Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Newb Faq

#1   Elliott 

• Cool
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • Interests:Metal, philosophy, percussion, literature, writing, theology, personal fitness, live music, tattoos.
    • AKA Agatio

Posted 26 April 2005 - 04:59 AM

Here's an FAQ type thing for forums, building upon Alex's thread.

---------------------------------------

Q. I just made a post, and now I want to add something else in that topic. Can I post again.

A. If someone has posted after your post, yes. If there is no post after yours, use the edit button. Double posting is frowned upon on pretty much all forums, and can result in your warn level being increased by our sexy moderating team.

Q. What's "my warn level"?

A. By breaking the rules set by the forum administrator, you can be warned. There is a little bar under your avatar that only you and the moderating team can see. When this goes about 100%, you can be suspended or banned from the forums.

Q. I feel really strongly about a topic, and I want to post all caps, or over format my text, can I do this.

A. Posting the occasional word in caps, and the odd formatting of text is fine. But doing an entire post in caps or over formatted is very annoying, and can also result in you being warned.

Q. Hey, that guy just insulted me!!!

A. Send him a personal message. Reacting on the boards is a bad idea as it hurts your reputation, annoys fellow members, and causes problems in general for all.

Being on this forum is really tough, and I feel no one likes me...

It's just an internet forum, don't take it so seriously. Rather than acting like an emo, and posting a leaving thread saying that you don't fit in etc., spend a few days away from your computer. I can say from first hand experience that it will do you a world of good.

Q. Someone is breaking the rules. What should I do?

A. Use the report button. It is your friend

Q: I keep sending PM's to someone but I don't get replies. What is wrong

A: Either this person is just ignoring the fact that he gets PM, or this person hasn't come online yet. Don't worry, usually most members don't see their PM's because they don't bother going off to their CP's sometimes, don't worry, they will answer it, in due time.

Q. I visited a topic, and replied to the post on the bottom of the page, then when my post had been made, the post I replied to was gone, what happened?

A. Some topics have more than one page. Make sure you're on the last page when you reply, so you have a good idea of what's going on.

Q. This person is spamming in the non-designated part of the board, what should I do?

A. By far not answer to it, do not reply to any topics that have been comprised, just wait until a mod or administrator comes along and deletes the mess that person made. Also use the report button to make it easier for the moderators to keep track of the spam replies.

More will be added. Post suggestions here.

#2   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
      • Interests:.5% per annum.
      • AKA Spam King

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:47 AM

Grammar police!

Reacting on the boards is a bad idea as it hurts your reputation, annoying fellow members, and causes problems in general for all.

It should be 'annoys' in order to retain the present tense.

Rather than acting like an emo, and posting a leaving thread saying that you don't fit in etc. Spend a few days away from your computer.

There should be a comma between 'etc' and 'spend'.

Either this person is just ignoring the fact that he get's PM, or this person hasn't come online yet.

There is no need for an apostrophe in 'gets'.

Don't worry, usually most members don't see their PM's because they don't bother going off to their CP's sometimes, don't worry, they will answer it, in do time.

In due time.

By far not answer to it, do not reply to any topics that have been comprimized, just wait untill a mod or administrator comes along and deletes the mess that person made.

Compromised.

Also use the report butoon to make it easier for the moderators to keep track of the spam replies.

The report butoon? Rofl.

#3   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
        • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
        • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 20 October 2006 - 03:47 PM

And for a little advice, just to keep a few members off your backs. These are not rules:
        1) Please, no 1337 speak, or OMG!!11!!!one!!11!!eleventyone!!11!!!1!. It is frowned upon. 1337 speak can be used, though, but only on rare occasion, like in the TRT, but again, rarely in there as well.

2) Not only is this a rule, but spam is frowned upon. If you see people who have spamed, but mods havn't warned them, it's either because it was in the Common Room, or because it was a minor spam (which isn't that big a deal unless it's consistently happening). As people get to know you, mods will likely go easier on you. But still, please follow the no spam rule everywhere except the TRT.

3) If people are being rude or mean to you, report them. Especially if it is only one person. But they are likely doing this for one of the above said reasons. A good way to prevent this is to follow some of this advice.

4) Please! Stay longer than just a few days! People were mean to me at first, but I stuck with it, and now I'm quite respected around here (though not nearly as much as veteran members).

5) Don't despise someone if they made one comment that you felt might have been offensive, this is mainly if it wasn't clear whether it was or not. They are likely just playing along with the topic at hand. If such acts continue though, and it becomes clear they don't like you, PM them and ask them why they are doing this. If it gets beyond that, report them. This kind of goes along with advice #3.

6) People will be nicer if they get to know you, and if you act mature. This means staying a while and posting.

