Golden Sun Syndicate Forums: Golden Sun Syndicate Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Persecuted Church

#1 Guest_Eve of Destiny_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:55 PM

In the churches I go to there has recently been a lot of discussion about what is referred to as the persecuted church. Some of you may know what this term means. Christians across the world are being persecuted for their beliefs-- tortured, harassed, ostracized, threatened, shunned, killed, jailed, and silenced-- Particularly in China, Sudan and Malaysia. For as long as Christianity has been around, there has been violence against Christians-- but today it is on such a violent scale that the world is finally taking notice.

A Christian man in Turkey had sent our church a letter describing the acts of injustice that are committed against believers like him every day, and we also saw video footage of survivors. A woman spoke of her place of worship being bombed. Another told how she was threatened by officials that because she was Christian, they were going to torture and kill her and her family. A recent report states that Muslim officials forced women to strip their clothing to check for signs of conversion. 4,000 Indian Christians were arrested in May of this year after protesting their government's refusal to stop the violence. Indian officials actually shut down a church because they "sang too loudly." These are just some of the many horrible and nonsensical acts that are being committed against these innocent people.

There is a link here describing several Christians who were satanically tortured for their beliefs for three hours before being killed. Warning: this contains graphic detail of the attacks, which is why I will not post it on this forum. (http://www.persecuti...p?presscode=172) Do not read if you are easily disturbed.

The ICC (International Christian Concern) has also listed the top ten Christian-persecuting countries: North Korea, Iraq, Ethiopia, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Iran, Eritrea, China, Vietnam and Pakistan.

As a Christian, I find this not only an outrage but also so heartbreaking to see that people are being persecuted for what they believe in, for something that makes them happy. Even those who are not Christians or believers of any kind must understand the deeper issue here: People of this world are suffering for their personal choices. They are suffering because they refuse to conform to their country's religions and beliefs. They are suffering for no good reason other than prejudice. It is a huge and massive injustice to these people that their pleas for help are being ignored by their own governments, by their own people. The freedom we have is completely unknown to these innocents and so many of us do not realize quite how lucky we are.

To read of these acts of injustice is absolutely sickening, heartbreaking, disturbing and cruel, especially because these people are being persecuted for believing in the same thing that I do. I believe in God and I am not ashamed of it-- and I am lucky enough to get to say that on an open forum without my life becoming endangered.

These people are being needlessly tortured. They are being needlessly killed, and as a humane person with a heart for people I cannot stand by and not get involved. The ICC is gathering volunteers and I am greatly interested in what I can do to help their fight. Across the world people are stepping in to help these persecuted Christians; if we do nothing then they will continue to suffer.

It is not just an issue of Christians against non-Christians. It is an issue of freedom of speech, freedom of belief. It is an issue of humanity. It is an issue of prejudice. It is an issue of justice for not only just these persecuted Christians but others who are persecuted for any of their beliefs, and if the rest of the world stands by watching this continue to happen then we are just as bad as these persecuting countries.

For more information, check out www.persecution.org.

#2   Laharl 

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • Interests:research it
    • AKA Dullahan

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:17 PM

Christianity has murdered millions in the name of faith, disgraceful as those acts are they mean little in comparison to what Christianity has done to other faiths.

Religion is the principle cause of prejudice in the world.

that article you linked basically condemns the religion instead of the individuals, go go heavily bias sources.

#3 Guest_Eve of Destiny_*

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:14 PM

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, Laharl, about Christianity having done things to other faiths. But you don't seem to be getting the point of my post.

Regardless of what anybody believes, they shouldn't have to go through any of that, and that is what I'm saying here. This issue is an example. I do agree with you in saying that religion is a prime source of prejudice.

It would seem that your response is more against Christianity itself and not so much even regarding what I originally posted about. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as though you're dismissing the whole thing as, "Well, Christianity did whatever to other faiths, so I guess that makes this pretty darn okay"-- though I'm guessing that's probably not what you're trying to say. I am interested in your view though, so if you want to explain further I'd like to know what you mean exactly.

