• This topic is locked

Review a game

#1   Caael 

• Master Adept
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:16 AM

Any game, old, new, last completed, first completed, it doesnt matter. Write a review for any game you like.

I dont know what the point in this thread is, but i'm sure it will have a use at some point :D

Assassins Creed

First off, I borrowed this game from a friend. I've completed it and refused to give it back because I love it so much.

Gameplay. The gameplay on Assassins Creed is very fun, and polished off. The game is pretty much composed of 3 stages. Stage one is go to the city and find out who you're supposed to be Assassinating. Stage two is to go around the city completing little sub-missions to find out where your Assassination target is. Stage 3 is finding him and Assassinating them, then running back to your Bureau. Unfortunately, this is repeated for the whole game. If you like repetition in games ( like me) then you'll love this game. If not, you'll complete the first Assassination, get to the second one and realise that you're doing the same thing.

The combat system is alright, but could be much better. Mostly, fighting just involves hammering the X button as fast as possible, but later on as you unlock different abilities you get the options to guard, dodge, counter, chain attack, strong attack, throw, guard-break. There's lots of abilities you can use, but if you're like me you'll choose one ability and repeatedly use it. As soon as you get the counter move, the game might as well put its hands in the air and give up because it makes combat a joke. Hold down guard, and when the enemy is about to attack, press X and you'll peform an awesome counter-attack. These look pretty, as you see Altair ducking and swerving around blades and mercilessly destroying opponents, but it all gets a bit shallow after a while. Amusing as it is to watch Altair slap a soldier round the face and then stab him, it gets to the point that you purposely run from fights just to avoid having to go through the mindless process again.

The AI is quite poor also; in a fight, soldiers will patiently wait their turn to attack you. But sometimes, frustratingly, they'll either be incredibly dim-witted or sharp. On one occassion, you can go up behind somebody, stealth assassinate them and walk off, in plain sight of a guard and he'll stand around shouting 'Who did this?' despite the fact that he saw you kill him. Other times you'll do exactly the same thing, except without a guard in sight and then a guard will spontaniously appear out of an alleyway, accusing you of murder drawing you into a fight.

The graphics for Assassins Creed are some of the best on 360. The character models are well detailed, the massive environments and cities are immense, and each one is packed with life. Sitting on top of a massive watchtower and surveying a city is literally breathtaking. The character animations for Altair are also very well done; climbing up walls looks very natural and doesnt look out of place or forced at all. The sound is also very high quality; the voice acting is perfect, Ubisoft had the accents nailed. When you're walking in a marketplace, you'll hear the massive crowd bustling and echoing off the walls. The noise of weapons clashing sounds realistic, and it's incredibly satisfying to hear the shing of your blade meeting the neck of an unsuspecting soldier.

This is a very good game in esscence, and I dont think most people have experienced it the way they should; most people stop after the 2nd or 3rd assassination because it's all the same. If you persevere and get to the end, you wont be dissapointed. This brings me onto the most important part of this review; if you cant find it cheap, rent it. It's not worth buying because it has no replay value whatsoever. If you're obsessed with collecting, then there are templars and flags scattered everywhere, but there's really not much point in collecting them. If you're the person who can replay games to their heart's content without getting bored, go ahead and buy it. If you're the majority of the gaming population, then rent it for a bit. For what it is, it's not worth the £40 price tag. If you rent it, you can experience a (in my opinion) unmissable gaming experience. Unfortunately most people end up buying it and then selling it on because they got bored. Rent it, complete it, take it back, I guarantee you will not be dissapointed.

#2   Laharl 

• Banned
      • Interests:research it
      • AKA Dullahan

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:36 PM

i wont review a game but i will review your thread making skills

FAIL OUT OF TEN

#3   Caael 

• Master Adept
        • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:13 PM

Ah yes XD

#4   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
          • Group: Admin

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:51 PM

Touche Laharl. Caael, feel free to post that review in that topic.

Page 1 of 1
          • You cannot start a new topic
          • This topic is locked