• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

North Korea Nuclear Threat?

#1   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:04 PM

Fairly straightforward: what's your take on the recent nuclear test in North Korea? What does this mean for the world (or does it mean anything?) What would you propose doing?

#2   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Veterans
      • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:23 PM

I think it's definately worthy of notice, if not action. Up until now, the nuclear club has only included one country (US) that was crazy enought to actually use their nukes. This makes me very worried...

#3   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
        • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
        • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:00 PM

We're not crazy. If we were, we'd have bombed North Korea already just for suspicion. We only dropped on on Hiroshima to stop the continuation of a war that would ultimatley cost 1000 times as many lives on the Japanese side alone. That being said, North Korea deffinately deserves attention. It's pretty much Clinton's fault that they even have the technology now, and North Korea being the way they are, we (not only the US) need to be able to stop them if needed.

#4   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
          • AKA Me111

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:33 PM

I guess it is pretty worrying but I doubt they would risk a World War, considering they're pretty low on allies.

#5   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
            • AKA watch

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:11 AM

Who cares. Iraq had weapons of mass destruction (supposedly) and nothing happened. Well apart from the testing Saddam preformed on his own people...

Really though, If north Korea wanted to start something they would just get shut down so quickly. Nations aren't going to take the risk of Nukes being used againest their soil.

Offtopic- GL you've been mad on creating topics lately...

#6   Ravenblade 

• Disciple

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:14 AM

North korea is harmless...I mean, even if they do start threatening to use nukes, they cant hit the US from Korea can they? They dont have the missile technology to launch them that far.

All thats gonna happen is that the region will be destabilised a bit and the US will panic and use it as a propaganda so that the government can pretend its in danger to rally support for when it blatantly isnt.

North korea are just being beligerent. If they attack anyone, it'll be Japan.

FYI - they said it was 1 kilotonne. As far as nukes go, thats pathetic. The one the Americans massacred the people of Hiroshima with was 12 kilotonnes. The Russians created the most powerful one ever and it was 50 000 kilotonnes. I really dont think anyone needs to worry about this much. Its amusing to see it all go on though.

As an aside - If the US dropped the nuke on Hiroshima to save lives, why did they prevent the Japanese surrendering so they could drop a second on Nagasaki. That was psychotic. And to think Einstein fled to America to stop the weapon ever being used...he was well and truly betrayed there x_x Im never going to believe the whole thing was anything other than evil, i cant believe nukes are still around after the horror of that event.

All of this said, perhaps NK WILL start making decent nukes soon - if it does then we could get an Eastern Asian war which i suppose could escalate into world war 3. The way i see it, with alliances as they are, it'd be China and NK (also probably Russia...) fighting off South Korea and Japan. It would only become a world war if the US took a side i think.

#7   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:39 PM

Well about your opinion on the Hiroshimaand Nagasaki bombings, that's an opinion, and nothing more. Just like I have an opinion that it was either a few thousand Japnese lives, or a few hundred thousand lives on both sides. Sometimes lives must be taken to save lives, as cruel and barbaric seeming as it may be. Now if this is to be discussed further, someone can go make a topic for it.
                As far as North Korea goes, they aren't a threat to the US, but they are a threat to the surrounding countries, like South Korea, which the US is aligned with. So if the US rallies for support, it would be to protect South Korea, not the US. We aren't always selfish and attention needing as you so subtly pointed out. I'm not worried about it, but I do think something needs to be done to stop the testing.

#8   lphantoml 

• New User
                  • Group: Members

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:45 AM

View PostRavenblade, on Oct 18 2006, 03:14 AM, said:

North korea is harmless...I mean, even if they do start threatening to use nukes, they cant hit the US from Korea can they? They dont have the missile technology to launch them that far.

All thats gonna happen is that the region will be destabilised a bit and the US will panic and use it as a propaganda so that the government can pretend its in danger to rally support for when it blatantly isnt.

North korea are just being beligerent. If they attack anyone, it'll be Japan.

FYI - they said it was 1 kilotonne. As far as nukes go, thats pathetic. The one the Americans massacred the people of Hiroshima with was 12 kilotonnes. The Russians created the most powerful one ever and it was 50 000 kilotonnes. I really dont think anyone needs to worry about this much. Its amusing to see it all go on though.

As an aside - If the US dropped the nuke on Hiroshima to save lives, why did they prevent the Japanese surrendering so they could drop a second on Nagasaki. That was psychotic. And to think Einstein fled to America to stop the weapon ever being used...he was well and truly betrayed there x_x Im never going to believe the whole thing was anything other than evil, i cant believe nukes are still around after the horror of that event.

All of this said, perhaps NK WILL start making decent nukes soon - if it does then we could get an Eastern Asian war which i suppose could escalate into world war 3. The way i see it, with alliances as they are, it'd be China and NK (also probably Russia...) fighting off South Korea and Japan. It would only become a world war if the US took a side i think.

US would support Japan and South Korea obviously....

And I would like to point out a completely FALSE statement on your part.

"As an aside - If the US dropped the nuke on Hiroshima to save lives, why did they prevent the Japanese surrendering so they could drop a second on Nagasaki. That was psychotic."

Completely untrue, they never tried to surrender and the japaneese troops stayed active in combat against the US. Only after the second one did they declare defeat because if we had any more nukes we could have flattened japan.

But I will give you the fact that we didnt ask them if they wanted to surrender. It saved lives believe me, the asian culture is very, very proud and every single person would have fought to the death on that island. It would have been a blood bath, and its not like we even started the fight with Japan, they attacked pearl harbor.

Raven I love your choice of words to guide the reader into thinking of the evil America.

"The one the Americans massacred the people of Hiroshima with was 12 kilotonnes"

Quite histerical.

#9   Ravenblade 

• Disciple

Posted 19 October 2006 - 07:17 AM

I accept i cant factually back up the statement about you preventing them surrendering so i concede on that one - its just what i had been lead to believe (and continue to believe).

FYI it was a massacre. They were civilians. Killing of 200 000 unarmed people (60 000 instantly, 140 000 in slow painful deaths over the next few years) is a massacre.

I know you didnt start the fight, i agree the japanese were at fault there. I just dont think the murdering of that many civilians was really necessary.

Back on Korea though, I agree that the US would protect South korea and japan as it is legally bound to. You signed a treaty with the Japanese saying you would protect them so i suppose you would be bound to honour that.

Mind you, that bodes nothing good for the region if NK nukes someone as the US would be all over them, and i think, justifiably. I would be all for military intervention if anyone starts throwing nukes around.

#10   Hotshot101 

• Chaos Lord
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • Location:Outside of your house with a sniper rifle a little computer and an american flag.
                      • Interests:Vidoe games, some sports

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:43 PM

Some people say north korea is trying to scare us, some say its real. well if it is it may not be much now, but you wait it will get worse.

#11   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                        • AKA Me111

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:43 AM

It depends on what they choose to do. At the moment they're being condemed by pretty much everybody. It would be a bad idea to fight against so many.

#12   Hotshot101 

• Chaos Lord
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                          • Location:Outside of your house with a sniper rifle a little computer and an american flag.
                          • Interests:Vidoe games, some sports

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:49 PM

well yes but you forget the position of nuclear bombs, they will turn that many to a few if used correctly

Page 1 of 1
                          • You cannot start a new topic
                          • You cannot reply to this topic