• You cannot reply to this topic

Made In China Fustration?

#1   Eugine 

• Master Adept
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:37 PM

With recent quality concerns towards 'Made In China' products, do you think it's time for companies to stop producing goods there just to make a higher profit?

I personally believe the Chinese need to get their act together if they really want to become the next superpower. China is filled with piracy (even my little country buys the real stuff (well sometimes). Shame in China >.<), and poor work ethics. If not everyday someone dies at some factory in China.

OMFG, the site logged me out, and I'm too pissed to retype the other stuff I typed.

#2   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
      • Group: Admin

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:42 PM

Always copy the text if you're posting a long one, helps when something like that happens. Trust me, I've got experience too :rolleyes:

That said, I don't think companies will stop outsourcing to China for what you said; it maximizes profits. What does it matter to the company if they pay 7 cents an hour to a Chinese worker, if that Wal-Mart can then bring the product to other markets and sell at the 19.99 "everyday wholesale price"? Exploitation of outsourced labor has become almost a staple for all major manufacturers and retailers, unfortunately, and I doubt that even the recent health risks in products would be enough to cause enough of a change.

#3   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
        • AKA Me111

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:55 PM

I'd agree. In the end, profit is the main aim in business.

#4   Julian 

• Chaos Lord
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Members

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:31 PM

Well, i'd say, when it comes down to quality in "made in china" products, im the best it gets >.o

Im sure the situation would eventually improve as more and more people are becoming aware of this problem. Until then, we should all be careful and try our best not to buy dumplings with beef flavored cardboard stuffing (no joke D:).

#5   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
            • Group: Moderator
            • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:37 PM

Profit, profit, profit. But China is poisoning our toys with lead. Shame on them.

#6   Ironsight 

• Loose cannon Cop with nothing to lose
              • AKA Darksword

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:01 AM

Their planning to make war on the world, and this is their first step towards world domination. D:

#7   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                • AKA watch

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:55 AM

View PostWind Dude, on Sep 1 2007, 03:37 PM, said:

Profit, profit, profit. But China is poisoning our toys with lead. Shame on them.

I was planning to make that point.
                Every few days starting from a few weeks ago a different company is recalling child toys because of lead levels. I think it started with Mattel.

Money Money Money, Money!

!~1900~!

#8   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                  • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                  • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:52 AM

Honestly, I'd much rather shell out the cash for something that will last a while, rather than spend a quarter of the price for something that'll last only a few months before breaking.

I mean, look at all the appliances that people had when your parents were kids. My grandma has an old Kirby vaccum cleaner that she never used, and it's worth about $1000. The thing is heavy, but I know for a fact that even after 30 years of sitting in a closet, it's still gonna run like new for 30 more. Same thing applies to cars. An old Ford 2-ton pickup with a steel body could be hit head on with an aluminum bodied sedan, and the only thing it would suffer would be some paint scratches. And I know that because it's actually happened.

Of course, there are rumors that China's product quality is increasing, or at least going to. Like in one Chinese company's copy of the iPhone (not Nokia's).

#9   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                    • AKA watch

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:34 AM

Toasty has a point, my parents still have their fridge and freezer from when they first got married, and they still work. As opposed to the newer one's they bought several years ago, the freezer has broken down twice and we just haven't bothered to fix it.
                    Same with our TV we bought 8 years ago, it's only had one hitch in that time. Again opposed to newer TV's which have to be replaced every few years.

#10   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
                    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                      • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:27 AM

View PostMr.T, on Sep 1 2007, 04:52 AM, said:

Honestly, I'd much rather shell out the cash for something that will last a while, rather than spend a quarter of the price for something that'll last only a few months before breaking.

I mean, look at all the appliances that people had when your parents were kids. My grandma has an old Kirby vaccum cleaner that she never used, and it's worth about $1000. The thing is heavy, but I know for a fact that even after 30 years of sitting in a closet, it's still gonna run like new for 30 more. Same thing applies to cars. An old Ford 2-ton pickup with a steel body could be hit head on with an aluminum bodied sedan, and the only thing it would suffer would be some paint scratches. And I know that because it's actually happened.

Of course, there are rumors that China's product quality is increasing, or at least going to. Like in one Chinese company's copy of the iPhone (not Nokia's).

Well, the rumor is that manufacturers can make refrigerators etc. that last 30+ years, but choose not to because of money.

Also, don't buy medicine from China. It could kill you.

