• You cannot reply to this topic

Stupid In America

#1   Eugine 

• Master Adept
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:07 PM

Well, many people know that Americans have a reputation of being "stupid" despite being the wealthiest country in the world. So, what's your opinion? Are American students just stupid? Is it the school? Or is the International community just being mean to beat America in something?

Discus. :blink:

#2   Lemontime 

• Disciple
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • AKA sibsag, Lemontime

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:12 PM

I think the saying is more based on the american government. They've made alot of damn stupid decisions in the past, and the world will base that on today. Alot of people think that Americans are so far up themselves they don't realise that the money they use on defending themselves would be better used helping other countries so that the countries don't resort to violence.'

Dunaaa!

#3   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
        • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:17 PM

I'll get back to you on that. I'm watching the John Stossel special of the same name right now.

#4   Nosferatu 

• Master Adept
          • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:20 PM

I believe a few everynow and then to be. Not all are. Some just tend to think because they have alot of money then don't need to be smart.
          *coughBushcough*

#5   Eugine 

• Master Adept
            • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:41 PM

PS, that's where I got the title from :blink:

#6   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
              • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:20 PM

I assumed that the two weren't unrelated. Anyway, my opinion is a yes on all three counts. Students are lazy, teachers want to line their pockets and everyone hates America by default. You started this topic at the wrong time, because I feel like giving a lecture.

It's all about teacher's unions.

The teachers unions have more influence over the public schools than any other group in American society. They influence schools from the bottom up, through collective bargaining activities that shape virtually every aspect of school organization. The situation is truly absurd when one compares it to other labor unions in other industries. What other industry has no competition at all? In what other job are you insulated against being fired for your own incompetence?

A few years ago, the Democrat and Chronicle printed quotes from student-evaluation reports written by public school teachers. One said that a student "does not take to many things serious," and another had a "studdring" problem. One teacher wondered about a boy, "Why is he not learning or learning so but so little. How comes his past teachers have been passing him from grade to grade without he advancing or progressing academicly. I will like to know what is causing the mental blockage." This level of incompetence is unacceptable for even students, but did any of the quoted teachers lose their job? No. Did any of these red flags spark an investigation into the competence of these teachers? No. And I’ll bet you know why.

Teachers' unions were created to protect good teachers from being fired for trivial reasons. Today they protect all teachers from being fired for all reasons, even legitimate ones. A teacher at my school made sexual advances on no less than three teenage girls at my school. His sentance? Suspension with pay for a year. He got paid the same, but didn't have to work anymore! The school district rewarded him for comitting a crime all because the teachers' union put several hundred pages worth of red tape and legal requirements in the way of firing him. The money they spent in legal fees would've paid his salary for another two years. And not all schools are as lucky as mine, some are forced to keep bad teachers because they can't afford to fire them.

Yet the American public is largely unaware of how influential they are, and how much they impede efforts to improve public schools. This is because teacher’s unions are smart and powerful enough to cover their own tracks. Nowhere in union charters does tenure directly guarantee job security, leading most to believe that this doesn’t occur. The only guarantee made regarding job security is that “Once granted tenure, a teacher is guaranteed a system of due process.” It sounds fair. Indeed, the phrase “due process” appears in the constitution. That’s why this issue has remained hidden for so long.

But the unions have re-written the meaning of “due process.” When administration attempts to fire a teacher, Union lawyers snap into action. They complicate court proceedings to a level of impossible difficulty. In the last five years, the average court case to fire a teacher took 1.7 years, cost $223,000 plus the cost of the teacher’s salary for that time, (The case at my school was not unique. The Charter requires that, even if a teacher is suspended pending the court verdict, the school must continue to pay him/her) and had only a 72% success rate. That’s time and money that most schools can’t afford to spend on a pot-shot at removing a single defunct teacher. Thus, many such teachers are allowed to keep their jobs.

