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:31 AM

It's nice to see some serious news Max, I just hope you live up to your promises this time :(.
                        The blog should be interesting, but i forsee it slipping down the list of Max's to-do list along with GSW when he gets swamped in more urgent things.

I think life should just stop and let us persue our hobbies for a while =\.

Page 1 of 1
                        • You cannot start a new topic
                        • You cannot reply to this topic