Instant Hard Drive Upgrade?

#1   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • Interests:.5% per annum.
    • AKA Spam King

Posted 02 September 2006 - 06:41 AM

Would it be possible to use a USB mass storage device, or pendrive, to act as a removable extension to your hard drive? You could install your files directly to the pendrive, then insert it whenever you want to open the program. Would this work?

#2   Max 

• Administrator
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:05 AM

A USB drive (hard drive or flash/pen drive) would appear as a separate drive to Windows (using the next available letter designation). So you could put whatever you want on it and then just plug it in before you want to run files that are on it.

#3   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
        • AKA Spam King

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:07 AM

So, if I had an extremely limited hard drive, all I have to do is buy a few gigabyte pendrive and hey presto?

#4   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
          • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:47 AM

In theory...

You'd have to make sure you have a really fast USB connection though, and "A couple gigabyte pendrive" Would probably be quite expensive. I have a 256 MB flash drive, and it was about 35 bucks. To get a gig out of a pendrive might run you up into the price range of a real hard drive upgrade.

#5   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
            • AKA Spam King

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:54 AM

But think of the convenience! You could run any program on any compatible computer, without the hassle of installation. Just plug and play!

#6   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
              • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:34 AM

Stop right there! I've done this with my little pendrive and know from experience that you will still have to install the programs. Just because the computer has easy acess to the data dosn't mean it will know what to do with it. It's not different than if you had loaded the program from a disc or the internet. You still have to install the programs in order to run them. Flash drives are great for ferrying files and programs quickly between unnetworked computers, but installation is till necessary.

#7   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                • AKA Spam King

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:37 AM

Alas. I eagerly await the day they invent portable hard drives.

#8   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:38 AM

Don't hold your breath. (On second thought, yeah do it! I want to see you turn blue.) Even if we do get removable hard drives installation will still be necessary. It will take a quantum leap to get around that.-

#9   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                    • AKA Spam King

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:45 AM

Well, they are designing quantum computers...they'll be fast as the devil's ferarri, I tell you.

#10   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:22 PM

There are hundreds of portable hard drives, they are called USB or Fireware external hard drives. The limitation that is being discussed here is that many programs require entries in the Windows registry file to function properly, which means you have to run the install file. However, at sites like portableapps.com, you can find many popular, open-source apps converted to run on pen drives or external hard drives.

#11   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                        • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                        • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 09 September 2006 - 03:14 PM

I've been wondering about this as well. But PS, I found a good quality 512MB Flashdrive at a Fred Myer in Portland Oregon for $25. I didn't get it though. I didn't have money on me, and my mom wouldn't let me borrow any. And Split, yes, they are working on Quantum computers. They have to do with teleporting data using protons or something, but the protons disintaegrate when they hit any surface. It'll be quite a long while before we have light speed computers that run off of 100Thz proscessors.

#12   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:05 PM

Actually, the Law of Conservation of Matter prohibits protons from "disintaegrating", and feasable quantum computers are more likely to work by expending the time needed for their calculations in parallel universes, thereby making it appear to observers in our universe that the calculations took no time at all.

#13   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                            • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:21 PM

Why can't we be all like Max? Nice, short and wonderful posts without the smartaleckish taste... I actually learnt something from it... Ahh...

Anyway, I always wondered about that since I always wanted to run programs on my school computer but never really tried it since I hate breaking rules, I let the other students do it for me ;).

~ This post contributed nothing - Eugine ~

#14   Toasty 

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:37 PM

View PostPlatinum Sun, on Sep 9 2006, 07:05 PM, said:

Actually, the Law of Conservation of Matter prohibits protons from "disintaegrating", and feasable quantum computers are more likely to work by expending the time needed for their calculations in parallel universes, thereby making it appear to observers in our universe that the calculations took no time at all.

I said I wasn't sure if it was a proton or not, but it was something of similar size or whatnot (i.e. electrons, nuetrons, etc.) Basically, they put information in binary code on something like that, and it travels instantly to it's designated target. The problem is, the molecule or whatever, disintigrates on contact with any surface they've tried so far. They can transport data, but unfortunately for us lazy people, there's no possibility of teleporting people.

And how do the know if there is even "parallel universes"?

#15   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:29 PM

View PostMr.T, on Sep 9 2006, 11:37 PM, said:

I said I wasn't sure if it was a proton or not, but it was something of similar size or whatnot (i.e. electrons, nuetrons, etc.) Basically, they put information in binary code on something like that, and it travels instantly to it's designated target. The problem is, the molecule or whatever, disintigrates on contact with any surface they've tried so far. They can transport data, but unfortunately for us lazy people, there's no possibility of teleporting people.