The problem is not that the unions are somehow bad or ill-intentioned. They aren't. The problem is that when they simply do what all organizations do; pursue their own interests. They are inevitably led to do things that are not in the best interests of children.

If the teachers unions won't voluntarily give up their power, then it has to be taken away from them through new laws that, among other things, drastically limit (or prohibit) collective bargaining in public education, link teachers' pay to their performance, make it easy to get rid of mediocre teachers, and give administrators control over the assignment of teachers to schools and classrooms.

What does all that mean for the students? It means that they are given teachers that condone underachievement. Bad teachers will produce bad students that are unwilling to learn. There are plenty of sucess stories about children that rose from adversity and got a better education, but there are many more untold stories of students that were bowed forever by their lot in life and were turned off to learning from the very start.

I'm not even going to start on the whole "America on the international stage" thing. Thats...
              (dare I say it?)
              another topic in itself!

#7   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
                • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
                • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:58 PM

Look, not all teachers (infact, very few) are "bad". Sure, there was a teacher at your school that made "sexual advances" on three teenage girls at your school, but how many other teachers IN YOUR SCHOOL do you know that are that bad? In my school? None. And were not even a rich city and don't have a very rich school system. It starts with the kids. If they don't want to learn, it's either because they're lazy, or don't care a thing about school and would rather do something else. Yes, there are of course bad teachers/EA's/etc., BUT there are many more GOOD teachers. I havn't met a single teacher that was "bad". Every teacher I've ever had only wanted to teach. They didn't care about their wages as long as they could support their families. Not all schools/teachers are bad. Many teachers that I've had also went out of their way to help anyone that fell behind in their work. You could walk into my school and walk through the halls inbetween periods/classes, and you'd be able to find a lot of kids that pretty much either only went to school because their friends did, only went because they had to, or went just to barely scrape by so they could get at least a highschool education. And this isn't the teachers faults, believe me. But besides those kids, you'd be able to pick out quite a few kids in the croud that actually want to learn and go to college, and actually choose the extra classes that aren't required in Middle School, like Geometry (including myself). And this is thanks to either our own expectations of ourselves, our teachers, or a combination of both. Like I said, not all schools/teachers are bad, usually, it's just the kids.

#8   MysticWarrior 

• Disciple
                  • AKA Horasu

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:59 PM

I think the stupid people are the ones who stereotype Americans for being stupid.

#9   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                    • Interests:.5% per annum.
                    • AKA Spam King

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:51 PM

And speaking of bad spelling, Eugine left the s out of 'discuss'. I don't know if that was a joke or not, but...

#10   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                      • AKA Me111

Posted 02 September 2006 - 03:58 AM

As someone said, it's a common stereotype that has led to the belief that Americans are dumb. I can't really say as I've been there once. I'd say they're more annoying than stupid.

#11   Bexie 

• Gallant
                      • PipPipPip
                        • Group: Members
                        • Interests:... Stuff?

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:06 AM

I don't think all Americans are stupid, far from it, but I have met several who were really, really idiotic. To the point of being scary.

#12   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                          • AKA Me111

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:38 AM

I think every country has its idiots but Americas are just more well known. I mean, being one of the most powerful countries on earth, I'd guess that there must be one or two smart guys over there.

#13   Mindpatch 

• Berserker
                          • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:06 AM

America being one of the larger countries with quite a large percentage of inhabitants the percentage of stupid people is most likely to be larger as well. Though I don't think the saying is based off that.

#14   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
                              • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:21 PM

People just don't like us. I mean, the French. What's up with them? My sister got charged $200 for a 3 minute phone call home from France. I'm sure that can't be a coincidence that the phone would just randomely malfunction and charge 100 times too much. Maybe it was the credit card.

Anyway, there are stupid people here. And there are smart people too. And smart people realize that.

#15   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:34 PM

If you watched the special on ABC you'd recognise Americans rank 25th in world exams rather than spending the most on education. Explination Americans?