7) People will likely begin to treat you porely if you use pictures of things like hot wheels in your sigs and avatars. I agree that they are being immature by dissing you for it, but mabey a picture of a real car would be better suited? (i.e. a porsche, BMW, Lamborghini murchielago, etc. Sports cars make great sigs ;D)

8) Please spell out your words. Using "u" for "you" is almost as bad as 1337 speak. Typos are reasonable, we're not that picky, but you will also be respected more if you use real words.

9) You don't always need to explain yourself. i.e. if your posting in the fight club, you don't need to say you stole money from Fort Knox, and then explain that you beat up the gards on the way in. This is a very minor deal, but it makes it more fun for others, for insatance they might say "what about the guards? *guards take him away" and you could reply "*gets thrown in jail* But I'm innocent! I was looking for the bathroom!"

10) Punctuation is important. It makes your posts easier to read, and less confusing. It's not a big deal, but it will make your posts look more mature.

11)Overall, just post maturely, follow the rules, and you'll be respected in no time.

We will all do our best to welcome you with a smile, just do your part too. =)

#4   Elliott 

• Cool
          • Interests:Metal, philosophy, percussion, literature, writing, theology, personal fitness, live music, tattoos.
          • AKA Agatio

Posted 02 January 2007 - 06:37 AM

Grammar has been fixed (cheers for that Split).
          Mr.T, you should probably re-check yours as well.

#5   Toasty 

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:11 AM

Fixed. And I just got through saying we're not that picky....

I'd like to add another thing. I don't care really how much of a n00b people portray you as, or if you're new here. So if someone's on your case (or everyone) instead of posting a topic about it, PM me. Most of the time, I'm here daily, and I usually stay on for a long time (probably longer than most anyone else here), and since I really don't have much to do with my time, I'd be happy to discuss it with you.

#6   Blink 

• Disciple
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Members
              • Interests:Video games, RPGs, Flight Sims, Art, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Golden Sun...<br /><br />omg this used to be mah sig.<br />[url=http://www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/OTHER/blinkstale.jpg[/img]<br />[/url][url=http://www.get--a--life.com/POLKA/polkaindex.html]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/IMG/polkabanner8.gif[/img]<br />[/url]&lt;&lt;--Click!

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:09 PM

"Q: I keep sending PM's to someone but I don't get replies. What is wrong"

Fergot Question Mark.

"
              Being on this forum is really tough, and I feel no one likes me...

It's just an internet forum, don't take it so seriously. "

Needs a Q and an A.

The only thing in the rules themselves that I feel needs change is the one about double posting. I'm not sure if you guys are okay with this, but on another key forum I go to, a double post is allowed if new or different evidence or information arises. So, say you're making a fanfic, or posting a comic series, article series, etc. You're allowed to double post if you have something new to contribute, an update, if the thread has been idle for more than a day. Edits don't update the thread as showing it has new information, so this is when double posting is allowed.

Just something that might be worth considering.

#7   Toasty 

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:07 AM

Blink, that is allowed here. You just have to make sure your reason for double posting is solid. If there's a really old topic that you think should be revived, and you have new information to add to it but you're the last poster in the topic, it's alright to double post.

Same thing goes for art topics and fanfics, at least as long as they're yours.

#8   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                  • Interests:.5% per annum.
                  • AKA Spam King

Posted 15 March 2007 - 07:00 AM

Wow, that post was old. By the way Agatio, I meant for you to replace the full stop with the comma, not just add it in. And for my final act of annoying perfectionism, there should be a full stop after 'It is your friend'.

#9   Cam 

• New User

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:19 AM

View PostSplit Infinity, on Sep 21 2006, 07:47 AM, said:

Grammar police!
                    It should be 'annoys' in order to retain the present tense.
                    There should be a comma between 'etc' and 'spend'.
                    There is no need for an apostrophe in 'gets'.
                    In due time.
                    Compromised.
                    The report butoon? Rofl.

grammer nazis.

#10   Toasty 

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:52 AM

The irony of the above post is both elusive and highly lulz inducing, I must say.

You should probably go make an intro topic, and then read the FAQ again (if you haven't already).

#11   ThankMeLater 

• Berserker
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • AKA skidzors, Drizzy Drake, Dipset, etc.

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:08 AM

View PostCam, on Sep 6 2010, 05:19 AM, said:

grammer nazis.

lol, totally.

i think that's an alias tho.. why would they sign up solely to make that post, and it work out so perfectly?

#12   Mallick 

• Captain Cannabis
                          • AKA Mallick/PDM/GDUB3000/Sir

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:08 PM

View PostCam, on Sep 6 2010, 04:19 AM, said:

grammer nazis.

u mad?

Page 1 of 1
                          • You cannot start a new topic
                          • You cannot reply to this topic