• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

And She's Off!

#1   Max 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:15 AM

As some of you may know, I am an avid space enthusiast, and a huge supporter of the American Space Shuttle program. Just minutes ago the Space Shuttle Discovery launched on the first Shuttle flight since the loss of Space Shuttle Columbia back in February 2003 when it disintegrated upon reentry into the atmosphere. Coverage is available at virtually every news outlet right now, so head to your favorite news source for more information.

The past two weeks I've been preoccupied following the events and news surrounding this launch, in addition to relaxing and doing work around the house. I'm currently busy reworking my new site and launching a new forum, so I haven't had much time to work on GSS. Like I said in my previous update, AveneR and I plan to begin work on GSW again once August rolls around, as he is currently on vacation. That's all for now, I might have another update later this week.

#2   Luna 

• Disciple
      • Group: Members

Posted 26 July 2005 - 12:36 PM

Wow, this is exciting :D. It was amusing how you said "Coverage is available at virtually even news outlet right now, so head to your favorite news source for more information.", I turn on the T.V. and the first thing I see is the rocket launching. :B

#3   Eugine 

• Master Adept
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Veterans
        • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:56 PM

I'm not really a fan of Space Shuttles, but after talking to Max about it. I've gotten a little interest in it.

I think they should study other stuff like poverty in Africa instead of that though.

#4   Izar 

• Master Adept
          • Interests:Gaming, History, Christian Music, Comedy

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:11 PM

That's good. There was a guy on the Radio complaing about it being launched later. I think that they launched it perfectly in time, of course they need to check over everything from that last disaster.

It's all good now. :D

#5   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
            • Group: Moderator
            • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:13 PM

Same here, space and space shuttles don't interest me too much. I think that money might be better spent in other places, but that's my opinion.

#6   Blink 

• Disciple
              • Interests:Video games, RPGs, Flight Sims, Art, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Golden Sun...<br /><br />omg this used to be mah sig.<br />[url=http://www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/OTHER/blinkstale.jpg[/img]<br />[/url][url=http://www.get--a--life.com/POLKA/polkaindex.html]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/IMG/polkabanner8.gif[/img]<br />[/url]&lt;&lt;--Click!

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:44 PM

It's good to see the program running again, I'm just disappointed that they didn't research new shuttles between the accident and the next launch. Maybe they have, but I'm disappointed we don't have something better out there, more fuel efficiant and better controlled. The day we launch space shuttles like airplanes will be the day I consider the consept of ever going on a spaceship. It's possible to get to high levels in the atmosphere with advanced planes now, so why not apply that to space flight for an easier fight against gravity?

Ah well, it's still exciting to know we're not giving up on space for now.

#7   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 26 July 2005 - 04:18 PM

Blink, while SpaceShipOne (the private industry space plane you were referring to) supposedly reached "space" (really only 60 miles up, which still isn't considered space by scientists), it was carrying only a single man and zero cargo, and had a flight duration of a few minutes. The Space Shuttles can haul up to (and over) 7 astronauts and tens of thousands of pounds of cargo. There really is no comparison at all between the two craft.

Also, much research has and is continually going on into new space craft designs. It took over 20 years to design the Shuttle, and so most of the designs at this point are reusing Shuttle parts and technology to speed up development and get them built. I still don't think we'll have a craft to take over for the Shuttle by the proposed 2014 date, but we'll have to wait and see.

#8   Echo_djinn 

• Master Adept
                  • Interests:Myself, video games, sports,(especially basketball)T.V, the ladies and other things I have no time to mention. So now you know me and you proably already have fallen in love with me. Well, I can't blame you everyone else already loves me. :)

Posted 27 July 2005 - 05:05 PM

Space travel....

Sorry it just doesn't interest me. Anyways, I know some of my co-workers will be off dicussing this so I'll read up with them at work instead of watching the news. Gossip makes everything sound interesting.

#9   Lemontime 

• Disciple
                    • AKA sibsag, Lemontime

Posted 28 July 2005 - 12:18 AM

Wind Dude, on Jul 26 2005, 04:13 PM, said:

Same here, space and space shuttles don't interest me too much. I think that money might be better spent in other places, but that's my opinion.

I agree with the 'Money might be better spent in other places' statement.
                    There's hundreds of millions of people that are starving every day.
                    And alot suffering from bad diseases.
                    I think that if we spent more money on food for these people and work towards a cure for aids, cancer, molaria and any other disease that kills people.

But that's just one persons opinion.
                    Not gonna do much in this day and age.

#10   Somia 

• Disciple
                      • Interests:..Truffles, White Chocolates, Flying, RPGing &amp; a Smile.

Posted 30 July 2005 - 05:10 PM

Space shuttles don't interest me either..but one day, I would like to go out in space and view the earth with my own eyes.

#11   Dullahan 

• Disciple
                        • Interests:football, rock and punk music, videogames, snooker, golf.

Posted 03 August 2005 - 03:09 AM

Space travel is stupid imo, Bush is going to spend billions getting to mars, while the third world starves, what's going to do there, it's quite hard to live somewhere that doesn't have any oxygen, plants, food etc.

