• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Changing Hosts

#1   Max 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:19 PM

Due to recent issues with our current host of three years, I will be moving GSS, the forums, and all hosted sites to a new web host. The new host should be both faster and more reliable. I deeply apologize for all the downtime here and at the forums over the past two weeks, and I ask that you bear with us during this move. Once the move is complete, everything should be stable again.

In order for the move to occur without the loss of any forum posts, I will be disabling the forums on the current host. Once I disable the forums, I will change the GSS domain name to point to the new servers. However, due to the workings of the Domain Name System (DNS), it takes most people 24-72 hours for their ISPs to update to the new address. However, as soon as your ISP has updated its DNS cache, you will be able to access the site on the new server and the forums will be enable.

Again, I apologize for the downtime lately, and it will be resolved with this server change. I regret that this move must occur over a weekend, but the inability of our current host to resolve the issues with our server has necessitated an immediate move. I will have everything transferred over by tomorrow morning, at which time I will disable the forums. Like I said, you will know the move is complete when you can access the forums and see a new news post here.

Thank you for your patience.

#2   Eugine 

• Master Adept
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Veterans
      • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:22 PM

hmm. The forum seems OK now. But you said the new host is faster and more reliable, so two days without GSSF is ok (as long as the new host isn't more troublesome P: )

Not to pry, but what's the new host? ^^

#3   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
        • Interests:.5% per annum.
        • AKA Spam King

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:58 PM

The domain is going to change? Does that mean there'll be a new address?

#4   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
          • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
          • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:57 PM

No, I don't think so. At least as far as my knowledge extends. It'll be the same adress, just on a different server.

I havn't noticed a whole lot of downtime in the past few weeks, just every now and then. But even then it was only for a few minutes.

I'm sure most of us will manage living without GSSF for the weekend. -_- And to those who can't, at least it'll run faster. Hopefully it'll be able to get more out of mah fiber optic connection too. =D

#5   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
            • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:01 PM

Just as I was going to put up a new chapter. (Finally) But I suppose it'll be worth it. I guess I'm going to have to find something else to do this weekend. I suppose I could use a chance to dissociate myself from you people take a break and do something constructive.

Page 1 of 1
            • You cannot start a new topic
            • You cannot reply to this topic