• Group: Guests

Posted 08 November 2007 - 04:19 PM

Musicians unite!~

#2   Moonear 

• Disciple
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans

Posted 08 November 2007 - 04:41 PM

I used to play the clarinet for three years, then I started hating it. I stopped practicing, I started to stink at playing, and I got bad grades in band. Yeah, so I quit.

#3 Guest_Eve of Destiny_*

Posted 08 November 2007 - 04:44 PM

#4   Eugine 

• Master Adept
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 08 November 2007 - 04:44 PM

You could always start to post your music on YouTube EoD. Just make sure you got some talent... YouTube is filled with haters...

#5   Moonear 

• Disciple

Posted 08 November 2007 - 04:46 PM

View PostEve of Destiny, on Nov 8 2007, 05:44 PM, said:

I always hated band. Actually, I played the clarinet too. My friends and I got through most of our band classes by pretending to play. Good times.

Same here lol! Ask killercoz, he was in my band class and we never played. We just played random games on a piece of paper. I think we played our instruments about 5 minutes a class. Oddly enough, in the 7th grade, I was considered good at the clarinet. Go figure.

#6 Guest_Eve of Destiny_*

Posted 08 November 2007 - 04:50 PM

#7   R-dog 

• Lord
        • PipPipPipPip
          • Group: Members
          • Interests:Gah, I'm too lazy/busy to put something here right now. I'll come up with something eventually.

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:40 PM

Double post! Oh no!

Yeah, I've played alto sax for 4 years (technically 5, but 6th grade was a flop) and when I got to high school, I joined chorus instead. Two reasons for that: 1) I got tired of the sax and 2) in my particular school, chorus > band.

Performing... I've always performed on the auditorium stage. It's hard to see the crowd (due to the lights) so I really haven't had trouble. Also, it's easier to ignore the audience if you're reading sheet music.

#8 Guest_Eve of Destiny_*

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:18 AM

#9   R-dog 

• Lord
          • PipPipPipPip
            • Interests:Gah, I'm too lazy/busy to put something here right now. I'll come up with something eventually.

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:20 PM

Any instrument is difficult if you don't know how to read sheet music. The sax'll mess you up though, because the letter names (A, B, C, etc.) are not on the same lines as, say, a piano. So if sax isn't your first instrument... it'll be hard to learn.

Sometimes, it's hard to hit the low notes. You kinda have to open your throat and drop your jaw while still having the mouthpiece positioned correctly. There are a few other tricky techniques like this that you have to learn.

The last thing you have to do is figure out which keys make which notes. You have to know your main notes, when to use the octave key, which keys'll make which notes sharp or flat and when to use those funky keys at the bottom of the saxophone.

So yeah, once you do all that... you're all set!

#10 Guest_Eve of Destiny_*

Posted 10 November 2007 - 08:17 AM

#11   Caael 

• Master Adept
              • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:15 PM

Used to play piano, but my teacher was a ***** and my fingers are really short so it's difficult for me.

I play drums now. Love it. They're just so fun to play, and quite easy to learn. If you're having trouble with a piece, you just have to count it, and play it slow, and it just clicks, and you've got it. I <3 drums.

#12 Guest_Eve of Destiny_*

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:06 PM

#13   Envy 

• Gallant
              • PipPipPip
                • Interests:Playing the bassoon

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:59 AM

I play the bassoon. It's my main instrument at the point, and I do believe it will be forever since I like it so much. I play it for my college's concert band. Yeah, actually it's pretty fun. Aside from a Sousa piece and Sleigh Ride we haven't had too many boring pieces! XD

I also play many other instruments, the saxophone being my second favorite. I'm learning piano due to being a music major, and I played clarinet and trumpet in the past. Neither of those instruments appealed to me too long. I just don't think they were right for me.

#14 Guest_Eve of Destiny_*

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:23 PM

#15   Laharl 

• Banned
                  • Interests:research it
                  • AKA Dullahan

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:20 PM

i actually got invited to join a band, i was in shock xD. Problem was the band is sort of acoustic, alternative at a push and i used to play keyboard (death metal style) that and the fact im years out of practice meant i had to turn it down. got believing that there could be some local bands who actually make use of the instrument. so if i can get a new 'board im gonna start playing again :D

#16   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
                    • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:20 AM

I play the drums and trumpet, and I'm thinking about learning the guitar. So, a question to all you guitarists. I currently have an old classical guitar which is pretty nice, but I kinda want an electric too. The thing is, I'm not totally sure of my commitment. I found a nice standard Strat for $320, but that's a lot of money for me. I was wondering if those starter packs by Squire or Epiphone were worth it. If I got a more expensive guitar, I'd still need to buy an amp etc...Or maybe I should just keep the guitar I have. I don't know...