#4   Laharl 

• Banned
      • AKA Dullahan

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:58 PM

Well Christianity seems quite proud of its past, including the crusades and countless persecutions, yet when a few nobodys of its own faith are murdered it goes hysterical. Dont get me wrong i condemn those acts, but i'm pretty sure there is a decent amount of exaggeration and overreaction involved.

Put it this way, if the roles were reversed, no one would care and this thread wouldnt exist.

also, does anyone else find "satanically tortured" incredbily ironic?

#5   Caael 

• Master Adept
        • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:48 AM

This is why I hate religion. Why do people get so worked up about it? "Omg you like different gods to me, I'm gonna beat you down and kill you." It's insanity.

#6   Nosferatu 

• Master Adept
          • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:31 AM

View PostEarth Dude, on Nov 12 2007, 11:48 PM, said:

This is why I hate religion. Why do people get so worked up about it? "Omg you like different gods to me, I'm gonna beat you down and kill you." It's insanity.

It's why I'm neutral.

Well, not really neutral. I just plain hate religions. I'm not willing to listen to anyone who has a strong religious belief.

#7 Guest_Eve of Destiny_*

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:19 AM

I respect that a lot of people aren't believers that I am, so don't ever worry about offending me by saying anything like that. I definitely get what you mean, there are religious fanatics and media reports of hate crimes from all religions and all those sorts of things that basically drag the whole idea of it down. A prime example? A distant relative of mine, an extremist religious fanatic (of what religion, I am unsure), murdered her 11 year old son because she thought he was "possessed." It's terrible. So I totally understand why so many people are neutral on the topic. It can get really sordid and messy, with people jumping in from every which way.

Ahhkay, now I understand what you mean Laharl. I just wasn't sure what you were referring to before. These crusades and persecutions committed by so-called Christians were acts of man, not of their religion as a whole, and unfortunately people tend to associate this entirely with everyone who is Christian. I guarantee you that while there are some really crazy people out there, as a Born-Again Christian, I can safely say that this is not even close to what a real Christian is.

Mm... you can look at it this way. Think of the times of Hitler, when German people joined his crusade to murder the Jews. Yes, the German people were involved, but you surely wouldn't say that today all of the German people are murderers and killers and psychos, based off of an act by man. That would be an unfair judgement and label towards the Germans, all because of choices by man and not their race as a whole. Christians should be looked at in the same way; just because in the past religious fanatics, extremists, or general people who took things too far (who, despite the media attention they get are under no circumstances representatives of the Christian faith) have committed these acts, it should not condemn everyone from the entirety of Christian faith to be labeled for a choice by man. You know, and if anybody could find even the slightest bit of justification in this situation or any others like it, that would be complete moral neglect.

I want to make a note that the people being persecuted that I spoke about in my original post were not these kind of ridiculous people-- they are being persecuted for saying they believe in God. For words--which is why this is so wrong. They are being murdered for words!

And you're wrong Laharl-- if the roles were reversed, I certainly would care! Nobody should have to go through any of this, and had it been another religion, or organization, or whatever going through the same thing I would have definitely spoken up for them. You don't have to believe in the same thing someone else does to stand by them.

To those who feel that 'justice has been served' against Christians for these previous acts by man and not the religion as a whole, while I don't stand by or defend these actions, I will leave you with this famous quote (one of my favourites):

"If we all took an eye for an eye, the whole world would be blind."

#8   Moonear 

• Disciple
          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:36 PM

I agree with EoD, I strongly believe in my religion, but I wouldn't go around hurting people or even getting mad at anyone if they don't believe the same way I do. I strongly condemn whatever people of my religion might do to other people. You can't label a whole group of people belonging to one race or religion just because some individuals choose to hurt and harm other people. It's not like me or any of my friends would do anything irrational.

