• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Php & Mysql

#1   Golden Legacy 

• Can't touch this.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Admin

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:59 PM

Starting tomorrow I'll be taking a Web Application Development course. According to the syllabus, the two languages that will be covered are PHP and MySQL. Speaking from my lack of experience with anything in Web Design (all I know is some self-taught basic HTML), I'm curious - what can be accomplished with a thorough grasp of the two? How do they differ, and what are their limits (if any)?

#2   Eugine 

• Master Adept
      • Group: Veterans
      • AKA YouTube Dude

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:12 PM

I lost interest in web designing a few years back, so correct me if I am wrong ^_~
      PHP is used for writing scripts, while MYSQL is used for database management. Also, both make your life as a web designer much easier. Like I think the new GSS wouldn't be possible without the two.

I think everyone will suggest getting to know both eventually, but not before knowing HTML, or CSS.

#3   Toasty 

• The toast in your toaster
        • Group: Veterans
        • Interests:Parkour, Martial Arts, Music, Network Administration,
        • AKA The toast in the toaster in your kitchen.

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:32 PM

If you want to brush up on it, or get an edge for class, go here: http://www.w3schools.com/

Best web based coding tutorials around imo.

anyway, I never really tried to learn PHP, but it's basically a programming code for the web. Just not as powerful as Java or C++/#. I think PHP and javascript look a lot alike though.

Anyway, the MySQL thing is basically just the file cabinet that PHP refers to when executing code. But you can do some pretty interesting things with them from what I hear.

#4   Max 

• Administrator
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:30 PM

PHP is a web programming language that powers most non-commercial websites (though even some big sites like Yahoo, Digg, etc.). Things like Wordpress, Joomla, IPB, vBulletin, etc are all written in PHP.

MySQL is a database application, and is thus used to store information. PHP and MySQL, both being free (and open source), tend to be packaged together, and can be found on just about every non-Windows web hosting package out there.

GSS is currently written using PHP/MySQL, and has been through its entire history. The new version of GSS is being written in Python, but still uses MySQL for the database. Overall, with PHP and MySQL, you can do almost anything in web development.

If you need any help, you know how to contact me :)

#5   Nick Presta 

• Master Adept

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:17 PM

Max summed up PHP and MySQLI nicely. I'm sure you will get the "official" definition once you start class.

I, too, would like to say that I'm available to review your code, bounce ideas off of, or help you with writing your scripts.

Page 1 of 1
            • You cannot start a new topic
            • You cannot reply to this topic