• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Violence In Schools

#1   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:57 PM

I searched 'violence' and nothing came up. I can only assume therefore that this is the only topic of this subject.

Yesterday a huge fight broke out at our school. Four kids from another school came after school and chased one of our students with what can be described as a 'huge knife' (probably a machete). The police were called, but they came later than expected. Luckily the target was pretty fast and got away from the others, who dispersed after learning they had arrived at a bad time (about two hundred students were watching this whole thing) Meanwhile a smaller fight had broken out inside the school between some freshman students.

Also, there has been an increase in school shootings here in Canada and from what I understand, in the U.S. as well.

So, are we really safe in schools? Are you concerned at all about school shootings happening in your area. What can be done?

Discuss.

#2   Hotshot101 

• Chaos Lord
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Members
      • Location:Outside of your house with a sniper rifle a little computer and an american flag.
      • Interests:Vidoe games, some sports

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:21 PM

This is one reason why i am homeschooled. There are tons of reason why kids do get into fights and stuff shootings is real anger against someone.

#3   Eugine 

• Master Adept
        • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:43 PM

In my new school haven't seen a fight since, waiting to see one though ^^

At my old school, it's just normal fights, not with knifes or anything. Someone makes you angry, you push them, you kick and kuff, get scolded, you're friends the next day ^^.

#4   Mars Djinni 

• Master Adept
          • Interests:Martial Arts:<br />- Weapons (Bo staff :D)<br />- Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino styles<br /><br />Video Games: <br />Fire Emblem, Zelda, Megaman, Super Smash Bros., Age of Empires/Mythology, Final Fantasy, etc.<br /><br />Movies, Web Design, Foruming-ing-ing, Sprites and Digital Art, Drawing, Writing, Anime, etc.

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:02 PM

Same here. It doesn't get serious enough as to provoke large scale violence like in other schools. Just the chase down the hall, few (weak) punches thrown, pushing, etc. Calms down within half a day.

#5   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
            • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
            • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:14 PM

I see very few of even those. If I do see them, it's usually just horseing around between friends. It's pretty easy to tell the diference between the two.
            A little while ago though, there was a threat of a gang going to our highschool to beat/kill (don't remember which) someone(s), and the threat then changed to it comeing to our middles school. Never happened though, don't think the police caught 'em either. Someone from the highschool (a respectable source) overheard a convo between two people about it (who I think were in a gang), and that's how the threat came to be known. Good thing is that it didn't happen.

#6   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
              • AKA watch

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:38 PM

Violence in schools exists everywhere. Only America and sometimes Canada make it to the news becuase of easy access to guns.

My school is fine. Worst thing thats happened is I've gotten a black eye. Yesterday actually, but that was just screwing around.

#7   Caael 

• Master Adept
                • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:40 PM

There's violence in our schools, but never major. Once the teachers got in and got beaten around whil tryung to break it up, but never police have been called in. At least not at our schools.

#8   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                  • AKA watch

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:05 AM

We had the police called on my previous school last week. The night before muck up day about 150 year 12 students went down to the school. Estimated damage of spray paint alone at $3,500 and 8 windows broken, as well as the normal fish oil etc.

#9   Ravenblade 

• Disciple
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:19 AM

When i started high school we got fights every week, but as the years went by the gradually reduced in frequency (as the culprits got expelled). However, i remember one incident of someone having barbed wire wrapped round their neck - another of a pupil punching a teacher..

Englad gets a few school stabbings too - but generally i think schools do ok in combatting it - you're always gonna get the psychos but they seemed to be identified and thrown into Juvy pretty early

#10   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:09 AM

Personally, I feel safe in our school. This is a very rare event that probably will never happen again. I think we all should feel safe in schools, but sometimes that isn't the case.

#11   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                        • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:08 AM

I know such a serious fight can't break out in my school. The teachers always keep a close look on us. They're always around. I've been in two fights in the past three years, but they haven't been anything serious. Both of them were just me losing my cool and hitting the other guy many times in a row, everywhere I could reach, whilst all they did is defend themselves. The first one could have turned into something dangerous though. Well, dangerous for the other guy. After hitting him a few times I got hold of a chair, raised it over my head, but put it down at the last moment. Thank goodnes I came back to my sences.

But these kinds of things happen occasionaly in other schools here. Children getting killed by their friends with a knife and stuff.