#16   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                  • Group: Moderator
                                  • Location:Sitting on a fence and drinking root beer
                                  • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:55 PM

California has the highest population in the country, yet our schools aren't funded enough. I really hope Arnold gets the boot as governor soon, and we get someone who can budget correctly...

Anyway, here's the skinny: America has the BEST Universities in the world, BUT just about all our schools before University are weak.

Let me reiterate in saying that we're getting better though. :D

#17   Bexie 

• Gallant
                                  • PipPipPip
                                    • Interests:... Stuff?

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:45 AM

View PostWind Dude, on Sep 3 2006, 08:55 PM, said:

California has the highest population in the country, yet our schools aren't funded enough. I really hope Arnold gets the boot as governor soon, and we get someone who can budget correctly...

Anyway, here's the skinny: America has the BEST Universities in the world, BUT just about all our schools before University are weak.

Let me reiterate in saying that we're getting better though. -_-

Lies.

Oxbridge > USA universities. xD

#18   Toasty 

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:31 PM

No, just,...no. Our Universaties have increasingly higher expectations for students every year in the US, and definatley some of the best Universaties too. I agree with WD on this one. There's only a handful of kids who are smart in my school, and even fewer are willing to do extra work to get ahead, or at least try. It's sad, really. But I'd like to point out that the small handful of us (that includes me), happen to get some of the highest test scores around. In fifth grade, I placed in the top 10 for WASL scores in Washington (WASL stands for Washington Assesment for Student Learning). I also get the highest test scores in math for my school every year. Almost broke the record for highest 6th grade score two years ago.

On a side note, I can do 12 to the 3rd power in my head. ;)

#19   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                        • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:46 PM

Your pitiful and quite blatant bragging wounds me. BLATANT I SAY!!

Although I'm happy that you agree with me on something.

#20   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
                                          • Location:Newport News, VA But not by choice.

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:04 PM

I thought it was oxford...

Anyway
                                          America does have great colleges. You get what you pay for though, and you'll end up paying a lot. Many other countries have governmental assistance programs towards paying for college, in America, you have to spend years running around begging for scholarships.

#21   Toasty 

• Location:The toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:04 PM

There's quite a few other people like me that I know, so I'm not the only one that smart in my general age group and area.

#22   pHantOm 

• Disciple

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:50 PM

View PostEugine, on Sep 3 2006, 03:48 PM, said:

If you watched the special on ABC you'd recognise Americans rank 25th in world exams rather than spending the most on education. Explination Americans?

You foreigners b*tching about not helping other countries. Helping other countries tends to cost alot of money.

And lets see, how many countries are there in the world? Alot more than 25, and being is how we are comprised of foreign idiots who cant even speak english I think it is expected we would perform poorly. We can thank Mexicans, and to an extent black people. Its a known fact that african americans perform worse than white people, so they get handicaps when applying for government jobs etc. Say a white guy needs to score a 95, an african american has to score an 80. We accomidate for idiots thanks to the liberals, so so why bother being smart?

#23   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                                • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:12 AM

We accomidate for idiots thanks to the liberals, so so why bother being smart?

hm, basically that proved my point.

Anyway, there's black people all over the world - Canada, Britian, Caribbean, France and they still perform well on exams. Actually, Britian is known to have one of the best education system in the world, and the children perform well, despite it being very challenging. So, it's better to say it's the system and not the colour.
                                                But I do admit we do perform poorer in all countries, but reasons are there, and that's a whole new topic...

#24   Toasty 

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:23 AM

The fact remains that there are a lot of foreigners who don't even know 2+2. And the Liberals also have to go and make everything easier for some people arguing that "It's not fair that dumb people don't get as good of jobs as smart people!" Okay, that's not entirely accurate, but that's about what it means. By doing that, they have succeded in makeing Americans that much more lazy.

