• You cannot reply to this topic

F-Zero Topic

#1   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:04 PM

I wouldn't have made this topic had I not found out something very sad: the F-Zero franchise sells quite badly. Now, the problem is I just can't see how this is possible! F-Zero GX for GameCube is the best racing game I've ever played and the F-Zero franchise is one of my favorites, alongside the likes of Metroid, Pokemon and others.
    I know lots of people here play StarFox, a very popular franchise, which I also play. But the thing is, F-Zero is BETTER than StarFox! I think Blink and I are the only ones from GSSF who play F-Zero. Why I ask you? WHY!?

F-Zero GX has over 30 vehicles and characters, more than 20 race tracks, an insane amount of unlockables, custom vehicles... It is awfuly hard, but not so hard that it cannot be mastered and it is insanely fast. The visuals are amazing, but even more so is the music. F-Zero GX has the best music of any game I've ever played.
    It has a multiplayer mode of course, but it's not as good as Double Dashes multiplayer. Single player is where GX shines. Playing against 29 other CPU's is amazingly fun and challenging. There are no random weapons and items you'll get in the middle of the race. Winning is all about skill.

I'm creating this topic because I want an F-Zero game for Wii. F-Zero GX has 30 pilots racing each other at the same time. Of course, that is only in single player. What I want for Wii is online multiplayer with 30 players racing to the finish. That's one of my dream Wii games. Unfortunately, that just doesn't seem too possible at the moment. None of the games since the very first F-Zero have sold well. The cartoon wasn't popular either. F-Zero seems to be cursed, even though it's so great.

I feel so bloody sorry for the franchise. Shigeru Miyamoto created a new and revolutionary kind of racing game whose concept has been stolen by many. I also feel sorry for everyone who hasn't played F-Zero GX, because they're missing out on something spectacular. I actually understand why somebody wouldn't like F-Zero X for the N64 and the GBA games, but I see no reason why someone would not like GX.

Now I have some questions for you so please answer them. Have you ever played F-Zero GX? If you have then why didn't you like it? If you liked it then why didn't you buy it?

#2   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
      • AKA Me111

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:06 PM

I've seen a lot of good reviews for it, but I've never been a big fan of racing games. Hell the closest I ever get is Mario Kart. ;)

#3   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
        • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:11 PM

If you were to play GX you WOULD become a fan, believe me! Or at least a fan of the F-Zero series.

#4   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
          • AKA Me111

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:22 PM

I doubt it. I have a dislike of most driving games, be they realisitic or not. It just isn't something I find that fun.
          On saying that, I can understand why people who do like driving games would enjoy it.

#5   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
            • Interests:.5% per annum.
            • AKA Spam King

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:43 AM

The only F-Zero game I own is Maximum Velocity. It's...average. I've played a few other F-Zero games and GX was bloody awesome. But this...this game trades the feeling of going as fast as you possibly can for a crummy obstacle-ridden racetrack with unecessarily sharp turns and impossibly hard opponents.

I'm not a huge fan of racing games because: a) They either start out super-hard or... b) They start out at a fun but challenging pace, and then without warning become insanely hard.

#6   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
              • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:14 AM

As I said, I understand why somebody wouldn't like the N64 and GBA F-Zero games, but as you said, GX is bloody awesome. I think GX steadily rises from sort-of-easy to amazingly-hard-but-still-a-joy-to-play. I can't really remember, I loved its difficulty all the time. There are way too many easy games now, so this difficulty was lovely.
              I've got a question for you Split: If GX was as good as you say, why didn't you purchase it?

#7   Blink 

• Disciple
              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                • Group: Members
                • Interests:Video games, RPGs, Flight Sims, Art, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Golden Sun...<br /><br />omg this used to be mah sig.<br />[url=http://www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/OTHER/blinkstale.jpg[/img]<br />[/url][url=http://www.get--a--life.com/POLKA/polkaindex.html]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/IMG/polkabanner8.gif[/img]<br />[/url]&lt;&lt;--Click!

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:19 PM

Aquamarine, I may have bought every console F-Zero game to date, gone to Japan and made sure I saw F-Zero AX while I was over there, and donated F-Zero to my old after school center's SNES...but there is no way I would ever consider our beloved F-Zero to be a better game or game series than Star Fox is. Star Fox 64 proves that, plain and simple.