#9   Caael 

• Master Adept
              • Interests:EVERYTHING EVER

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:22 PM

It's just extreme prejudice. Not only is it that, but it's insanity. I want to go up to those funking extremists and knock them one in the face. Anybody who gets so worked up about religion just...eugh. Every so often, one of my friends will crack a religion joke, and we all have good laugh about it, but there's always one who goes ' Omg that is SO racist'. If you cant take a small joke about hitler then you deserve a slap.

#10   Laharl 

• Banned
                • AKA Dullahan

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:47 PM

View PostEve of Destiny, on Nov 13 2007, 01:19 PM, said:

Ahhkay, now I understand what you mean Laharl. I just wasn't sure what you were referring to before. These crusades and persecutions committed by so-called Christians were acts of man, not of their religion as a whole, and unfortunately people tend to associate this entirely with everyone who is Christian. I guarantee you that while there are some really crazy people out there, as a Born-Again Christian, I can safely say that this is not even close to what a real Christian is.

pretty sure those acts had the Pope's approval.........

you misunderstand me, my problem lies with Christianity not Christians.

#11 Guest_Eve of Destiny_*

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:06 PM

View Postlaharl the slayer, on Nov 13 2007, 04:47 PM, said:

pretty sure those acts had the Pope's approval.........

you misunderstand me, my problem lies with Christianity not Christians.

Okay, I see.

About the Pope-- well, he's Catholic, and has nothing to do with Born-Again Christians (which are the ones being persecuted in these countries.)

#12   Blue 

• Master Adept
                  • Interests:Video Games and Drift Racing

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:39 AM

Did you guys here about the woman who is going to get whipped because she named a teddy bear "Muhammed?"
                  Thats just crazy.
                  Any ways back on topic, yes, the violence towards christians is getting higher and higher it seems. Still, the church isn't going to let it stop them in missions.

#13   Laharl 

• Banned
                    • AKA Dullahan

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:34 PM

View PostBlue, on Nov 29 2007, 07:39 AM, said:

Any ways back on topic, yes, the violence towards christians is getting higher and higher it seems.

has nothing to do with the increase in christian countries invading non christian ones. nope. nothing at all.

the bear thing is crazy. i'd call my son Jesus Moses Muhammed so each religion can hate him equally.

its kinda sad that Muhammed is a popular boys name in Islam but use it out of that context and your pure evil

#14   Ravenblade 

• Disciple

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:18 PM

I would like to point out that the "Christianity caused the crusades" tag is getting a little old now - it was like 600 years ago, the world was a different place, get over it. It was fought for political reasons (same as every other war throughout history) with religion just being used as the excuse (same as almost every other war throughout history). This means that if Christianity hadnt existed, all the same stuff would have happened, just with a different "reason". Wake up to the fact that we are all controlled.

Anyways, as for this topic, Im not sure about Christian persecution in China - when i was there i actually attended a lovely Catholic Mass in a very pretty Cathedral in the middle of Beijing. We were warned on arrival not to push our views onto other people, but beyond that, no one said anything to me about being Christian and i met an awful lot of Chinese who shared my faith. I suppose one could argue that the Chinese state controls the Catholic Church in China (rather than the Pope) and that this is oppression of sorts but its not exactly violent.

As for other countries...I think we all just have to accept that the rest of the world isnt as advanced as the West, and still believes that religion through bombs is the way forward. What they dont realise is that we have freed ourselves from the controls of religion, having now swapped them for the controls of globalisation, money, and the most retarded legal systems the world has ever known (specifically, the mass sueing campaigns). Aren't we progressive?

Also, that woman who got in trouble for naming a teddy bear muhammed ended up with 6 days imprisonment and was allowed to return to Britain. So it isnt all bad.