And phantom, it's not so much as blacks are dumber to why they have lower requirements, it's that the Liberals feel that African Americans aren't treated fairly. They pretty much baby them all.

But don't get me wrong. I have nothing against black people.

#25   pHantOm 

• Disciple
                                                    • Location:State College, PA

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:59 AM

Oh me neither, im just going by the statistics. Im not saying black people are dumb, im they arent scoring as high, for whatever reason.

The reason why we dont perform well is because there is no need to, you conform to the minority group *not race but the outnumbered group* and thats why a liberal is a terrible thing for our office.

#26   Toasty 

Posted 04 November 2006 - 03:26 AM

Yes, at least for everything but debt recovery. I despise them too, but they do have at least one good point.

#27   Elliott 

• Cool
                                                        • Joined: 07-February 04
                                                        • Interests:Metal, philosophy, percussion, literature, writing, theology, personal fitness, live music, tattoos.
                                                        • AKA Agatio

Posted 01 January 2007 - 12:05 AM

There is always going to be good and bad, intelligent and stupid, strong and weak among every civilized nation. The good, intelligent and strong are needed to pick up the slack of the bad, stupid and weak. In turn, the bad, stupid and weak are needed to distinguish the good, intelligent and strong. That's just the way things work, and it's not fair to label and entire nation (especially one of 200,000,000+ people) "stupid" just because of those who are.

#28   I'm Always BROKE 

• Master Adept
                                                          • Joined: 24-October 04
                                                          • Location:the Netherlands
                                                          • AKA Fire Dude, Diddy Kong

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:18 AM

It's not your guys fault it's Bush's. That's why we non-Americans have not such a good view on Americans... And ofcoarse the media which shows us very overweight American people doesn't help either.

#29   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                            • Joined: 21-July 04
                                                            • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:30 AM

I think I might have said this before, but most of the "bad" stereotypes of America come from the state of Texas, which just happens to be where our president George Bush comes from.

Most European countries can't begin to realize just how BIG the U.S. is physically. That's why it's unfair to judge a whole nation like America with stereotypes like how we're all stupid, we're all fat, and we're all arrogant. Where I live (California FTW!) there aren't too many fat people. People are mostly friendly until you get to bigger and busier cities. California could use some better schools, though.

This might be a bit unorthodox, but the person who labels all of a country as big as America with these stereotypes is the ignorant one, not America.

#30   Hotshot101 

• Chaos Lord
                                                            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                              • Joined: 20-September 06
                                                              • Location:Outside of your house with a sniper rifle a little computer and an american flag.
                                                              • Interests:Vidoe games, some sports

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:26 PM

Heh I have barely seen an actual fat person in my life. Europeans are just mad at us for no reason. Thats why your saying where fat, stupid and arrogent. You guys judge us way to quickly. You media seems to think all of us are bad, just because they don't like our president.

#31   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                                                • Joined: 28-January 04
                                                                • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:49 PM

Isn't the President a representation of the country? Remember before a President can be elected he campaigns, giving his views on how he would run the country, what stance he takes on certain issues etc.
                                                                I'd assume people voted for Bush because they believed he held the same opinion as theirs, so when criticising the Presidents decisions you are effectively criticising those who voted for him, because really he's a representation of them...

So, that's why most news network criticise Bush. Do you want them to criticise you? Do you want them to criticise every last American? Of course not. Best to criticise the leader, since most likely the majority holds the same opinion, and would have made the same decisions as him.

#32   I'm Always BROKE 

• Master Adept
                                                                  • Posts: 3,190
                                                                  • Joined: 24-October 04
                                                                  • Location:the Netherlands
                                                                  • AKA Fire Dude, Diddy Kong

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:26 PM

View PostHotshot101, on Jan 4 2007, 07:26 PM, said:

Heh I have barely seen an actual fat person in my life. Europeans are just mad at us for no reason. Thats why your saying where fat, stupid and arrogent. You guys judge us way to quickly. You media seems to think all of us are bad, just because they don't like our president.

