Golden Sun Syndicate Forums: Golden Sun Syndicate Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Meaning Of Battle Punctuation Stuff you notice when you've played too long...

#1   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 04 July 2006 - 04:02 PM

Has anyone else noticed that the battle caption punctuation differs occasionally? Well I did. And I've figured out what it means. If you use an attack that's the same element as your enemy's base element, there's a period after the word "damage". If you use an element that's aligned or indifferent to your enemy's base, there's one exclamation point. If you use the element opposite your enemy's base, there's three exclamation points.
    I know what you're thinking. "Platinum, stop wasting our time with useless crap." (People seem to think that a lot around here for some reason... :P ) But this is actually more useful than it appears.
    The punctuation tells you what kind of elemental modifier your attack had. A period is a disadvantage, ! is normal, and !!! is an advantage. (Analagous to Pokemon's "It's super effective!" only more subtle.) You can use this to determine what element your enemy is, and from that, what will be most effective against him. (This happens in GS1 as well, but I put it in this forum because it's more useful in TLA)
    Well that was fun.
    Feel free to ask questions or ridicule me at your leisure.

#2   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Interests:.5% per annum.
      • AKA Spam King

Posted 04 July 2006 - 04:12 PM

So that's what it means! Thank you Platinum, you have given me a meaning in life. :P

Although I'm pretty sure that I've seen messages with two exclamation marks.

#3   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
        • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 04 July 2006 - 05:22 PM

I've never seen two exclamation marks. And believe me, I've been watching.

#4   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
          • Interests:.5% per annum.
          • AKA Spam King

Posted 04 July 2006 - 06:49 PM

I always thought it had to do with the raw amount of damage that was received.

~ 991 ~

#5   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple

Posted 04 July 2006 - 06:54 PM

Personally I thought it was a formatting error. Like the guy that writes the battle captions got tired of typing so many exclamation points.
            I'm still waiting to see "Sentinel takes 835 damage !!1!!!!111!"
            Well I can dream can't I?

#6   FusionDragon28 

• Gallant
            • PipPipPip
              • Group: Members
              • Interests:Anime, Manga, Video Games, Cosplay, Conventions

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:33 AM

I always wondered what was up with that. I just assumed no one thought of hiting F7 during programming. >_<

FD28

#7   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:49 AM

Well, that certainly is interesting. I'll have to check it out next time I get on my GBA.

#8   Kaj 

• Knight
                • PipPip

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:25 AM

Yeah, I've noticed that ages ago. Golden Sun monsters have elemental powers too. It is, indeed, comparable to Pokémon: ''It's super effective!'' and that kind of stuff. With this method, you can find out which person will have advantage on which monster. Helpful indeed.

#9   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:02 AM

And not just for figuring out the element of monsters. If you already know the element of a monster, you can use the punctuation of attacks on that monster to determine the element of a weapon whose element is not obvious. I/e Tsiphone edge, Masamune, Wicked Mace etc.

#10   gsninja 

• Master Adept
                      • Group: Moderator
                      • Interests:Inside your pants.

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:45 PM

Huh. I first thought it had to do with the amount of damage, like Split said. But then I noticed that I would do 700 damage with Geode and get a period, and do 300 damage with Vengeance and get three exclamation marks.

Still that a very handy tip there. I'll try to input it into my strategies. n.n

#11   Mars Djinni 

• Master Adept
                        • Interests:Martial Arts:<br />- Weapons (Bo staff :D)<br />- Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino styles<br /><br />Video Games: <br />Fire Emblem, Zelda, Megaman, Super Smash Bros., Age of Empires/Mythology, Final Fantasy, etc.<br /><br />Movies, Web Design, Foruming-ing-ing, Sprites and Digital Art, Drawing, Writing, Anime, etc.

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:07 PM

Kaj is right. It's a subtle way to show the effectiveness. I've experimented using RNG, just so I got it right. It's got nothing to do with the amount of damage done.

Example. Let's use Fire and Water.

"Monster takes x damage." shows inaffectiveness. Fire attacking Water.

"Monster takes x damage!" shows neutral affectiveness. Water attacking Water.

"Monster takes x damage!!!" shows total affectiveness. Water attacking Fire.

#12   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                          • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 07 July 2006 - 06:14 AM

Yeah, I knew this already. I noticed it near the beggining of the first GS and understood quite quickly what it meant. I think it's a good idea of Camelot.

#13   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:58 AM

View PostMars Djinni, on Jul 6 2006, 11:07 PM, said:

Kaj is right. It's a subtle way to show the effectiveness. I've experimented using RNG, just so I got it right. It's got nothing to do with the amount of damage done.

Example. Let's use Fire and Water.

"Monster takes x damage." shows inaffectiveness. Fire attacking Water.

"Monster takes x damage!" shows neutral affectiveness. Water attacking Water.

"Monster takes x damage!!!" shows total affectiveness. Water attacking Fire.

That's not quite accurate MD.

Ineffectiveness is when you attack a monster with its own element. Character resistances prove this, they always have giant resistance to their own element and a period is used when they are attacked with it. Also, characters have no pronounced elemental weaknesses. Jenna for instance, has no special weakness to Water, her Water resistance is approximately equal to her Wind and Earth resistances. And Piers has no overt strength against Fire. His fire resistance is approximatley equal to his Wind and Earth resistances.
                            And the elemental relationship goes both ways. Fire attacking water gets an advantage, and water attacking fire gets and advantage.

So it looks more like this:

"Monster takes x damage." shows reduced affectiveness. Fire attacking Fire.

"Monster takes x damage!" shows full affectiveness. Fire attacking Earth or Wind.

"Monster takes x damage!!!" shows enhanced affectiveness. Fire attacking Water.

It works that way for all four elements. I have to go now, but I'll work on constructing a relationship chart.

Edit: Here's my version of the Elemental relationship chart.

Re-edit: I can't attach Excel files. Crap.

This post has been edited by Platinum Sun: 07 July 2006 - 11:52 AM

#14   Bexie 

• Gallant
                            • PipPipPip
                              • Interests:... Stuff?

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:07 PM

I never noticed any of that.

I'm the kind of person who just mashes the buttons without really looking. xD I choose all my attacks and shiz, then its mashmashmashmashmash.

Either that or I'm just looking at the pretty graphics for the summons. xD o.O;;
                              I'm weird.

Page 1 of 1
                              • You cannot start a new topic
                              • You cannot reply to this topic