#12   Blink 

• Disciple
                          • Interests:Video games, RPGs, Flight Sims, Art, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Golden Sun...<br /><br />omg this used to be mah sig.<br />[url=http://www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/OTHER/blinkstale.jpg[/img]<br />[/url][url=http://www.get--a--life.com/POLKA/polkaindex.html]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/IMG/polkabanner8.gif[/img]<br />[/url]&lt;&lt;--Click!

Posted 03 August 2005 - 04:06 PM

Dullahan, on Aug 3 2005, 01:09 AM, said:

Space travel is stupid imo, Bush is going to spend billions getting to mars, while the third world starves, what's going to do there, it's quite hard to live somewhere that doesn't have any oxygen, plants, food etc.

The true response to that statement is yet. So far, Mars has no oxygen or food. But remember how they think they've discovered where a sea once was on mars? If the sea is really just deep underground, we can get at atmosphere going there by changing half the water with chemical reactions into oxygen and hydrogen. It would be a long proccess, and it would mean people would live inside only for a while, but in the end, Mars could be a second earth! And that would actually greatly aid third world starving people, because the population of earth would quickly spread between Mars and Earth, giving us a lot more good soil on earth while those who didn't need soil and wanted something new would travel to mars. Immigrant limits would quickly be dropped, and it would give more people a fighting chance. Food and plants would of couse, be imported from earth, but they would soon adapt to the land in about one generation(not all of them, but enough to have solid species). So, it's basically worth it if you can do something when you get there.

#13   Dullahan 

• Disciple

Posted 06 August 2005 - 04:00 AM

you forget they'll all be dead by then. And how do they plan to get there, many people doubt got to the Moon, and Mars is alot further away, despite the fact any craft leaving Earth's atmosphere would be fired by radiation, man still maanaged to get to the moon anfdthe astronauts suffered no radiation sickness, hmmm.

#14   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 07 August 2005 - 06:24 PM

Dullahan, the moon is still inside the protection of Earth's atmosphere which is what protected the Apollo astronauts from the harmful solar radiation. Going to Mars however will most likely be deadly with current space travel methods, which is an area of intense research right now.

#15 Guest_Jack_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 08 August 2005 - 02:37 AM

Discovery is landing tonight! W00t!

#16   Dullahan 

• Disciple

Posted 08 August 2005 - 03:56 AM

the landing got delayed due to bad weather, not so W00t!

#17   Blink 

• Disciple

Posted 08 August 2005 - 03:30 PM

Wait, so the moon is inside the atmosphere of the earth, just so high up there's not any oxygen? I never knew that...

#18   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:57 AM

Actually, I just did some research and I was incorrect. Astronauts on the moon (such as during the Apollo missions) do in fact suffer from radiation exposure. However, on the moon landings the astronauts were not exposed long enough to sustain any long term damage to their bodies. However, if we are to form a base on either the moon or Mars (or anywhere in space), we need to come up with some sort of a radiation shield. Article about that here: http://space.com/businesstechnology/lunars...wed_050112.html

#19   Unicornmaddy 

• Knight
                                    • PipPip
                                      • Interests:Horse-Riding, singing, Horses, Dancing (Ballet, Tap and Jazz) a certain friend of mine (wink wink) and lots more...

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:03 AM

Interesting... Anyway over in sunny Britian I saw the take off on the news it looked cool.

#20   Golden Djinn13 

• Disciple
                                        • Location:Outside your window, watching....waiting
                                        • Interests:Go Away...

Posted 09 August 2005 - 09:30 PM

Blink, on Aug 8 2005, 04:30 PM, said:

Wait, so the moon is inside the atmosphere of the earth, just so high up there's not any oxygen? I never knew that...

Your not the only one, thats a fact that I can use to impress teachers when I get back to school. :)

#21   Unicornmaddy 

• Knight
                                        • PipPip
                                          • Interests:Horse-Riding, singing, Horses, Dancing (Ballet, Tap and Jazz) a certain friend of mine (wink wink) and lots more...

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:59 PM

Hey the spaceship came back down to earth yesterday! Congratulations to the USA! I do hope it sees the beautiful earth from space again...

#22   Lemontime 

• Disciple
                                            • AKA sibsag, Lemontime

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:04 PM

Beautiful..
                                            Well, From outer space yes, but we've ruined this world, we really have..

#23   Mathak Kraven 

• Lord
                                            • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2005 - 02:56 AM

Heh, and what you prolly didn't know is that the moon is falling down to earth, he literly falls over the horizon an then comes back, Max should know this I hope, because if you look at it, all planets are falling towards the sun but miss and fall over it's horizon.

Haha, take that.

Also I'm not interested in space travel myself.

#24   Unicornmaddy 

• Knight
                                              • PipPip

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:38 PM

What you said there was very scary... I hope the moon doesn't crush us :D
                                                It's amazing, did you know that if we magically stopped cutting down the Amazon Rainforest it would take over 500 years to fully regrow. I learnt that in Geography! :D

#25   Nemphtis 

• Master Adept
                                                  • Interests:Video Games &amp; Hentai
                                                  • AKA Anubis or Anu-chan

Posted 24 August 2005 - 07:40 AM

Let me know when the geeks discover some cool Aliens. Like the ones in Mars Attack where they talk funny and they have groovy clothes.

Come on, admit it. They dress like pimps because Martians are playa's. Damn right.

Page 1 of 1
                                                  • You cannot start a new topic
                                                  • You cannot reply to this topic