Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Golden Sun 3: Sol Legend

#1   Aurorus Arialis 

• New User
    • Group: Members

Posted 18 August 2005 - 12:08 PM

I started writing a fanfic but I'd like to know what people think of it so far. If you'd like to comment I'd appreciate it.

Prologue

The world of Weyard became peaceful after the lighting of the four lighthouses. Gaia falls halted their steady erosion of the world, and development finally began to occur. New mining techniques and machinery appeared in Altin. Champa grew into a massive seaport, trading with the outer reaches of Weyard. Tolbi, under the new leadership of Lord Iodem, finally made peace with the Laliverans and Gondowan, and became the centre of culture, people travelling from all over Weyard just to experience life in the city. Master Hammet built a merchant empire that covered all of Weyard, making use of Champa’s new prominence and new, faster boats.

Also among Adepts, development was present. The citizens of Izumo, finally finding the basis of their powers, began refining their psyenergy, becoming one of the major Adept settlements. In Contigo, the citizens began construction of a city intended to rival the legendary Anemos. Under the direction of Master Hama, Contigo grew into a city, with Jupiter Lighthouse shining at the centre.

Even Lemuria began to change. Following the meeting between King Hydros and Felix, the Senate tried to pry control from the King. However, the Lemurian citizens, spurred on by what Piers had achieved, and what he had told them of the outside world, threw their support behind King Hydros, and the Senate crumbled. Lemurians then began to travel; leaving the home they had known their entire lives and exploring the rest of Weyard.

In Prox, Puelle built an army to defend the lighthouses from anyone who would use the power of Alchemy to try and rule the world. Led by Zano, the son of the mighty Saturos, divisions were dispatched to all four lighthouses, where they managed to thwart several attempts to take control of the lighthouses, including a savage assault on Venus Lighthouse launched by Kibombo.

And in Angara, the villagers of Vale began to rebuild after the rising of the Golden Sun and the subsequent sinking of Mt. Aleph. The village of Vale grew in the foothills of Mt. Aleph, surrounding the vast gorge left by the sacred mountain. The eight heroes, Isaac, Felix, Garet, Jenna, Ivan, Sheba, Mia and Piers, helped with the effort until Vale could support itself. They then split, taking their own directions. Isaac, Garet and Jenna stayed in Vale, becoming members of the Village Council. Felix accompanied Sheba back to Lalivero where she was re-united with Faran and the others who had helped raise her. Ivan left for Contigo, joining his sister in leadership and helping raise the Jupiter Adepts born there. Mia returned to Imil and became a world-renowned healer, people travelling from all over Weyard for her help. And Piers travelled back to Lemuria, becoming the admiral of their sea fleet, protecting other travellers and coastal settlements from pirates and invaders.

15 years later, however, details began to emerge that threatened to destroy the peace of Weyard. The scholar Kraden, having devoted his life to the study of Alchemy, revealed on his deathbed findings of his research. The raw energy of the elements, released by the elemental lighthouses, was becoming unstable. The sheer force of the psyenergy contained within the lighthouses was beginning to take its toll. The lighthouses themselves were beginning to wear away. If the lighthouses were to fall, the released energy would obliterate Weyard. However, he had uncovered an ancient text, detailing this effect. According to the writings, there existed a fifth lighthouse, hidden deep within the interior of Mt. Aleph. If the Sol Lighthouse were to be lit, it would bring the other elements back under control. However, he had been unable to uncover the whereabouts of the Sol Star needed to light the beacon before his death.

And so begins the quest for the Sol Star and the final salvation of Weyard.

#2   I'm Always BROKE 

• Master Adept
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Veterans
      • AKA Fire Dude, Diddy Kong

Posted 18 August 2005 - 02:01 PM

*Sigh* Another new member with under 50 posts who makes a fan fic.
      Well this is a good one I think, it's somewhat more dark then others I saw.

#3   Eugine 

• Master Adept
        • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 18 August 2005 - 02:21 PM

I liked it, but not as much as another one I read here before. All are fantastic Golden Sun fictions. I must comment anyone who writes a story here and I read all.

You are one. Great story.

#4   Aurorus Arialis 

• New User

Posted 19 August 2005 - 11:27 AM

Here's the next chapter then.

Chapter 1

The rising sun cast a glowing orange aura over the tops of the Aleph foothills. It was like a ring of fire surrounding a cloudless sky. As the morning wore on, shafts of sunlight flooded over the rocky peaks, illuminating the village of Vale nestled below. The light glistened in the two rivers that now flowed through the village, one on the left half, the other in the right. It glowed through the Psynergy Stone, the only part of the original Vale to survive the rise of the Golden Sun and the subsequent subsidence of Mt. Aleph. It was now the centrepiece of the village; the buildings spreading out from it like a fan. The light spilled over buildings of all shapes and sizes; houses, shops, inns. Most of the houses and inns were situated outside of the rivers, everything else being enclosed.

The light shone on a lone figure standing on a small ledge on one of the surrounding hills, her long sleek hair moving slightly in what little breeze there was. Jenna could see all of Vale from her vantage point. The village was beginning to wake up and bustle with activity. Shops were opening, people were going for morning strolls, and blacksmiths were stoking their forges. Jenna looked out over it all, feeling a sense of… well, the best she could describe it as was loneliness. A lot of the infrastructure of Vale had been reconstructed almost identical to before, but it had never felt right to her. It was not as she remembered, and too much time had passed, too much had happened to her for her to be able to settle down again. Even her parents, so long gone from her life, couldn’t help quash her rebellious feelings. 15 years, and still she felt like this. The more she though about it, the more she realised she had become too used to travelling, too used to seeing new places and new wonders, too used to her travelling companions, friends and allies. After their return from Mars Lighthouse, everyone had put all their energy into the rebuilding effort, and she found herself with no time for her own thoughts and feelings. But since completion of the village, all of her friends left. Mia returned to her hometown of Imil, becoming a famous healer. Piers returned to Lemuria, Ivan to Contigo and his sister. Even Felix, her dear brother, left for Lalivero with Sheba, True, he had promised his protection of Sheba, but that made her feel even worse. It was hardly as if Sheba needed any protection anymore. Watching her friends leave, she’d grown more and more restless. Her thoughts turned to the two who had remained in Vale with her. Garet never spoke of his feelings on anything, that was who he was. He’d been a major part of the rebuilding effort, giving, at times, much needed motivation with the unhindered effort he put into whatever he did. She was sure that he had similar feelings as herself, but every time she tried to pry anything out of him, she ran into a brick wall. He was a man of action, not a thinker. He wouldn’t sit and talk, it just wasn’t his style. But Isaac… She shook her head, irritated with herself. It wasn’t just Isaac. There were so many things she wanted to say to him, but had never been able to bring herself to say them. Sheba always used to tease her about him, though Jenna had always denied everything, even to herself. But since their return to Vale, she’d been unable to hide any longer. She wasn’t even sure if Isaac shared her feelings, but she suspected he did. If only she could gather the courage to speak to him about it. She suddenly realised that tears were rolling down her cheeks. Frustrated, she scrubbed them away, trying to compose herself. She looked out at the mountains. The sun was more than half visible over the peaks.
          “Maybe today,” she thought to herself, “maybe today will finally bring something.” It was time she was going. Carefully, she picked her way down from her vantage point, heading back into the village. Halfway down, her eyes fell on the deep, black gorge left by Mt. Aleph. She’d heard stories of what had happened; flashes of light at the peak, the ground shaking as if convulsing. She felt a prickling in her spine, a small knot of tension forming in her stomach. The gorge scared her. Not a lot, and for no reason she could put her finger on. Maybe she had just grown too paranoid. She continued her descent, deliberately not looking at the gorge again.

