Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dark Knight Kid Friendly?

#1   Gio 

• Disciple
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Interests:Video games, music, drumming, and just chilling with my friends.

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:27 PM

http://kids.yahoo.com/parents/blog/1001/14...ght%27+for+Kids?

It's not a comic book movie.

That's the first thing you should know when your kids ask to see "The Dark Knight," this summer's biggest blockbuster. The film is vastly more true to Frank Miller's famous alternative view of The Batman than to the zap-pow camp of Adam West's TV portrayal and sanitized DC comics that filled our childhood.

So how do you answer? Should your children see "The Dark Knight?" We turned first to our resident film fanatic and visual designer, Chuck Kim, the first of the Yahoo! Kids team to see the box office smash.

"I would not take a kid to see 'The Dark Knight,' said Chuck. "The Joker and Two-Face alone could give a kid nightmares." The oft-mentioned violence is not of one of gore, he says, but more of the heart—and thus potentially more terrifying. "The main thing is that it is a very dark movie," Chuck concludes."There's no ray of hope for the city." He recommends kids be 14 or older to see the film.

Such cautions seem to be the consensus, beginning with movie's star, Christian Bale, who said this on the "Today Show:"

"It’s quite haunting. It’s something which will stay with you for quite a while afterward. I’m not sure how much a child will be oblivious to that. I would say starting at about 9, maybe 10 years old may be an appropriate age for kids to be able to deal with this.”

A sampling of other comments:

* "'Dark Knight' is a staggeringly violent and disturbing film. Thought-provoking for adults, but potentially terrifying for children," says Jeffrey Weiss of The Dallas Morning News. "The PG-13 rating should offer some warning, yes. But this film dances just south of an R in my book."

* "This film is not for children, and I would discourage parents from taking anyone under 12 to see this movie," writes Jim Pappas of The Trades.com. “'The Dark Knight' offers a glimpse into the darker places within each of us, which might be cathartic for some, but others will simply be afraid."

* "The movie is sadistic, violent, disturbing and also one of the best and biggest movies of the year," according to MoviesOnline.ca. "That all said, 3 out of 4 of those components are absolutely not suitable for young children... regardless of how the MPAA rated the movie."

Ultimately, the "Dark Knight" decision depends upon you, your children and your relationships with them. There are children at age 14 (and I was one) who would be deeply troubled by the darkness of the film. And there are children of 10 who could not only face down the terror but even discuss some of the film's layered themes.

In all cases, we suggest talking with your children about "The Dark Knight." Be sure they understand that it is not a typical comic book movie and that it is intended for grown-ups. And should you permit them to see the film, we strongly recommend discussing it afterwards; our Common Sense Media review has some excellent starting points.

So basically some parents think that this movie is scary. And that children should be 14 years or older to see it. I personally think that is ridiculous.

What do you all think?

#2   Drizzy Drake 

• God
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Veterans
      • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:05 AM

The movie was kickass. TWO FACE NIGGAS!!!

It wasn't really frightening to me, but that's not surprising considering my age, but I could see some 11 year-olds getting freaked out. Especially at TWO FACE.

Yes, I'm happy Two Face was in.

#3   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
        • Interests:.5% per annum.
        • AKA Spam King

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:10 AM

I don't want to think about what The Penguin would have been like. xD

#4   Legolastom 

• Disciple
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2008 - 02:39 AM

Rocket penguin army... eugh.

#5   Riyna 

• New User

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:46 AM

Two-Face was amazing. My dad and I are really big Batman fans--though he's more comic book based while I'm a fan of The Animated Series--and the scene with Harvey in the hospital, he kept craning our heads to get a better look at his face . And when he turned so we could see the other side, I swear we both gasped like the geeks we are.

Also? Heath Ledger made an awesome Joker. (But that might be because I'm a huge Joker fan. XD)"I can make this pencil disappear!"

#6   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
              • AKA Spam King

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:00 AM

My brother just bought this on Blu-ray, so I'm looking forward to seeing it myself.

#7   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:14 AM

Absolutely awesome movie, but I don't think it's suitable for anyone under the age of 13 or 14.

It wasn't scary at all to me, nor did it send shivers down my spine, or even give me nightmares. But to someone a few years younger than me, it could scare the hell out of them. Especially two face. A lot of younger kids probably wouldn't understand entirely what the Joker was doing, but burnt and torn flesh like two-face's can be creppy to them.

Though I'm well aware that there's 11 and 12 year olds who could handle this (I was one of them, though two face would've creeped me out somewhat). they're just few and far between.

And the joker was awesome.

#8   Caael 

• Master Adept
                  • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:14 AM

View PostSplit Infinity, on Aug 12 2008, 10:00 AM, said:

My brother just bought this on Blu-ray, so I'm looking forward to seeing it myself.

Pirated, no doubt.

#9   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                    • AKA Me111

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:36 AM

I saw it in Cornwall. Great movie, though I'd agree with the papers when they argue against the 12A rating it got here.

#10   kate 

• Master Adept
                      • Interests:rpgs (duh :P), internet (my precioussss)...other things computer related...and penguins! (penguin'd)
                      • AKA The Best Woman Ever.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:06 PM

yeah not so much for the youngins. K could someone explain to me why that pencil scene is supposedly so good? It didn't seem funny or smart or anything when I watched it. Like I mean wasn't it a little obvious what he was going to do with the pencil?

#11   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                        • AKA Me111

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:07 PM

It's just how sudden it is, and the fact that he made it disappear in an unusual way. None of the other bad people on screen seemed to care though.

#12   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                          • AKA Spam King

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:28 PM

View PostCaael, on Aug 12 2008, 09:14 PM, said:

Pirated, no doubt.

Yeah that's what I thought. I should take a closer look at the box. :S

#13   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                            • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:39 PM

Well, it hasn't been released yet, so it HAS to be pirated. Oh well, I have Pinapple Express already, and it's been out for 5 days, so Dark Knight is definetly out there.

#14   Werebarrret/St Jimmy 

• Slayer
                            • PipPipPipPipPip
                              • Location:one of the 27 states I am not wanted in.
                              • Interests:Eating, sleeping, drinking, being random, being insane, being randomly insane, breaking out of asylums, playing basketball. playing football, RPGs/

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:00 PM

View Postkate, on Aug 12 2008, 12:06 PM, said:

yeah not so much for the youngins. K could someone explain to me why that pencil scene is supposedly so good? It didn't seem funny or smart or anything when I watched it. Like I mean wasn't it a little obvious what he was going to do with the pencil?

It was awesome and kickas because someone was murdered with an EFFING PENCIL!

Srsly, at my hunter safety class last week, the guy held up a 12 gauge and a pencil, and said "what's the difference between these" and I said "only the Joker can kill you with a pencil."

Anyone moron can kill any other moron with a gun, but it takses a speical kind of sick,twisted, freak moron to kill with an EFFINT PENCIL

besides, teh Cell Phone scene's the best one

Page 1 of 1
                              • You cannot start a new topic
                              • You cannot reply to this topic