• You cannot reply to this topic

Gym

#1   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • AKA watch

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:48 AM

So I did a search and thought we had a gym or workout topic or something, and we kind of have, but they were more or less suited to one members questions or issues. I know from Facebook and just observation here we some some members who belong to a gym or martial arts or whatever.

Post whatever you feel, workout routine, sticking points, diet, anything you want to share.

My current plan is 4 days a week with an optional day. My ideal week would pan out (days are interchangeable)

Monday -
    Spin class - 45 minutes - cardio
    The guy who does Monday does a few sprints but tends to focus on slow beats with heavy load for muscular endurance, which is a nice easier way to start the week then coughing out my heart and lungs.

Torso
    Shoulders, Upper back and Pecs.
    Three exercises per body part with 3 sets, ranging normally from 8-10 reps.
    Favourite is doing bench for Pecs, then after exhaustion for current weight, drop 10kg and repeat until just the bar.

Tuesday -
    Rowing machine - 30 minutes/5Km - Cardio

Arms-
    Biceps and Triceps, ranging from full body dips to ez-curls, skull crushers and Zottman curls
    Same format as Torso.

Wednesday -
    Spin class - Same as Monday except the Wednesday girl is completely focused on fitness so it's non-stop sprints and movement, very few rest tracks or slow beat heavy load.
    Or
    Treadmill
    Forty minutes, take away the 10 minutes for warm up and cool down I hit about 4/4.5km.
    I would like to interval train but am content to just jog.

Core -
    Core program is lacking currently, do obliques, back and abs (upper and lower), can't seem to find a good exercise for obliques and a better one for upper abs.

Thursday/Friday

Rest one day, take the bike out on the road for 40 minutes the other day.

Saturday
    Spin Class
    A combination of Monday and Wednesdays class.

Legs
    Only free weights for legs, squats, lunges, dead lifts and ass-to-grass.

That's about my week.
    Joined the gym last November, could count the amount of times I've had fast food since then, I almost completely drink water, less then a 345ml can of soft drink a week, makes me feel sick now. Still like my snacks but I have a container full of mixed nuts, and dried apricot and banana to try to minimise that.
    Also am on 20-25g of WPI after a workout and at night after a workout.

Current goals?
    Using this before I started my BMI was 22.2, is now 20.7, didn't think I could really lose weight but I lost about 5-6Kg in my first month and stayed around 67Kg since then. Would like to get some more weight of from my core so my abs can start to show, and get my arms to develop as fast as the rest of me.

#2   I'm Always BROKE 

• Master Adept
      • AKA Fire Dude, Diddy Kong

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:11 AM

My routine is kinda fucked right now. I excersie my lungs too much at the moment. :( But good topic.

Easter had my gym closed for a while, and I ate a lot so I feel fat as fuck. Also, I had a shoulder injury for a while in my left shoulder which made me weaker overall. Tuesday I my programm was like this:

Chest:
      Flat Bench
      Incline Bench
      Decline Bench
      Dip
      Cable Cross

Broceps:
      Incline DB Curlz
      EZ Bar Curlz
      Isolation

Legs:
      Squatz
      Legg press
      Calve raise machine
      Leg curl

Today I'll be working on my back, shoulders and abs. Planning on doing some pull down varations, barbell rows, overhead press and maybe I'll do some triceps afterwards cause they feel sucky atm. Could throw in some deadlifts in as well, cause I did legs 2 days ago from now.

Goal:
      Get as cut as possible for summer. I weigh 80 kgs now, I wanna maintain that weight but get more cut around the abs and get bigger especially around the shoulders and chest. Trying to eat well, sleep better and smoke less. Also, I wanna be able to do pull ups and all body weight excercises easily (can do the dip good most of the time, but not always pull ups).

Watch you could try the Plank excercise. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MHQmRINu4jU . When I did this one for the first time.. damn I felt it! Kept it in my programm ever since.

#3   Caael 

• Master Adept
        • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:33 AM

I'm too poor to go to a gym so I just do upper body & arms stuff every other day.