Since the reconstruction had been completed, Vale had become a centre for Adepts. They travelled from the farthest corners of Weyard to come and learn about Psynergy and Alchemy. Jenna had never realised just how many Adepts there were in the world. More often than not, the village was filled to bursting point. There had been visitors from Imil, Contigo, Prox, even Garoh and Izumo. The most memorable had been the contingent from Lemuria, gazing around in wonderment at everything. They had been cooped up alone in Lemuria for centuries, and now they were finally able to travel and explore. As Jenna crossed one of the bridges, she saw a group of children playing near the river. She smiled to herself. Children always made her smile. One day she would have her own, she promised herself that. The most innocent of all human beings, so full of wonder and vitality. They could find an interest in the simplest of things. She walked past them, watching them splash around with the water at the edge of the river. A couple of women, presumably their mothers, stood by, watching also. Jenna sighed and moved on. As she made her way to the village centre, she looked around at what was going on. A lot of the shops were just opening, shopkeepers putting their wares on display outside. A young couple sauntered past, giggling to themselves. A cat shot across the path in front of her, followed a second later by a dog in hot pursuit. Jenna walked on.

As she reached the village centre, the streets became more crowded. There wasn’t room to move in the centre, people filled every square inch. Carefully, she squeezed her way around the edge, heading for the Psynergy Stone. A small dais had been erected in front of it. Nearby stood the village mayor, Isaac and Garet. She reached them and stood next to Isaac.
          “Ah, good. You’ve arrived,” said the mayor to her, “we can begin now.”
          Isaac turned to her.
          “Are you ready?” he asked. Jenna shrugged.
          As ready as I’ll ever be,” she replied, “lets get on with this.”
          “About time,” muttered Garet, “all this waiting around is making me hungry.”
          Isaac shook his head.
          “Garet, you only had breakfast not too long ago.”
          “So? Waiting around makes me hungry.” Jenna giggled. Garet looked at her.
          “I’m glad you find it funny,” he said, a faintly hurt expression crossing his face, “waiting probably doesn’t make you hungry.”
          “Garet, shut up. You can eat when we’re finished.” Isaac gestured at the dais.
          “Shall we?” he said. The others nodded, up climbed onto the dais. An expectant hush settled over the waiting crowd. The mayor cleared his throat.
          “Ladies and gentlemen,” he said, his voice ringing clear over the gathered crowd,” thank you all for attending this day. We are gathered here to remember a great friend of the village, who has sadly passed away quite recently. That friend was the great scholar, Kraden.” The mayor paused, then continued.
          “Kraden was a great scholar, and a truly friendly man. He spent a lot of his life in Vale, devoting his life to the study of Alchemy. His research had uncovered secrets long forgotten by most men. During his time here, he helped teach many of our young people about Alchemy, the source of our Psynergy. Kraden also earned many friends in the village, as he was never adverse to helping if he could.”
          “Unfortunately, he was kidnapped at the same time as the Elemental Stars were stolen from Sol Sanctum. He travelled with the thieves, continuing his research. He was the one who discovered that our world was dying, and how to stop it. Once the Elemental Lighthouses had been fired, he returned to Vale, helping to rebuild our village and continuing his studies. Alas, however, time eventually caught up with him, and he died in his sleep, not two weeks past. He will be sadly missed. I now call on you all to be silent for a time, and remember a great and generous man, the scholar Kraden.” Everyone bowed their heads. Jenna’s thoughts drifted to her journey with Kraden. He’d always been so interested in the places they visited. The lighthouses had him awestruck. It was such a pity that he had passed away. At least he died peacefully, of old age and not illness. The mayor cleared his throat once more.
          “Once again, I thank you all for attending. Kraden may have passed on, but his work remains, and it is this that I now turn to.
          “Over the past 15 years, Kraden had been extensively studying the four elements now unleashed in the lighthouses. However, this research led him to a discovery no one had even considered. He uncovered past legends, telling of Adepts other than ourselves, of elements now unknown to us. There is no reference as to how these elements were referred to, but they did interact with our own. This led him to study the lighthouses now they are lit, and this is where he made his most important discovery.” The mayor bowed his head before continuing.
          There is evidence that, although the lighthouses have stopped the erosion of Weyard by Gaia Falls, we are not out of the woods yet. The elements are becoming unstable, the raw power being too much for the lighthouses to properly contain. The effect is small at the moment, but it will only grow worse as time passes. Far from being saved, Weyard is now threatened with destruction once again.” Voices rose in the crowd, people looked at each other. The mayor raised his hand for silence.
          “However, there is still hope. His research led him to discover the existence of a fifth lighthouse, called Sol Lighthouse. Apparently, if the beacon of Sol Lighthouse is ignited, it will bring the four elements back under control. We do not know the location of the Sol Star to light the beacon, but we do know the location of Sol Lighthouse. It is situated inside Mt. Aleph.” Voices rose in the crowd once more, speculation rife. The mayor smiled. The discovery had shocked him to. Once more he raised his hand for silence.
          “With this new information, we can once again save the world from destruction. To this end, we once again send out our selfless heroes. Tomorrow, Isaac, Garet and Jenna leave in search of the Sol Star.” The crowd cheered and applauded. Jenna smiled shyly. She still wasn’t used to the attention she received, even after 15 years. Isaac looked at her and Garet.
          “This is it then,” he said, “back out into the wide world.” Jenna grinned.
          “It’ll be fun,” she said, “seeing all the new developments in the world, seeing what we achieved when we lit the lighthouses.” Garet frowned.
          “Great, all that travelling means no time for a decent breakfast. I have to live on…” he got no further as Jenna put her hand over his mouth.
          “Be quiet, you miserable kid. We all know you enjoy these journeys, so stop the false complaints, alright?” Garet nodded, and she moved her hand away. Isaac looked at the crowd, then turned back to his companions.
          “We’d better get ready,” he said, “we leave early tomorrow.” The others nodded, then went their separate ways.

OK, the last part isn't brilliant, I know. I'll probably gom over chapter 2 again before posting it.

