• You cannot reply to this topic

Your Pokemon Game

#1   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderator
    • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:14 AM

I'm making this because we all know that the Pokemon games really haven't evolved that much over the years (lol pun). There's new stuff like running, breeding, trading and battling on the internet, new Pokeballs, blah, but the game still plays the same pretty much. Hell, they even take some dialogue from the originals for Name Raters and Move Deleters. This is about what a new game of Pokemon would be like if you were the developer and had the opportunity to change the game into a real, new experience.

I'd post my own ideas but they haven't quite developed yet. But I'm thinking about a new storyline more than "collect badges! fill up your PokeDex! Beat Team x! Capture the fabled Pokemon!!" I've been intending a character more mature than the ones in the current games, not only in age but just more grown up in general. The character would talk and have intentions of their own. I know the game is "Pokemon" but I think the game would be more interesting if there was more of a focus on the main character's development in addition to the Pokemon growing up and evolving.

Just a note that I don't want this to be just storyline speculation, you can say what you want other parts of the game to be like too in battle mechanics, areas, item, anything at all.

#2   Wiflewood 

• Disciple
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Members

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:35 AM

I assume you mean the Hand held pokemon games then, because some of the Gamecube ones have had different story lines (XD - Purifying Shadow Pokemon etc)

I think its pretty likely we'll get a GSC remake for the DS next, there were so many hints and clues in D/P (Red Gyarados at the start, meeting Jasmine in Sunnyshore city)

However I agree that a different stroyline would probably be better, maybe more emphasis on stopping the bad guy as opposed to collecting gym badges and seeing/catching pokemon. I mean, there must be other trainers in the world who the professor can give pokdex's to, why do we have to do it?

#3   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
        • Group: Veterans
        • Interests:.5% per annum.
        • AKA Spam King

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:31 PM

:P Yeah, the RBY storyline never seemed to make sense at the beginning. Oak sends a 10 year old boy on a journey across an island filled with monsters with powerful abilities, armed only with a turtle and a couple of special devices (from which if the monsters break out of, they're probably going to kill him) in order to collect these monsters and receive five-line entries in his Pokedex, which will somehow make a contribution to science and result in him becoming the Pokemon champion and have to Fly back to Indigo Plateau every time someone wants to challenge him. Wacko.

#4   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
          • AKA Me111

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:22 PM

My own pokemon game would start out in the usual way, catching a team of pokemon. However, rather than battle gyms leaders and Catch Em All the character would then force this team to produce hundreds of items of pokemon merchandise like toys, games, movies and so on. These would then be sold to guillable kids across the world.
          Oh wait it's been done. :P
          Seriously though an adventure which doesn't focus on gym leaders and that would be a change. Maybe a slightly more FF style perhaps?

#5   Wiflewood 

• Disciple

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:21 PM

Perhaps something more team based. For example the main character is part of a team who is fighting evil. It would make it more plausible than a 12 year old thwarting an evil organization's plans on his own, and it'd be fun to team up with different members of your crime fighting team in double battles.

#6   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
              • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:22 PM

Yeah, I liked the co-op battles in D/P.

#7   gsninja 

• Master Adept
                • Interests:Inside your pants.

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:33 PM

I think it would be a really dumb idea to change the overall storyline and the overall character appearances/attitudes. However, as Wifle said, putting a bit more emphasis on defeating the bad guys is a pretty good idea, although it shouldn't take any less focus off the basic things (Catching Pokemon, defeating the Gym Leaders, etc.).

The Pokemon games are good because they haven't changed the formula. Aside from putting more focus on the bad guys, Game Freak shouldn't change anything else.

#8   Wiflewood 

• Disciple

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:55 PM

But GS, that was one of the major criticisms of D/P, and the main reason why most videogame magazines/websites only gave it about a 8 out of 10, because of the lack of originality. Sure, they messed around with a few things (Contests, special/physical move split etc), but it didn't really bring anything new to the table unlike all the previous games (G/S introduced male/female, Sp. attk, Sp. Def, breeding etc, and R/S introduced Double Battles, Natures, contests etc)

They've got to keep adding new stuff to keep us entertained and they kind of let themselves down a bit this time round.

#9   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                    • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:13 PM

I don't know if I'll buy the next generation of Pokemon if it's still the same. It's like buying the Madden games over and over and over. You're buying the same game that you already played 40+ hours, but with a graphical update.

#10   gsninja 

• Master Adept
                      • Interests:Inside your pants.

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:48 PM

I'm not saying that they shouldn't add anything new, I'm just saying they shouldn't change anything like the storyline. Adding new things is awesome, I just don't want Game Freak to screw up the original formula of catching all the Pokemon, defeating the Gym Leaders/challenging the Pokemon League, etc. It's true that D/P didn't really add anything totally new (Besides Pokemon and locations), but they did change some things for the better, and the fact that you can get all 493 Pokemon in the game just made it better. =D

#11   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                        • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                        • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:13 PM

If I made one, it'd be for a console and it'd obviously be 3D. It would be different from the two current GC titles though. Instead of haveing a cutscene for overworld travel, you'd travel around like you would in any of the handheld games. You'd have a posse of four, each with their own group of 6 pokemon. You'd have the option of a 2 vs. 2 battle or a 1 on 1 battle unless you encountered two trainers at once. The graphics would be much more realistic, and in the battles you would actually see the pokemon attack eachother or jump out of the way if the attack was supposed to miss.