#4   Lightning Star 

• Master Adept
          • Interests:I've got hobby A.D.D.
          • AKA lightningstar/Icy

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:59 AM

I try to make it to the gym to use the eliptical machines and work for 30 mins or 330 calories, whichever comes first.

Then I work Obliques 10 reps, increasing my weight by 5lbs for 3 sets.
          Lower abs: Planks (30 sec.), Reverse crunch (15 reps), sit ups (30 reps).

Sometimes I'll use the machines for arms if I'm feeling motivated, haha.

Though I haven't gone to the gym in about 2 weeks since school and other shit has taken up my time, but I'm hoping to return next week since I won't have this massive paper hanging over me anymore.

#5   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
            • Group: Moderator
            • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

Haven't had the motivation, or sometimes the time even if I want to, to get myself to the gym. But really what I want to focus on is getting my cardio system back up to where it used to be, and trim off some fat I've gained after slouching through a depressing summer and then being inactive in the winter.

Lately what I've been doing, lame as it might sound, is jumping jacks and sit ups in my backyard for twenty minutes. I do as many jumping jacks as I can, as long as I can, when I get tired I lay down and do sit ups until I'm not too tired anymore, then go back to jumping jacks. It seems to be a better workout than it sounds on paper so far.

#6   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
              • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
              • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:40 PM

I go to a martial arts class fairly regularly, but it's kind of hit and miss when it comes to workouts. Some days it's brutal. some days we don't do ANY workout, and other days it's kind of just right.

Either way, the first hour is always cardio with three 1 minute breaks, and that's on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. After the first hour on Tuesday and Thursday, we practice martial arts. Sometimes that involves sparring (either with sticks, gloves, or on your knees using just ground techniques), but about half the time it doesn't.

However, every time we've done ground sparring, it's worn me out to the point that my body literally goes part way into a state of shock. I start feeling dizzy, my eyesight goes a bit, and my limbs are all shaky. But eating some carbs always takes care of that pretty quickly, which just means that I used up all of the ATP and carbs stored in my muscles. Which in turn means that it was a good workout. :(

Anyway, I plan on doing a lot of jogging and running over the summer. My endurance sucks, and I need to do something about it. :\

#7   Thanatos 

• Knight
              • PipPip
                • Group: Members

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

Right now, I'm doing the P90X. It's a lot of fun and it really works you out.
                The motto is awesome too, "Do your best, and forget the rest."
                I did Yoga today...yes...Yoga.
                Even though it sounds cheesy as all get out, Yoga actually is pretty tough stuff.
                It's actually the hardest out of the 6 that I do a week.
                Here's what it looks like for me right now:

Monday
                Chest and Back Exercise, along with Ab Ripper X

Tuesday
                Plyometrics

Wednesday
                Shoulders and Arms, Ab Ripper X

Thursday
                Yoga X

Friday
                Legs and Back, Ab Ripper X

Saturday
                Kenpo X

Sunday
                Rest or Stretch X

Even though it's tough stuff, I'm doing the best I can and will be able to do all of it at the end of the 90 days.
                It also changes every 4 weeks, and I'm on Week 2.
                The diet is pretty strict with lots of protein and low carbs, which I'm mostly following with the protein and having not too many carbs.
                I feel a lot more energy in my system now than I ever have in the past 5 years, so I know it's working, it's just a matter of time before the weight starts to fall off.

#8   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:30 PM

I have really poor cardio after spending fall and winter semester spending all my time on school. So now I'm keeping it basic for the first part of summer. This is what I got:

Monday/Wednesday/Friday:

Spartacus Weight Circuit (yes, it's actually called that)

Every Other Day:

10 minutes bike (or run), curls, core

#9   Lightning Star 

• Master Adept
                    • AKA lightningstar/Icy

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:28 PM

My whole workout is basically just to try to slim up my figure and get in shape. I'm trying to get rid of some belly fat, hence the ab work outs and general cardiovascular exercise is great for burning fat, hence the running. I've been running since last summer and kept with it, and as a result I can run further without stopping. I've also lost 20 lbs since my HS graduation last May, and I'm hoping to lose about 20 more to get my goal. (I was borderline overweight, now I'm normal. If I lose any more than 20-25 lbs I'd be underweight.)