#5   isaac2112 

• Gallant
          • PipPipPip
            • Location:the land of the ice and snow from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow
            • Interests:the band led zeppelin. the band rush. <br /><br />2112<br /><br />[I. Overture]<br /><br />And the meek shall inherit the earth...<br /><br />[II. Temples of Syrinx]<br /><br />...'The massive grey walls of the Temples rise from the heart of every Federation city. I <br />have always been awed by them, to think that every single facet of every life is regulated <br />and directed from within! Our books, our music, our work and play are all looked after by <br />the benevolent wisdom of the priests...'<br /><br />We've taken care of everything<br />The words you hear, the songs you sing<br />The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes<br />It's one for all and all for one<br />We work together, common sons<br />Never need to wonder how or why<br /><br />We are the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx<br />Our great computers fill the hallowed halls<br />We are the Priests, of the Temples of Syrinx<br />All the gifts of life are held within our walls<br /><br />Look around at this world we've made<br />Equality our stock in trade<br />Come and join the Brotherhood of Man<br />Oh, what a nice, contented world<br />Let the banners be unfurled<br />Hold the Red Star proudly high in hand<br /><br />We are the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx<br />Our great computers fill the hallowed halls<br />We are the Priests, of the Temples of Syrinx<br />All the gifts of life are held within our walls<br /><br />[III. Discovery]<br /><br />'...Behind my beloved waterfall, in the little room that was hidden beneath the cave, I <br />found it. I brushed away the dust of the years, and picked it up, holding it reverently in <br />my hands. I had no idea what it might be, but it was beautiful...'<br /><br />'...I learned to lay my fingers across the wires, and to turn the keys to make them sound <br />differently. As I struck the wires with my other hand, I produced my first harmonious sounds <br />and soon my own music! How different it could be from the music of the Temples! I can't wait <br />to tell the priests about it!...'<br /><br />What can this strange device be?<br />When I touch it, it gives forth a sound<br />It's got wires that vibrate and give music<br />What can this thing be that I found?<br /><br />See how it sings like a sad heart<br />And joyously screams out its pain<br />Sounds that build high like a mountain<br />Or notes that fall gently like rain<br /><br />I can't wait to share this new wonder<br />The people will all see its light<br />Let them all make their own music<br />The Priests praise my name on this night<br /><br />[IV. Presentation]<br /><br />'...In the sudden silence as I finished playing, I looked up to a circle of grim, <br />expressionless faces. Father Brown rose to his feet, and his somnolent voice echoed <br />throughout the silent Temple Hall...'<br /><br />'...Instead of the grateful joy that I expected, they were words of quiet rejection! <br />Instead of praise, sullen dismissal. I watched in shock and horror as Father Brown ground <br />my precious instrument to splinters beneath his feet...'<br /><br />I know it's most unusual<br />To come before you so<br />But I've found an ancient miracle<br />I thought that you should know<br />Listen to my music<br />And hear what it can do<br />There's something here as strong as life<br />I know that it will reach you<br /><br />Yes, we know, it's nothing new<br />It's just a waste of time<br />We have no need for ancient ways<br />The world is doing fine<br />Another toy will help destroy<br />The elder race of man<br />Forget about your silly whim<br />It doesn't fit the plan<br /><br />I can't believe you're saying<br />These things just can't be true<br />Our world could use this beauty<br />Just think what we might do<br />Listen to my music<br />And hear what it can do<br />There's something here as strong as life<br />I know that it will reach you<br /><br />Don't annoy us further!<br />We have our work to do<br />Just think about the average<br />What use have they for you?<br />Another toy will help destroy<br />The elder race of man<br />Forget about your silly whim<br />It doesn't fit the Plan!<br /><br />[V. Oracle: The Dream]<br /><br />'...I guess it was a dream, but even now it all seems so vivid to me. Clearly yet I see <br />the beckoning hand of the oracle as he stood at the summit of the staircase...'<br /><br />'...I see still the incredible beauty of the sculptured cities and the pure spirit of man <br />revealed in the lives and works of this world. I was overwhelmed by both wonder and <br />understanding as I saw a completely different way to life, a way that had been crushed <br />by the Federation long ago. I saw now how meaningless life had become with the loss of <br />all these things...'<br /><br />I wandered home though the silent streets<br />And fell into a fitful sleep<br />Escape to realms beyond the night<br />Dream can't you show me the light?<br /><br />I stand atop a spiral stair<br />An oracle confronts me there<br />He leads me on light years away<br />Through astral nights, galactic days<br />I see the works of gifted hands<br />That grace this strange and wondrous land<br />I see the hand of man arise<br />With hungry mind and open eyes<br /><br />They left the planet long ago<br />The elder race still learn and grow<br />Their power grows with purpose strong<br />To claim the home where they belong<br />Home to tear the Temples down...<br />Home to change!<br /><br />[VI. Soliloquy]<br /><br />'...I have not left this cave for days now, it has become my last refuge in my total <br />despair. I have only the music of the waterfall to comfort me now. I can no longer live <br />under the control of the Federation, but there is no other place to go. My last hope is <br />that with my death I may pass into the world of my dream, and know peace at last.'<br /><br />The sleep is still in my eyes<br />The dream is still in my head<br />I heave a sigh and sadly smile<br />And lie a while in bed<br />I wish that it might come to pass<br />Not fade like all my dreams...<br /><br />Just think of what my life might be<br />In a world like I have seen!<br />I don't think I can carry on<br />Carry on this cold and empty life<br /><br />My spirits are low in the depths of despair<br />My lifeblood...<br />...Spills over...<br /><br />[VII. The Grand Finale]<br /><br />Attention all Planets of the Solar Federation<br />Attention all Planets of the Solar Federation<br />Attention all Planets of the Solar Federation<br />We have assumed control<br />We have assumed control<br />We have assumed control<br /><br />Whole Lotta Love <br />(Bonham/Jones/Page/Plant) <br /><br />You need coolin', baby, I'm not foolin', <br />I'm gonna send you back to schoolin', <br />Way down inside honey, you need it, <br />I'm gonna give you my love, <br />I'm gonna give you my love. <br /><br />*Wanna Whole Lotta Love (X4) <br /><br />You've been learnin', baby, I bean learnin', <br />All them good times, baby, baby, I've been yearnin', <br />Way, way down inside honey, you need it, <br />I'm gonna give you my love... I'm gonna give you my love. <br /><br />* Chorus <br /><br />You've been coolin', baby, I've been droolin', <br />All the good times I've been misusin', <br />Way, way down inside, I'm gonna give you my love, <br />I'm gonna give you every inch of my love, <br />Gonna give you my love. <br /><br />* Chorus <br /><br />Way down inside... woman... You need... love. <br /><br />Shake for me, girl. I wanna be your backdoor man. <br />Keep it coolin', baby. <br /><br />Black Dog <br />(Jones/Page/Plant) <br /><br />Hey, hey, mama, said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove. <br />Oh, oh, child, way you shake that thing, gonna make you burn, gonna make you sting. <br />Hey, hey, baby, when you walk that way, watch your honey drip, can't keep away. <br /><br />*Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah. Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah. <br /><br />I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill. <br />Eyes that shine burning red, dreams of you all through my head. <br /><br />Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah. <br /><br />Hey, baby, oh, baby, pretty baby, Tell me won't you you do me now. <br /><br />Didn't take too long 'fore I found out, what people mean my down and out. <br />Spent my money, took my car, started telling her friends she wants to be a star. <br />I don't know but I been told, a big-legged woman ain't got no soul. <br /><br />* Chorus <br /><br />All I ask for when I pray, steady rollin' woman gonna come my way. <br />Need a woman gonna hold my hand, won't tell me no lies, make me a happy man. <br /><br />Immigrant Song <br />(Page/Plant) <br /><br />Ah, ah, <br />We come from the land of the ice and snow, <br />From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow. <br />The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands, <br />To fight the horde, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming! <br /><br />On we sweep with threshing oar, Our only goal will be the western shore. <br /><br />Ah, ah, <br />We come from the land of the ice and snow, <br />From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow. <br />How soft your fields so green, can whisper tales of gore, <br />Of how we calmed the tides of war. We are your overlords. <br /><br />On we sweep with threshing oar, Our only goal will be the western shore. <br /><br />So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins, <br />For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing.

