Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help! Diablo on Vista

#1   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:05 AM

I've been trying to install Diablo II on my laptop and I'm having trouble. Here's the Blizzard support page for the error I'm getting. For one, I'm not sure exactly what the Windows Directory is. If it's that file called Windows under the My Computer Hard Drive menu I'm screwed because there's a million folders and a million files in there. (and vista's search system is utterly useless. So don't even mention it unless you know how to make it do something useful.) The second thing is that I've never installed or tried to install Diablo II on this laptop before, so how would those files even get there in the first place? I couldn't find them with a manual search, (or Ctrl+F in the Registry Editor) so my guess so far is that this is a compatability error masquerading as something else. Thoughts or suggestions anyone?

(Or you could just hang out and complain about Vista, I've got the time.)

#2   Max 

• Administrator
      • Group: Admin

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:59 PM

Mind elaborating on what problem you are running in to? Those support pages are very, very general, and without knowing what you are trying to do and what is happening, I'm not sure how anyone can give advice on what to do.

#3   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple
        • Interests:Fire, RPGs (the playable kind too), dragon lore, computer games, political satire, watching all you puny mortal humans run around like rats in a maze.

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:48 PM

I'm trying to install Diablo II, and when I click "Install Diablo II" an Error message comes up that says: "Cannot save the uninstall file, installation aborted." There's no much to say because the whole process fell apart at step 1.

#4   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
          • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:41 PM

Might be compatability or storage space issues, but if it was space, you'd probably get a different message.

#5   Nick Presta 

• Master Adept
            • Group: Admin

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:21 PM

Perhaps you need to "allow" the install, or you need to be running as Administration because it wants to save the file somewhere you aren't allowed to write to.

#6   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
              • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
              • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:11 PM

Possibly, but usually a window will pop up and either say that you need to be logged on as an admin, or ask for the admin's password. It does that whenever I've tried to install a program on my dad's laptop, which also runs vista.

Could even be a faulty disk, or the disk could be scratched.

#7   Ironsight 

• Loose cannon Cop with nothing to lose
                • AKA Darksword

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:52 PM

A similar thing happened to me when I tried to instal my copy one time. I can't remeber how I fixed it though. I'm sorry I can't be helpfull. It might be one of those things were you have to uninstall your Third-Party programs or something like that. I know Blizzard games have problems with those.
                But while i'm here, can I ask you if you are planing on playing the Multiplayer?

#8   Platinum Sun 

• Disciple

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:20 AM

I am on battle.net. (Expansion) Tonight I'll work on some of the compatibility shells I've been hearing about and see if I can get it working. Look for a Sorceress named Overkyl.

Update: I was working along Nick's line of thinking with the authorization and I found out that I was authorized to use the installer, but the installer wasn't authroized to create the directory the files needed to go under. I made the new directory myself and it installed fine. Thanks for those who helped. I appreciate it.

Page 1 of 1
                  • You cannot start a new topic
                  • You cannot reply to this topic