• You cannot reply to this topic

Sports

#1   Eugine 

• Master Adept
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 23 June 2010 - 02:51 PM

Lately, most GSSFers have been following sports. Probably the most we have since the inception of the forum... but do we play?
    So, what sports do you guys play? I won't lie, sports is probably my weakest link, but I do enjoy playing Table Tennis and Cricket. Sometimes I wish I was better at sports...

#2   Saturos S. 

• Master Adept
      • Interests:Nom nom nom. Cookies.

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:05 PM

I'm quite good at tennis, made it to the 2nd team this year so I'm playing on a national level. (Netherlands being a small country, going national is quite easy travelingwise). Better at doubles than singles, though I enjoy singles more than doubles.

And I play football in a team with a bunch of friends. Good fun, but not that competitive. I play center midfield, best position on the pitch in my opinion. You don't really have to defend and you get to set up the attack and score from time to time.

I played hockey for two years when I was... 10-11 ish. No idea why I quit that, probably the moving to Holland part.

#3   Moonear 

• Disciple
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:38 PM

I don't play any sports on an organized team besides fencing for my school... except I'm not very good at that. ;)

I love playing a quick pick-up game of basketball with my friends. If we can organize enough people, then we'll either get a game of american football or ultimate frisbee going. I'm getting pretty good at ultimate, it's one of my favorite things to do in my free time.

#4   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
          • Group: Admin

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

I've never been excessively athletic and always lagged behind most of my peers in that regard. When I was in middle school I did play some pick-up soccer and enrolled in a tennis program at the local YMCA. High school completely opened up a new sport, which ihk just mentioned:

View Postihatekraden, on Jun 23 2010, 05:38 PM, said:

If we can organize enough people, then we'll either get a game of american football or ultimate frisbee going. I'm getting pretty good at ultimate, it's one of my favorite things to do in my free time.

Ultimate Frisbee is amazing. The pace and speed of the game is easily like soccer or basketball, and learning to handle a frisbee with all the various throws, backhands, forehands, hammers, and such, is really satisfying. This was my entire time in high school, how I met all of my best friends and how we all bonded together, so it has a lot of sentimental value for me. The days spent tossing a disc in Battery Park by the Hudson river until sundown, with the Statue of Liberty in the distant background in lower East Side of Manhattan... great, great memories.

#5   Eugine 

• Master Adept
            • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:02 PM

Hmm, I remember GL mentioned Ultimate Frisbee on GSSF once, but didn't bother to check it out. I just watched a few videos of it on YouTube and I have to admit it looks like fun.

#6   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
              • Group: Moderator
              • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:26 PM

I'm pretty good at badminton (well, last time I played, whch was years ago) and was on the track & field team in highschool for a year. I should start playing sports again because I'm getting a little chubby... which sucks because I've been trim my whole life up to this point.

#7   Moonear 

• Disciple
              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:15 PM

View PostGolden Legacy, on Jun 23 2010, 03:52 PM, said:

Ultimate Frisbee is amazing. The pace and speed of the game is easily like soccer or basketball, and learning to handle a frisbee with all the various throws, backhands, forehands, hammers, and such, is really satisfying.

inorite?

I've just started to learn forehand (was limited to backhand before) and over hand, which is really fun to throw. These different types of throws help me get around defenders and such. I'm trying to get faster because that one second advantage that you have on the person defending you can be the difference between a touchdown and a frisbee swatted away.

Page 1 of 1
                • You cannot start a new topic
                • You cannot reply to this topic