Posted 21 August 2005 - 08:44 PM

good, but wasn't vale destroyed

#6   Eugine 

• Master Adept
              • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 22 August 2005 - 06:25 AM

And in Angara, the villagers of Vale began to rebuild after the rising of the Golden Sun and the subsequent sinking of Mt. Aleph. The village of Vale grew in the foothills of Mt. Aleph, surrounding the vast gorge left by the sacred mountain.

Read the thing over again.

I'll get to read Chapter 1 sometime today, I'm too lazy to read it now.

#7   Aurorus Arialis 

• New User

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:19 AM

Chapter 2

As Jenna and the others left, the crowd began to disperse. Small groups of people formed, talking excitedly in low voices. There had been a feeling going around for some time that something was brewing, something big. The lighting of the lighthouses was supposed to bring an end to the troubles of Weyard, but it had only delayed them for a time.

Arian moved away from the village centre, deep in thought. He was a Mercury Adept, 18 years of age, originally from Imil. His mother had died giving birth to him, somewhere near the North. His father had returned to Imil with him, raising him alone. He had been three when the final lighthouse was lit; he dimly remembered what had happened, a huge beam of blue light emerging from the lighthouse peak, heading southwest, towards Mt. Aleph. Two years ago, his father died from a severe illness that even Mia had been unable to treat. Arian had travelled to Vale after that, seeking to strengthen his Psynergy abilities. He carried his father’s Sapphire Blade in the scabbard on his back. His father had given it to him as he lay on his deathbed. It was a powerful weapon.

Arian reached one of the bridges and leant against the side rail, looking downstream. He could see people going about their lives, shopkeepers selling their wares, children playing, couples walking hand in hand. Arian sighed, wishing he was in Imil. It was summer, and the sun highlighting Mercury Lighthouse had always been an incredible sight. He found it hard to imagine the light of Mercury being anything but serene.

As he stood there, there was a commotion somewhere among the nearby buildings. Arian turned and looked, a faintly puzzled expression on his face. This soon changed to a frown when he saw the cause of it. A young Jupiter Adept from Contigo was being pursued by a group of six or so girls from Vale. The girls formed a gang that picked on anyone who took their fancy at that particular moment. Arian had never got on well with them, and this didn’t look like it was going to help matters. The Jupiter Adept (whose name was Jaleena) approached the bridge at a run, darting hunted looks over her shoulder. The girls were in hot pursuit. As Jaleena passed him, Arian stepped backwards and turned towards the gang, who came to a sudden halt in front of him.
                “Move, now!” demanded their leader, a 17 year old Venus Adept named Cassandra. She had lived in Vale all her life, and was a very promising young Adept. Out of all the young people in Vale, Arian and Cassandra were the two who held the most potential. Cassandra crossed her arms, tossing her dark brown hair.
                I told you to move,” she sneered, looking Arian up and down, “now move, or I’ll move you myself!” Jaleena stood on the opposite bank, staring wide-eyed at the scene before her. Arian snorted.
                “If you think you can move me, you’re welcome to try,” he said, his voice like ice. The rest of the gang stared at him as if he had grown another two heads. Few had ever stood up to them before; all of them had regretted it. Cassandra laughed, the sound cold and menacing.
                “You’ll regret this,” she said, drawing her sword. Arian drew his own, moving back to one end of the bridge. He looked over his shoulder at Jaleena, who was still staring.
                “Go!” he told her, “I’ll deal with them.” Jaleena pulled herself together and fled. Arian turned his attention back to Cassandra. She held her sword ready.
                “You’re a fool,” she said, a glint in her eyes, “you will learn. Don’t underestimate me.”
                “You’re the one underestimating,” replied Arian, “you’re bullying has gone on long enough, it stops here. Now.” Cassandra laughed, then charged. Arian made to parry, and at that moment a massive surge of water blasted up from directly beneath the bridge, knocking it onto its side. Cassandra and Arian managed to hang on, but the rest of the gang were thrown into the raging river waters below.
                “What are you DOING?!” Cassandra screamed at him, fear flashing in her eyes. Arian shook his head.
                “I haven’t done anything! I wouldn’t even know where to start. Look around.” Cassandra did. The once peaceful river had become a raging torrent, water cascading downstream like a landslide. More surges of water flew up from the river. The sky, clear only minutes ago, was now a heaving black mass of storm clouds. Lightning flashed, and the rain began, pounding the ground. The bridge slipped slightly, loose stones falling into the river below.
                “We’ve got to get off here!” he shouted to Cassandra. Dumbly, she nodded her agreement, and the two of them edged their way to the side. Arian jumped off onto the grass, then helped Cassandra off the bridge, just as it gave way and plummeted, smashing into pieces as it hit the river. All around they could here screams and shouts over the storm above.
                “Let’s get to the village centre,” yelled Cassandra over the din, “everyone should be gathering there!” Arian nodded, and they set off at a run. They found an intact bridge, crossed the river, then made for the village centre. Others were running in the opposite direction, forcing Arian and Cassandra to take a different route. They emerged behind the Psynergy Stone; on a small rise set above the centre. They stopped dead, almost falling over themselves, and stared. Isaac, Garet and Jenna stood there, weapons held ready. Another figure stood in front of the Psynergy Stone, his back to Arian and Cassandra. His body glowed with power, drawn directly from the Stone. Alex looked at the heroes and laughed.
                “I should thank you,” he said to them, his wild blue hair moving in the wind of the storm, “for lighting the Lighthouses for me. It is such a pity the Wise One had to…interfere.” He laughed again. Jenna shook her head.
                “But how did you survive?” she asked, “Mt. Aleph was drawn into the earth…”
                “Do you really underestimate my power so?” interrupted Alex, “you, the one who witnessed what I was capable of at Venus Lighthouse against those Tolbian fools? I received the pure power of Alchemy when the Golden Sun rose, and you ask how I survived?” he shook his head, his features twisted with scorn.
                “You underestimate me as the Wise One did! He thought trapping me at the peak of Mt. Aleph would finish me. How wrong he was. In the depths of Weyard I have learned to use what I acquired to it’s fullest extent. I may not have it all, but I have enough.”
                “Do you really think we’re gonna let you out of here alive?” Garet yelled at him, “you’re the one who underestimates us!” Alex scowled.
                “Stupid fool!” he spat, “The Wise One couldn’t destroy me, do you think you can?”
                “You leave us with no choice,” Isaac replied, “You used us all. Now you pay dearly.” Alex’s laugh was cold.
                “Then try,” he said, “allow me to demonstrate exactly what I have achieved.” Garet charged, as Jenna cast Dragon Fume on him. Alex dodged Garet’s blow, then staggered backwards as Dragon Fume hit him. Hissing with anger, he held up his arm. Blue light enveloped it, and he turned to face Garet, who charged again. Before Garet could reach him, a beam of ice shot from his outstretched hand, hitting Garet full in the chest. The look of shock was frozen on Garet’s face as the ice enveloped him, freezing him solid in a block of Psynergetic ice. Jenna cast Dragon Fume on the ice, but it had no effect. Alex laughed again, his laugh high and evil.
                “Do you see now?” he asked, turning his head to regard Isaac and Jenna, “do you realise the inevitability of your defeat?” Isaac raised his Sol Blade, pointing it at Alex.
                “Never!” he shouted, his eyes narrowed, “I will never let you escape!” The Sol Blade began to glow. Alex smirked, then fired the beam of ice, just as Isaac jumped. The beam narrowly missed him as he soared into the air, his weapon glowing like a star. Alex could only watch as the meteorite smashed into him from the skies. Isaac landed, unleashing Granite as he did so. Jenna cast searing Beam on Alex. Alex dodged her attack, then fired the beam again. It struck Granite’s barrier, stopping dead. Alex hissed again, throwing beam after beam at Isaac and Jenna. None hit home, but it was all they could do to dodge his onslaught. Sweat beaded Alex’s forehead, his concentration momentarily faltering. Isaac saw his chance, unleashing Flint, striking Alex hard. Alex grabbed Isaac’s arm as he swung at his head.
                “Fool!” he screamed, “Now you suffer the same fate!” At such a close range, Isaac stood no chance of dodging Alex’s attack, the ice freezing him to the core. Jenna stood there, her face holding an expression of sheer shock.
                “How can he be so powerful?” she thought desperately to herself, “we can’t even hurt him!” Alex stood facing her, panting heavily. His power was tiring him. He smiled as he watched her.
                “Too late you realise your stupidity,” he said, shaking his head, “too late you realise the hopelessness of your resistance of me.” Jenna gripped her Nebula Wand tightly as she backed away. Alex took a step toward her, and she hit him with everything she could muster. She forced Alex back step by step with her Psynergy, until she had no power left. Alex saw this, his smile mocking.
                “It’s too late to run, my dear. It’s over for you now.” Alex raised his arm again, and Jenna could only stand there as the ice claimed her.