Now that's stereotyping here! So your basically saying: "All you Europeans think we're fat and think our president sucks." Not all us Europeans think that way! I've been to America myself, I went to Flordia and the only conclusion I could make is that Americans use the car more than we Europeans do... Which is true, because in Europe we use the bicycle more. BUT THAT'S ALL.

And to make something clear: We Europeans aren't "mad" at America. And why should we?

As Wind Dude said, it's unfair to stereotype a nation as big as America. But you can stereotype about almost anything and anyone! America has been in the news negatively lately, and even though we don't necencarly WANT it we automatically think more negative about it...

Unless America comes in the news in a positive way, which also happens! It's just the way it goes... Not only from Europe to America, but otherwise to... Just look at yourself stereotyping.

#33   Hotshot101 

• Chaos Lord
                                                                  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                                    • Posts: 968
                                                                    • Location:Outside of your house with a sniper rifle a little computer and an american flag.

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:31 PM

Okay I just don't get it now. Why is the media trashing us over there when they just don't have a reason to? It just doesn't make sense.

#34   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                                      • Posts: 11,988
                                                                      • Gender:Male
                                                                      • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:44 PM

View PostEugine, on Jan 4 2007, 01:49 PM, said:

Isn't the President a representation of the country? Remember before a President can be elected he campaigns, giving his views on how he would run the country, what stance he takes on certain issues etc.
                                                                      I'd assume people voted for Bush because they believed he held the same opinion as theirs, so when criticising the Presidents decisions you are effectively criticising those who voted for him, because really he's a representation of them...

So, that's why most news network criticise Bush. Do you want them to criticise you? Do you want them to criticise every last American? Of course not. Best to criticise the leader, since most likely the majority holds the same opinion, and would have made the same decisions as him.
                                                                      Well Bush wasn't actually supposed to be elected, but by the time the mistake was noticed it was too late.

#35   Hotshot101 

• Chaos Lord
                                                                      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2007 - 02:12 PM

There isn't any mistake about who is ellected. He is who the people voted for (musta gotton tired of our president doing nothing except getting into trouble).

#36   Nyktos 

• Berserker
                                                                        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                                                                          • Posts: 532
                                                                          • Joined: 02-July 05
                                                                          • Location:ur mom lolz im so funy
                                                                          • AKA Felix of Vale

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:08 PM

Actually, it's just the insane stupidity of the American electoral system. He got less votes in 2000. But let's not get into that argument.

#37   Hotshot101 

• Chaos Lord
                                                                          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:31 PM

What? Voting for who we want is stupid? Gotta be kidding me.

#38   Saturos S. 

• Master Adept
                                                                              • Posts: 4,002
                                                                              • Joined: 23-June 05
                                                                              • Location:Somewhere in Europe
                                                                              • Interests:Nom nom nom. Cookies.

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:08 AM

You've got to be kidding you actually made such a pointless post. I as a foreigner seem to understand better how the American electoral system is. Due the twisted system it IS possible that one guy gets more single votes but the other wins due to the fact that he got more of those stick figures you see in newspapers (choosing men?)

#39   Hotshot101 

• Chaos Lord
                                                                              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:27 AM

View PostSaturos Striker, on Jan 5 2007, 04:08 AM, said:

You've got to be kidding you actually made such a pointless post. I as a foreigner seem to understand better how the American electoral system is. Due the twisted system it IS possible that one guy gets more single votes but the other wins due to the fact that he got more of those stick figures you see in newspapers (choosing men?)

Its not quite screwed. I can fairly explain it. See each state is polled and the president with the most votes in that state, gets the state. At the end of the election the president with the most states wins (states are pretty much popular votes). Its pretty much that simple really. Tallying the votes by the states pretty much is a solutution to having to count votes for a billion people.

#40   Saturos S. 