OK, I'll buy that. There are some elementary antiparticles (Like positrons) that would be able to do that, and would dissipate into energy on contact with normal matter. A computer of that nature is a long way off, and could become dangerous if scaled-up too far, but is quite possible.

View PostMr.T, on Sep 9 2006, 11:37 PM, said:

And how do the know if there is even "parallel universes"?

Google "string theory."

It's the closest thing we have to Einstein's dream of a Unified Field Theory. A quick synopsis of the theory:
                                Elementary particles are not indivisible, but are actually composed of vibrating strands of energy (strings.) This explains both why matter and energy can be converted into one another with relatively little effort, and why the rules governing large objects are so radically different from those governing sub-atomic particles. It's a simple and elegant theory, but it comes at a big price. It states that there are around 11 dimensions and a theoretically unlimited number of parallel universes.

If any of you are still awake:
                                I blame Split for mentioning quantum computers!

#16   Toasty 

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:00 PM

I see. That's quite interesting. I was aorking on a science paper last night on Supernova's and found quite a few interesting facts. Before Quantum Phsyics were discovered, some scientists, who were later disproved by Einstine and somone else, infered that it was possible for something called a "black body" to absorb all energy that passed by it, and when it's temperature increased, could give off virtually limitless radiation. This was later disproved by the discovery of quantum physics. It was refered to as an "Ultraviolet Catastrophe"

Now back on topic, no, I didn't fall asleep, and I cary around a 64Mb flash drive that has just about everything I need from my computer, except games and the internet.

#17   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:03 PM

Yes people, please get back on topic. Feel free to make a new topic elsewhere about quantum mechanics and such, but please don't hijack threads anymore.

I just want to add something that might interest some of you reading this topic: Windows Vista (the next version of Windows, coming out in January) has a new feature called "ReadyBoost," which allows a user to insert a usb flash drive/memory stick, and it will be used as additional memory/RAM. Initially benchmarks do show a noticeable performance improvement, especially on computers with relatively low RAM (512-1GB). Seeing as most people don't use all the space on their thumbdrives, this could be something for people to look in to when Vista comes out.

#18   Toasty 

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:39 PM

That's pretty cool. You could get a 1GB boost for $50 instead of 200! That right there is a good reason to get it, besides it being the next MS OS.

#19   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                        • AKA Spam King

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:13 AM

Sorry Max, I just wanted to point out that quantum computers will operate on the basis that a single unit of data can be made to contain multiple pieces of information. Imagine a binary number '1' could consist of an entire small program.

#20   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:36 PM

Split, I believe you are actually mistaken. Quantum computers are supposed to be computers that use the physical properties of molecules (called qubits) instead of traditional on/off switches (bits).

You may be thinking of DNA computers, where a single "bit" could actually be of 4 types instead of just 2. Do you have a source for that information?

#21   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                            • AKA Spam King

Posted 21 September 2006 - 03:18 PM

I was typing from memory, so I could be wrong. Now where's that article...

The future of computing and the wierd world of quantum physics

All of today's computers deal with information in the same way. Information you put in is translated into a computer code as a series of 1's and 0's, called 'bits' of information. A 'bit' can be thought of as a box containing a one or a zero.

Quantum theory, though strange, applies to computing in the following way. Each box contains not just one bit of information (a zero or a one), but a more complex quantum bit, called a 'qubit' of information.This means that more information could be handled daster and more efficiently. If each box could contan a zero and a one at the same time, which is called a superposition, many more combinations could be made using the same number of boxes. This seems bizarre - how can a one and a zero exist at the same time?

In nature, many things exist in this strange quantum twilight world of superpositions. A single atom or a single particle that can exist in two forms at the same time will be the most likely qubit of the future. Scientists have already built small quantum computers involving only a few qubits, and progress is continuing.

What could a quantum computer be used for?

A tiny qunatum computer could be used to make and break complex codes used in computing and in the military. Instead of years of calculations, a quantum computer could take a few hours. It would be extremely efficient at accessing information in a database, and could also be used to model extremely complex and bizarre quantum physics effects, which would be of great benefit to physicists.

Is it possible to build a quantum computer that can calculate?

The 0, 1 superposition is extremely fragile - it may not be possible to sustain this for long enough for a quantum computer to solve a problem. Qubits also become more unstable when they are linked together - the more qubits, the greater the disturbance in a shorter time. The quantum system also has to be isolated from outside influence as much as possible. Pysicists are now experimenting with a variety of quantum systems, including atoms, ions, and photons, to find one that is stable enough to be used efficiently.

- The Helix, Issue No. 99

Page 1 of 1
                                            • You cannot start a new topic
                                            • You cannot reply to this topic