#10   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                      • AKA watch

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:01 AM

View PostDiddy Kong, on Apr 8 2010, 09:11 PM, said:

Watch you could try the Plank excercise. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MHQmRINu4jU . When I did this one for the first time.. damn I felt it! Kept it in my programm ever since.

I done that before, I call it the bridge, I do some variations with a upturned bosu though to make it harder to stay still, if you want a real challange, stick your feet on a fit ball and hands on either side of a upturned bosu.
                      With my problem I meant more trouble with the crunch/situp area. I am a fan of hanging leg raise for the lowers, but don't really have a routine for the uppers.

For people here who are running heaps for whatever reason, have you tried interval training? From what I've been told about it it started because apparently Soccer players are the most fit of all athletes because of the combination of jogging, running and sprinting. It basically is, change the jogging duration depending on how fit you are, jog/run for 3 minutes, sprint for 30 seconds and repeat for your whole workout.

I'm a bit stuck with mine. I'm trying to drop a bit of weight to tone up my abs and to bulk up, but I'm told by a Personal Trainer that all the cardio I do isn't helping with the bulking up because of stress hormones or some rubbish along those lines.

#11   I'm Always BROKE 

• Master Adept

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:36 AM

Now that the weather gets better I'm also thinking of doing some jogging.

Cardio doesn't really screw up your bulking watch, but remind that buling up means that you eat more calories than you burn. If you do too much cardio, you'll likely burn more than you eat thus you lose weight.

Strenght training is as good as cardio for burning fat. I cannot imagine any of you obsese, so strenght training alone is good if you want a cut look. You can still do cardio, but lifting should be your main focus.

#12   Lightning Star 

• Master Adept
                          • AKA lightningstar/Icy

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:56 AM

I feel so out of place. Work outs designed to lose weight are different between men and women for a reason. I can weight lift all I want, but cardio has shown me the best results when it comes to weight loss, and it seems to be working so, meh. I've done interval training before, but I actually prefer to run for endurance. It's sort of a mental exercise of will power as well as a physical, and I come out of it feeling good in both senses.

Actually, I've been wondering what the machine I use is called. It's not an elliptical, but its called an AMT- Adaptive motion trainer. I like it because you can change your stride length and pace: http://www.precor.co.../en/amt/amt100i. You can even change the resistance for intervals, and see how many calories you're burning per minute (I try to do about 11-12) I always end up having to bring a towel XD

One thing that irritates me most about going to the gym though is the fact that it's the rec center at my school. I don't get why the girls there feel the need to wear cut T-shirts with their sorority logos on them, or apply makeup before getting on the treadmills. A good workout will have them sweating off all makeup and wishing they hadn't worn those stupid cotton shirts >>

#13   I'm Always BROKE 

• Master Adept

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:04 AM

I go to the wrong gym apperantly. :joy:

But yeah, a good cardio workout should make you sweaty. Which is why I don't like it. At least, in the gym. I like running outside, but the weather wasn't good here for months so...

I'll see if I still have energy tonight after work to go for a run afterwards.

#14   gsninja 

• Master Adept
                              • Interests:Inside your pants.

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:14 PM

My entire workout focuses pretty much on just bulking up my upper body and nothing else. I don't need to lose weight/slim down, and I love to lift weights. I started working out in June and I'm not a scrawny kid anymore, so I'm happy lol. I generally work out 4-5 days a week for at least an hour a day. My regiment goes like this:

-Monday: Biceps and Back
                              -Tuesday: Chest, Triceps, and Shoulders
                              -Wednesday: Biceps and Abs
                              -Thursday: Chest and Triceps
                              -Friday: Free-for-All, but no chest. Usually do my back and shoulders on these days.

I only do my chest two times a week, which is when I bench, hard. Apart from that, I kinda mix it up a bit, but the focus is all on my arms, shoulders, chest, and back. I work my abs only every so often and I usually warm up by running a mile on the treadmill before hitting the weights.

#15   I'm Always BROKE 

• Master Adept

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:27 PM

I wanna do chest tomorrow again as well. Maybe shoulders to, but my triceps are pretty sore, as are my abs.