#12   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                          • AKA watch

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:48 AM

View PostWind Dude, on Jul 18 2007, 08:13 AM, said:

I don't know if I'll buy the next generation of Pokemon if it's still the same. It's like buying the Madden games over and over and over. You're buying the same game that you already played 40+ hours, but with a graphical update.

Same. I only play mine because I paid nothing and everyone else seems to as well.

I have no idea what I would do, but. It seems kind of pussy, you got these dragons and mystical monsters and flying beasts, and they do what? Submit to humans and live in balls. Bring in more of a Digimon storyline with evil pokemon and **** and let the trainer wreck citites with Bulbsaur :P.
                          Serious though, I was always pissed in R/B because of that first team rocket meeting. The guy's inviting you to join, and I thought I could at that time, I got all mad because my character just denied it.

#13   Caael 

• Master Adept
                            • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:25 PM

I'd remake G&S. They need it, and it's probably gonna happen anyway. So it means I dont have to do anything, being the lazy sod that I am.

#14   totalchaos0 

• New User
                              • Interests:Some anime series, Football, Videogames, etc...

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:53 PM

View PostMr.T, on Jul 18 2007, 12:43 AM, said:

If I made one, it'd be for a console and it'd obviously be 3D. It would be different from the two current GC titles though. Instead of haveing a cutscene for overworld travel, you'd travel around like you would in any of the handheld games. You'd have a posse of four, each with their own group of 6 pokemon. You'd have the option of a 2 vs. 2 battle or a 1 on 1 battle unless you encountered two trainers at once. The graphics would be much more realistic, and in the battles you would actually see the pokemon attack eachother or jump out of the way if the attack was supposed to miss.

I've always wanted a pokemon game like that. A combination of both fighting gym leaders and bad guys. Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 and battle revolution is just fighting gym leaders, while Colosseum and XD are just fighting bad guys. So they feel like they're missing something important from the original games.

#15   R-dog 

• Lord
                              • PipPipPipPip
                                • Interests:Gah, I'm too lazy/busy to put something here right now. I'll come up with something eventually.

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:29 PM

Yes! I finally get to vent all my reasons on why I'm not buying Diamond or Pearl. And now for:
                                Everything That Has Ever Annoyed Me About Pokemon!
                                First: the cell phone in Gold and Silver. It drove me absolutely nuts. Up till the point I was screaming, "I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR STUPID LICKITUNG!!!!!!!!!" at the Game Boy. There was a similar thing in Emerald (which my brother played, not me) but I got the impression that it was only slightly less annoying. I also hated the "Trainer's Eyes" in Ruby/Sapphire. All the people who are worth battling never want to battle. I ended up beating the same stupid people over and over again. HOWEVER - The "Versus Seeker" in Fire/Leaf was great! Go up to whoever you want and battle anytime with no interruptions! I would love it if they brought that thing back in another Pokemon.
                                Next: the storyline. I think we've already gone over this. There was a decent storyline in Pokemon Dungeon. I would be happy if something similar was done in other Pokemon games.
                                Next: the Pokemon. Coming up with 100 new Pokemon is one thing. Coming up with 100 Pokemon that are exactly the same except for different names and slightly different looks is another thing. "Ooo, I'm so happy that they created Bidoof! We were all just begging for another Ratata/Sentret/Zigzagoon clone! It's a plus that they made it look stupid and gave it an annoying name! I mean, Bidoof!!! Who wouldn't want to train one of those?!?!" Sheesh, couldn't they be more creative? They've got, like, seventeen different types to play around with and we got bombarded with more pointless Water and Normal type Pokemon. ...Maybe I'm being a little too harsh. I just have this feeling I'm not the only person who thinks an Ice/Poison type Pokemon would be really, really cool.
                                Next: the new evolutions. I admit, the Yanma and Sneasel evolutions look cool. But upon seeing the Lickitung and Tangela evolutions, I had to vomit. They just look so stupid! Also, did we really need two more Eevee evolutions? No, of course not. Why did I ask?
                                A few final thoughts: Wouldn't it be cool if you could choose to send out one, two or three Pokemon in any battle? Wouldn't it be cool if Pokemon moved like Golden Sun monsters did? Wouldn't it be cool if you could pick any non-legendary Pokemon as your starter? I would elaborate more, but this post is already too long. Anyway, I have ranted, so now I am happy.

#16   Toasty 

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:18 PM

The VS. Seeker returned in D/P, and no more anoying calls.