• Master Adept
                                                                                  • Posts: 4,002
                                                                                  • Joined: 23-June 05
                                                                                  • Location:Somewhere in Europe
                                                                                  • Interests:Nom nom nom. Cookies.

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:43 AM

You don't need to explain it to me, I get the system. Just that you know that it is possible to get less votes, but still win. In my eyes a pretty stupid system. As it's an indirect form of indirect democracy.

#41   Hotshot101 

• Chaos Lord
                                                                                  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:59 AM

Well its very accurate there might be some miscoceptions, but the math says its about 95% accurate.

#42   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                                                      • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:15 PM

View PostSaturos Striker, on Jan 5 2007, 10:43 AM, said:

You don't need to explain it to me, I get the system. Just that you know that it is possible to get less votes, but still win. In my eyes a pretty stupid system. As it's an indirect form of indirect democracy.
                                                                                      If we didn't do it that way, then smaller states like Rhode Island and Massachusetts would be all up in arms, since they would get the lesser amount of representation in the polls.

No system is 100% perfect...

#43   Hotshot101 

• Chaos Lord
                                                                                      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:33 PM

Is anything 100% perfect?

#44   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James
                                                                                          • Posts: 10,366
                                                                                          • Joined: 04-October 04
                                                                                          • Location:Winnipeg, MB

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:46 AM

Are you really saying that a democratic voting system can't be 100% perfect? Last time I checked, to properly represent the views of the voter, the voting system itself needs to be flawless.

I agree that the electoral college system needs to go. You shouldn't have more votes than the other man and still be able to lose the election.

#45   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
                                                                                            • Group: Admin
                                                                                            • Posts: 6,607
                                                                                            • Joined: 28-March 04
                                                                                            • Location:New York City, Boston

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:26 PM

Random Fact: The United States ranks 49th in the world in terms of the population's literacy rate.

#46   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:40 PM

Not too surprising after watching that video in the common room. I don't really want to bash on Americans though, and even though the general population may be.....somewhat stupid, there are very well-educated people down south, and the opportunity is there for everyone.

#47   Toasty 

• Posts: 12,421
                                                                                                • Joined: 04-April 06

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:40 AM

The majority of dimwits I noticed on that trip of mine were around the northern middle of the US. But we didn't go any farther than Tennesse. Most of the people I know in my small town actually have common sense to know not to park in the middle of a one lane road, or that a triangle has three sides, though I doubt they'd know who Tony Blair or anyone else is. I only know who he is because I go here. v.v;

#48   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
                                                                                                  • Posts: 1,629
                                                                                                  • Joined: 04-June 04

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:07 PM

I know who his is because he jumps up on Bush's lap like a puppy every time he whistles.

@ Brits: Does that bother you guys?

#49   TheEnglishman 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                    • Posts: 9,159
                                                                                                    • Joined: 06-April 05
                                                                                                    • AKA Me111

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:51 PM

Yes and No. Yes because he took us to war because of Bush's influence over him, but no because quite a few British people were backing him at the time. Still most people didn't expect the conflict to last this long. People can't really blame Blair unless they opposed the war right from the start.
                                                                                                    Blair won't be in power for much longer anyway. He's planning when he'll leave office and it looks like Gordon Brown will step in with no competitors (for the moment anyway).
                                                                                                    @GL: Even with the stereotype of Americans being stupid, that's still pretty surprising. Is it really that low?

#50   Toasty 

Posted 02 February 2007 - 04:56 PM

I'm not sure about exactly what the majority is, but from what I've witnessed, it's not that low. Most of the people in my town have more sense than that. I also only saw three people as stupid as that on my trip. One fo them being that lazy fat lady.

#51   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
                                                                                                        • Posts: 2,013
                                                                                                        • Joined: 27-May 06
                                                                                                        • Location:Your local pharmacist
                                                                                                        • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:55 PM

I was preparing some sort of "You're al wrong you have no idea about the US!" argument, but after seeing that video in the Common Room...Some people are morons. Seeing videos like that make me want to leave the country...