Arian and Cassandra watched as Alex encased Jenna in ice. They couldn’t believe what they were seeing. Nobody had that amount of power, nobody. Alex crouched, gathering his strength again. His eyes looked upon the Sol Blade that lay near Isaac’s tomb. Arian saw him slowly get to his feet and make towards it. He desperately looked around, seeing a large stone in the ground. He grabbed it, heaving it out and hefting it. As Alex reached the fallen weapon, Arian threw the stone. It hit Alex square on the side of the head as he bent to retrieve the sword, sending him sprawling. Before Arian could stop her, Cassandra drew her sword and jumped off the ledge. Arian cursed, drawing his own weapon from the scabbard on his back, following her off the ledge. Alex slowly clambered to his feet, turning to Arian and Cassandra. Cassandra’s face was pure anger. Alex was seething; he was barely able to stand anymore.
                “You will all regret this!” he spat, his eyes colder than glaciers, “you will all pay for the dream that was taken from me. That power belongs to me, and nothing will stop me acquiring it!” With that he vanished in glittering light.

The storm ended almost as suddenly as it had begun, the river settled down to its usual gentle flow. Already repairs had begun on the damage. The ice tombs holding Isaac, Garet and Jenna had been moved inside the sanctum. Horror and fear had filled the eyes of the people as they returned to the village centre and found the saviours of the world defeated in such a way. After Alex had fled, Arian and Cassandra had tried everything they could think of to free them, but to no avail. The ice wasn’t even marked from their best efforts. Once they had been moved into the sanctum, the prisons had been looked at by the healers of Vale, but still to no avail. The ice was completely unbreakable. The parents of Isaac, Garet and Jenna now stood in the sanctum. Dora was visibly shaken; Jenna’s mother was in tears. Arian stood to one side of the sanctum, Cassandra was sitting nearby. They had both steadfastly ignored each other. The Great Healer entered the sanctum, followed by the mayor. The Great Healer moved to the altar, then turned to face the others. They mayor stood in the middle of the room, surrounded by the worried parents. The Great Healer shook his head.
                “I am sorry, but there is nothing we can do. The Psynergy used is beyond anything we have ever come across before”
                “Could Mia do anything?” asked the mayor. The Great Healer shook his head.
                “Her abilities are beyond that of any healer in Vale, but the Psynergy used is extremely powerful. She may be able to help, but I don’t think even her abilities are strong enough.”
                “Are…are they still…?” Jenna’s mother asked in a choked voice.
                “I am unsure, but I think so. There is no indication that they did not survive. My thoughts on the matter, based on evidence provided by Arian and Cassandra, are that Alex did not have enough power to kill them, and that this would suit his ends more adequately. He was weakening, using this power. If he hadn’t had access to the Psynergy Stone, he may not even have been able to accomplish this.”
                “Then what should we do?” asked Kyle.
                “Alex must be stopped,” said a voice. Sparkling light appeared above the altar, and the Wise One emerged. Its eye studied the people gathered in the sanctum.
                “His powers are weak compared to what he could have acquired,” said the Wise One, “however, if he reaches Mercury Lighthouse, he can erase his weakness. He is a Mercury Adept, so the light of the lighthouse will revitalise him.” Garet’s mother stepped forward.
                “Can you free our children?” she asked the Wise One.
                “I cannot,” he answered, “the Psynergy Alex now possesses is unfathomable to me. He is a Mercury Adept, and so the powers he has gained will be based on mercury Psynergy. If he had achieved all he wanted to…”
                “Alex mentioned that,” spoke up Cassandra from her seat, “what does that mean? He was at the peak of Mt. Aleph when the Golden Sun formed. Surely that should mean he got all the power shouldn’t it?” The Wise One turned its attention to her.
                “I…redirected some of the power of the forming Golden Sun, so he could not claim all of the power. However, what he has acquired is by far more powerful than anything any other Adept has managed to achieve.”
                “If the Psynergy used was Mercury based, then Mia should be able to reverse it shouldn’t she?” asked Jenna’s father.
                “I do not know,” replied the Wise One, “I do not think so, but I admit that I do not know the full extent of her abilities. However, I would say she is your best hope, unless Alex has a change of heart.”
                “So we need to bring Mia here,” said the mayor to the others, “any ideas about who we can send?”
                “There is more,” said the Wise One. Everyone’s attention once again centred on him. “Alex is now searching for a way to gain what he failed to 15 years ago. He must be stopped before he succeeds.”
                “I guess that he doesn’t know about Sol Lighthouse then,” said Arian, looking directly at the Wise One. The Wise One closed its eye for a few moments, and then almost seemed to sigh.
                “He does not,” replied the Wise One, “and it may have been better if it had remained a secret to all. With the knowledge out in the open, there is a good chance Alex…”
                “Hold on,” interrupted Cassandra, twisting round in her seat, “how can you say it would be better if Sol Lighthouse had remained a secret? The four elements are growing unstable, and in time will tear Weyard apart. Sol Lighthouse is the only way to bring them back under control. Are you saying it would be better for Weyard to be destroyed?”
                “That wasn’t my meaning,” replied the Wise One, “if Alex learns about Sol Lighthouse, then he knows how to claim the power completely. Sol Lighthouse can do that. Alex must be stopped before that can happen.” The Wise One moved over to Cassandra and Arian, looking at each of them in turn.
                “And you are the ones who must do it.”
                “Us?” asked Cassandra incredulously, “why us?”
                “Because you have they most potential of anyone else here, and nobody stronger is in a position to do this. Weyard is in need of new heroes. You two must rise to the challenge.”
                “Then I’ll do it,” said Arian, “Alex is a member of the Mercury Clan, as am I. He can’t be allowed to get away with this.”
                “And you?” asked the Wise One, looking at Cassandra. She sighed.
                “It doesn’t look like I have much choice. But do we stand much of a chance. With Alex being this powerful?”
                “Alex will not attack you directly. He prefers using people from the background than forcing them by fighting. I also doubt he will try to interfere before he reaches Mercury Lighthouse. His powers are weakening him too much.”
                “Is there any aid you can give them?” asked the mayor.
                “I give each of you a djinni of your corresponding element,” said the Wise One. Two djinn, one Venus, the other Mercury, glittered into existence. “The Mercury Djinn Jet, and the Venus Djinn Stone. They will help you on your quest. The fate of the world is in your hands. Cassandra, Arian, you must not fail us.” The Wise One vanished.