#17   Dudeus Maximus 

• Squire
                    • Pip

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:26 PM

View PostFlamingDuck, on Jan 2 2008, 09:20 AM, said:

I play the drums and trumpet, and I'm thinking about learning the guitar. So, a question to all you guitarists. I currently have an old classical guitar which is pretty nice, but I kinda want an electric too. The thing is, I'm not totally sure of my commitment. I found a nice standard Strat for $320, but that's a lot of money for me. I was wondering if those starter packs by Squire or Epiphone were worth it. If I got a more expensive guitar, I'd still need to buy an amp etc...Or maybe I should just keep the guitar I have. I don't know...

Dude, as a guitarist who got the squier starter pack as his first guitar, it's worth it. I got the Squier Fat Strat Pack about 2 years ago, and I loved it. The guitar hasn't really given me any problems, up until about now, that it's starting to be sheit at holding tune and the intonation is slightly off, but it's pretty nifty, and I get some sick tones out of it. It's worth it if you're starting out, I mean, you'll barely notice the flaws if you're just starting out. Conversely, since you play the drums, do you have any suggestions on a drum set for a n00b drummer like myself? I've always wanted to learn the drums, Ringo Starr was one of my boyhood heroes.

#18   Drizzy Drake 

• God
                        • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:30 PM

View PostDudeus Maximus, on Jan 10 2008, 05:26 PM, said:

Dude, as a guitarist who got the squier starter pack as his first guitar, it's worth it. I got the Squier Fat Strat Pack about 2 years ago, and I loved it. The guitar hasn't really given me any problems, up until about now, that it's starting to be sheit at holding tune and the intonation is slightly off, but it's pretty nifty, and I get some sick tones out of it. It's worth it if you're starting out, I mean, you'll barely notice the flaws if you're just starting out. Conversely, since you play the drums, do you have any suggestions on a drum set for a n00b drummer like myself? I've always wanted to learn the drums, Ringo Starr was one of my boyhood heroes.

Ya I got the Squire as my first guitar.

I now have a real Strat
                        An Epiphone
                        An SG
                        And a custom Paul Allender PGR(PRG?)

#19   Mathak Kraven 

• Lord
                        • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:11 PM

I playu the drums, go figure. But I'm kinda new so no technicalities or specialities that I do yet, except mess up alot. >->

#20   FlamingDuck 

• Disciple
                            • Interests:Drums, Guitar Hero, pretending to play guitar, getting awesome at the one song I know how to play on bass, school(yeah, I'm such a loser) music, mohney, etc.<br /><br />I suppose I'll give you an abbreviated list of bands that I like:<br />Relient K<br />Switchfoot<br />Guster<br />Angels and Airwaves<br />Arcade Fire<br />Porcupine Tree<br />Weezer<br />Mae<br /><br />It's sorta a weird mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.<br />I like a lot of single songs too...<br /><br />Bands I need to look at:<br />Plastic Constellations<br />Cauterize<br />Patent Pending<br />And a bunch of local bands that you'll probably never hear of.<br /><br />Pandora rocks.<br /><br />I'm running out of things to say here.<br /><br />Perhaps I like duct tape?<br /><br />Yeah. This likely won't be touched for another year when my tastes have completely changed.<br />

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:28 PM

View PostDudeus Maximus, on Jan 10 2008, 05:26 PM, said:

Well, first off, crappy no name sets are pretty horrible. Unfortunately, most decent sets are upwards of $500 dollars. Pulse seems to offer fairly decent sets for cheap, and they look pretty good for the price. So if you don't know if you're committed enough to spend $500+, go for a basic entry level set. If you're really set on learning them, I would go for a good set. Tama and Pearl both have pretty good drumsets for ~$600, as do most other major drum companies.

The cymbals that come with most entry level sets will be alright, I think. I had a hi-hat that would invert if you stomped to hard, and a cymbal that sounded like a garbage can lid, so you can't be to careful.

This is a pretty good article to cover the basics.

And I found a acoustic-electric guitar for $100, and I think I'm going to get that.

#21   Mathak Kraven 

• Lord
                            • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:49 AM

When I get enough money, I'll go get a good set with my current teacher. I've already asked him if he wanted to help in that respect, and he said yes. And he knows alot about good sets.

I'll probably spend around ~€1.000 on a good set.Atleast that's my budget.

Page 1 of 1
                              • You cannot start a new topic
                              • You cannot reply to this topic