• You cannot reply to this topic

Capture The Flag

#1   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderator
    • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:49 PM

If any of you have played a GSW open server test you're probably thinking "WTF" right about now. But I've actually thought this through. If GSW is going to have a good, active community I think mini-games with cooperative play is a must.

CTF would have it's own private area for CTF matches. You could go to a colloseum and join a game room or something to get into match.

So for CTF there has to be two sides. One side would be Blue team (each individual of the team being represented by Piers) and the other side would be Red team (Garet). Your own guy could have a yellow spot over his head or something of that nature so you could tell which little guy is your guy.

Each person starts out with a certain amount of HP (40 maybe) Before everyone spawns, they would choose to be a swordsman (to make the swordsman work we'd need to let the players run instead of just walking, or at least lunge like in Halo 2) or an archer. I'm aware that Golden Sun didn't have bows. Combat should work exactly the same as a 2D Zelda game, but without spin attacks. Swords do more damage (10 HP damage), but bows (7 HP damage) have range. Archers would probably do best to stay behind to defend.

When you die, you have to wait a few seconds before you can respawn. While you wait you get another chance to choose if you want to spawn as a swordsman or an archer. (think Battlefield/Battlefront)

When you pick up the other team's flag, you can't attack but you recover some HP so you actually have a shot to get back to your flag's point.

Before you start bashing really think. If we discuss it a bit I think we could make this work.

#2   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
      • Group: Veterans
      • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
      • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:12 PM

This actually sounds like a good minigame. :D Of course, mabey we could add a Sage as a third class, they'd be able to heal other team members 2HP per second for as long as you're being healed. Sages would also have the ability to "drag" an enemy who's crossed on to their side into a "jail" of sorts.

The enemy would be able to get free from the Sage's grasp only if they could tap the spacebar faster than the sage.

If the enemy is thrown in jail, one of their team mates can run over to the jail and tag them out. An automated animation will show the two teamates walking back to their side of the field, kind of like what you did if you've played CTF in elementary school. The only problem I see with this is the spacebar mashing.

Of course, I assume all classes will be identifiable by the itme they hold in their hands (i.e. a sword).

[EDIT] This reminds me. I should see if I can code the "battle game" so it might be integrated into GSW.

#3   Blink 

• Disciple
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Members
        • Interests:Video games, RPGs, Flight Sims, Art, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Golden Sun...<br /><br />omg this used to be mah sig.<br />[url=http://www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/OTHER/blinkstale.jpg[/img]<br />[/url][url=http://www.get--a--life.com/POLKA/polkaindex.html]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/IMG/polkabanner8.gif[/img]<br />[/url]&lt;&lt;--Click!

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:34 AM

Sounds a little complex. I would stick to the classic CTF used on school lots and stuff.

One half of the arena is red territory, the other half is blue territory. To make things easier, you'd just have a balloon of your team color and keep your character. If a red collides with a blue on red territory, the blue goes to jail, only saved by someone reaching the blue from the blue team. Vice versa for the red team, collision on blue turf means the red goes to jail.

If you collide with the flag on the opposite team's turf, you pick it up, and you have to get back to your turf without being tagged.

It's as simple as that. No need for archers and swordsmen, just classic, playground CTF. Easier to implement too.

But yeah, great idea Wind Dude! CTF is a must for the minigames. I can't believe it hasn't been brought up before. We need a tag minigame too.

#4   Toasty 

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:02 AM

Well, IMO there's two types of CTF. There's the shooter CTF found in videogames like Halo2, and then there's the schoolyard version. I'd rather see the VG version myself. It's not a whole lot more complicated than the schoolyard version.

#5   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
            • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:49 PM

Both of the versions would be excellent in GSW, and I'm really rooting for this! Having archers and whatnot might make it a little bit more inetersting, but it would probably be harder to implement. Anyhow, I think what Blink said would be good enough.
            How large do you think the teams should be though?

#6   Toasty 

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:10 PM

I'd say between 7-10 tops. Too many people might cause lag, and too little will make the game boring.

#7   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:25 PM

I think about 7 tops per team sounds good. But it depends on how much the server can hold and also depending on how much Max thinks that the majority of GSW players can handle. He has the survey we took a long time ago as a reference.

Well, Classic CTF works too. It's the same, fun concept.

#8   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                  • Interests:.5% per annum.
                  • AKA Spam King

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:39 AM

Hmm...it all seems a bit kiddy to me. I'd like to try a wireframe model first just to see if the game is balanced and/or is any fun at all.

#9   Aquamarine 

• Master Adept
                    • AKA Niko Bellic

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:17 AM

Oh, and you're SO mature, aren't you Split? So what if it's kiddie? If it's fun then let's play it!