Later that day Arian and Cassandra left the main gate into Vale. The afternoon sun reflected from the rivers flowing through the village. Cassandra stopped to look back. Arian waited for her a little way off. With a nod to herself, Cassandra turned away, and the two of them set off on their quest.

May take me a while to update again, I haven't got far with the next chapter. As for this chapter, I struggled a little towards the end (you can probably tell), but as always, you're comments are appreciated.

#8   isaac2112 

• Gallant
                • PipPipPip
                  • Location:the land of the ice and snow from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow
                  • Interests:the band led zeppelin. the band rush. <br /><br />2112<br /><br />[I. Overture]<br /><br />And the meek shall inherit the earth...<br /><br />[II. Temples of Syrinx]<br /><br />...'The massive grey walls of the Temples rise from the heart of every Federation city. I <br />have always been awed by them, to think that every single facet of every life is regulated <br />and directed from within! Our books, our music, our work and play are all looked after by <br />the benevolent wisdom of the priests...'<br /><br />We've taken care of everything<br />The words you hear, the songs you sing<br />The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes<br />It's one for all and all for one<br />We work together, common sons<br />Never need to wonder how or why<br /><br />We are the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx<br />Our great computers fill the hallowed halls<br />We are the Priests, of the Temples of Syrinx<br />All the gifts of life are held within our walls<br /><br />Look around at this world we've made<br />Equality our stock in trade<br />Come and join the Brotherhood of Man<br />Oh, what a nice, contented world<br />Let the banners be unfurled<br />Hold the Red Star proudly high in hand<br /><br />We are the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx<br />Our great computers fill the hallowed halls<br />We are the Priests, of the Temples of Syrinx<br />All the gifts of life are held within our walls<br /><br />[III. Discovery]<br /><br />'...Behind my beloved waterfall, in the little room that was hidden beneath the cave, I <br />found it. I brushed away the dust of the years, and picked it up, holding it reverently in <br />my hands. I had no idea what it might be, but it was beautiful...'<br /><br />'...I learned to lay my fingers across the wires, and to turn the keys to make them sound <br />differently. As I struck the wires with my other hand, I produced my first harmonious sounds <br />and soon my own music! How different it could be from the music of the Temples! I can't wait <br />to tell the priests about it!...'<br /><br />What can this strange device be?<br />When I touch it, it gives forth a sound<br />It's got wires that vibrate and give music<br />What can this thing be that I found?<br /><br />See how it sings like a sad heart<br />And joyously screams out its pain<br />Sounds that build high like a mountain<br />Or notes that fall gently like rain<br /><br />I can't wait to share this new wonder<br />The people will all see its light<br />Let them all make their own music<br />The Priests praise my name on this night<br /><br />[IV. Presentation]<br /><br />'...In the sudden silence as I finished playing, I looked up to a circle of grim, <br />expressionless faces. Father Brown rose to his feet, and his somnolent voice echoed <br />throughout the silent Temple Hall...'<br /><br />'...Instead of the grateful joy that I expected, they were words of quiet rejection! <br />Instead of praise, sullen dismissal. I watched in shock and horror as Father Brown ground <br />my precious instrument to splinters beneath his feet...'<br /><br />I know it's most unusual<br />To come before you so<br />But I've found an ancient miracle<br />I thought that you should know<br />Listen to my music<br />And hear what it can do<br />There's something here as strong as life<br />I know that it will reach you<br /><br />Yes, we know, it's nothing new<br />It's just a waste of time<br />We have no need for ancient ways<br />The world is doing fine<br />Another toy will help destroy<br />The elder race of man<br />Forget about your silly whim<br />It doesn't fit the plan<br /><br />I can't believe you're saying<br />These things just can't be true<br />Our world could use this beauty<br />Just think what we might do<br />Listen to my music<br />And hear what it can do<br />There's something here as strong as life<br />I know that it will reach you<br /><br />Don't annoy us further!<br />We have our work to do<br />Just think about the average<br />What use have they for you?<br />Another toy will help destroy<br />The elder race of man<br />Forget about your silly whim<br />It doesn't fit the Plan!<br /><br />[V. Oracle: The Dream]<br /><br />'...I guess it was a dream, but even now it all seems so vivid to me. Clearly yet I see <br />the beckoning hand of the oracle as he stood at the summit of the staircase...'<br /><br />'...I see still the incredible beauty of the sculptured cities and the pure spirit of man <br />revealed in the lives and works of this world. I was overwhelmed by both wonder and <br />understanding as I saw a completely different way to life, a way that had been crushed <br />by the Federation long ago. I saw now how meaningless life had become with the loss of <br />all these things...'<br /><br />I wandered home though the silent streets<br />And fell into a fitful sleep<br />Escape to realms beyond the night<br />Dream can't you show me the light?<br /><br />I stand atop a spiral stair<br />An oracle confronts me there<br />He leads me on light years away<br />Through astral nights, galactic days<br />I see the works of gifted hands<br />That grace this strange and wondrous land<br />I see the hand of man arise<br />With hungry mind and open eyes<br /><br />They left the planet long ago<br />The elder race still learn and grow<br />Their power grows with purpose strong<br />To claim the home where they belong<br />Home to tear the Temples down...<br />Home to change!<br /><br />[VI. Soliloquy]<br /><br />'...I have not left this cave for days now, it has become my last refuge in my total <br />despair. I have only the music of the waterfall to comfort me now. I can no longer live <br />under the control of the Federation, but there is no other place to go. My last hope is <br />that with my death I may pass into the world of my dream, and know peace at last.'<br /><br />The sleep is still in my eyes<br />The dream is still in my head<br />I heave a sigh and sadly smile<br />And lie a while in bed<br />I wish that it might come to pass<br />Not fade like all my dreams...<br /><br />Just think of what my life might be<br />In a world like I have seen!<br />I don't think I can carry on<br />Carry on this cold and empty life<br /><br />My spirits are low in the depths of despair<br />My lifeblood...<br />...Spills over...<br /><br />[VII. The Grand Finale]<br /><br />Attention all Planets of the Solar Federation<br />Attention all Planets of the Solar Federation<br />Attention all Planets of the Solar Federation<br />We have assumed control<br />We have assumed control<br />We have assumed control<br /><br />Whole Lotta Love <br />(Bonham/Jones/Page/Plant) <br /><br />You need coolin', baby, I'm not foolin', <br />I'm gonna send you back to schoolin', <br />Way down inside honey, you need it, <br />I'm gonna give you my love, <br />I'm gonna give you my love. <br /><br />*Wanna Whole Lotta Love (X4) <br /><br />You've been learnin', baby, I bean learnin', <br />All them good times, baby, baby, I've been yearnin', <br />Way, way down inside honey, you need it, <br />I'm gonna give you my love... I'm gonna give you my love. <br /><br />* Chorus <br /><br />You've been coolin', baby, I've been droolin', <br />All the good times I've been misusin', <br />Way, way down inside, I'm gonna give you my love, <br />I'm gonna give you every inch of my love, <br />Gonna give you my love. <br /><br />* Chorus <br /><br />Way down inside... woman... You need... love. <br /><br />Shake for me, girl. I wanna be your backdoor man. <br />Keep it coolin', baby. <br /><br />Black Dog <br />(Jones/Page/Plant) <br /><br />Hey, hey, mama, said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove. <br />Oh, oh, child, way you shake that thing, gonna make you burn, gonna make you sting. <br />Hey, hey, baby, when you walk that way, watch your honey drip, can't keep away. <br /><br />*Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah. Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah. <br /><br />I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill. <br />Eyes that shine burning red, dreams of you all through my head. <br /><br />Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah. <br /><br />Hey, baby, oh, baby, pretty baby, Tell me won't you you do me now. <br /><br />Didn't take too long 'fore I found out, what people mean my down and out. <br />Spent my money, took my car, started telling her friends she wants to be a star. <br />I don't know but I been told, a big-legged woman ain't got no soul. <br /><br />* Chorus <br /><br />All I ask for when I pray, steady rollin' woman gonna come my way. <br />Need a woman gonna hold my hand, won't tell me no lies, make me a happy man. <br /><br />Immigrant Song <br />(Page/Plant) <br /><br />Ah, ah, <br />We come from the land of the ice and snow, <br />From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow. <br />The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands, <br />To fight the horde, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming! <br /><br />On we sweep with threshing oar, Our only goal will be the western shore. <br /><br />Ah, ah, <br />We come from the land of the ice and snow, <br />From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow. <br />How soft your fields so green, can whisper tales of gore, <br />Of how we calmed the tides of war. We are your overlords. <br /><br />On we sweep with threshing oar, Our only goal will be the western shore. <br /><br />So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins, <br />For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing.

