• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Component #1: Data Entry - Updated

#1   Max 

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:41 PM

A website is nothing without content. And before the webpages can even be created, the underlying content must be generated and stored in a database.

Historically, GSS has existed as a collection of static HTML pages. This means that they were written by hand (most often using a tool like Adobe Dreamweaver), and that every time it needed to be edited or the design changed, a human would have to slave for hours to change it. However, that will all change now, as the new site will automatically generate pages based on data in the database and small templates created by humans. This topic covers the database aspect of this process.

While most of the content for the current GSS site was derived directly from the GS games, it no longer makes sense to redo that effort. Therefore, we will be using a number of sources to gather information from to expedite the process. Most of the needed information can be gleaned directly from the existing GSS website. Unfortunately, some of the pages are broken or missing certain bits of content. Another source of data is our sister site, Golden Sun Realm. If a required piece of information cannot be found on either of those two sites, then we can search through existing printed materials (such as the Prima or Nintendo Power strategy guides) or other online resources (such as GameFAQs or other GS websites). In all cases, I ask that you please report any sources you use besides GSS or GSR in a PM to me for copyright/liability reasons.

To allow for easy, noob-friendly data entry, I have set up a website administration page dedicated to the task. The URL and logins for this page will only be given out to approved members. I will give each user access only to those pages for which he/she is responsible. Following is a list of the content pages that require data entry at this time:

* Armors
    * Characters
    * Cities
    * Classes
    * Codes/Cheats
    * Enemies
    * Powerups
    * Psynergies

Please note that these are not the only pages that are on the site, just the ones that need data entry at this point in the project.

If you would like to be responsible for one of these pages, please post a reply to this thread along with an estimation of how much time you would have to work on it in the near-future. I will run this on a mostly first-come, first-served basis, but I reserve the right to remove/revoke people's access based on behavior, inactivity, or any other reason. Approved users will be sent a PM with details and will be given access to the private contributors forum.

#2   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
      • Group: Members
      • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:44 PM

Ehhh...I might be able to do power-ups, depending on how time consuming it is. If it's just a couple of hours, I'll do it.

Approved by Max for Powerups

#3   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:56 PM

Powerups was half-way completed already, but has apparently been abandoned. I've extended your access priveleges to the Powerups page, so use your same login and you should be able to work on them. See the appropriate thread in the Contributor Zone also.

#4   Split Infinity 

• Nebuchadnezzar
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Veterans
          • Interests:.5% per annum.
          • AKA Spam King

Posted 11 August 2007 - 04:01 AM

I'd be happy to do the Cheats/Codes and Cities sections. Hell, I could even provide the screenshots if you want me to.

Approved by Max for Codes pages

#5   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 11 August 2007 - 07:36 AM

I'll let you do Codes first, and then if you finish and want to do more, I'll give you permissions to do the Cities.

#6   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
              • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:12 PM

I don't have much time left in summer, but I think I could do Characters as it's already half done and shouldn't take too long.

Approved by Max for Characters Pages

#7   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:14 PM

Sure, have a go at it. Priveleges have been expanded.

#8   ColumMcClelland 

• New User

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:27 PM

I could give Armors and maybe a Psynergy Guide a go if you want that is. i could start tonight and would have a great deal of spare time.

#9   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • Group: Veterans
                    • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:33 PM

I think all the raw data entry is completed.

#10   Max 

• Administrator

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:32 PM

Thanks for the offer, but Eugine is correct, all the raw data entry is complete. Unless you are familiar with Python programming, I'm afraid there's not much you can help with at this point.

Page 1 of 1
                      • You cannot start a new topic
                      • You cannot reply to this topic