• You cannot reply to this topic

Sukoden

#1   Drizzy Drake 

• God
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Veterans
    • AKA A Gangster Chimppp

Posted 29 December 2007 - 05:27 PM

So I was looking through my collection of old PS1 games and I came across the original Sukoden. I then remembered how fun of a game it was and I was wondering if anybody here has played any of the sequels, and if yes, are they worth buying.

#2   Folcon 

• Master Adept
      • Interests:video games, RPGs in particular, reading, mostly sci-fi and Graphic Novels, Kenshin is the best.<br />
      • AKA escout

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:21 AM

For sure. I have III-V and they are fun. Only beaten IV though. The story is great and the characters are memorable. If you enjoyed the first, you'll enjoy the others. I do cation one thing about IV though, it has lots of tidious sailing if you want to get everything. Its not as bad as LoZ:WW, but it is still anoying. There is definatly some good jokes in throughout if you have the patince to collect all 108 characters. Works that way for all of them. I hope they make remakes of I and II soon, I can't find them for the PS one.

#3   Laharl 

• Banned
        • Interests:research it
        • AKA Dullahan

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:24 AM

Suikoden I and II are two of the best RPGs ever made.

Sadly III-V vary between poor and competent

Tactics is one of the worst SRPGs ever released.

if you want my reasons dig up the yop 10 RPGs thread

found em

View Postlaharl the slayer, on Nov 4 2007, 02:15 PM, said:

5. Suikoden i'm kinda cheating here and including the second game aswell, i just love them both! tis a real shame the series died on its arse after the second game. Anyway the Suikoden games have to have the largest casts of any RPG, although only around 20 of the 108 are integral to the storyline. I never felt overwhelmed by the number if characters and i think that's pretty damn impressive. Plots in both games are outstanding, solidly based in politics and war. The gameplay is simplistic but very enjoyable as a result of it, you are constantly exploring, eager to find new charcters to recruit to your army. the battle system is sufficient, nothing spectacular although the runes and the second games combine attacks do add a little depth. The Suikoden games are a lot shorter than they appear, i think it took me 80 hours to complete them both first time through. There are a few secrets to do at the end but i always find these games very replayable and i've completed them both around 4 times. Miss Higashino outdoes herself with fantastic soundtracks for both games.

View Postlaharl the slayer, on Nov 4 2007, 03:52 PM, said:

every Suikoden games has been released in the US (thats 1,2,3,4,5 and tactics). hell i have PAL copies of I and II

for me the series went downhill drastically after the second installment, Suikoden III was average at best, lacking and flawed in most areas, especially th battle system. I haven't played IV, mostly becuase it doesnt look all that great and it wasnt recieved particularly well. Suikoden V was an actual good game, just nothing spectacular, i see as a step in the right direction and little else. Tactics is a god awful excuse of a SRPG as in one of the worst ever made, it's just so badly designed and just plain unfair at times, seriously avoid this crap and play FF Tactics or Disgaea instead. I say the series has died on its arse because the first two games were of such quality and the other titles dont even half way to their greatness. Of course it aint gonna be easy to track them down, they should be in the region of $60-$100 on original, probably more. Although there was a rumour of a PSP port for both of them...

Page 1 of 1
        • You cannot start a new topic
        • You cannot reply to this topic