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:20 AM

Eugine, on Aug 22 2005, 05:25 AM, said:

Read the thing over again.

I'll get to read Chapter 1 sometime today, I'm too lazy to read it now.

oh... my bad. didn't read it correctly.

#9   Mathak Kraven 

• Lord
                  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:40 PM

Pretty, good, still in the basis of Alex coming back, but not that he is centred in it and would destroy Weyard completely. Very nice, something completely different, though, you stole my PMK characters. (hehe, I actually stole them from you, the irony of the story.)

#10   Aurorus Arialis 

• New User

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:45 PM

Mathak Kraven, on Aug 24 2005, 08:40 PM, said:

Very nice, something completely different, though, you stole my PMK characters. (hehe, I actually stole them from you, the irony of the story.)

Don't worry about it. When I finally come up with decent character names I tend to overuse them.

Working on chapter 3, will hopefully post it soon.

#11   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 04 September 2005 - 04:04 PM

I'm counting the minutes. I can't wait for chapter 3!

#12   Somia 

• Disciple
                          • Interests:..Truffles, White Chocolates, Flying, RPGing &amp; a Smile.

Posted 11 September 2005 - 08:37 AM

.woah long chapters..but it's relaly good, I like your writing style.

#13   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                            • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 14 September 2005 - 11:43 AM

Yeah, their very good, can't wait for more. So... Are you going to continue?

#14   Aurorus Arialis 

• New User

Posted 14 September 2005 - 01:08 PM

OK, update. Sorry for the double post but no=one would notice if I just edited the post.

#15   Aurorus Arialis 

• New User

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:24 AM

OK, I finally got it finished. Chapter 3 is up. As always, comments are appreciated.

By the time Arian and Cassandra reached Vault, relations had reached freezing point. Almost as soon as they left Vale they were set upon by a group of Vermin. They dealt with the monsters easily, but the attacks didn’t let up. They entered Vault tired, battered, and argumentative. While Cassandra booked them into the inn for the night, Arian set out to purchase some provisions.

“Can I help you?” asked the innkeeper. Cassandra smiled as she approached the desk.
                                “I’d like to book a couple of rooms please,” she said. The innkeeper opened a leather-bound book that sat on the desk. She skimmed through it, and then looked up at Cassandra.
                                “How many nights will you be staying?” she asked.
                                “Just the one,” said Cassandra. The innkeeper started writing in the book. Cassandra looked round the inn. In another room she could see a few tables. A couple of them were occupied. A young girl dressed in a pale blue dress and white apron came through from the other room. She smiled and nodded to Cassandra as she passed, heading upstairs. Cassandra turned back to the desk as the innkeeper finished writing.
                                “That will be 8 coins please,” said the innkeeper. Cassandra handed over the money, and received two keys in exchange. Cassandra nodded her thanks to the innkeeper then ascended the stairs. She found her room, unlocked the door and threw her possessions into a corner near the bed. The room also contained a small dresser positioned under the window, two chairs, a round table, and a bookcase. Cassandra moved over to the bookcase, studying the books held there. Finding nothing of interest, she sighed, and went back to the top of the stairs to await Arian.

Arian left the potion shop, putting the herbs he’d purchased into a pouch. He looked around Vault, glowing in the late afternoon sun. Kids were playing on the hill surrounding the town, a dog bounding playfully alongside. The people there were going about their lives, completely unaware of what Arian had been asked to do. What he had agreed to do. He sighed to himself, and walked up the cliff towards the watchtower at the northern part of the town. He leant against one of the supports, looking out north towards Lunpa. Lunpa had also had its share of changes over the past years. After the successful rescue attempt of the merchant Hammet, and Dodonpa’s following imprisonment, the thieves of his gang began to los4e faith in him, plotting behind his back. Things came to a head a few months after Hammet’s escape, when a bunch of thieves still loyal to Dodonpa freed him, and then engaged the other thieves inside the fortress. The first the townspeople knew of it was when Donpa, health failing fast, gathered everyone together and announced that Donpapa was the new leader of Lunpa. What exactly happened to Dodonpa still remains a mystery.