#11   Tasuki 

• Slayer
                      • PipPipPipPipPip
                        • Interests:Anime,Swiming,Annoying peolple,Video Games,and anything pengiun or Japanese related

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:50 AM

Also chocolate it could have worms.

http://www.japanprobe.com/?p=2633

#12   Julian 

• Chaos Lord
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:27 PM

View PostFlamingDuck, on Sep 1 2007, 07:27 AM, said:

Also, don't buy medicine from China. It could kill you.

no way.... unless they're fake... but counterfit items usually (i think i've only heard of dog food with no nutrition value) never get imported. My parents usually buy chinese medicine over the ones in canada. There was this one time where my dad bought fake sleeping pills when he was in china.

#13   Nosferatu 

• Master Adept
                            • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:29 PM

View PostJulian, on Sep 1 2007, 08:27 PM, said:

no way.... unless they're fake... but counterfit items usually (i think i've only heard of dog food with no nutrition value) never get imported. My parents usually buy chinese medicine over the ones in canada. There was this one time where my dad bought fake sleeping pills when he was in china.

Fake sleeping pills?

And more like killer pet food. Like the problem with the food that I THINK killed, or just made seriously sick, a lot of pets here.

#14   Julian 

• Chaos Lord
                            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:40 PM

View PostNosferatu, on Sep 1 2007, 08:29 PM, said:

Fake sleeping pills?

And more like killer pet food. Like the problem with the food that I THINK killed, or just made seriously sick, a lot of pets here.

yeah i saw that on the news too... I think that only proves the defectiveness in products made in china (since im pretty sure that those dogs got sick due to malnutrition). I can understand medicine that doesnt work or doesnt work well but i dont think it can literally KILL u...

those fake sleeping pills didnt kill anyone (thank god), they just didnt work lol.

#15   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                                • Interests:.5% per annum.
                                • AKA Spam King

Posted 02 September 2007 - 01:02 AM

I'd be more worried about those 'traditional' Chinese medicines.

TIGER KILLERS!

#16   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                                  • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                                  • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:14 AM

The dogs didn't get sick from malnutrition, the dogfood was CONTAMINATED. It had some kind of chemical on it or something, and since most dog food companies use the same supplier to make the food for them, numerous brands were contaminated.

#17   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
                                    • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 03 September 2007 - 03:02 PM

View PostJulian, on Sep 1 2007, 11:27 PM, said:

I think it was cough medicine. The companies use a cheap fake glycerin stuff instead of the real stuff. Except the cheap stuff is toxic. And China won't do anything about it because they said that the companies weren't allowed to make cough syrup. Or something like that. It made sense if you get the entire story.

#18   ~Piers~ 

• New User

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:10 PM

Hi everyone ^^; I'm a new member, so hi!

Well... uh, in my opinion, China will eventually become a superpower regardless, because they sell items that are both cheap and usually good quality. Although, due to recent events, such as the toy recalls due to high amounts of lead, their reputation may be just a little tarnished... But this has happened only recently, so it may just be some kind of malfunction in the factories. As a matter of fact, China's factories aren't overfilled with workers. They also have robots and other machinery to do the work for them, so I don't know where you heard that myth that many people die in the factories :o . The wost that could happen is that a worker didn't read the MSDS properly and ends up dying due to improper protocol.

Can't argue about piracy, however... I don't really think that the black market and piracy is really all that bad. Some goods are actually JUST AS GOOD as those bought in stores, but cheaper! It is also quite easy to get you paws of DVDs of movies that haven't been released in theaters in North America, so that's a big bonus. (At the cost of a dollar)

In China, it is quite rare to hear of poor work ethics. Many of the Chinese have maintained their qualities and traditional values. I am quite sure that any accidents caused in the workplace are not caused by poor work ethics.

The country is also pretty much set for growth as a superpower... Around a year ago, they demonstrated their power by destroying a satellite of theirs with missiles. This caused large chunks of space junks to almost hit and damage neighboring satellites. They were trying to show that they were not to be trifled with, as they can instantly destroy the most common ways of communication among human beings.

Well, that's about it I guess...

Hope to be good friends!

#19   Nosferatu 

• Master Adept
                                        • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:20 PM

View PostMr.T, on Sep 2 2007, 04:14 AM, said:

The dogs didn't get sick from malnutrition, the dogfood was CONTAMINATED. It had some kind of chemical on it or something, and since most dog food companies use the same supplier to make the food for them, numerous brands were contaminated.

S'what I meant. I just have a crappy memory and couldn't remember the exact details. I knew there was something wrong with the food.

At least we all know the best things that come out of China. Video games! Whoo.

