• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rumor: Next PSP?

#1   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 19 August 2006 - 02:45 PM

RUMOR: PlayStation Magazine has reported a number of unconfirmed news about the new model of PSP:

* Samsung has signed a contract with Sony to supply a huge quantity of 8GB Flash storage chips, which will be incorporated into the new PSP
    * The 8GB storage plays a key role in downloading contents on PSP, via online or PS3
    * The new PSP will have a built-in camera which should have same functions as the EyeToy
    * Production costs of the new PSP will be lower than the current mode, because it will be slimmer and easier to produce
    * A new configuration for the UMD slot, the game will be inserted directly into the system
    * The new version of PSP is expected to launch in spring 2007

Taken from: The Magic Box

#2   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Members
      • Interests:Go Away...

Posted 19 August 2006 - 02:52 PM

I've heard about this a couple months back. The it was all just speculation and none true due to sony announcing it's upcoming ideas for the psp. Though about 3-5 years from now they may make a new psp. Also, there is another rumor about a newer model of the psp (to go up against the ds lite) although, i don't believe that was true either.

#3   Lemontime 

• Disciple
        • Group: Veterans
        • AKA sibsag, Lemontime

Posted 19 August 2006 - 03:20 PM

They can try.
        But they'll fail again.
        The Wii will take over the world, trust me..

#4   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
          • AKA Me111

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:36 AM

View PostGolden Legacy, on Aug 19 2006, 09:45 PM, said:

* The new version of PSP is expected to launch in spring 2007

Taken from: The Magic Box

I would have thought that's a bit early. It wasn't too long ago since the first one was released (was it about two years ago?). Then again, deadlines for games usually change. Just look at Twilight Princess or Wario Ware: Twisted in Europe, which has been delayed until hell freezes over. :)

#5   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
            • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 20 August 2006 - 06:22 AM

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised, and I don't think it's too early. It wasn't too early for the DS Lite, why would it be for a new version of PSP?

#6   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
              • Group: Admin

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:57 AM

This doesn't seem to be a "next-generation" PSP. It will presumably play the same games, and have the same hardware (i.e. similar to a PS2), only it will receive a design facelift, and have embedded memory (8gb) as opposed to buying those expensive memory cards.

Like Aquamarine said, it's more what the DS Lite was to the original DS.

#7   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                • AKA Me111

Posted 20 August 2006 - 10:13 AM

Oh, I hadn't released that. I thought you meant the next generation for PSP, rather than an upgrade like the Lite. The date would make sense then. :)

#8   Blink 

• Disciple
                  • Group: Members
                  • Interests:Video games, RPGs, Flight Sims, Art, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Golden Sun...<br /><br />omg this used to be mah sig.<br />[url=http://www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/OTHER/blinkstale.jpg[/img]<br />[/url][url=http://www.get--a--life.com/POLKA/polkaindex.html]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/IMG/polkabanner8.gif[/img]<br />[/url]&lt;&lt;--Click!

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:42 PM

It's not much different from the Dualanaloug upgrade to the PS1. It will render the older version useless for future games( ie. if PSP1.1 has a built in camera, all camera games will be unplayable on PSP1.0) and other than that, it'll just be smaller and come with memory already installed.

Only here, it's not $30 to replace/upgrade a controller, it's $200 to upgrade the console itself. That's a pricey upgrade to just get it slimmer and have a few games.

I honestly wouldn't mind if they improved all the design flaws as well( make a better analoug stick replacement than the slider), and if they're going to make camera only games, why not throw in a second analoug stick replacement as well. Then you'll have better controls in games like Socom and Coded arms.

#9   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                    • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 26 August 2006 - 11:26 PM

The PSP is about dead, so I think an update is coming sometime, but they should focus more on software rather than hardware now for PSP momentum to continue.

Page 1 of 1
                    • You cannot start a new topic
                    • You cannot reply to this topic