Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Linux I'm making the switch

#1   Lan 

• New User
    • Group: Members

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:14 PM

Yes, I've finally had it with Windows. It wasn't the viruses or spyware, though I'll be glad to be rid of them, but was Microsoft's poor implementation of alleged "improvements." The final straw came when I got on the computer to do a research paper. The system was moving absurdly slow, for no apparent reason. But I overcame it and fired up Word and some online sources. After moving slowly a bit more, Windows comes up and say's "Hey! I just finished downloading and installing updates, all on my own. I didn't tell you or anything! That's the reason your computer has been moving so slow. Not like there's anything you could have done! I'm going to restart now!"

I've never really gotten angry at a computer before. I sometimes get annoyed, or pissed off at a real person. But this time, I just became so infuriated with Windows and wished it could hear and comprehend me, because I wanted to scream at it for being a ******* of an operating system. So now I've had it. It's Linux for me. As soon as I have a DVD burner, or my second hard drive to transport my outrageously large video and music collection to the new operating system, that's it. Screw you, Gates, and your friend Ballmer too.

#2   Eugine 

• Master Adept
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Veterans
      • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:29 PM

I'm fine with Windows. If I have to switch, it'll only be to a Mac.

#3   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
        • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
        • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:57 PM

I've heard of Linux, but I've never seen it on a PC. Could someone provide a screenshot?

#4   Lan 

• New User

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:59 AM

There are soooo many versions, one screen shot wouldn't do justice to them all. And before you ask, there is no one version that's best. They're all good for different purposes. You might want to take a look at Ubuntu, that's a good starter distro. http://www.ubuntu.com/

#5   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:34 PM

I would also have switched to Mac, though I understand your reasoning behind choosing Linux.

#6   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:46 PM

Then allow me to explain. Linux is the third party candidate of operating systems. It's nice to have a choice other than just Windows or Mac OS. It's little used outside the code-monkey crowd, since nerds like them are among the system's primary developers. However there are many versions (or "Distros") that look and work just like Windows. Ubuntu 6.06 is the simplest and most popular. The only difference is that linux dosn't suck. Its processing speeds aren't slowed down by spyware and everything you'll ever need is free. Plus it's open-source so you can tinker with it if you want. Linux has a mirror of almost all windows components, OpenOffice=Microsoft Office, Thunderbird=Outlook, Banshee=iTunes, GIMP=Photoshop, etc. You can go to linux.org and download a free distro from the several dozen that are there. You can install it and run it on your computer in about an hour, all you need is a CD burner so you can burn the .iso file onto a CD to make a new boot-record disc.
              Wow, explaining Linux is actually kind of fun!

#7   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:49 PM

I said I did understand his reasoning. But thanks anyway for the explanation.

#8   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                  • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:51 PM

Dang flabbit! Oh, well. It's still fun to hear myself talk. *Walks away singing* I am the very model of a modern Major General I have a very...

#9   Gardna 

• Chaos Lord
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2007 - 05:19 PM

I'm in love with Ubuntu right now. Switched to it from Mandriva because i can't stand Beryl ><

Page 1 of 1
                    • You cannot start a new topic
                    • You cannot reply to this topic