#10   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
                      • Interests:.5% per annum.
                      • AKA Spam King

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:19 AM

Sorry, it just doesn't go for me at first glance. But I'd be willing to try it.

#11   Mars Djinni 

• Master Adept
                        • Interests:Martial Arts:<br />- Weapons (Bo staff :D)<br />- Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino styles<br /><br />Video Games: <br />Fire Emblem, Zelda, Megaman, Super Smash Bros., Age of Empires/Mythology, Final Fantasy, etc.<br /><br />Movies, Web Design, Foruming-ing-ing, Sprites and Digital Art, Drawing, Writing, Anime, etc.

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:40 AM

I like this idea. Though I'm preferring classic, I think instead of archers, to stay true to game context, Long-range psynergy users would be a better fit.

And a better sprite choice for Red/Blue would be recoloured Colosso warriors, I'd think.

Oh yeah, and I think we can let the WD Clones loose for the testing if it ever gets underway. ;D

#12   Max 

• Administrator
                          • Group: Admin

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:11 PM

I think this is an interesting idea, and this is why we have the suggestions forum open. Hopefully more of you will submit your ideas.

With regards to this specific suggestion, I have some questions in mind already, though I will certainly consider it when the time comes. My biggest concern with team games is what to do when there are not enough people online to fill out both teams? Computer bots are notoriously hard to code, and would either be real pushovers compared to human players or impossible to beat. Any ideas on how to deal with that?

I would agree with whoever recommended schoolyard CTF, as that is more in line with the graphics we have available from the game. Also, introducing bows and such to one mini-game would result in people asking for bows in the battle system, which I cannot do. You must keep in mind that CTF in most FPS games are a very different kind of mini-game compared to those found in most RPGs.

#13   Toasty 

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:01 PM

Blink was the first to suggest the schoolyard version. But I'm glad to see you're considering this Max.

#14   Someone Else 

• High Sheriff
                              • Location:Sitting on a fence and drinking root beer
                              • AKA Wind Dude (WD)

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:08 PM

In most FPS games I've played, when there aren't enough people to fill both teams, the game would balance out the players so that each team has pretty much the same amount of people. Also, the person who is the "host" of the game could specify how many people he wants in the game, but for GSW I don't think we really need such a feature.

So anyway, if the game cap in GSW were 14 but there were only 7 players present, the best thing to do is make it so the game would balance it as well as it could. In this case, 3 players would be on one team and the remaining 4 on the other team. This is much more practical than making a bot with scripted "AI".

#15   Blink 

• Disciple
                                • Interests:Video games, RPGs, Flight Sims, Art, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Golden Sun...<br /><br />omg this used to be mah sig.<br />[url=http://www.gameroom.com/blinkcomic]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/OTHER/blinkstale.jpg[/img]<br />[/url][url=http://www.get--a--life.com/POLKA/polkaindex.html]<br />[img]http://www.get--a--life.com/IMG/polkabanner8.gif[/img]<br />[/url]&lt;&lt;--Click!

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:30 PM

Maybe even have a ranking system to have the computer balance out the teams? One variable wouldn't be hard to store for each account, it would just be a positive (or negative) number of how many wins each person had, divided by their total games (unless they have no wins). The closer to a perfect 1/1 you were, the higher your rank would be, and the system would just split people into teams to balance it out based on some simple equation like...

(note: I'm used to coding in basic, but it shouldn't be hard to get the idea from this)

team1#=0
                                team2#=0

do

for x=1 to 14
                                if object exist(x)=1

if team1#>team2# or team1#=team2# then object team(x)=team1# and team1#=team1#+object rank(x) else object team(x)=team2# and team2#=team2#+object rank(x)

endif
                                next x

loop

This would, of course, be after assigning a variable (1 through 14) to each player as they joined. Basically, the PC would then set the player's team, and add the player's rank to the team's combined rank. This rank being a variable (maximum of 1) that was wins divided by total games.

That's just a really basic idea though. Heck, maybe I could code something this simple up... or, probably not actually, since I'm not familiar with the latest Actionscript (what Max wants to use).

But yeah, basically, this would add players to a team until that team had a higher combined score than the other team, and then switch to the other team and add players until that combined score was higher, switching back and forth until it was as even as it could be when the last few players were added in, also taking into account whether the player exists or not.

...but that's all in BASIC, so it probably won't help much. xD

PS. I find it funny that I brought up how schoolyard would probably work better, and then Max said how that would better fit with the engine's graphical limitations, something I know quite well indeed. :D

Page 1 of 1
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic