Company of Heroes Real-time Strategy

#1   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • Interests:Video Games & Hentai
    • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:08 PM

Hands down the best RTS I have ever played; this game blew me away. Let me explain the magnitude of this blowing away. I hate games based on the World Wars because I'm sick of using the same damn ****ty guns in the same damn locations with the same damn "oh my god this is so cruel and gritty just like real war lolololol" themes. Company of Heroes is based in this period, but the game is so good that I can actually ignore this fa*gotry.

So anyway, I'm trying to play this game frequently so it can be the first RTS game I do not suck on. I was curious to see if anyone else on this forum is intelligent enough to own a copy so that we may play together. Feel free to discuss which faction you enjoy using most, and which units are most awesome. I recently purchased Opposing Fronts (expansion) so I've been messing around with the British forces, and I must say they're great fun to play with.

#2   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
      • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
      • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:30 PM

It came with my graphics card.

Awesome game, and also the first game I ever played on my new computer. :D

I got quite a ways in the game, but then **** happened and I had to re-install XP. I backed up all the files and stuff, but I haven't re-installed it yet.

If I played against you online though, I'm pretty sure I'd lose. =/

#3   Ironsight 

• Loose cannon Cop with nothing to lose
        • AKA Darksword

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:08 AM

A family member of mine got this game, but I've never played it.

#4   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
          • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:10 AM

View PostToasty, on Jan 2 2009, 02:30 AM, said:

It came with my graphics card.

Awesome game, and also the first game I ever played on my new computer. :D

I got quite a ways in the game, but then **** happened and I had to re-install XP. I backed up all the files and stuff, but I haven't re-installed it yet.

If I played against you online though, I'm pretty sure I'd lose. =/

I've had to re-install mine which made me restart the campaign. Now personally I never complete compaigns on RTS games, I just like doing Skirmish or online multiplayer. But this game's campaign is like playing an RTS version of Call of Duty 2, so I want this to be the first game I finish the singleplayer on. Add me on Steam or MSN so we can sort out a game or two some day, I don't know if I can beat you or not but I know I'm pretty ****. So unless you're even ****ter, it should be a good game.

View PostMiley Cyrus, on Jan 2 2009, 07:08 AM, said:

A family member of mine got this game, but I've never played it.

I suggest you install it, the game is ranked at the top of GameRankings' RTS list, and has a Metacritic score of 92. The actual gameplay mechanics are great, the whole capturing points around the map for resources, but being able to cut off your enemy's resources by strategically attacking certain positions is really well thought out. You need a lot of micro to play this game well, as you need to flank tanks and hit them in the rear armour to take them down fast. Trust me, just install it and you'll thank me.

#5   Toasty 

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:00 PM

I re-installed it today, and I'm on the Carentan map. The second half of it.

#6   Ironsight 

• AKA Darksword

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:01 PM

I'm going back to my Dad's house tomorrow, so I'll be able to install it and try the game out.

#7   Toasty 

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:05 AM

I thought I'd be clever and plant a crapload of mines in the first half of the level to prepare for the second half (you'll know what I mean when you get there), and so I spent a crapload of resources doing that.

Bad idea. Just save up as much as you can and make sure you can set everything up withing 7 minutes. However, it's not a bad idea to fortify the left bridge beforehand. Nothing much happens aroud there until the second half anyway.

Talking about Carentan btw.

#8   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
                  • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:29 AM

View PostToasty, on Jan 5 2009, 08:05 AM, said:

I thought I'd be clever and plant a crapload of mines in the first half of the level to prepare for the second half (you'll know what I mean when you get there), and so I spent a crapload of resources doing that.

Bad idea. Just save up as much as you can and make sure you can set everything up withing 7 minutes. However, it's not a bad idea to fortify the left bridge beforehand. Nothing much happens aroud there until the second half anyway.

Talking about Carentan btw.

I'm guessing Carentan is the map with three bridges in the middle, yes? What my friend usually does is destroy one bridge and set up defenses on the other two when playing control points. Let me just point out that the reason why Company of Heroes is praised so much is that it's highly dependant on micro and tactics. This means never spam something. Unlike C&C you can't just train a big swarm of units and rush a base.

The most you'll ever see is someone have four tanks at once, but that's nothing two AT guns can't handle. My point is, you need to use everything you build wisely, wasting resources means your opponent will have be able to afford stronger units before you, which translates into your weaker units being teared apart until you can tech to his level and counter it. I'm awful at this game, but that much I know. I suggest you visit GameReplays and download some of the expert replays on there, see how the no-lives play.

#9   Toasty 

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:58 AM

I went accross the far right bridge with some riflemen and a mortar to set up mines around the beginning of the roads onto the map, and along the bridges, and I placed a lot of them. Needless to say, most of them were oblitterated pretty quickly by a small number of enemy troops.

But I did capture the strategic points, and I took out some units around the square with my mortar.

And I didn't know you could destroy bridges. =/ I always thought they weren't a destructible part of the map.

#10   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
                      • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:46 AM

View PostToasty, on Jan 6 2009, 07:58 AM, said:

I went accross the far right bridge with some riflemen and a mortar to set up mines around the beginning of the roads onto the map, and along the bridges, and I placed a lot of them. Needless to say, most of them were oblitterated pretty quickly by a small number of enemy troops.

But I did capture the strategic points, and I took out some units around the square with my mortar.
                      And I didn't know you could destroy bridges. =/ I always thought they weren't a destructible part of the map.

Relic went to some interesting lengths to ensure this game is as realistic as possible while also being very balanced and enjoyable. A good combination to hold down strategic points is to position a squad or structure which can pin its target, and combine that with a mortar which can easily kill those troops while they are pinned.

The best way to see how well this works is to place a heavy machine gun nest facing a capture point, and place a moprtar right behind it. When an enemy is trying to capture that point, the nest will pin them, stopping them from capping and escaping, while the mortar lays down the killing blow. The enemy can retreat, but they will take heavy casualties and fail the capture attempt.

Add me on MSN or Steam so we can get a game or two together.

#11   Ironsight 

• AKA Darksword

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:51 AM

I was going to play this today until I was confronted with an ungodly amount of patches I need to download first. I'll get to try it tommorow hopefully.

#12   Toasty 

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:16 AM

Yeah, the patches are a *****. First time I had to install them it took me a good few hours

#13   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
                            • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:00 PM

Most of the patches are small, but there are two patches which make you want to find the closest object and hump it to help pass the time.

#14   Ironsight 

• AKA Darksword

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:11 AM

Alright, so I tried the game today. I did a couple of missions, and decided it was pretty fun, even though I suck at it.

Page 1 of 1
                              • You cannot start a new topic
                              • You cannot reply to this topic