But that seems like a solid programm gsn. :joy: Keep lifting bra.

#16   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                                  • AKA watch

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

View PostDiddy Kong, on Apr 9 2010, 09:36 PM, said:

Now that the weather gets better I'm also thinking of doing some jogging.

Cardio doesn't really screw up your bulking watch, but remind that buling up means that you eat more calories than you burn. If you do too much cardio, you'll likely burn more than you eat thus you lose weight.

Strenght training is as good as cardio for burning fat. I cannot imagine any of you obsese, so strenght training alone is good if you want a cut look. You can still do cardio, but lifting should be your main focus.

Wouldn't eating more calories add on fat though?
                                  I'm a bit weird I think, I've always done some form of sport when I was in school and that so I'm used to being fit, so I want to maintain and get fitter, but at the same time want to bulk and tone so yea, not sure if you can have both. I know I need to cut out some cardio so I get more time downstairs with the weights, my timetable is
                                  Arrive gym at 6am
                                  Cardio till normally 6:40am, 6:50 if I do a spin class
                                  Weights until 7:10-15
                                  Then shower and leave for work.

So that 20-30 minutes doesn't leave me enough time.

I'm not sure you're leaving enough rest time in between workouts Gsn, when I started I was doing 2 workouts 3 times a week, then went to 3 workouts 2 times a week, now do 4 workouts once a week, leaving 7 days of recovery, which is when muscles grow. The idea with it though is that you absolutely punish yourself each workout, which is rewarding when my chest is still tight and sore 4-5 days after.

Side note, did arms yesterday, same as last few weeks, my triceps are sore but not my biceps, but I lifted to exhaustion. Don't get it.

#17   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:07 PM

Having more frequent shorter recoveries is much better than infrequent longer ones. If you leave the recovery longer, you aren't allowing regrowth before going again, meaning you eat into muscle before it grows. However with shorter more frequent recoveries, you're building much faster cumulatively.

#18   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                                      • AKA watch

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:34 PM

Muscle doesn't grow unless it rests and repairs, it can't rest if it's being used every second day.
                                      And to me your second sentence makes no sense at all. If I leave a longer recovery, how am I not leaving time for regrowth?

#19   gsninja 

• Master Adept

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:57 PM

View PostDiddy Kong, on Apr 9 2010, 04:27 PM, said:

I wanna do chest tomorrow again as well. Maybe shoulders to, but my triceps are pretty sore, as are my abs.

But that seems like a solid programm gsn. :joy: Keep lifting bra.

Haha, thanks dude. It's been working pretty well for me so far.

View PostMy Best Wishes, on Apr 10 2010, 05:52 PM, said:

I'm not sure you're leaving enough rest time in between workouts Gsn, when I started I was doing 2 workouts 3 times a week, then went to 3 workouts 2 times a week, now do 4 workouts once a week, leaving 7 days of recovery, which is when muscles grow. The idea with it though is that you absolutely punish yourself each workout, which is rewarding when my chest is still tight and sore 4-5 days after.

I think 2-3 days of recovery is enough, although I do take days off if I'm feeling sore all over (Today being one of those days lol). I think abstaining from working out for more than, like, a week at most is bad for me. I start getting sore more easily doing the same workouts that I should be tackling with no problem with my usual 2-3 days of rest.

#20   Lightning Star 

• Master Adept
                                          • AKA lightningstar/Icy

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:27 PM

I gotta get back into running. May go jogging later today but it's already pretty hot out here, so I have to wait until the sun is just about going down or before the sun comes up. Usually my rest is the weekend, and I work out every day during the week.

But I find it interesting, for appearances sakes, I noticed something. At school, I see a lot of different guys, but I rarely pay attention to whether or not they have biceps or not-- its all the same to me. Yet I'm so freaking focused on whether or not i look like I've got a muffin top. But is it the same with you guys? I mean, I'll notice it if I'm specifically looking at someone for their attractiveness, but are you guys the same way with appearance for girls?

I don't know if that made any sense...