AND, arent all Christians meant to willingly accept persecution anyway? o.O

#15   Laharl 

• Banned
                        • AKA Dullahan

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:32 PM

View PostRavenblade, on Dec 13 2007, 07:18 PM, said:

As for other countries...I think we all just have to accept that the rest of the world isnt as advanced as the West, and still believes that religion through bombs is the way forward.

your credibility just died.

and the ignorant comment of the topic award goes to: Ravenblade

wow the middle east has been busy hasn't it? conquering Asia, Africa and South America.

The christians are just doing the same, except their bombs fall from planes and arent strapped to people

Also on the crusades, i'm well aware the world has changed, its the mentality of christianity that remains the same at its powerbase.

#16   Ravenblade 

• Disciple

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:13 PM

K, but for the record, that paragraph was loaded more against the west than the middle east.

And where the hell are you from exactly? Im pretty sure no church within the UK has supported the invasion of Iraq. What the US does with its religion based politics is its own business but i was also under the impression that you guys had a separation of Church and State.

This leads me to believe that SHOCK HORROR it was POLITICS that lead the US to war, and not religion. Perhaps it was oil, maybe the spreading of democracy, could it be a show of strength - who knows?! but it sure as hell wasn't "God said we should go bomb the hell out of the middle east and the Christian world on the whole agrees!"

The mentality of our powerbase is centred around money, that is the single most obvious fact of the Western world. If the West was a remotely moral part of the world then perhaps you could argue Christianity still held sway, but the sad truth is that we hung up the "good old traditional values" thing a long time ago, and now we're just greedy.

Ignorant comment my ***, yours views are so narrow focused your comment actually sounds like Christian groups buy planes and go drop bombs on the middle east. That's actually the role of governments. You would be more likely to find the Christian groups trying to save the people under the bombs - ever heard of the Red Cross?

#17   Eugine 

• Master Adept
                            • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:17 PM

Raven, read this...

#18   Ravenblade 

• Disciple

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:20 PM

Yes, im aware Mr Bush thinks he's doing God's work. But if we're all ready to accept that those muslims who blow people up do not represent all of Islam, we have to be ready to accept that the US President also does not represent all of Christianity. To be honest, I dont see how any of you could think he had the intelligence to mastermind any of this anyway.

And furthermore, if you wanted to provide legitimacy for a widely unpoplar invasion in a largely Christian country, wouldn't you say something like that? In the UK, if Tony Blair had said that, he would have been hounded out of office - no one thought it as about Christianity over here - we all thought it was about oil and "remaining friends with the US"

Actually i just thought - ive ended up contradicting myself here - i guess religion still offers some form of control in the US =/ Perhaps the west isnt as progressive as i thought...

#19   Laharl 

• Banned
                                • AKA Dullahan

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:37 PM

View PostRavenblade, on Dec 13 2007, 08:13 PM, said:

What the US does with its religion based politics is its own business

when these decisions have a direct affect on the world, i for one think is okay for non-americans to show interest.

This leads me to believe that SHOCK HORROR it was POLITICS that lead the US to war, and not religion. Perhaps it was oil, maybe the spreading of democracy, could it be a show of strength - who knows?! but it sure as hell wasn't "God said we should go bomb the hell out of the middle east and the Christian world on the whole agrees!"

funny i dont recall saying politics had nothing to the war, i was under the impression even the greatest of idiots could see war and politics go hand in hand.

And damn it, eugine beat me to it.

When zealous leader of a zealous nation declares war bon a country that happens to have a different religion, you cannot deny that religion has some impact upon this.

The mentality of our powerbase is centred around money, that is the single most obvious fact of the Western world. If the West was a remotely moral part of the world then perhaps you could argue Christianity still held sway, but the sad truth is that we hung up the "good old traditional values" thing a long time ago, and now we're just greedy.

guess where a lot this money comes? non christian nations that have been invaded.

the oil from Iraq should lighten the cost of invasion considerably.

Ignorant comment my ***, yours views are so narrow focused your comment actually sounds like Christian groups buy planes and go drop bombs on the middle east. That's actually the role of governments. You would be more likely to find the Christian groups trying to save the people under the bombs - ever heard of the Red Cross?

contort my words how you wish, you know i was refering to planes of war. Yes i have heard of the Red Cross, shame they account for a minority of christianity just as the islamic extremists are also a minority. shame that a lot of people are quite happy to generalize this so it applies to the entire Muslim populace.