#52   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                          • Posts: 3,165
                                                                                                          • Joined: 10-October 04
                                                                                                          • Location:Sydney, Australia
                                                                                                          • AKA watch

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:18 PM

Yea that common room movie pretty much sums up why I think the general population of America is stupid...

Really, who won the Vietnam war.
                                                                                                          I understand how many people he would had to ask to get those answers but still, thinking Australia is Korea...

!~1700~!

#53   Toasty 

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:06 PM

The majority of America isn't that stupid, but It's pretty amazing that anyone would mistake Australia for Korea. But he did label it as Korea on the map.

#54   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                              • Posts: 8,895
                                                                                                              • Joined: 28-January 04
                                                                                                              • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:09 PM

In every country I'm sure it has people like that. Plus, I'm sure some people (and the majority) got the questions correct. They just didn't air it...

#55   My Best Wishes 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                • Posts: 3,165
                                                                                                                • Joined: 10-October 04
                                                                                                                • Location:Sydney, Australia
                                                                                                                • AKA watch

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:22 AM

Eugine is right, if anyone has seen our Footy Show, I might youtube it one day for you guys, there's pretty much a whole segment where one of the host's finds people like in the video and just makes fun of them, still...

Mr.T- I reckon I could label most countires without the names (except those tiny countries in Asia, Europe and Africa, maybe I wouldn't do as well as I think...) I certainly would not mistake South America for Kansas though...

#56   Ravenblade 

• Disciple
                                                                                                                  • Posts: 2,489
                                                                                                                  • Joined: 08-November 04

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:21 AM

You have to admit that there is a tendency among Americans to not care about the geography of the world - i dont know if this makes them stupid, cos it doesnt reflect on how well they would perform in other areas, but its rather annoying that so many of them dont care enough about the world to learn where stuff is, but still seem to want to blow it all up.

#57   Toasty 

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:00 AM

View Postwatch, on Feb 7 2007, 03:22 AM, said:

I certainly would not mistake South America for Kansas though...

XD

I know a few people who know their geography really well, but I don't bother much with it. I know where most of America's states are though, and a few countries in Europe and Asia (only one in Africa. Egypt is kinda hard to forget when you studied it for three months......D:), but I probably wouldn't be able to pinpoint Iraq or Iran on a map. That doesn't mean I'd want to invade a country I didn't know about though, I'd research it first before deciding.

#58   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:33 PM

Semi-obnoxious revive, but I had to post this because it fits the topic and it was so funny!

When I saw a recent study had listed California as 47th in the list of most intelligent states, a Californian friend of mine said "Can you believe that? We got 47th out of 52!"

#59   Toasty 

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:58 PM

XD! I'm not surprised though. A lot of stupid people live in California. It's probably because of the liberals......and the actors. You can't forget all the stupid stuff actors have done. They're all too worried about the environment to spend their precious time studying petty things like math and science. The only chemical they know of is CO2.

Now the people in Washington (state) are smart. :) *points to location*

#60   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:09 AM

So essentially you're saying that Californians are stupid because they're concerned about the environment. Sorry, but that's not really a good enough excuse.

#61   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:12 PM

It's not just that they're concerned about the environment, it's why they are ('Cuz Tom Cruise said so) and that they're so exclusively focused on it that nothing else seems to matter.

#62   Toasty 

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:39 PM

^that's about what I meant. Well said PS. :huh:

@SoT: No, I'm saying a vast majority of them are stupid in general, and then on top of that, saying they spend too much time freaking out over global warming. Which, also proven by science, isn't true.

The only reason people believe global warming is true, is because it's gotten media coverage. Fact is, our planet tilts slightly from side to side every few years, resulting in temperature changes of about 1 degree farenhiet. It's been proven by scientists, but it hasn't gotten news coverage because it's not as interesting as a global doomsday crisis.