#21   gsninja 

• Master Adept

Posted 11 April 2010 - 03:42 PM

Makes sense, yeah. If you mean if we ever really pay attention to whether girls have love handles or not, then yes we do, although making judgments on it is another story altogether. I'll only really notice them if I'm particularly interested in that girl, kinda like your case.

Still,when I see girls with exposed muffin tops, I sometimes get the urge to just wanna run up and squeeze them. ):

I decided to do some pull-ups in my house today, since I'm too sore to actually go do any sort of full workout. I feel so fat if I'm not doing exercises.

#22   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:20 PM

View PostMy Best Wishes, on Apr 11 2010, 06:34 AM, said:

Muscle doesn't grow unless it rests and repairs, it can't rest if it's being used every second day.
                                              And to me your second sentence makes no sense at all. If I leave a longer recovery, how am I not leaving time for regrowth?

Let me rephrase. Longer, less frequent breaks mean a slower build up as you eat into potential gain.

Shorter, more frequent breaks mean a faster build as you eat into previously built msucle, rather than going into negatives and building off that.

#23   I'm Always BROKE 

• Master Adept

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:21 AM

Eh, what? Do you mean, breaks during sets? Or breaks during workouts?

Also, I'm suprised Toasty hasn't posted in here.

#24   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:44 AM

Breaks meaning between days. Work out monday, break tuesday etc.

#25   I'm Always BROKE 

• Master Adept

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:05 AM

Ohh like that. Still, you CAN train 2 days in a row. For example, day 1; upper body. Day 2; legs.

#26   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:31 AM

Obviously, but watch mentioned doing a few days of the same area in a row. I think, I've lost track now.

#27   I'm Always BROKE 

• Master Adept
                                                        • Location:the Netherlands

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:04 PM

Oh like that... Meaning, don't do a shoulder, tricep day after a chest day? Or do biceps day after back.

I'm always confused though. Is the squat an actual back exercise? I know that you should rest between deadlifst and squats (or do them on the same day) but what about your lats?

At least, I'm always resting between them. And find it quite hard with time management, seeing as I work on Friday and Saturday only, and most of the time skip Sunday.

I think about doing squats more often though. I wanna get the hang of them as soon as possible.

#28   Lightning Star 

• Master Adept
                                                          • Location:Tucson, Arizona
                                                          • AKA lightningstar/Icy

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:11 PM

Power-cleans <3

and HOLY SHIT. I haven't gone to the gym in like, two weeks. I was on the verge of a nervous break down from stress and that shit totally made me feel AWESOME. Something about running never ceases to calm me down.

#29   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                                                            • Joined: 10-October 04
                                                            • Location:Sydney, Australia
                                                            • AKA watch

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:30 AM

View PostDiddy Kong, on Apr 15 2010, 04:04 AM, said:

Oh like that... Meaning, don't do a shoulder, tricep day after a chest day? Or do biceps day after back.

I'm always confused though. Is the squat an actual back exercise? I know that you should rest between deadlifst and squats (or do them on the same day) but what about your lats?

At least, I'm always resting between them. And find it quite hard with time management, seeing as I work on Friday and Saturday only, and most of the time skip Sunday.

I think about doing squats more often though. I wanna get the hang of them as soon as possible.

Squats are a leg exercise, what part of the leg I'm not really sure, think the hamstrings, but you can do deadlifts and squats on the same day as they're both legs.

It's always a good feeling afterwards, whether you're stuffed from running or spent doing weights, it's also the being thing in my opinion when you're pissed off or frustrated. Kills the feelings quick as.

#30   gsninja 

• Master Adept
                                                              • Joined: 19-August 04
                                                              • Location:Calabasas, California

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:43 PM

I love bench pressing so much.

#31   Moonear 

• Disciple
                                                              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                                • Joined: 06-October 07
                                                                • Location:LongGuy Land

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:02 PM

I just joined a gym, I'm trying to lose weight and tone up over the summer.

