• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Component #3: Webpage Design

#1   Max 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:42 AM

Ultimately, this project's goal is to create a website. Even with all the content collected and put in a database, and all the media recording and organized, an actual website needs to be built.

When presented with the opportunity to switch hosts last month, I made sure to pick one that supported the Python programming language. As comfortable I am with PHP, I've come to dislike it in many ways, and find it is often counter-productive and hard to maintain. Over the past few months, I've been experimenting with other languages and web frameworks, and have found one that really suits my liking. It is called Django, and is what the new GSS will be built upon.

Django has two "killer features" in my mind: the first, and the one for which Django is famous, is the automatically generated admin interface. This is what allowed me to easily create a rich, brain-dead-simple web interface for data entry. The other is its inheritance-based template system. This basically means that you can have one base or "master" template with a set of pre-defined "blocks." Individual page templates then just extend this base template and override the blocks that they need to change. This allows for a very modulator template design which is easy to change the look of the site. More on this subject can be found here.

It is very important to create a consistent look and feel across the site, so GSSv2 will employ standard HTML/CSS approach. I have already begun work translating the photoshop design into standards-compliant HTML/CSS. However, all the individual page templates will need to be created.

For this, I would like to have the help of one to three people familiar with HTML/CSS design. It would be preferred if you have some programming experience, whether that is in PHP, Python, Java, or whatever. A very slight amount of programming is required, and can be easily taught, but it would be a nice skill to already have honed. If you are interested, please post a reply to this thread. Please include a listing of what skills you have, what your level of web design experience is, your expected time availability over the coming months, and how you feel you can contribute.

#2   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Veterans
      • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
      • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:56 PM

Ah, yet another language I can learn. :)
      I'd be happy to help where I can in this area, though my programming skills are a little shaky.

I know:
      CSS
      HTML
      XHTML
      A lot of DHTML
      Some Javascript
      Some PHP
      Very little Java (It's hard to learn with all of the restrictions my dad's put on our PC)
      Very little C++ (I know it's not a web language, but it is a programming language)

And I have experience in using these with the (unfinished) AW minisite project. As for the new language, the more to learn the marrier IMO.

#3   Neon 

• Disciple
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Members

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:35 AM

I could help with design and coding, but I thought this would be the part of the site you would definately like to do yourself?

I know mostly html and css and javascript (though I've forgetten most of it), but i'm confident that i can learn other languages (like php, which I understand but never got around to learning the syntax). The only difficulty here is finding the time. I do, however, have a very long break from uni coming up in 2 weeks after portfolio submissions.

That said, my skills would be better used in the actual design/layout/graphics, but I believe Andross has already taken care of that department?

Though I still think you might want to reconsider letting other people do the design and coding.

Page 1 of 1
        • You cannot start a new topic
        • You cannot reply to this topic