• You cannot reply to this topic

Downloading the ethics

#1   Kikuichimonji 

• Disciple
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • Interests:stuff :)

Posted 09 June 2006 - 01:36 PM

I know, a serious topic by moi. you can stop running away and screaming now.

Okay I kinda though up of this topic because I actually have a dilemna. I have saved up quite a bit of money and I have two things on mind I want to get.

I want either Photoshop CS or a graphics tablet (i have a model in mind)

Plus they are both useful for me next year seeing as I am taking art and DT AS level so no, the whole "which one is more useful" thing is thrown out the window.

I want CS so I can have more tools to play around with (darn crappy elements ;P) and I have gotten better at CGing so it's not like I'm a n00b who doesnt use resources efficiently or whatever.

But a graphics tablet can help me be more detailed in work and would help later in the cleaning up stages of CGing by having less mistakes made on the layers beforehand (okay I know that doesn't make any sense but it does to me ;))

Right, so what does this have to with downloading?

Well I know I can download CS off the internet through a certain P2P program (;P I know most of you know what I'm talking about but I don't want to be mod hunted). However I'm not really sure whether it's a good idea or not. Plus, it's an arse to download x_x

But if I do download it, I can get the grapics tablet as well

So what are your ethics on downloading. I've so far just kept it to anime I can't obtain here (no I don't download stuff which is available to buy here because I want to be an animator I kinda respect that) and some music files (I delete it anyway and buy if I like because I am musician aswell)

Post away

#2   Caael 

• Master Adept
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 09 June 2006 - 01:55 PM

I say download it and screw the law! I did it all the time, for example, I have worms world party thanks to a friend called Kazaa. The law dont hunt you down unless ( which I really hope your aren't stupid enough to do) is to downlaod it at an internet cafe. But, if you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone, I say go for it. If you need them both, then go for it. The law haven't hunted me down, and my computer was practically stolen ( Not really) Go for it!

#3   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
        • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 09 June 2006 - 02:10 PM

I would download it because I can live with a little piracy, but I'm not the one that has to. I understand why you want our input, but this is still very much your decision. I say download it. There's nothing to stop you from deleting it if you're staying up late at night giving yourself ulcers about it later.

#4   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 09 June 2006 - 02:22 PM

Heh, download it with a fake account or email, if it includes one. I do that. When i'm asked to sign up for something, give my friends email. Stops spam in my inbox =D. I dont own any pirate films, but I know a few people who have. One person has over 100 films before realeased on DVD, and they haven't aroused suspicion. The thing with downloading illegal stuff is that nobody knows you're doing it, except you and somebody you may have told about it. Nobody will hunt you down if you do download it. As for the writing tablet, they are extremely useful. I have never used one for school, but incredible stuff there.

#5   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 09 June 2006 - 03:23 PM

I highly discourage downloading applications and movies.

I don't want to sound like a hypocrite so I'll come right out and say it, I download music. Why? Puretracks.com, the only Canadian music site that sells gift cards (my parents don't want to release credit card info) only releases their music in WMA format, which I can't burn to CDs.

You need Win2000 to use iTunes, so that's out for me.

My only option to get music is illegally.

#6   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
              • Group: Members
              • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:21 PM

Don't pirate stuff. Its not good. Or, you can kinda skirt the law on eBay, find an obviosly fake one, and buy it. Then, if eBay or Paypal catches it, you get your low, low amount of money back. That's what I did. Photoshop CS: $37.50! Or try and get a student discount! I don't illeagally download music because I'm a nice person or whatever. You know.

#7   Bexie 

• Gallant
              • PipPipPip
                • Interests:... Stuff?

Posted 09 June 2006 - 07:47 PM

Bah, I'd download it. But then again, I download everything. >.>
                I'm not really worried about downloading. Anyway, I've read in a lot of places that it's the uploaders who get proscecuted, not the downloaders, so bah.
                Either way, I've been downloading stuff from all over the place for 5/6 years and nuthin's ever happened to me. The sites that I got things from, though, have now mostly been shut down. Oh, Audiogalaxy, wherefore art thou? >.<
                But despite that, I don't like pirated DVDs, which my mum's boyfriend can easily obtain.
                Made an exception for the Lee Evans XL Tour pirate DVD he got tho.
                That is one funny man. ;)

#8   FusionDragon28 

• Gallant
                • PipPipPip
                  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Video Games, Cosplay, Conventions

Posted 10 June 2006 - 03:44 AM

I actually don't like CS. Some options from v7 didn't carry over to CS. (I can't remember what, but they're not there!)