#32   Wild Fox 

• Lord
                                                                • PipPipPipPip
                                                                  • Joined: 20-June 04
                                                                  • Gender:Female
                                                                  • Location:Northern California
                                                                  • Interests:The list of things that I think are awesome but other people probably think are lame: <br /><br />Zombies. <br />Pinot Noir. <br />Owls. <br />Cross-stitching. <br />The Ocean. <br />Starting IVs. <br />Starting an IV on you. <br />Cuddling. <br />Eating Guacamole with a Spoon. <br />Mechanical Pencils. <br />My Dancing Skills. <br />Monopoly. <br />Free HBO.

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:46 PM

Ughhh I need to get back in to working out. I got insanely sick this year (whooping cough for 3 weeks, sinus infection for 5) and totally got out of my routine. I'm chunky and lazy now and I really need to get back into something. I need to tone my abs...anyone have any fun workouts they can suggest?

#33   Toasty 

• Posts: 12,421
                                                                    • Joined: 04-April 06
                                                                    • Gender:Male
                                                                    • Location:The toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:14 AM

I haven't been to my martial arts class in ages (due to an inflamed joint in my chest [wtf], and a sprained ankle), but I have been doing a lot of ab workouts. And as of late, I've been specifically focusing on my obliques, because I realized a friend of mine can hold his body almost level horizontally while grabbing on to a pole.

....and I can't. ):

Which is bad because that's something I should be able to do (at least partially) if I want to consider myself anything like a traceur. :\

Also been doing calf workouts to increase my already massive hops. :O
                                                                    Or rather, I'll be continuing to do so after my ankle completely finishes healing.

#34   gsninja 

• Master Adept
                                                                      • Posts: 4,875

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:31 AM

View Postihatekraden, on Jun 22 2010, 09:02 PM, said:

I just joined a gym, I'm trying to lose weight and tone up over the summer.

Nice! Are you just trying to tone something in particular, or everything?

View PostWild Fox, on Jun 22 2010, 10:46 PM, said:

Ughhh I need to get back in to working out. I got insanely sick this year (whooping cough for 3 weeks, sinus infection for 5) and totally got out of my routine. I'm chunky and lazy now and I really need to get back into something. I need to tone my abs...anyone have any fun workouts they can suggest?

Unfortunately, I'm not an expert at abs. I do lots of workouts for chest, back, tris, bis, and shoulders...but for abs, I only do sit-ups really lmao.

God, I'd love to be able to do that on a pole. A friend of mine in Italy has a really nice torso...he can level horizontally on a pole, lucky bastard haha.

#35   Caael 

• Master Adept
                                                                        • Posts: 8,730
                                                                        • Joined: 09-June 06
                                                                        • Location:England

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:44 AM

I also need to get back into my routine. I stopped just before my exams and I've not got back into it yet. Guess I know what I'm doing tonight.

#36   Toasty 

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:55 AM

View PostBUTTSEX, on Jun 22 2010, 11:31 PM, said:

Unfortunately, I'm not an expert at abs. I do lots of workouts for chest, back, tris, bis, and shoulders...but for abs, I only do sit-ups really lmao.

God, I'd love to be able to do that on a pole. A friend of mine in Italy has a really nice torso...he can level horizontally on a pole, lucky bastard haha.

I find that sit ups tend to work the bottom two ab muscles the most, while leg lifts work the top two, and crunches work the middle.

As for obliques, I tend to do crunches with my legs to the left, and then again with them to the right, and then I'll also prop myself up sideways on one elbow and try to hold my body perfectly straight (so that only my elbow and feet touch the ground) for as long as I can, and ten switch elbows and repeat.

I find that doing sideways leg lifts (some people call them scissors) tends to work the muscles on the side of your thighs more than your obliques, but I could be doing them wrong.

Though I'm not an expert. I just find that these specific muscles become more sore/tired when doing these specific workouts.

I should also start doing more upper body work though. I have some pretty sturdy pecs, forearms, and triceps, but my biceps are lacking, and the muscles in my upper body in general seem get sore/worn out faster than they probably should.

Though the inflamed joint in my chest along with a strange, un-explained pain in my left elbow when putting my left arm under certain stresses tends to keep my away from those kinds of exercises. :\

#37   Moonear 

• Disciple
                                                                            • Posts: 1,769

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:13 AM

View PostBUTTSEX, on Jun 23 2010, 12:31 AM, said:

Well, a little of everything really. I got a workout plan from one of the trainers at the gym, but he told me to follow it for like three weeks and then come to him again for a better workout. (I'm a complete beginner to any and all exercise so I'm starting out small.)

