Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Riaa Recording Industries Association of America

#1   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:18 AM

Recently, the RIAA managed to raise the fees on internet radio services, making it nearly impossible for them to exist. So goodbye Pandora and pretty much everything else. This is pretty good article about it.

If you don't know, the RIAA is a group of labels and distributers who control about 90% of US music.

The real problem the RIAA has with services like Pandora is something called EPT, or Equal Playing Time. Corporate terrestial radio gives very little playing time to independent artists. For example, the radio station around my town, 105.7 The X , only gives two hours a week to independent music on a program called the Sunday News. Every other time of the week, every song they play (and I do mean EVERY SONG) is owned by the RIAA. The RIAA has a monopoly on rock music for that market.

Services like Pandora, however, replace the need for terrestial radio by offering listeners free personalized stations. The only problem is that they give EPT to both independent and major labels. This is a real threat to the monopoly the RIAA has struggled to build. If people hear as much independent music as the major-label-music, they might start buying independent albums and going to independent concerts, taking away business from major labels. By forcing legislation that shuts down these services, the RIAA isn't protecting its own rights. It's protecting its own monopoly.

Sign the petition!

What are your thoughts on that and the RIAA in general? Even if you don't live in the US?

Personally, I love Pandora and I think they're retarded for doing this.

#2   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Veterans
      • Interests:.5% per annum.
      • AKA Spam King

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:40 PM

I don't really care, but it does seem a bit silly.

#3   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:57 PM

Damn, does this means they're getting rid of Last.fm? I hate the RIAA and their Nazi-warlord demands! I'll get music however I want, I'm a free man!

*waves Canadian flag*

#4   Eugine 

• Master Adept
          • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:33 PM

Well officially, Pandora is trying to stop Copyright Royalty Board from trippling the licensing fees for Internet radio. For yall Americans, here is where the founder of Pandora, Tim Westergren suggest you sign the petition.
          Sign away. I can't do anything I think.

Page 1 of 1
          • You cannot start a new topic
          • You cannot reply to this topic