But seriously, why don't they have safety laws like we do? I mean, it's FOOD. You'd think they'd be a little more carful.

Hi to ~Piers~ by the way.

#20   Julian 

• Chaos Lord
                                        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:11 AM

Yikes, I never even knew about that O__O cough medicine?! Wow, that's pretty scary. Atleast people are becoming more and more aware about the possible consiquences that can come with purchasing china made products. Hopefully, these incidents would subside in due time.

View PostNosferatu, on Sep 3 2007, 05:20 PM, said:

But seriously, why don't they have safety laws like we do? I mean, it's FOOD. You'd think they'd be a little more carful.

I'm sure they do. The problem is probably the lack of reinforcement.

#21   Xelina 

• Berserker
                                          • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                                            • Interests:Anime: Trinity Blood, Bleach, and Samurai Champloo.<br />Manga: Xxx Holic, X/ 1999, and Dragon Knights<br />Game: Final Fantasy VII, .Hack GU, KH II, [b]Tales of the Abyss[/b]<br />---------------------<br />Favorite Characters: Sephiroth, Vincent, Leon/Squall, [b]JADE CURTISS[/b]<br />Favorite Online Game: RO<br />Favorite Colors: Blue, Purple, Black, Green<br />Favoirte Music: J-pop, Rock, Metal, J-rock, Pop.<br />Favorite all time artist: CLAMP<br />Favorite Band: System of a Down<br />Favorite Song: Kiss by a Rose, Sail (sp?)<br />Favorite Food: Chocolate<br />Favorite Word: Pie<br />---------------------<br />Total RPC: 5<br /><br />Names of RPC:<br /><br />Yuki Shadow (F)<br />Fay W. Sabakura (M)<br />Black Cat (F)<br />White Cat (M)<br />Fionn (M)

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:29 PM

I guess, being chinese and had live, in China, for several years, this is from personal experience of what I think about China's product.

I would trust the Traditional Chinese med, because you see the ingredients they put in the med, as they are prepared before your eyes. In China you never buy off the streets because most of the stuff they do sell on the streets are fake. Same goes with company that buys cheap and sells high in the US. Usually the chinese company would abuse their workers and the quality would drop because the workers are miss treated.

However, on another note, China thinks US's taboo list of Chinese goods is unfair, which I personally agrees with. The US had banned one of our cooking spices for meats, which we had use for thousands of years without a problem. Out comes US, claiming that it can spread disease and banned it for US import. Another was the banning of several vegetable. So in a way, I believe that these incidents are just ways to get back for US's unfair ban against several food products of China.

China has it's pros and cons. I personally believe that China is pretty much a crook because it's society is build upon conning people out of their money. It is no so much anymore because today China has so much money, but it was evident in the Mao Zedong's days. I also believe that China's government is kinda corrupted due to it's rash arresting tendency upon the smallest things. But it really isn't that bad now then it was around 10 or 15 years ago. Therefore, to my eyes, China is moving to a better direction than it has been for a while.

Anyway, China is going to become, or has became, a world power, as most country, USA, is pretty dependent on it's cheap labor. It is also true that China has the most percentage in the world's population as well and probably force it's children to study more then any other country out there. It has several factor already in it's favor, so it would be likely that it would become a world power no matter what the world thinks of it on it's ethnic.

#22   Ironsight 

• Loose cannon Cop with nothing to lose
                                              • AKA Darksword

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:37 AM

View PostXelina, on Oct 28 2007, 08:29 PM, said:

However, on another note, China thinks US's taboo list of Chinese goods is unfair, which I personally agrees with. The US had banned one of our cooking spices for meats, which we had use for thousands of years without a problem. Out comes US, claiming that it can spread disease and banned it for US import. Another was the banning of several vegetable. So in a way, I believe that these incidents are just ways to get back for US's unfair ban against several food products of China.

China looses some money, and they poison our food? I hope I never have to mess with the Chinese...

#23   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                                • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:08 AM

Contrary to what Xelina says, I doubt it was intentional. After all, (although China doesn't care. Everyone needs them now) it has given Western politicans a reason to denounce Chinese manufacturing. Also, this has removed some creditability. One CEO even commited suicide.

