• You cannot reply to this topic

US Embassy Cables and Wikileaks

#1   Twit 

• Gallant
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Interests:Runningg

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:01 AM

Surprised no one has posted on this- A lot of you should know about the Wikileaks issue and the leak of thousands of US Embassy cables and secret documents. If not, I've included some links on the bottom.

Here's the issue: Government officials are calling for Wikileaks to be declared a terrorist organization for spreading secret information that the US did not want released to the public. Supporters call this the equivalent of releasing the Pentagon Papers and our first amendment rights. Do you agree with Wikileaks being the bad guy here, or is this something that is protected under our right to speak freely?

Some links courtesy BBC:
    What is Wikileaks?
    What are the Embassy Cables?
    Issues brought up by leaked cables

#2   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Admin

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:18 AM

To clarify, it is first important to emphasize that Wikileaks' role is not that of the instigator. Wikileaks functions as a central hub for documents that have been leaked by other individuals (that's where the name 'Wikileaks' comes from). The role Wikileaks has is as a whistleblower, protecting the anonymity of those original leakers (who have committed the act of divulging information) and thereby functioning as more of a press group.

All that said, I generally find myself supporting Wikileaks' right to do what it is doing. The public has a right to be aware of the happenings of their government (with the exception perhaps being the most extreme and sensitive issues, though what that may be defined as is different for every individual). The Wikileaks release of documents particularly on the Iraq and Afghanistan wars shed light on some quite unfortunate realities, which shows how selective information has been given to shape public opinion. Though nothing has been revealed on the scale of the Pentagon Papers, it is still information that the public has the right to know.

#3   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
        • Group: Veterans
        • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
        • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:24 AM

I like Wikileaks. I think it's a great way for people to expose corruption in the government and other groups or corporations. Though unfortunately, it's also a double edged sword. From what I understand, the names and locations of some under cover US operatives were contained in those documents, and now some of our servicemen are in danger (correct me if I'm wrong).

Personally, I think the majority of the blame falls on the shoulders of our government for not locking down information like this in a more secure manner, and on the shoulders of our military as well, for not keeping a better eye on a soldier who has a history of causing trouble.

That said, not all of the information was harmful, and I think it's beneficial to have some form of transparency in government dealings and operations. It helps to keep the government's power in check.

#4   Caael 

• Master Adept
          • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:58 AM

http://oi51.tinypic.com/1zwhevc.jpg

As hilarious as I find this picture, I disagree with its view. I basically agree with GL and Toasty.

#5   Saturos S. 

• Master Adept
            • Interests:Nom nom nom. Cookies.

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:29 AM

Lol at image.

Not too sure about Wikileaks. Most of what they leaked (at least for the Netherlands) was already known. But it still hurts the international diplomacy quite a lot.

Will post more later.

#6   Zeypher 

• Disciple
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:19 PM

Does anyone else find it strange that governments are trying to kill its founder?

#7   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:51 PM

I'm not as supportive of Wikileaks as most of you. While I do support open and transparent government, I hardly believe Julian Assange motives were in the best interest of the USA and the other countries mentioned in the cables.

Although most of the information leaked were well known to most who follows current affairs (eg the Arab countries afraid of a nuclear Iran) - the leaks placed meat on the bone, which may well hamper future negotiations. Will diplomats really tell the USA its true feelings after knowing they may well reach the newspapers?

Regardless, I actually believe the latest leaks will lead to more secretive governments - resulting in exactly the opposite of what Wikileaks wants. As we speak, the USA is taking steps to ensure this does not happen again.

I do believe there were some good news in the reports though - I am extremely happy China is ready to abandon North Korea, and support reunification of Korea under South Korean rule. Probably the best information I heard all year!

To answer your question OP though:
                The jury is still out on Wikileaks although Private Manning should experience the full force of the law.

#8   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:30 PM

The way I see it, the more the government try and hush it, the more they show they have to hide. Instead of going "okay the whistle has been blown, this is what we did and we regret it", countries are going ape shit trying to stop them from releasing MORE secrets. Just how deep does it go? Showing a government's insecurities is going to hurt morale more than the leaks themselves.

Oh, and the warrant on the founder is out because of a sexual assault claim, not to do with the website content. Or so they say.

#9   Zeypher 

• Disciple

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:18 PM

View PostCaael, on 02 December 2010 - 05:30 PM, said:

Oh, and the warrant on the founder is out because of a sexual assault claim, not to do with the website content. Or so they say.

And when he said the next dump will be about the banks, he made Interpol's most wanted list, Palin called him a terrorist, and the assistant to Canada's prime minister said Assange needs to be assassinated. /:

#10   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:38 AM

I think it's a huge overreaction- using Assange as a scapegoat to represent the ENTIRETY of wikileaks seems totally absurd. He is the founder, not the one leaking all the information. Calling him a terrorist is just ridiculous, people *coughPalincough* need a fucking slap.

#11   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                        • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:04 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-11921080
                        Well, I really dislike this guy now.

EDIT:
                        http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-11923766
                        I really don't know how anyone can support Wikileaks after reading this new BBC News article. I say label Wikileaks a terrorist organisation.

#12   Saturos S. 

• Master Adept
                          • Interests:Nom nom nom. Cookies.

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:51 PM

View PostEugine, on 05 December 2010 - 02:04 PM, said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-11921080
                          Well, I really dislike this guy now.

EDIT:
                          http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-11923766
                          I really don't know how anyone can support Wikileaks after reading this new BBC News article. I say label Wikileaks a terrorist organisation.

Well, to label them as a terrorist organisation for that seems a bit... extreme. I agree with Caael and GL I guess, transparancy is better than the damage it does to international diplomacy. I must say, the Interpol issued arrest charge for Assange is looking quite cheap though. Field trip for the conspiracy theorists if you ask me.

P.S.
                          http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j168/sstriker_photos/3ecc2a0b_aTZpV.png

#13   Zeypher 

• Disciple

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:07 PM

Looks like he turned himself in.

Is there someone else that will run the site? Most people don't even know that Assange just posts leaks other people "steal."

Edit - This is interesting http://www.infowars....-cia-operative/

Page 1 of 1
                            • You cannot start a new topic
                            • You cannot reply to this topic