#12   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                          • AKA Me111

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:41 AM

View PostSea_of_Time, on Oct 27 2006, 05:23 PM, said:

Personally, I feel safe in our school. This is a very rare event that probably will never happen again. I think we all should feel safe in schools, but sometimes that isn't the case.

I feel pretty safe. There's only minor sort of fights, though someone did get pretty badly hurt not that long ago.

#13   pHantOm 

• Disciple

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:18 PM

I remember when I was in elementary school back in California, the middle school in my area had a shooting and 3 people were killed. Call it the last straw if you will, we moved here to Pennsylvania only months later.

#14   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                              • AKA Me111

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:32 PM

I'd know I would want to move if something like that happened near me. I can understand your feelings.

#15   Saturos S. 

• Master Adept
                                • Interests:Nom nom nom. Cookies.

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:01 AM

I go to a small school that's only for... smart kids. It's an only gymnasium (not the sports one, but the high standard school one.) So we hardly have any incidents, and if there is a fight, it's nothing the janitor and teachers can't handle. Also it's much harder to get guns or weapons of some sort in Holland then in America. And I'm pretty sure there are no knife or gun incidents at my school. The worst thing that's happened since I went to that school is a wire burnt through, causing a lot of smoke. So it was a small fire and everyone got a day off.. But worse then that, I can't remember or imagine happening at my school.

#16   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
                                  • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:39 PM

Meh, we never have any fights, but like I said in TRT, we had a bit of an...incident...on Friday. We have a few crazy kids, but they never really start anything...

#17   I'm Always BROKE 

• Master Adept
                                    • AKA Fire Dude, Diddy Kong

Posted 12 November 2006 - 12:52 PM

Last year I got in 2 fights. One rather small one with pushing and weak punches but the other one was quite serious. In short: the guy threw a Coca Cola can to my head and my fists told him not to do so anymore...

I'm now at a school what you guys would call a Jr College. I'm there for 2 months now, and I haven't seen a fight or started one. However I cold see it happening anytime soon because the atmosphere in my school is rather aggresive. Not really sure how to explain that though...

At my last school I saw alot of fights. Almost the half of them where from 1st year students though. A classmate of mines was beaten up because someone sprayed peperspray in his eyes and there where sometimes fights other classes.

But overall, I haven't fought too much at school

#18   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                                      • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:51 PM

View PostDiddyKong, on Nov 12 2006, 10:06 PM, said:

Last year I got in 2 fights. One rather small one with pushing and weak punches but the other one was quite serious. In short: the guy threw a Coca Cola can to my head and my fists told him not to do so anymore...

That made me laugh. I hope you bashed that mother ****er up good.
                                      I can't believe how simmilar we are Diddy. We both like the drinking kind of fun, and I too would get totally pissed off if someone who I didn't know did this to me. You would fit in perfectly with me and my friends.

#19   I'm Always BROKE 

• Master Adept

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:18 PM

Hahaha that's good to hear! :D I regonise myself alot to in your post.
                                        However, I did know the guy... He and I were classmates for 2 years. The first year I was in the same class with him, he and a friend of his bullied me cause I was new in the class and behaved really odd.

He dressed rather geeky and he wasn't populair, but 3 years ago I wasn't the same guy as I'm now either... MMORPG's and just RPG's in general where the things I spended my days with... That and being a hyper active jackass. If you wanna see it yourself, just read some of my older posts! ...

Plus the facts that I didn't got any friends at the same school, and my classmates thought I was strange... Which I really WAS! ._. However, I did made people laugh. They called me a monkey who's outta controll... In a bad way...

Anyways, I'm not gonna hide this but: because I got bullied alot, I started to bully myself. The guy I bullied was a very calm, gentle guy who is rather old fashioned in both speaking and overall appearance. And I say I'm really ashamed of myself! And because the bullies liked the way I called him names, they somehow started teaming up with me. I even got into a fight with this guy... All I can say about this: DON'T ever do this! I was just trying to fit into a group which just doesn't fit me... I want all of you to never do the same thing!
                                        However, in the last year of High school I became sort of friends with him and said my appoligies to him.

But then, 2 other new guys came in our class. One, who's still one of my best friends today. He made me more social and calmer, really if it wasn't for him... Let's just say I would be alot more at this place! :P Anyway, I then had some friends in the class. The guys who bullied stopped a little

Then the next year came, and because my friend was still at vacation, those assholes thought they could bully me again like they used to now he was gone. But in that summer vacation, I became way more social.
                                        One of those bullies became a gothic, I myself have got nothing against those people but him... I couldn't STAND it! He was acting really tough and so and it'd just ****ing pissed me of!