And DarkSword, you may not have to mess with the Chinese. But all Western companies, who frankly are greedy, corrupting and totally profit driven mess with them. So indirectly, you are messing with them. And you know what? China is loving it. ^.^

#24   Xelina 

• Berserker
                                                • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                  • Location:Look behind you~ &gt;3
                                                  • Interests:Anime: Trinity Blood, Bleach, and Samurai Champloo.<br />Manga: Xxx Holic, X/ 1999, and Dragon Knights<br />Game: Final Fantasy VII, .Hack GU, KH II, [b]Tales of the Abyss[/b]<br />---------------------<br />Favorite Characters: Sephiroth, Vincent, Leon/Squall, [b]JADE CURTISS[/b]<br />Favorite Online Game: RO<br />Favorite Colors: Blue, Purple, Black, Green<br />Favoirte Music: J-pop, Rock, Metal, J-rock, Pop.<br />Favorite all time artist: CLAMP<br />Favorite Band: System of a Down<br />Favorite Song: Kiss by a Rose, Sail (sp?)<br />Favorite Food: Chocolate<br />Favorite Word: Pie<br />---------------------<br />Total RPC: 5<br /><br />Names of RPC:<br /><br />Yuki Shadow (F)<br />Fay W. Sabakura (M)<br />Black Cat (F)<br />White Cat (M)<br />Fionn (M)

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:18 PM

Well anyway, I do have a rather bitter view on China.... >3>;

It probably is not intentional, but I'm sure China is not going to change it's way anyway.

Bottom point is, the business world is one cruel world, build upon the poor man's sweat and blood so others can live in comfort.

#25   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                                    • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:11 PM

That is the unfortunate truth. All great civilizations were built that way. Price to pay for being human I guess.

Anyway, I haven't heard anything messy relating to Chinese goods in a while. Recently China has been trying to get its act together imo. The Cabinet shuffle was suppose to give the government a more 'modern' view on development.
                                                    Also, IIRC, it seems like more and more companies are now outsourcing to Singapore rather than China, because of the higher (yet more more expensive) quality production. China has to stay competitive in todays market, and losing its strength to smaller Asian countries isn't good. That'll atleat prompt them to improve their standards?

#26   Xelina 

• Berserker
                                                    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                      • Location:Look behind you~ &gt;3

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:19 PM

They'll change when their people began to protest. Chinese, and most Asians are the stubbornest people I ever know. Their pride would not bend to the demands of the world, nor would their morals would. Only when the youth demands for change would they even consider it, but most probably the older generation would go against it. Because the older generation are still the majority they have more control over things then the youth. In China, it's younger generation doesn't even talk about politics because they know they can't change it unless they gain a voice in their home country. That is why nothing change as much over the years because the other voices are being oppressed.

I do think they will change, but I doubt it would be anytime soon.

#27   Ravenblade 

• Disciple
                                                        • Joined: 08-November 04

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:28 PM

*revives cos i missed a debate on China ;-;!!!*

And also cos I have some vaguely new info for all of you =D The recent CCP gathering in China resulted in Hu Jintao proclaiming his intention to double the salaries of all Chinese by 2020 - This means that China is undergoing transitions from being a manufacturing country to a consumer based one. It also means that companies will start looking for their cheap labour elsewhere *coughIndiacough*

So i guess you all have nothing to worry about from your rather irrational fears regarding chinese medicine. Oh and on that note, I have an american friend in China who was in a car accident and was paralysed from the neck down - the US health service said they couldnt do anything for her - she went to China and she's now regained full movement in her upper body through Chinese techniques. Hopefully one day she might walk again.

Just goes to show how arrogant we are, thinking our health services are better cos we use modern medicine. You know people live longer over there too?

#28   Moonear 

• Disciple
                                                          • Joined: 06-October 07
                                                          • Location:LongGuy Land

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:07 PM

http://youtube.com/w...feature=related
                                                          It's pretty sad that CHina needs to make an exact copy of the Wii with one letter different and all the same games, just with pictures swapped.

#29   Laharl 

• Banned
                                                            • Joined: 05-September 05
                                                            • Location:where horses with broken legs go =D
                                                            • Interests:research it
                                                            • AKA Dullahan

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:15 PM

View PostRavenblade, on Dec 13 2007, 07:28 PM, said:

Just goes to show how arrogant we are, thinking our health services are better cos we use modern medicine. You know people live longer over there too?

that would be because the diet is a lot healthier than burgers and the like.

And the populace isnt encouraged to own a gun.

#30   Ravenblade 

• Disciple
                                                              • Joined: 08-November 04

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:22 PM

True enough, But it also has a lot to do with Tai Qi - many old people in China do it to keep themselves healthy.

Page 1 of 1
                                                              • You cannot start a new topic
                                                              • You cannot reply to this topic