As Arian looked out over the fields, an aging man approached him.
                                “Another traveller, eh? Ah, there’s a few around nowadays.” Arian turned to face the man. He had short grey hair, with a round face. He was stooped, using a stick for support. He slowly walked up next to Arian, looking out to the north.
                                “Where are you from?” the man asked.
                                “Imil,” Arian replied. It seemed like the best answer.
                                “You’ve come a long way then. How long’ve you been travelling?”
                                “I’ve been away from Imil for a while.”
                                “Have you been staying somewhere local?”
                                “I’ve been living in Vale.” The man nodded thoughtfully. The two of them stood there, looking out as the sun began to sink below the horizon.
                                “The girl you arrived with, is she a travelling companion?” Arian sighed.
                                “Yeah, but not an easy one to travel with.” The man looked at him.
                                “Trouble?” Arian shook his head.
                                “It’s just… I don’t know. We just can’t seem to get along.”
                                “Give her time. She’ll come around.”
                                “Do you think so?” The man nodded.
                                “I’m sure. People are strange beings, they have reasons for things so deeply hidden you could never find them given an eternity. Sometimes they don’t know the reason themselves. Give her some space, let her sort herself out. It’s all you can do. Argue with her and you’ll only make matters worse.” Arian smiled.
                                “Thanks for the advice.”
                                “Don’t worry about it. It’s a pleasure to see all these young people travelling the world; I like to see them happy and smiling. Anyway, I’d best be going.” The man wandered away. Arian stayed where he was, thinking over the old mans words. Eventually, as the twilight shadows lengthened, he made his way to the inn. The innkeeper smiled as Arian started up the stairs. He was halfway up when something hard hit him on the head. Looking up, he saw a door at the top close. Looking down, he saw a key lying on a step. Sighing, he picked the key up, found his room, and entered.

Early next morning the two of them set off from, heading for the Goma range. The vermin attacks had quietened down, and they made good time to Goma Cave. By this point the weather had grown quite cloudy, and a few drops of rain had fallen, turning the rocks around the cave speckled. As they reached the entrance to the cave, the heavens opened, the rain hammering down onto the ground. In the distance they heard a crash of thunder. Cassandra scowled as she entered the cave. Arian followed close behind. They hadn’t exchanged many words since they left Vault, and in some ways Arian preferred it. But he couldn’t help feeling that this hostile silence would drive him crazy if it continued throughout their quest. They could work together well enough, but communication was frosty to say the least. They stopped just inside the entrance to rest. Large torches on the cave walls showed the interior of the cave. The sound of rushing water could be heard close by, but it was hidden in the darkness. They could hear noises from deeper inside; strange growls from some sort of monster. With a sigh Cassandra stood, and the pair set off into the cave. They followed a path lit by torches, which eventually ran alongside the stream they had heard when they entered. In the dim light the water looked black and menacing. The path ended, and appeared to continue across the water. Large stones stuck up from the water, they looked like they could be used to get across. The water was moving too fast to make wading across feasible. Cassandra was about to start across when Arian grabbed her by the arm and hauled her behind a large boulder.
                                “Get off me?” hissed Cassandra, wrenching her arm away from Arian.
                                “Just look up there,” said Arian, pointing to a ledge across the river. Cassandra looked, and her anger evaporated.
                                “It’s a Djinn!” she said.
                                “It looks like a Mercury Djinn,” said Arian. Jet appeared at his shoulder.
                                “That looks like Stream to me,” it said.
                                “Ironic that, given it’s position,” muttered Arian. Cassandra rolled her eyes.
                                What are its powers?” she asked. Stream stood where he’d been sighted, apparently completely unaware that it was being watched.
                                “Stream can help heal you. He can be very useful, if you can catch him.”
                                “If?” said Arian, looking at Jet. The djinn shuffled uncomfortably.
                                “Stream can be a little…uncooperative. You will probably end up fighting it.”
                                “We’ve got to get to it first,” said Arian, “any ideas?” Cassandra looked thoughtful.
                                “We can’t do anything from this side. Let’s get across and see how things look there.” Arian nodded his agreement, and they stood slowly so as not to disturb the djinn. Stream still appeared oblivious to their presence. Carefully, they began to pick their way across the stepping-stones. When they got halfway across, Stream turned to face them.
                                “Uh oh,” said Arian, as a glow enveloped the djinn. The water below them began to bubble. Cassandra dived forward as a jet of water shot up, knocking Arian into the water. Cassandra caught hold of the bank and hauled herself up. Arian managed to grab another stone as he was swept along with the current.

“I see what you mean about uncooperative,” he muttered to Jet as he scrambled up onto the stone. He quickly made his way across to the bank before Stream could knock him off again, and then walked over to where Cassandra stood, not trying very hard to hide the smile on her face. Arian looked up to where Stream stood, watching them.
                                “Now what?” asked Arian.
                                “Why am I left to do all the thinking here?” said Cassandra, “how about you come up with something.” Arian scowled. Looking around he caught site of a small opening underneath the ledge.
                                “How likely is that thing to jump if we sneak up behind it?” Arian asked Jet.
                                “It’s doubtful it will, not from up there. It might run if it suspects you though.”
                                “We need to distract it,” said Cassandra, “Stone, come here.” Stone appeared at her shoulder.
                                “Do you think you can distract that djinn?” she asked. Stone looked up at Stream.
                                “What do you want me to do, fly up there?” said Stone grumpily, “I can’t reach it from here, how do you…”
                                “Caves are made of rock, and you’re a Venus djinn,” interrupted Cassandra, “I’m sure there’s something you can do.” Stone looked up at the top of the cave.
                                “I’ll see if I can knock some stones loose,” it said. A glow surrounded it, and with a crash a section of the ceiling fell. Stream looked up just in time, jumping out of the way as the boulder hit the ledge. However, the weight of the roof section broke the ledge, which fell to the floor, taking Stream with it. The ledge smashed on the ground, sending chunks of stone flying all over the cave. Arian and Cassandra managed to avoid being hit by the flying rocks, and stood either side of the djinn as it looked around dazed. It spotted Cassandra, then realised Arian was behind it. A glow enveloped it as Arian and Cassandra drew their swords. Stream cast Tundra on Arian as Cassandra charged, weapon forward. Stream dodged Cassandra, then head butted her from behind. Arian cast Ply on Cassandra, unleashing Jet immediately afterwards. A blast of water shot from his outstretched sword, knocking Stream hard into a wall behind. As the djinn got back to its feet, Cassandra unleashed Stone on it, a large boulder smashing down on Stream. The glow disappeared, and the djinn stood there, making no attempt to move as Arian picked it up. Jet appeared again. Stream looked at it.
                                “That wasn’t very nice of you,” said Stream, a hint of annoyance in its voice. Jet vanished again, closely followed by Stream. Arian re-sheathed his sword, then looked for Cassandra. She was already moving away deeper into the cave. With a sigh he followed her.

I struggled with this one a bit, but I think it's come out OK. I'll try to get chapter 4 done a little quicker.

#16   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                                  • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 18 September 2005 - 05:18 AM

Good, quite good. Looking forward to chapter four.

#17   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
                                    • Location:Newport News, VA But not by choice.
                                    • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 18 September 2005 - 06:05 AM

I love the attention to detail. And the dijnn speaking parts in cutscenes. Keep it up!

Page 1 of 1
                                    • You cannot start a new topic
                                    • You cannot reply to this topic