#17   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                    • Location:Sitting on a fence and drinking root beer
                                    • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:33 PM

I actually sort of liked the phone in G/S/C, though getting randomly interrupted WAS annoying. Maybe if they stopped the trainers from calling you, but you can call them? Meh. I don't like how the VS. Seeker needs to recharge.

#18   Toasty 

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:48 PM

It wasn't that bad for me. It's not like they called every second. I just wish the calls weren't so....pointless. A few of them offered battles, and those were the only ones I looked foreward to.

#19   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                        • AKA Spam King

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:10 AM

Was there ever any point to using your mom as a 'bank', apart from perhaps avoiding the fee Team Rocket charge you at the Lake of Rage?

#20   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:23 AM

What i'd like to change is to have 8 pokes on your team. 6 isn't enough.

#21   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                            • AKA Spam King

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:24 AM

Six always seemed enough for me. I think eight would make battles drag on for too long. It might be interesting if you could have endurance battles though.

#22   Toasty 

• Location:The toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:26 AM

^Yeah I know. But if you had eight, then everyone would probably have pretty much the same types as eight would be nearly enough to cover all type weaknesses.

@Split. Not any that I know of, but it is nice to recieve a few thousand credits every once in a while. It's not like you got it for free, but it's like setting aside money that you can use in an emergency.

#23   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                • AKA Spam King

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:32 AM

But the thing about six is that you never know what your opponent will use (in link battles at least), so you need to make that extra effort to give your Pokemon some clever movesets.

#24   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
                                                  • Location:Your local pharmacist
                                                  • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:35 AM

I'm thinking Pokemon strategy games. like Fire Emblem, but with Pokemon. the game's freaking made for it! Or an RTS. That would be awesome too.

#25   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:50 AM

View PostSpam King, on Jul 19 2007, 07:32 AM, said:

But the thing about six is that you never know what your opponent will use (in link battles at least), so you need to make that extra effort to give your Pokemon some clever movesets.

I was thinking mainly for the actual game, becuase I hate having HM slaves with only 4 decent pokes. 2 HM slaves with 6 decent ones would be cool.

Or maybe reserve pokemon, which cant fight until another pokemon faints, so you can use it as a HM slave while it's not fighting.

#26   Lemontime 

• Disciple
                                                      • AKA sibsag, Lemontime

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:09 AM

Blood & Gore.

Full stop.

#27   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:01 AM

Pokemon wouldn't faint if a piano fell on them, they would die. So how come they faint when some hench Dog goes and burns their face off.

In other words, more realism.

#28   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                          • Joined: 16-December 05
                                                          • Location:37°48′S, 144°57′E.
                                                          • AKA Spam King

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:28 PM

View PostCaael, on Jul 23 2007, 07:50 PM, said:

I was thinking mainly for the actual game, becuase I hate having HM slaves with only 4 decent pokes. 2 HM slaves with 6 decent ones would be cool.

Or maybe reserve pokemon, which cant fight until another pokemon faints, so you can use it as a HM slave while it's not fighting.

I only need one HM slave. The other moves I disperse through my other Pokes. I happen to have Fly taught to all three of my legendary birds. It didn't seem fair to choose just one. :P

#29   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                            • Joined: 06-April 05
                                                            • AKA Me111

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:32 PM

View PostCaael, on Jul 23 2007, 01:01 PM, said:

Pokemon wouldn't faint if a piano fell on them, they would die. So how come they faint when some hench Dog goes and burns their face off.

In other words, more realism.

You want a game that contains electronic mice and lizards that have fire on their tails to be 'more realistic'?

#30   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                              • Joined: 21-July 04
                                                              • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:23 PM

^Nice. :P

I'd like to see a different perspective in battles. Rather than a cut away, close up action, I'd like to see my Pokemon actually fighting on the field, where the trainer had challenged me/where I met the wild Pokemon. That'd be awesome sauce.

#31   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                                • AKA Spam King

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:55 PM

The graphics would be god awful if they did that. Unless they actually put the battles on the touch screen and left the overhead view visible on the top screen. But that would still be pretty lame.

#32   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                                  • Posts: 11,988
                                                                  • Joined: 21-July 04
                                                                  • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:56 PM

If it was actually 3D I think it'd be alright, and no more of the invisible grid.

#33   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                                    • Posts: 11,279
                                                                    • Gender:Male
                                                                    • AKA Spam King

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:04 PM

Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

#34   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                                                                      • Posts: 3,165
                                                                      • Joined: 10-October 04
                                                                      • Location:Sydney, Australia
                                                                      • AKA watch

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:13 AM

But it's starting to show cracks. Like the numerous amounts of repeatitive WWII shooters. How are they going to make the Next-Gen appeal? Online was their biggest weapon IMO.

#35   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                                                        • Posts: 11,279
                                                                        • AKA Spam King

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:07 PM

The GTS wasn't a fix, it was an addition. But a useful one at that.

Page 1 of 1
                                                                        • You cannot start a new topic
                                                                        • You cannot reply to this topic