Getting back on topic, most of my "illegally" downloaded music is video game music. I own the game, but I haven't the slightest about how to rip it onto my computer. So I get it from somewhere else. And anything else I download, it's not like I'm mass dowloading gigs of music. Just a song here and there. Doesn't bother me in the least.

FD28

#9   Wiflewood 

• Disciple

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:23 AM

Well, it is against the law, but here is my philosophy:

You are a tennager and you would only use the program for personal use, right? To do drawings at home? You wouldn't go round selling all your stuff, so you're not making money out of it.

If a company on the other hand, say a small comic company had 5 computers and would download this program onto them, make their comics, and then sell them, then they're making money out of something they didn't pay for.

But w/e. Its your choice.

#10   Kemosabi 

• Knight
                    • PipPip
                      • Interests:Reading, writing, friends, family, traveling, cooking, Japan, Germany, England.

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:31 AM

Here's another thing; if you're arrested while you're under 18, your record is wiped the day you become a legal citizen (independant individual) of the United States.

Pretty sweet, no? I doubt you'd be arrested though. The government's got bigger fish to fry than music pirates. They just threaten us and put up ads because downloading music is detremental to the US economy.

#11   Mindpatch 

• Berserker
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:40 AM

Downloading the programme and getting caught probably means a lower fee and is less risky, no one will try to catch you.

Stealing a tablet however has a small chance of succeeding, getting caught means a large fee and probably sitting out some time in prison, and you're quite a moron to steal just a tablet....

That's my vision ;)

#12   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                          • Group: Moderator
                          • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:32 AM

The only thing illegal I've downloaded was a ROM of OoT and MM. I don't have an N64, and even if I did, where the heck am I going to get a copy of these ancient games??

Once I get a Wii, I'll download these games legally and play it that way, and delete those OoT and MM roms. See, perfectly legal!

So, yeah, I avoid piracy if at all possible.

#13   Caael 

• Master Adept

Posted 10 June 2006 - 12:53 PM

But, on ROMs you can hack the games or change them in some ways. To be honest though Kiku, how much is the program compared to the drawing tablet? If they are both the same, then you're screwed, but if the program is considerably cheaper, by that. That way you dont lose as much money, and it's easier to save more; compound interest.

( By the time you get a straight answer out of us lot, you'll have enough money to buy both)

#14   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                              • AKA watch

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:36 PM

View PostSea_of_Time, on Jun 10 2006, 07:23 AM, said:

I don't want to sound like a hypocrite so I'll come right out and say it, I download music. Why? Puretracks.com, the only Canadian music site that sells gift cards (my parents don't want to release credit card info) only releases their music in WMA format, which I can't burn to CDs.

There are such things as converters. I have one that converts wma to mp3, mp3 to wma, you see what I'm saying.

Bah, I download music and apps for my psp, thats pretty much it.

#15   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:45 PM

Converters don't work on DRM protected files, like the ones you buy at Puretracks.com. I tried that a long time ago.

#16   Lykwid Tepp 

• Squire
                                • Pip

Posted 11 June 2006 - 12:08 AM

Ok, overall, just get Photoshop CS.. I have it and so does my brother, We create sigs together.. wallpapers.. etc.. And he even Co-Hosts and Art and Design website. It's perfect for random chat, and especially useful for Art Design tips and tutorials just to get the basics down and what not. So, yeah, I'd say Photoshop CS.. I wouldnt download it online.. you never know who's watching.. But yeah, if you can, try getting Photoshop CS.. It's awesome stuff!

www.ddgfx.com

This is the site. Enjoy.. it's perfect for computer tutorials.. and just all the little basics.

#17   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                                    • Group: Admin

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:59 PM

Not to sound like a hypocrite, but despite all the Emulators, Roms, and music I've downloaded (dare I say, illicitely), I still feel that downloading is bad ethics.

Rather contradictory, I know. However you try to justify, it's still wrong.

Page 1 of 1
                                    • You cannot start a new topic
                                    • You cannot reply to this topic