View PostRavenblade, on Dec 13 2007, 08:20 PM, said:

Yes, im aware Mr Bush thinks he's doing God's work. But if we're all ready to accept that those muslims who blow people up do not represent all of Islam, we have to be ready to accept that the US President also does not represent all of Christianity. To be honest, I dont see how any of you could think he had the intelligence to mastermind any of this anyway.

True, but the islamic miniority does not hlod the same kind of power as Mr. Bush. is lack of intelligence clearly shows there are other high ranking officials willing to use chrisitianity as a fornt to do their own bidding

[quote name='Ravenblade' date='Dec 13 2007, 08:20 PM' post='351858']
                                And furthermore, if you wanted to provide legitimacy for a widely unpoplar invasion in a largely Christian country, wouldn't you say something like that? In the UK, if Tony Blair had said that, he would have been hounded out of office - no one thought it as about Christianity over here - we all thought it was about oil and "remaining friends with the US"[/quotel]

The US is a more religious than the UK by a lot. It would not surprise me if that comment did something to sway the opinion of those in the bible belt

#20   Ravenblade 

• Disciple

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:55 PM

well of course, id be inclined to agree that that comment would indeed sway the Bible belt - im not saying that Christianity has not been used as a tool here - my point was that sweeping generalisations such as "Christians dropping bombs on middle eastern countries" is completely out of order.

You have just said yourself that Christianity has been used as a front by high ranking officers. I do not dispute this - infact, if you refer back to my original post, thats exactly the kind of thing i said Christianity got bad press for. My original point was that all this stuff would happen with or without Christianity, and so blaming the excuse, as you are doing, is totally pointless. You need to blame the politics.

I will not be grouped in with this - i am Christian and opposed the Western middle eastern policies from day one, as a result of my religious beliefs. I cannot believe that this many people outside of the UK actually believe that religion matters to anyone in power besides forcing stupider people to do their bidding x.x

#21   Lightning Star 

• Master Adept
                                    • Interests:I've got hobby A.D.D.
                                    • AKA lightningstar/Icy

Posted 15 December 2007 - 01:47 AM

Religious wars have taken place. Obviously, anyone who doesn't know that is an ignorant fool. You can't simply point the finger at Christianity--look at the ones who killed thousands of lives on 911. The terrorists did what they did because they believed it was right.

I think the bottom line comes down to how far you should go to express your beliefs. In every religion there are radicals. There are radical Christians, Jews, Muslims. (Well, maybe not Buddhism, I'm not sure. That seems to be somewhat of an oxymoron. Heh, radical Buddhist...)

One thing is for sure, it's a losing battle here on earth. We cannot know what lies ahead, therefore, we make judgments about what we think is right and wrong. Someday we'll figure out, and in the mean time, I've come to the conclusion that when arguing the topic, there is never a true "winner".

#22   Ravenblade 

• Disciple

Posted 15 December 2007 - 10:48 AM

You know, i dont actually believe Bin Laden did 9/11 for religious reasons, I also think that was political. He wanted to send a message to America to get the hell out of the Middle East and he did. There's nothing religious about that, especially as he used to accept so much US help. He has however used religion to whip up muslim wrath upon the West. So...another tool to manipulate the masses. Im sure people would disagree with this point but im just showing consistancy of opinion on my part.

Its also worth pointing out that we're not fighting any particular country in this Bin Laden thing so its strange to call it a War. We're fighting a radical group that belongs to no country in particular.

EDIT - we are so far off topic now its unreal x.x The point i wish people had picked up one was that China doesnt persecute Christians in any noticeable way >O *defends China*

Page 1 of 1
                                      • You cannot start a new topic
                                      • You cannot reply to this topic