Warmup on bikes for 10-15 minutes
                                                                            Monday: Shoulders, Core,

Tuesday: Chest, 10 minutes of running at 6MPH

Wednesday: Legs, Core, 15 minutes of running at 6MPH

Thurday: Back, 10 minutes of running at 6MPH

Friday: Arms, Core, 15 minutes of running at 6MPH

I do a few pushups and situps when I wake up and go to sleep as well. I've also been trying to eat healthier, ie drinking a lot more water instead of sugary drinks, more chicken and turkey instead of red meat, and not nearly as much fried food and processed junk food.

#38   Wild Fox 

• Lord
                                                                            • PipPipPipPip
                                                                              • Posts: 260
                                                                              • Joined: 20-June 04
                                                                              • Gender:Female
                                                                              • Location:Northern California
                                                                              • Interests:The list of things that I think are awesome but other people probably think are lame: <br /><br />Zombies. <br />Pinot Noir. <br />Owls. <br />Cross-stitching. <br />The Ocean. <br />Starting IVs. <br />Starting an IV on you. <br />Cuddling. <br />Eating Guacamole with a Spoon. <br />Mechanical Pencils. <br />My Dancing Skills. <br />Monopoly. <br />Free HBO.

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:20 PM

View PostBUTTSEX, on Jun 22 2010, 11:31 PM, said:

What's HIS number? ;)

#39   Moonear 

• Disciple

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

Holy crap, the feeling you get after exercising is AMAZING. I can't believe I didn't start working out earlier.

#40   I'm Always BROKE 

• Master Adept
                                                                                  • Posts: 3,190
                                                                                  • Joined: 24-October 04

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:41 AM

It is. Getting a 'gym high' is actually one of the best feelings you can have. ;)

#41   Toasty 

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:13 AM

It's better than drugs! =O

#42   Caael 

• Master Adept
                                                                                      • Posts: 8,730
                                                                                      • Joined: 09-June 06
                                                                                      • Location:England

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:13 AM

View PostToasty, on Jun 26 2010, 08:13 AM, said:

It's better than drugs! =O

You haven't tried drugs.

Now, working out on drugs.THAT is awesome.

#43   gsninja 

• Master Adept
                                                                                        • Posts: 4,875

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:32 PM

View PostWild Fox, on Jun 23 2010, 07:20 PM, said:

What's HIS number? ;)

I wouldn't know, he's in Italy. :x

View Postihatekraden, on Jun 25 2010, 02:19 PM, said:

Holy crap, the feeling you get after exercising is AMAZING. I can't believe I didn't start working out earlier.

inorite

The exhilaration you get during your first time working out is sweet.

#44   Moonear 

• Disciple

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:47 PM

Anyone know how to do HIITS properly?

#45   I'm Always BROKE 

• Master Adept

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:13 PM

I hardly do cardio. If your not significantly fat, why would you bother doing cardo on machines? I prefer cycling or running outside (and rarely do that even).

Medication is seriously screwing with my gym progress atm. >_>

#46   Moonear 

• Disciple

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:27 PM

View PostDiddy Kong, on Jul 7 2010, 03:13 PM, said:

I hardly do cardio. If your not significantly fat, why would you bother doing cardo on machines? I prefer cycling or running outside (and rarely do that even).

Medication is seriously screwing with my gym progress atm. >_>

Well, I am somewhat overweight, so that's why I do cardio. I try to run outside, but we have a heat wave here, and it's completely awful to try to run in the heat. (It was 105 degrees F here today, about 41 degrees C.)

#47   I'm Always BROKE 

• Master Adept

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:31 PM

Just lift weights and you'll lose fat to. Seriously. Might even be better in some cases in your a 'hard gainer', or at least that's like a urban legend or something. But for real, lifting = burning just as many calories as cardio. But it could never hurt I guess.

And damn, that's some weather...

Page 1 of 1
                                                                                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                                                                                • You cannot reply to this topic