Sure, CO2 traps heat, and yes, cars and power plants produce a lot of it. But global warming won't become an issue, if it ever does, until much later than the currently specified date. But for now, to those of you who still believe in global warming, invest in hydrogen powered cars,. And push for hydrogen to be harvested from biofuel. It's the most economical, safest, and cleanest way to get it. Trust me, I've done my homework this time.

#63   gsninja 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                                • Posts: 4,875
                                                                                                                                • Joined: 19-August 04
                                                                                                                                • Location:Calabasas, California
                                                                                                                                • Interests:Inside your pants.

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:37 PM

View PostGolden Legacy, on Feb 1 2007, 06:26 PM, said:

Random Fact: The United States ranks 49th in the world in terms of the population's literacy rate.

Wow. Now that's just sad. ._.

Now, the concept that everyone needs to grasp is that not everyone in the United States is stupid, and create stereotypes and opinions based on that. As long as that can happen, everything would be fine. I mean...I live in the United States, in California, and I'm smart. So there. =|

#64   Toasty 

Posted 24 February 2007 - 02:55 AM

We're just saying most Californians are. Not all of them.

#65   gsninja 

• Master Adept
                                                                                                                                    • Posts: 4,875
                                                                                                                                    • Joined: 19-August 04
                                                                                                                                    • Location:Calabasas, California
                                                                                                                                    • Interests:Inside your pants.

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:06 PM

I know. I just wanted to state my previous statement because too many people seem to think all Americans are stupid. =|

#66   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                                                                                                                                      • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:49 PM

Hey hey now. That's just insulting. California is a big state so those statistics aren't very fair, and besides our schools are under-paid.

And in my opinion liberals are actually the smartest. We're smart enough to stick it to the man. I'm a liberal.

Though we did elect Ahnold as our governor, which I still don't really see the logic in WHY...

View PostPlatinum Sun, on Feb 22 2007, 02:33 PM, said:

When I saw a recent study had listed California as 47th in the list of most intelligent states, a Californian friend of mine said "Can you believe that? We got 47th out of 52!"
                                                                                                                                      Well... to be fair, if you count DC and Puerto Rico then it'd be 52 states, but whatever.

Can we talk about Texas now?

#67   Toasty 

Posted 25 February 2007 - 07:04 PM

Now not to get into a whole flame battle between liberals and conservatives, but a lot of liberals promote illegal imigrants rights to stay here. That's pretty stupid IMO.

#68   Sea of Time 

• Lebron James

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:22 AM

View PostMr.T, on Feb 23 2007, 07:39 PM, said:

^that's about what I meant. Well said PS. :D

@SoT: No, I'm saying a vast majority of them are stupid in general, and then on top of that, saying they spend too much time freaking out over global warming. Which, also proven by science, isn't true.

The only reason people believe global warming is true, is because it's gotten media coverage. Fact is, our planet tilts slightly from side to side every few years, resulting in temperature changes of about 1 degree farenhiet. It's been proven by scientists, but it hasn't gotten news coverage because it's not as interesting as a global doomsday crisis.

Sure, CO2 traps heat, and yes, cars and power plants produce a lot of it. But global warming won't become an issue, if it ever does, until much later than the currently specified date. But for now, to those of you who still believe in global warming, invest in hydrogen powered cars,. And push for hydrogen to be harvested from biofuel. It's the most economical, safest, and cleanest way to get it. Trust me, I've done my homework this time.

I'm not going to argue this here, because it's not the right topic. But you are completely wrong on everything except needing to find a new fuel source.

#69   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:59 PM

There was a global warming topic at one point or another, and I'd love to argue with you on it because Toasty is right about a great majority of that stuff.

~*800!*~

Page 1 of 1
                                                                                                                                            • You cannot start a new topic
                                                                                                                                            • You cannot reply to this topic