The social group I was with last year became much bigger and those guys barely bothered me anymore. I also got in a small fight with the other guy, I punched him in his stomach but then the janitor came... :lol:;

Anyways, one day me and my group where just chilling in the lunch break when those 2 guys came sit next to me. Our group wasn't happy with that, because we didn't want to be seen with those guys. But the conversation was really going on and instead of being aggresive against those guys I showed all our trash to their side of the table. And with the trash, there was that evil can of Coca Cola...

Well I said it before but: the gothic threw it to my head and he hitted me pretty good. He and his friend were still sitting and laughing. I was SOOO ****ing angry then... I first threw the remaining coke all over his head, then I gave him the oppertunity to stand up. The other son of a ***** was provoking the gothic and he suddenly stood up with his bag in his hand. He didn't quite hit me well with it but it SURE angried me up... All I remember is that I wanted nothing more but rip him into pieces! And I sure as hell did so! However when I got him down three janitors came between us and sepperated us... I was sent home for 4 days. ;>_> That was the only serious fight I've ever got in.

That one guy I bullied myself later that year hanged around with my group. He still didn't got anything to say, and I still made jokes about him but not as much as the year before. But he hasn't got any friends in all those 4 years of High school... So we felt sorry for him and so he started hanging around with us. Still that doesn't makes up from what I did to him. :)

WHOA! This post took me some time! But atleast I lighted up my hearth a bit to you guys. :) Ima go sleep now, cause Im tired as hell!

#20   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                                          • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:45 PM

Wow, that was very... open of you, Diddy. Similar(yet not so novel-like :lol:) things have happened to me, and you're totally right about everything you've said. One of the very worst things you can do is to act like and idiot and be bad towards someone to fit into a social group.

#21   Lemontime 

• Disciple
                                            • AKA sibsag, Lemontime

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:31 PM

Just stay out of trouble. Don't be a smartass and you're fine!

#22   I'm Always BROKE 

• Master Adept

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:01 PM

Hehehe I'm everything but a smartass. :D And speaking about violence in schools, a friend of mines is suspended because he fought with another classmate of me. He knocked the guy on the ground and wanted to kick into him but I stopped him from doing that...

#23   Elliott 

• Cool
                                                • Interests:Metal, philosophy, percussion, literature, writing, theology, personal fitness, live music, tattoos.
                                                • AKA Agatio

Posted 01 January 2007 - 12:03 AM

I went to a Christian school, so the only fight I ever saw was one that I was involved it (some guy was being a ****bag so I clocked him one). Anyway, some teenagers simply can't resolve matters rationally using words so they resort to physical violence. Similarly, some people are too stupid to understand rationality and logic so the only option is to deal with them in a language that they understand.

#24   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                  • Group: Moderator
                                                  • Location:Sitting on a fence and drinking root beer
                                                  • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:52 PM

I go to a small High School with a fairly small student body. We don't have any cliques really, so there's rarely any "disagreements" or really any reason to fight.

So yeah, we don't get many fights very often. The last "serious" thing was were some guys from another school came over during passing period and stabbed two guys over at my school. We were on lockdown for the whole school day. This girl I like sent me a text message that day to see how I was doing, and I forgot my cell phone. Aw maaaaan. I had to get that off my chest, sorry. :P

Anyway, as for me, I've punched a few people in the stomach to get them off my back if they pissed me off enough. (you'd have to try reaally hard to piss me off, so you'd probably deserve it if you did get me to that point) It was hard enough that they'd be paralyzed and couldn't fight back; I'm stronger than I look despite being 6 feet tall with kinda skinny arms. So I've never been in a real fist fight.

#25   Zangetsu 

• New User
                                                    • Interests:Sheena<br />Tales of Symphonia<br />Bleach<br />Sheena<br />Evangelion<br />Flyff<br />Sheena<br />RPing<br />Illutia<br />Sheena

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:20 PM

My school is so diverse and we all get along so well you'd think it's a strict private school. Two fights a year unless you have idiot freshman then four. Sadly/luckily it's only the freshman who fight at my school.

Page 1 of 1
                                                    • You cannot start a new topic
                                                    • You cannot reply to this topic