But yes, none the less, F-Zero is still one of my favorite franchises, and I desperately want to see an F-Zero on the Wii, or rather, one on the DS that is of the same quality that Mario Kart DS is. I yearn for F-Zero now that I've gotten my fill of Star Fox this gen, and the series hasn't gotten the attention it deserves.

...still, it hasn't got any stories, and lovable characters with real personalities, the whole series is somewhat stale, even though the art style and gameplay are always top notch.

#8   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                  • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:15 AM

I agree that StarFox 64 is a better game than F-Zero X, but it isn't better than GX. I loved StarFox 64 too, and yes the characters are awesome and it's a load of fun, but it's just way too short. GX is a LOT better than both GameCube StarFox games, which were both average.
                  If you ask me, F-Zero has some pretty cool characters. Yeah, they don't have real personalities, but just remember Mighty Gazelle, Bio Rex and Deathborn. They are awesome.
                  Anyway, something I find much more important than a good story and characters is simply how fun the game is. That is where GX wins.

#9   Blink 

• Disciple
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • Group: Members
                    • Interests:Video games, RPGs, Flight Sims, Art, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Golden Sun...<br /><br />omg this used to be mah sig.<br />[url=http://www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/OTHER/blinkstale.jpg[/img]<br />[/url][url=http://www.get--a--life.com/POLKA/polkaindex.html]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/IMG/polkabanner8.gif[/img]<br />[/url]&lt;&lt;--Click!

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:52 PM

Fair enough, but character development is huge for me, so, yeah. You won't catch me playing F-Zero or Smash Bros alone very often, not nearly as much as you will with SF64.

#10   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                      • Group: Admin

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:32 AM

F-Zero GX is one of the fastest paced racing games I've ever played, and it requires immense precision, especially when playing against the AI, which is brutal once you try it past novice.

#11   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                        • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:56 AM

Exactly, and those are two things I love about the game. In a time where games are quite easy, F-Zero GX is what I'm looking for in terms of difficulty. But I want to add that I can now finish a Master difficulty Grand Prix with relative ease, which just means that all you need to do is practice and you'll become better. The game isn't TOO difficult.

I asked Split why he didn't buy F-Zero GX if he likes it so much, but I forgot he doesn't own a GameCube. My bad.
                        Do you have GX, GL?

#12   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                          • Group: Admin

Posted 10 December 2006 - 02:23 PM

'Course I do, else I wouldn't have talked about it :rolleyes:

But GX is definitely a frustrating game. I've only made it to the third chapter in the story mode, and that was after tons of effort. The slightest mistake on the track could mean you'll just have to retire and start over, especially on Standard/Expert modes. Unlocking new characters by using tickets you collect is definitely welcome, but I always stick with Captain Falcon.

#13   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                            • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:58 AM

I've finished all chapters on all difficulties, and I've unlocked all the unlockables the game has. My brother couldn't finish all of the story mode on the hardest difficulty so hey, I guess I'm just naturally good at the game. :rolleyes:

Maybe you should try playing with some other machines. My favorite vehicle is the Big Fang(driver is Bio Rex). The Blue Falcon's stats are Body: B, Boost: C and Grip: B, the same as the Super Pirahna's(driver: Kate Alen), which in my opinion is easier to win with(since no vehicles that have the same stats are totally the same), so try that car.

#14   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                              • AKA Spam King

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:17 PM

Is it just me, or do people become naturally better at video games over time? In general?

#15   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                                • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:37 AM

Well... It is probably true, I mean, it would make sense you know. No Split, you haven't come to an amazing discovery.

#16   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                  • AKA Spam King

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:38 PM

In what words would you put it, my apprentice?

#17   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                                    • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:21 AM

Your apprentice? Why would I be your apprentice!?
                                    This is getting too off topic now...

Where did you say you played F-Zero GX, Split?

#18   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                      • AKA Spam King

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:53 PM

At my friends' houses. One of them has a GameCube, the other rents one for his birthdays.

Page 1 of 1
                                      • You cannot start a new topic
                                      • You cannot reply to this topic